Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Coinbase to Users: You Could
Lose It All if We Go Bankrupt
May 12, 2022 6:42 AM CDT
Coinbase to Users: You Could Lose It All if We Go Bankrupt
But the company's CEO says there's 'no risk' of crypto exchange going bankrupt
- Coinbase, America's largest cryptocurrency exchange, holds around $256 billion in cryptocurrencies and traditional currencies—and it alarmed some users this week when it warned that those holdings could be lost if the company files for bankruptcy. The company said "the crypto assets we hold in custody on behalf...
'Buys the Dip!'
May 10, 2022 12:40 PM CDT
Bitcoin Sinks, and One Nation Happily 'Buys the Dip!'
El Salvador, where the cryptocurrency is legal tender, has so far lost a lot of money on its bet
- By Bloomberg's count, the government of El Salvador has shelled out $103 million since last year to buy 2,301 Bitcoins. As of Tuesday morning, those crypto coins were worth about ... $74 million. That is a sub-optimal return on investment. But President Nayib Bukele, who led the successful push...
Biden Cryptocurrency Order
Seen as 'Watershed Moment'
Mar 9, 2022 3:29 PM CST
Biden Cryptocurrency Order Seen as 'Watershed Moment'
It's 'as close to an embrace of crypto as you could have hoped for,' analyst says
- The price of bitcoin surged Wednesday as President Biden signed an executive order on cryptocurrencies that the White House described as the first "whole-of-government approach to addressing the risks and harnessing the potential benefits of digital assets." In a statement , the White House, noting that an estimated 40...
Widow of Cryptocurrency CEO
Saw Her Own Riches Vanish
Feb 26, 2022 2:45 PM CST
Widow of Cryptocurrency CEO Saw Her Own Riches Vanish
Jennifer Robertson details the aftermath of Quadriga CEO Gerald Cotten's death
- Some of her late husband's friends messaged Jennifer Robertson on WhatsApp to ask why she hadn't told them he died, and to get details on where the funeral was. Except they weren't Gerald Cotten's friends. In a piece adapted for the Walrus from her book
Feds Seize Mind-Boggling
Sum After Crypto Hack
Feb 8, 2022 3:09 PM CST
Feds Seize Mind-Boggling Sum After Crypto Hack
It's the largest seizure of funds in DOJ history
- In 2016 around $71 million in bitcoin was stolen when the Bitfinex cryptocurrency exchange was hacked—and its value today is now around $4.5 billion. Federal investigators say they have now recovered $3.6 billion of that current value, the largest seizure of funds in Justice Department history, and...
Melania Trump's Hat 'Collateral
Damage' of Crypto Crash
Jan 26, 2022 7:31 AM CST
Melania Trump's Hat 'Collateral Damage' of Crypto Crash
Former first lady didn't scoop up as many tokens as hoped in auction of hat worn to greet Macron
- The crisp white Herve Pierre hat that Melania Trump wore to greet French President Emmanuel Macron and his wife at the White House in April 2018 went up on the auction block this month—along with a watercolor and NFT showing her wearing it—in the hopes that the entire...
Over Trash Bag
Cost a Fortune
Dec 12, 2021 1:50 PM CST
Their Miscom Over Trash Bag Cost a Fortune
James Howells is still trying to retrieve tossed hard drive with $500M in bitcoin
- James Howells' bitcoin plight has been in the news awhile, but the story grows harder to fathom as the value of the cryptocurrency rises. In 2013, Howells says he accidentally threw out a hard drive with the "key" to his stash of 7,500 bitcoins. By the time DT...
'Tremendous Victory' for Man
Who Says He Invented Bitcoin
Dec 7, 2021 8:32 PM CST
'Tremendous Victory' for Man Who Says He Invented Bitcoin
Business partner's family said Craig Wright owed them half of $50B fortune
- Craig Wright, a computer scientist who claims to be the inventor of Bitcoin, prevailed in a civil trial verdict Monday against the family of a deceased business partner that claimed it was owed half of a cryptocurrency fortune worth tens of billions. A Florida jury found that Wright did not...
2 Politicians Ask to Get
Their Paychecks in Bitcoin
Nov 5, 2021 7:32 AM CDT
2 Politicians Ask to Get Their Paychecks in Bitcoin
At least a payment or three, for Eric Adams and Francis Suarez
The mayor-elect for New York City wants to be paid in Bitcoin. Democrat Eric Adams has requested his first three checks be paid in the world's largest cryptocurrency once he takes over the mayoral post in January, the BBC reports. Adams' request was a move to outdo that...
$1M in Bitcoin
Nov 2, 2021 2:01 AM CDT
Aaron Rodgers Giving Away $1M in Bitcoin
The Green Bay Packers quarterback announces partnership with CashApp
- Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is investing in cryptocurrency in a big way. "I’m pumped to share that I’ve recently teamed with CashApp," he said in a video shared on Twitter on Monday, per Yahoo Sports . "They’ve enabled me to take part of...
