Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
for Nazi Treasure
Comes to a Halt
May 2, 2023 11:51 AM CDT
'Digging Frenzy' for Nazi Treasure Comes to a Halt
Search for jewels, gold, silver rumored to be buried near tree in Dutch town of Ommeren is called off
- The "digging frenzy" is over. A treasure hunt near the Dutch village of Ommeren, prompted by the release of a map that purported to show where Nazi soldiers had buried $20 million worth of loot, has been called off, per Dutch News . A number of digs looking for the...
Old Map, 1930s Tale Spurs
Modern Hunt for Gold
Apr 23, 2023 8:45 AM CDT
Old Map, 1930s Tale Spurs Modern Hunt for Gold
'Los Angeles Times' digs into the fabled treasure of Mount Kokoweef in the Mojave Desert
- It's a great American yarn. Whether there's any actual gold at the heart of it is a whole other matter. Writing for the
Los Angeles Times
, Daniel Miller digs into the legend of a veritable river of gold said to exist somewhere in the caverns beneath Mount Kokoweef...
The Treasure Hunt Is Over.
Long Live the Treasure Hunt
Mar 26, 2023 10:10 AM CDT
The Treasure Hunt Is Over. Long Live the Treasure Hunt
'Popular Mechanics' looks at the never-ending Forrest Fenn hunt
- The thing about treasure hunts is that they end when the treasure is found. Or at least they're supposed to. But in the case of the famous Forrest Fenn treasure , that hasn't quite happened. As Svati Kirsten Narula explains in a deep dive at
, many obsessed...
Claim on Joe Rogan Podcast
Sparks a 'Bone Rush' in NYC
Jan 17, 2023 11:39 AM CST
Claim on Joe Rogan Podcast Sparks a 'Bone Rush' in NYC
Gold miner John Reeves says mammoth bones were dumped in East River in the 1940s
- Ask people what you might find buried in the muck at the bottom of New York City's East River and they'd likely say "mob boss" before thinking of mammoth bones. But several groups of treasure hunters have taken to the waterway in recent weeks after hearing a...
The Clues Were Ingenious, but
Staging the Hunt Would Kill Him
May 28, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
The Clues Were Ingenious, but Staging the Hunt Would Kill Him
Inside the treasure hunt that would claim Hunter Lewis' life
- A California college student who created an adventurous treasure hunt for family and friends as a Christmas gift is presumed to have died while hiding the treasure: Hunter Lewis, 21, was last seen on Dec. 30 paddling a canoe into the Pacific; the waters were frigid, he was clad in...
'Holy Grail' of Shipwrecks Is
Caked in Gold and Controversy
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 19, 2022 4:30 PM CST
'Holy Grail' of Shipwrecks Is Caked in Gold and Controversy
Colombia moves toward excavation of the San Jose despite disputed claim of ownership
- Colombia's government is taking steps to recover the so-called "holy grail" of Spanish colonial shipwrecks—thought to hold up to $20 billion worth of gold, silver, and precious stones—from its waters and at the same time taking heat from others with claims to the centuries-old treasure. As...
After 6 Years in Jail for Staying
Mum on Gold, a New Roadblock
Jan 26, 2022 6:32 AM CST
After 6 Years in Jail for Staying Mum on Gold, a New Roadblock
Treasure hunter Tommy Thompson has 2 months to find new lawyer in contempt of court case
- The long-running case of a former deep-sea treasure hunter marking his sixth year in jail for refusing to disclose the whereabouts of missing gold coins has hit yet another roadblock. Research scientist Tommy Thompson has been held in contempt of court since Dec. 15, 2015, for that refusal. He's...
Jul 1, 2021 6:55 AM CDT
$10K Utah Treasure Hunt Sparks Warning From Authorities
Utah officials warn treasure hunters after search-and-rescue team is called out
- For the second year running, two Utah men have hidden thousands of dollars somewhere in the wilderness and are urging treasure seekers to go out hunting for it. But many of those seekers are not exactly prepared for the hunt, leading officials to issue a warning to those in pursuit...
Prove Feds Sought
Fabled Pennsylvania Gold
Jun 25, 2021 7:21 AM CDT
Court Docs Prove Feds Sought Fabled Pennsylvania Gold
FBI agent applied for warrant in 2018 to keep Civil War-era cache out of state's hands
- An FBI agent applied for a federal warrant in 2018 to seize a fabled cache of US government gold he said was "stolen during the Civil War" and hidden in a Pennsylvania cave, per court documents unsealed Thursday. The newly unsealed affidavit confirms previous reporting by the AP that...
Treasure Hunt Requires You
to Crack Codes in 2 Books
Apr 11, 2021 3:01 PM CDT
Treasure Hunt Requires You to Crack Codes in 2 Books
One hurdle in scoring Golden Treasure of the Entente Cordiale: One book is in French
- A potentially lucrative treasure hunt is being offered to the public, though to crack the entire thing you'll need to know French—or at least partner with somebody who does. The latter idea is actually one of the points of the unusual challenge. Artist Michel Becker is the mastermind,...
