Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
No Way Home
Audiences Out Of Their Homes
Jan 2, 2022 2:30 PM CST
No Way Home
Is Luring Audiences Out Of Their Homes
Superhero movies seem to be the only thing people will go to theaters to see
- Hollywood closed out 2021 with more fireworks at the box office for
Spider-Man: No Way Home
, which topped all films for the third straight week and already charts among the highest grossing films ever. But even with all the champagne popping for it, the film industry heads into 2022 with...
Shines On Big Screen
Despite Hybrid Release
Oct 24, 2021 4:10 PM CDT
Shines On Big Screen Despite Hybrid Release
Long-awaited sci-fi update sold $40.1M in tickets
- Denis Villeneuve's
debuted with $40.1 million in ticket sales in its opening weekend in North America, drawing a large number of moviegoers to see the thundering sci-fi epic on the big screen despite it also being available to stream in homes. Warner Bros. launched the Legendary Entertainment...
'Explosive Diarrhea' Outbreak
Halts Slip 'N Slide Show
Jun 12, 2021 12:55 PM CDT
'Explosive Diarrhea' Outbreak Halts Slip 'N Slide Show
NBC pauses production after area near set tests positive for giardia
- Here are two ideas you'd want to be as far apart as possible: Slip 'N Slide and explosive diarrhea. And in the interest of keeping one away from the other, NBC shut down production on
Ultimate Slip 'N Slide
, a summer game show featuring a water...
Quiet Place II
Hollywood Sighs in Relief
May 30, 2021 3:38 PM CDT
Quiet Place II
Opens Big, Hollywood Sighs in Relief
Horror sequel will take in $58M over the long weekend
- Moviegoing increasingly looks like it didn't die during the pandemic. It just went into hibernation. John Krasinski's thriller sequel
A Quiet Place Part II
opened over the Memorial Day weekend to a pandemic-best $48.4 million, according to studio estimates Sunday. Including the Monday holiday, the studio...
Mom-Speak for You
May 12, 2019 7:43 AM CDT
Translates Mom-Speak for You
'Splendid' is really rather complicated and all-encompassing in the UK
- President Trump did not escape as the target of
Saturday Night Live's
latest Cold Open, but the sweeter, funnier bit came during guest-host Emma Thompson's opening monologue. Joined the
alums Tina Fey and Amy Poehler, the trio proceeded to translate what your mother really means when she'...
Drop Surprise Album
Jun 17, 2018 6:12 AM CDT
Beyonce, Jay-Z Drop Surprise Album
And 'Everything Is Love' isn't all love, especially if you're the Grammys
- Out of the blue, Beyonce and Jay-Z dropped a joint album that's being described as both unexpected and long-rumored, reports Pitchfork . But
Everything Is Love
is not all sunshine and rainbows from the duo now going by The Carters, particularly for the Grammys (where Jay-Z went 0-8 at the...
Blue Man Group
Will Pay a Guy $3M
Jun 16, 2018 11:00 AM CDT
Blue Man Group Will Pay a Guy $3M
Composer Ian Pai had sought $150 million for damages
- Blue Man Group has agreed to pay Ian Pai more than $3 million to settle his claim that he helped the group compose many of its songs and contributed to its success, reports the
New York Times
. Pai had originally sued the group in 2016 for $150 million in compensatory...
May 17, 2018 11:00 AM CDT
Stan Lee: Company I Founded Stole My Identity
POW! Entertainment scoffs at $1B lawsuit
- POW! Entertainment is speaking out against what it says is a lawsuit "completely without merit." It comes, surprisingly, from the company's own co-founder, 95-year-old Stan Lee. Filed Tuesday, the $1 billion suit accuses POW! of a "fraudulent" deal that gave the company "the exclusive right...
This Is Us
Trump World on
Mar 11, 2018 7:33 AM CDT
This Is Us
Meets Trump World on
Sterling K. Brown guest-hosts, spoofs his touchy-feely NBC hit
- Emmy-winning actor Sterling K. Brown is having a moment: Promoting the hit
This Is Us
star hosted the latest episode of
Saturday Night Live,
and by all accounts nailed it, reports
He spoofed his tearjerker NBC series with one focused on the Trump administration called...
Shape of Water
Mar 5, 2018 5:11 AM CST
Shape of Water
Director Del Toro has a big night
- Some said it was nothing more than "masochistic nostalgia," while others predicted it was going to provide the "ultimate Hollywood ending." That would be Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty making a repeat appearance Sunday night to present the award for best picture—after famously announcing the...
Weinstein's Accusers Take
Center Stage at Award Show
Mar 4, 2018 10:13 PM CST
Weinstein's Accusers Take Center Stage at Award Show
Ashley Judd, Annabella Sciorra, and Salma Hayek appear for tribute to Me Too, Time's Up movements
- Jimmy Kimmel referenced Harvey Weinstein in his opening monologue for the 90th Academy Awards, but it got more personal when three of Weinstein's accusers stepped out onto the stage Sunday night to introduce a video montage on gender equality in Hollywood, per
and E! Online . "It's...