ETF Launch Helps Push
Bitcoin to a New High
Oct 20, 2021 11:21 AM CDT
ETF Launch Helps Push Bitcoin to a New High
Cryptocurrency tops $66K
- Bitcoin jumped to a record Wednesday, topping $66,000 for the first time, as it rides a wave of excitement about getting further accepted by the financial establishment. Bitcoin was trading at $66,901.30, up 7.6%, as of 10:52am ET. It's roared back after sinking below...
He Allegedly Hid Devices Under
Floor at Work to Mine Bitcoin
Sep 13, 2021 7:31 AM CDT
He Allegedly Hid Devices Under Floor at Work to Mine Bitcoin
Christopher Naples accused of running up more than $6K in electric bills for Suffolk County
- A county employee in New York state is accused of stealing from the job, but with an oh-so-modern twist. Authorities in Suffolk County say IT supervisor Christopher Naples mined cryptocurrency on the job and ran up at least $6,000 in electric bills in the process, reports the
Happy 'B-Day,' El Salvador
Sep 7, 2021 8:19 AM CDT
Happy 'B-Day,' El Salvador
Starting Tuesday, bitcoin can be used as legal tender nationwide
- Earlier this year, El Salvador became the first country to give bitcoin the green light as legal tender. And Tuesday is "B-day," the day that legislation goes into effect, with Salvadorans now able to use the cryptocurrency in any transaction. Residents in the country—which has had the...
Cops Use Steamroller to
Crush Bitcoin Mining Rigs
Jul 19, 2021 4:28 PM CDT
Cops Use Steamroller to Crush Bitcoin Mining Rigs
Authorities in Malaysia say miners stole $2M in electricity from power lines
- A crushing defeat for Bitcoin miners in Malaysia: Authorities in the city of Miri used a steamroller to flatten 1,069 Bitcoin mining rigs in the police station's parking lot, CNBC reports. The machines, which solve complex equations to unlock blocks of the cryptocurrency, were used in illegal operations...
World Bank Rejects
a Nation's Plea
for Bitcoin Help
Jun 17, 2021 8:09 AM CDT
World Bank Rejects a Nation's Plea for Bitcoin Help
Institution says it won't help El Salvador due to 'environmental and transparency shortcomings'
- The first country in the world to adopt bitcoin as legal tender recently made a big ask of the World Bank, requesting that the international financial institution help it implement its plans—but it's a no from the group to El Salvador. "This is not something the World...
May Have Been
Jun 11, 2021 7:31 AM CDT
Bitcoin Conference May Have Been 'Superspreader' Event
Dozens reportedly test positive after Miami event
- A Bitcoin conference in Miami last week was one of the biggest events in the US since the pandemic began—and it may end up serving as a reminder that the pandemic isn't over. There have been reports of dozens of attendees testing positive, with one attendee warning that...
First Country Makes
Bitcoin Legal Tender
Jun 9, 2021 11:55 AM CDT
First Country Makes Bitcoin Legal Tender
'Nobody can refuse payment,' says El Salvador President Nayib Bukele
- El Salvador’s Legislative Assembly has approved legislation making the cryptocurrency Bitcoin legal tender in the country, the first country to do so, just days after President Nayib Bukele made the proposal at a Bitcoin conference. The digital currency can be used in any transaction and any business will have...
Cops Expecting Pot Farm
Uncover Illegal Bitcoin Mine
May 31, 2021 12:47 PM CDT
Cops Expecting Pot Farm Uncover Illegal Bitcoin Mine
Operation in UK was stealing electricity from the grid to power 100 computers
- Police in Britain say a building they were watching had people coming and going at all hours, numerous wiring and ventilation ducts visible, and was emitting a lot of heat—all "classic cannabis factory signs." But when West Midlands police raided the factory in an industrial area last...
Bitcoin Plunges After
China Announces Crackdown
May 19, 2021 2:32 PM CDT
Bitcoin Plunges After China Announces Crackdown
Beijing bans financial services from taking part in cryptocurrency transactions
- A bad month for cryptocurrency investors got worse this week following a big move from China. Regulators in Beijing banned financial services companies Tuesday from taking part in cryptocurrency transactions or providing crypto services to clients, the BBC reports. "Prices of cryptocurrency have skyrocketed and plummeted recently, and speculative...
FTC: Beware Fake Elon Musks
May 18, 2021 8:43 PM CDT
FTC: Beware Fake Elon Musks
Bitcoin scammers have stolen millions by impersonating Tesla CEO
- Cryptocurrency scams involving fake Elon Musks have cost people a lot of real money. The Federal Trade Commission says crypto scams have surged along with the value of the digital currencies. The FTC says that between October and March, it received more than 7,000 complaints about scams involving Bitcoin...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman Accuses Pastor in Front of His Church
19 Elementary School Students, 2 Adults Dead in Texas Shooting
We Haven't Seen This on the Birth Front for 7 Years
Woody Harrelson Movie Gets 8-Minute Ovation at Cannes
FBI Reportedly Foils ISIS Plot to Kill Bush in Texas
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.