Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Risks Wrath of
May 5, 2023 8:45 AM CDT
One Coronation Crown Jewel Risks Wrath of Prince William
Rod Camilla will hold would go against his anti-ivory stance; plus, other crown jewel controversies
- The royal family will be pulling out all the stops for King Charles III's coronation on Saturday, including showing off the revered crown jewels, the gems and other ceremonial objects that are dusted off for crownings of sovereigns and their consorts.
Town & Country
notes the regalia isn't...
It Wasn't Quartz
Mar 17, 2023 12:59 PM CDT
The Quartz Seemed Extra Shiny. It Wasn't Quartz
Tennessee's David Anderson finds 3.29-carat 'Big, Ugly Diamond' in Arkansas state park
- More than 75,000 diamonds have been found at Arkansas' Crater of Diamonds State Park over the past century or so, with more than 120 emerging from the earth this year alone. Park regular David Anderson just added one more to the mix, and he's already got a name...
Camilla Won't Wear
Feb 15, 2023 7:15 PM CST
Camilla Won't Wear Controversial Crown at Coronation
The Kohinoor will stay out of the spotlight
- A potential diplomatic row has been avoided. The BBC reports Camilla, queen consort, will not wear the crown containing the Kohinoor (or Koh-i-Noor) diamond—which India has argued it should have ownership of—when she is crowned alongside King Charles III in May. That diamond is part of the crown...
Crypto Entrepreneur Says
He Bought Space Diamond
Feb 10, 2022 6:20 AM CST
Crypto Entrepreneur Says He Bought Space Diamond
He says Enigma gem will be renamed HEX.com
. A rare black diamond believed to have come from space has been sold for $4.3 million—some $2.5 million less than Sotheby's expected. The auction house says the 555.55 carat "Enigma" diamond, which it calls " one of the rarest, billion-year-old cosmic wonders known...
Is Not Having It
Aug 27, 2021 5:00 AM CDT
Diamond Debate? Beyonce's Mom Is Not Having It
Tina Knowles hits back at criticism of her daughter over Tiffany Diamond
- Beyonce made history when she became the first Black woman to wear the Tiffany diamond —but she also sparked controversy. As Karen Attiah points out in the
, there's a disturbing story behind the 128.54 carat yellow diamond, and in the opinion of many, "it...
Beyoncé Is Fourth Woman
to Wear Famous Diamond
Aug 23, 2021 12:32 PM CDT
Beyoncé Is Fourth Woman to Wear Famous Diamond
She wears iconic Tiffany diamond in new campaign for Tiffany & Co.
- Beyoncé has joined diplomat's wife Mary Whitehouse, Audrey Hepburn, and Lady Gaga in a very exclusive club. For a new Tiffany & Co. ad campaign, the singer became the fourth person—and the first Black woman—to wear the famous 128.54-carat Tiffany Diamond, CNN reports. The gem, found...
One of the Biggest
Diamonds Ever Is Found
Jun 17, 2021 1:49 PM CDT
One of the Biggest Diamonds Ever Is Found
At 1,098 carats, it would be the third-largest gem-quality stone in history
- There's no estimate yet on what price it may fetch, but it's safe to say the coffers of Botswana will be getting a nice little bump. Miners found a diamond believed to be the third-biggest "gem quality" stone in history, reports Reuters . (See what it looks like...
World's Largest Jeweler
Makes Huge Pivot
May 4, 2021 11:52 AM CDT
World's Largest Jeweler Makes Huge Pivot on Diamonds
Pandora will sell lab-made diamonds only from now on in the name of sustainability, affordability
- "Laboratory-made diamonds are a girl's best friend" may not have the same ring to it, but the world's largest jeweler is now banking on a shift in that direction and hoping it will be a lucrative one. The BBC reports that Pandora will cease to sell mined...
Buyer of $15.7M Diamond
'Bagged a Bargain'
Oct 5, 2020 3:36 PM CDT
Buyer of $15.7M Diamond 'Bagged a Bargain'
Sale of 'conflict-free' diamond breaks multiple records
- An anonymous bidder got a gem of a deal Monday when they snapped up a flawless 102-carat diamond for $15.7 million, experts say. The sale of the diamond found in northern Ontario in 2018 broke multiple records, the CBC reports. It broke the record for a diamond sold at...
She Found No
Diamonds for an
Hour. Then She
Went to YouTube
Aug 22, 2019 11:00 AM CDT
She Found No Diamonds for an Hour. Then She Went to YouTube
Miranda Hollingshead scores big at Crater of Diamonds
- A first-time visitor to Arkansas' Crater of Diamonds State Park turned to YouTube for help in finding a gleaming rock and, almost immediately, spotted one. After searching through the dirt for about an hour on a spur-of-the-moment family outing on Aug. 16, Miranda Hollingshead of Bogata, Texas, sat down in...