Actress on Oscar
First: 'Thank You
for This Moment'
Mar 4, 2018 9:19 PM CST
Transgender Actress on Oscar First: 'Thank You for This Moment'
Daniela Vega is award show's first openly transgender presenter
A Fantastic Woman
won best foreign language film at the Oscars Sunday night, and its star, Daniela Vega, made her own mark on the Dolby Theatre stage. Per the
New York Daily News
, the 28-year-old actress became the first transgender presenter at the Oscars, introducing Sufjan Stevens and...
Stars Stick Up
Mar 4, 2018 8:54 PM CST
2 Immigrant Stars Stick Up for Dreamers
Lupita Nyong'o and Kumail Nanjiani: 'Dreams are the foundation of America'
- The fate of Dreamers in the US is still up in the air , but at the Oscars Sunday night, two presenters offered their support to this vulnerable group. Lupita Nyong'o and Kumail Nanjiani took the stage to offer the award for best production design, with Nyong'o deadpanning, "...
Oscars Kick Off
With #MeToo, Politics,
and ... a Jet Ski
Mar 4, 2018 7:39 PM CST
Oscars Kick Off With #MeToo, Politics, and ... a Jet Ski
Watercraft up for grabs for shortest acceptance speech, per Jimmy Kimmel
- Jimmy Kimmel kicked off the 90th Academy Awards at the Dolby Theatre, his second turn hosting, by first riffing on
year's Academy Awards—specifically, Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway messing up the best picture announcement . "This year when you hear your name called, don't get up...
Jan 8, 2018 11:33 AM CST
Actress Who Wore Red Takes Flak After Globes
Blanca Blanco didn't like being shamed for color choice on a night noting Me Too movement
- Nearly every star attending the Golden Globes wore black as a statement against sexual misconduct in Hollywood—so one red dress didn't blend in on the red carpet. Actress Blanca Blanco ditched the black dress code for a red cutout dress and soon saw heat on social media. Others...
Causing a Stir
at the Globes: an
Jan 8, 2018 2:03 AM CST
Causing a Stir at the Globes: an Ex-Laughingstock, an Ex-Pariah
Tommy Wiseau, Tonya Harding in the spotlight as movies on their careers are recognized
- You never know what's going to happen at the Golden Globes, or who's going to show up. Per EW.com , James Franco had vowed to bring Tommy Wiseau, the eccentric filmmaker he portrayed in
The Disaster Artist
, to the awards show, and he kept his word—and Wiseau...
Oprah's Message to 'Brutally
Powerful Men': 'Time Is Up'
Jan 7, 2018 10:36 PM CST
Oprah's Message to 'Brutally Powerful Men': 'Time Is Up'
Winfrey is first black woman to win Cecil B. DeMille Award
- Host Seth Meyers joked about Oprah Winfrey running for president in his opening monologue at the Golden Globes—and after giving what the Independent calls "one of the most iconic speeches of all time" at the awards show, Oprah seems to have the speech-making part of the job nailed....
Will Oprah, Tom
Hanks Run for
Jan 7, 2018 8:26 PM CST
Will Oprah, Tom Hanks Run for Office After Meyers' Opener?
Well, he did ask them, in a reverse-psychology kind of way
- While Debra Messing and other celebrities brought up gender inequality in Hollywood on the red carpet at the Golden Globes on Sunday, with a particular focus on the pay gap, host Seth Meyers jumped right into the fray on Sunday night—starting with the first line in his opening monologue,...
You May Be Afraid
to Type Your Favorite
TV Show Into This Site
Dec 15, 2017 8:34 AM CST
You May Be Afraid to Type Your Favorite TV Show Into This Site
Rotten Apples lists films, shows linked to those with sex misconduct accusations against them
- There have been so many allegations of sexual misconduct in Hollywood since the Harvey Weinstein story broke that it's been hard to keep track. Now one group is trying to do just that, with a site
is calling "Rotten Tomatoes with a post-Weinstein twist." The...
Roy Moore a Little
Nov 12, 2017 8:03 AM CST
Sessions: Roy Moore a Little 'Too Alabama'
McKinnon's AG character makes a return amid latest controversy in Ala. Senate race
- As the sexual misconduct allegations roil the Alabama Senate race,
Saturday Night Live
waded right in with a sketch portraying candidate Roy Moore meeting with VP Mike Pence (Beck Bennett). Pence's advice: Get out. "Don’t think of it as ending your campaign, think of it as going...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
'Stealth Omicron' Has Arrived in the US
Secrets of Playboy 's Hugh Hefner Allegations Are Graphic
In This City, a US First on Gun Ownership
Alicia Witt on Parents' Deaths: 'I Had No Idea' Heat Was Out
Boy Who Wrote Letter About Guns and Murder Is Shot Dead
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.