Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
The Clues Were Ingenious, but
Staging the Hunt Would Kill Him
May 28, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
The Clues Were Ingenious, but Staging the Hunt Would Kill Him
Inside the treasure hunt that would claim Hunter Lewis' life
- A California college student who created an adventurous treasure hunt for family and friends as a Christmas gift is presumed to have died while hiding the treasure: Hunter Lewis, 21, was last seen on Dec. 30 paddling a canoe into the Pacific; the waters were frigid, he was clad in...
'Holy Grail' of Shipwrecks Is
Caked in Gold and Controversy
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Feb 19, 2022 4:30 PM CST
'Holy Grail' of Shipwrecks Is Caked in Gold and Controversy
Colombia moves toward excavation of the San Jose despite disputed claim of ownership
- Colombia's government is taking steps to recover the so-called "holy grail" of Spanish colonial shipwrecks—thought to hold up to $20 billion worth of gold, silver, and precious stones—from its waters and at the same time taking heat from others with claims to the centuries-old treasure. As...
After 6 Years in Jail for Staying
Mum on Gold, a New Roadblock
Jan 26, 2022 6:32 AM CST
After 6 Years in Jail for Staying Mum on Gold, a New Roadblock
Treasure hunter Tommy Thompson has 2 months to find new lawyer in contempt of court case
- The long-running case of a former deep-sea treasure hunter marking his sixth year in jail for refusing to disclose the whereabouts of missing gold coins has hit yet another roadblock. Research scientist Tommy Thompson has been held in contempt of court since Dec. 15, 2015, for that refusal. He's...
Jul 1, 2021 6:55 AM CDT
$10K Utah Treasure Hunt Sparks Warning From Authorities
Utah officials warn treasure hunters after search-and-rescue team is called out
- For the second year running, two Utah men have hidden thousands of dollars somewhere in the wilderness and are urging treasure seekers to go out hunting for it. But many of those seekers are not exactly prepared for the hunt, leading officials to issue a warning to those in pursuit...
Prove Feds Sought
Fabled Pennsylvania Gold
Jun 25, 2021 7:21 AM CDT
Court Docs Prove Feds Sought Fabled Pennsylvania Gold
FBI agent applied for warrant in 2018 to keep Civil War-era cache out of state's hands
- An FBI agent applied for a federal warrant in 2018 to seize a fabled cache of US government gold he said was "stolen during the Civil War" and hidden in a Pennsylvania cave, per court documents unsealed Thursday. The newly unsealed affidavit confirms previous reporting by the AP that...
Treasure Hunt Requires You
to Crack Codes in 2 Books
Apr 11, 2021 3:01 PM CDT
Treasure Hunt Requires You to Crack Codes in 2 Books
One hurdle in scoring Golden Treasure of the Entente Cordiale: One book is in French
- A potentially lucrative treasure hunt is being offered to the public, though to crack the entire thing you'll need to know French—or at least partner with somebody who does. The latter idea is actually one of the points of the unusual challenge. Artist Michel Becker is the mastermind,...
There's $20K Hidden
Somewhere in Maine
Apr 11, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
There's $20K Hidden Somewhere in Maine
Some playing cards will help you find it
- A pair of Mainers have hidden $20,000 somewhere in the state and they're inviting treasure seekers to come and get it. The creators of the treasure hunt and the company behind the hunt, Dirigo Treasures LLC, are Kurt and Kelly Stokes of Newcastle, the
Lincoln County News
Man's 'Quest for Discovery' in
National Park Isn't Ending Well
Jan 6, 2021 7:24 AM CST
Man's 'Quest for Discovery' in National Park Isn't Ending Well
Rodrick Dow Craythorn pleads guilty to digging up Yellowstone cemetery for Forrest Fenn prize
- A man accused of digging up a Yellowstone National Park cemetery in his search for a famous buried treasure has admitted to his crimes. The
New York Times
reports that, nearly four months after he was indicted by a federal grand jury, 52-year-old Rodrick Dow Craythorn of Utah entered a...
Feds: Man Spent 8 Months in
Cemetery Digging for Treasure
Oct 23, 2020 7:48 AM CDT
Feds: Man Spent 8 Months in Cemetery Digging for Treasure
Now Rodrick Dow Craythorn has been indicted after his alleged search for Forrest Fenn booty
- We still don't know who found Forrest Fenn's famous treasure in Wyoming's Rocky Mountains, but it apparently wasn't Rodrick Dow Craythorn. What Craythorn got instead, per NBC News : a federal grand jury indictment for allegedly digging in a Yellowstone National Park cemetery searching for the long-elusive...
3 Months After Someone Found
His Treasure, Forrest Fenn Dies
Sep 10, 2020 2:31 AM CDT
3 Months After Someone Found His Treasure, Forrest Fenn Dies
New Mexico art dealer dead at 90
- An estimated 350,000 people searched for the treasure hidden in 2010 by Forrest Fenn, with at least five dying in the attempt . Three months after Fenn announced someone had finally found the $2 million cache of gold, jewels, artifacts, and other valuables, the New Mexico art dealer is dead....