What Did Teacher
Do on Vacation?
Jul 31, 2019 1:33 AM CDT
What Did Teacher Do on Vacation? Something Awesome
Nebraska teacher found 2.12-carat diamond at state park
- What did you do on your summer vacation? Josh Lanik's class will have a tough time topping his story. The 36-year-old Nebraska teacher managed to find the biggest diamond found in 2019 to-date at Crater of Diamonds State Park during a two-hour visit last week. A press release from...
Found in Canada's
Dec 15, 2018 8:00 AM CST
'Astonishing Gemstone' Found in Canada's Unforgiving North
552-carat yellow diamond was unearthed in the Northwest Territories, just south of Arctic Circle
- Gigantic gemstones don't typically emerge out of Canadian mines like they do in South Africa, but a big find in the Northwest Territories has just smashed that stereotype. Bloomberg reports a 552-carat yellow diamond the size of a chicken egg (picture here ) was found there in October, and...
Paris Hilton Is Done
With Her 'Perfect' Man
Nov 20, 2018 10:00 AM CST
Paris Hilton Is Done With Her 'Perfect' Man
Heiress calls off engagement to actor Chris Zylka
- Ten months have given Paris Hilton a fresh perspective on the man she once said was "perfect for me in every way." The great-granddaughter of hotel magnate Conrad Hilton has reportedly broken her engagement to actor Chris Zylka, who proposed on a January ski trip. "Paris broke...
Diamond Found in Africa
Weighs More Than a Baseball
Jan 15, 2018 3:15 PM CST
Diamond Found in Africa Weighs More Than a Baseball
The Lesotho diamond is worth tens of millions of dollars
- Today a London-based gem company announced the discovery of a diamond that weighs 910 carats, making it the fifth-largest gem-quality diamond ever found by man. At 6.4 ounces, the diamond, which was pulled from a mine in the small African kingdom of Lesotho, is bigger than a baseball and...
Find of a
Jun 8, 2017 11:42 AM CDT
Flea Market Find of a Lifetime Is Sold
26-carat diamond fetches $848K
- She bought it for $15, expected to sell it for $450,000, and instead got $848,000 for a whopping 56,500% return on her original investment. The mystery seller, who snatched up a chunky "costume jewelry" ring at a flea market in London in the 1980s, parted with...
She Bought the
for $15. But It
in case you missed it
May 22, 2017 8:14 AM CDT
She Bought the 'Costume Jewelry' for $15. But It Was Real
Ring could sell for as much as $450K next month
- It was an almost gaudily large piece of costume jewelry picked up for about $15 in the 1980s, and its owner apparently liked it—she "would wear it out shopping, wear it day-to-day." She almost certainly likes it much, much more now. The ring, bought at a car-boot...
Apr 5, 2017 11:33 AM CDT
This Diamond Just Smashed Auction Records
'Pink Star' sells for $71.2M in Hong Kong
- A stunning 59.6 carat diamond known as the "Pink Star" sold for $71.2 million at a Sotheby's auction Tuesday in Hong Kong, setting a new world record for any diamond or jewel, according to the auction house. The oval mixed-cut diamond smashed the $60 million pre-sale...
Man Finds Huge Diamond,
Decides to Give It Up
Mar 17, 2017 2:35 AM CDT
Man Finds Huge Diamond, Decides to Give It Up
Gives it to government to fund development in Sierra Leone
- A pastor in Sierra Leone has discovered the largest uncut diamond found in the West African country for more than four decades and has turned it over to the government, saying he hopes it helps to boost recent development in his impoverished nation. Pastor Emmanuel Momoh found the 706-carat alluvial...
Teen Finds 'Superman's
Diamond' in Arkansas Park
Mar 16, 2017 6:46 PM CDT
Teen Finds 'Superman's Diamond' in Arkansas Park
The 7.44 carat diamond is 7th largest found at park in nearly 50 years
- A teenager has found a 7.44 carat diamond at a state park in southwestern Arkansas, the AP reports. Officials at Crater of Diamonds State Park at Murfreesboro say the rock found Saturday by 14-year-old Kalel Langford is the seventh largest found since the park was established in 1972. The...
India Wants Its
Apr 20, 2016 7:54 AM CDT
India Wants Its 'Unlucky' Diamond Back
- It's not often that a solicitor general's comments make international waves, but Indian Solicitor General Ranjit Kumar has managed to achieve such a feat. He told his country's Supreme Court on Monday that the Koh-i-Noor diamond, in Britain's possession since 1849, "was neither stolen nor...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
First Trump Co-Defendant Pleads Guilty in Georgia
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
Overturned Truck With Toxic Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
Mick Jagger: My Kids Don't Need $500M
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.