There's $20K Hidden
Somewhere in Maine
Apr 11, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
There's $20K Hidden Somewhere in Maine
Some playing cards will help you find it
- A pair of Mainers have hidden $20,000 somewhere in the state and they're inviting treasure seekers to come and get it. The creators of the treasure hunt and the company behind the hunt, Dirigo Treasures LLC, are Kurt and Kelly Stokes of Newcastle, the
Lincoln County News
Man's 'Quest for Discovery' in
National Park Isn't Ending Well
Jan 6, 2021 7:24 AM CST
Man's 'Quest for Discovery' in National Park Isn't Ending Well
Rodrick Dow Craythorn pleads guilty to digging up Yellowstone cemetery for Forrest Fenn prize
- A man accused of digging up a Yellowstone National Park cemetery in his search for a famous buried treasure has admitted to his crimes. The
New York Times
reports that, nearly four months after he was indicted by a federal grand jury, 52-year-old Rodrick Dow Craythorn of Utah entered a...
Feds: Man Spent 8 Months in
Cemetery Digging for Treasure
Oct 23, 2020 7:48 AM CDT
Feds: Man Spent 8 Months in Cemetery Digging for Treasure
Now Rodrick Dow Craythorn has been indicted after his alleged search for Forrest Fenn booty
- We still don't know who found Forrest Fenn's famous treasure in Wyoming's Rocky Mountains, but it apparently wasn't Rodrick Dow Craythorn. What Craythorn got instead, per NBC News : a federal grand jury indictment for allegedly digging in a Yellowstone National Park cemetery searching for the long-elusive...
3 Months After Someone Found
His Treasure, Forrest Fenn Dies
Sep 10, 2020 2:31 AM CDT
3 Months After Someone Found His Treasure, Forrest Fenn Dies
New Mexico art dealer dead at 90
- An estimated 350,000 people searched for the treasure hidden in 2010 by Forrest Fenn, with at least five dying in the attempt . Three months after Fenn announced someone had finally found the $2 million cache of gold, jewels, artifacts, and other valuables, the New Mexico art dealer is dead....
Treasure Hunt Ends, but
a New Fight Is Starting
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 13, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
Treasure Hunt Ends, but a New Fight Is Starting
Anonymous hunter found it, and some of those who lost feel cheated
- It was a good old-fashioned treasure hunt , but one that took on mythic proportions and resulted in at least five deaths. And now that the "treasure hunt" part is over , a big legal mess is unfolding. Meanwhile, the man who started it all—89-year-old antiques dealer Forrest Fenn of...
Is Finally Found
Jun 7, 2020 3:35 PM CDT
Eccentric's Treasure Chest Is Finally Found
Forrest Fenn said it contained over $1M in gold and other goodies
- A bronze chest filled with gold, jewels, and other valuables worth more than $1 million and hidden a decade ago somewhere in the Rocky Mountain wilderness has been found, according to a famed art and antiquities collector who created the treasure hunt . Forrest Fenn, 89, told the
Santa Fe New
FBI: No Civil War Gold Here.
Treasure Hunters: Oh Yeah?
Oct 10, 2018 5:47 AM CDT
FBI: No Civil War Gold Here. Treasure Hunters: Oh Yeah?
Father-son team think the agency secretly grabbed up to $250M worth of the precious metal in Pa.
- The father-son duo of Dennis and Kem Parada spent years combing a bit of Pennsylvania wilderness with high-end metal detectors to prospect for a fabled cache of Civil War gold. They felt certain they'd found the hiding place, but at the end of the court-sanctioned excavation, the FBI in...
Feb 21, 2018 6:00 AM CST
4th Person Dies Seeking Elusive Treasure
Treasure hunter fell to his death in Yellowstone
- A 53-year-old Illinois man who fell to his death in Yellowstone National Park last year was looking for a supposed hidden cache of gold and jewels that has inspired thousands to hunt in vain across remote corners of the Western US, according to a report by park authorities. Billings, Montana,...
After Death, Fenn Might
Call Off Treasure Hunt
Jun 21, 2017 2:02 AM CDT
After Death, Fenn Might Call Off Treasure Hunt
State's top cop wants him to 'stop this nonsense'
- Forrest Fenn should retrieve the treasure he stashed in the wilderness before anybody else dies looking for it, New Mexico's top cop says. "I would implore that he stop this nonsense," New Mexico State Police Chief Pete Kassetas said after searchers found a body believed to be...
It's Like Willy Wonka's Golden
Ticket, but With UK Bank Notes
Feb 22, 2017 2:22 PM CST
It's Like Willy Wonka's Golden Ticket, but With UK Bank Notes
Only one of four are left, worth about $60,000
- Consumers in the UK are on the hunt for a rare and valuable Willy Wonka-style golden ticket—while the woman who found the third of only four in existence is donating it to charity. It all started when renowned "micro-engraver" Graham Short etched a 5mm-tall image of English author...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Texas Woman Whose Baby Won't Survive Goes to Court
A 65-Year-Old Christmas Classic Finally Hits No. 1
Hollywood Is Going After Lauren Boebert
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.