Treasure Hunt Ends, but
a New Fight Is Starting
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 13, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
Treasure Hunt Ends, but a New Fight Is Starting
Anonymous hunter found it, and some of those who lost feel cheated
- It was a good old-fashioned treasure hunt , but one that took on mythic proportions and resulted in at least five deaths. And now that the "treasure hunt" part is over , a big legal mess is unfolding. Meanwhile, the man who started it all—89-year-old antiques dealer Forrest Fenn of...
Is Finally Found
Jun 7, 2020 3:35 PM CDT
Eccentric's Treasure Chest Is Finally Found
Forrest Fenn said it contained over $1M in gold and other goodies
- A bronze chest filled with gold, jewels, and other valuables worth more than $1 million and hidden a decade ago somewhere in the Rocky Mountain wilderness has been found, according to a famed art and antiquities collector who created the treasure hunt . Forrest Fenn, 89, told the
Santa Fe New
FBI: No Civil War Gold Here.
Treasure Hunters: Oh Yeah?
Oct 10, 2018 5:47 AM CDT
FBI: No Civil War Gold Here. Treasure Hunters: Oh Yeah?
Father-son team think the agency secretly grabbed up to $250M worth of the precious metal in Pa.
- The father-son duo of Dennis and Kem Parada spent years combing a bit of Pennsylvania wilderness with high-end metal detectors to prospect for a fabled cache of Civil War gold. They felt certain they'd found the hiding place, but at the end of the court-sanctioned excavation, the FBI in...
Feb 21, 2018 6:00 AM CST
4th Person Dies Seeking Elusive Treasure
Treasure hunter fell to his death in Yellowstone
- A 53-year-old Illinois man who fell to his death in Yellowstone National Park last year was looking for a supposed hidden cache of gold and jewels that has inspired thousands to hunt in vain across remote corners of the Western US, according to a report by park authorities. Billings, Montana,...
After Death, Fenn Might
Call Off Treasure Hunt
Jun 21, 2017 2:02 AM CDT
After Death, Fenn Might Call Off Treasure Hunt
State's top cop wants him to 'stop this nonsense'
- Forrest Fenn should retrieve the treasure he stashed in the wilderness before anybody else dies looking for it, New Mexico's top cop says. "I would implore that he stop this nonsense," New Mexico State Police Chief Pete Kassetas said after searchers found a body believed to be...
It's Like Willy Wonka's Golden
Ticket, but With UK Bank Notes
Feb 22, 2017 2:22 PM CST
It's Like Willy Wonka's Golden Ticket, but With UK Bank Notes
Only one of four are left, worth about $60,000
- Consumers in the UK are on the hunt for a rare and valuable Willy Wonka-style golden ticket—while the woman who found the third of only four in existence is donating it to charity. It all started when renowned "micro-engraver" Graham Short etched a 5mm-tall image of English author...
Artist Hides $16K in
Gold Bars on Beach
Aug 28, 2014 3:50 PM CDT
Artist Hides $16K in Gold Bars on Beach
And it's finders, keepers in Folkestone, England
- It's the kind of art project that even people who hate art projects can love: A German artist has hidden about $16,000 worth of gold bars on a beach in Folkestone, England, reports the
. Lucky treasure hunters can keep any they find. Artist Michael Sailstorfer calls the...
1982 Book Could Lead Way
to 10 Lost Treasures
in case you missed it
Jul 19, 2014 12:07 PM CDT
1982 Book Could Lead Way to 10 Lost Treasures
If you unearth one of the 10 keys, you can claim a precious gem
- In the early 1980s, Byron Preiss buried 12 keys underground in North America that, when found, can be turned in for gems worth $1,000 each. He and a number of collaborators created a book called
The Secret: A Treasure Hunt!
, published in 1982, that contains a dozen paintings and...
... for Space Rocks
Mar 20, 2014 7:42 AM CDT
Koreans on Treasure Hunt ... for Space Rocks
Hunters looking to cash in after a meteor shower
- Hundreds of South Koreans scouring the countryside of Jinju with metal detectors are on a treasure hunt—but rather than a gold rush, it's a meteorite-searching frenzy. After two black rocks found near the country's southern tip were confirmed to be fragments of a meteor—the first chondrites...
Hunt Turns Up
Nov 15, 2013 12:12 PM CST
Dream-Led Treasure Hunt Turns Up ... Nothing
$25K search has been suspended
- India ended a search for treasure beneath a 19th century fort after finding only a few bones and terracotta bricks but none of the gold predicted by a Hindu holy man's dream , an official said today. The search began Oct. 18 in Uttar Pradesh state in northern India after...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Judge: Trump Doesn't Have to Declare FBI Planted Evidence
One Take on Tagovailoa's Hit: 'How Are We So Stupid in 2022'
Former Cowboys Player Dies in Climbing Accident
Their Scheme Made Couple's Life 'Hell.' Now, Prison Time
Eliza Fletcher's Autopsy Results Are Released
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.