Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
After Telling School of Accused
Priest on Payroll, a Giant Fine
Oct 12, 2022 12:27 PM CDT
After Telling School of Accused Priest on Payroll, a Giant Fine
New Orleans attorney Richard Trahant says he'll appeal the $400K payment to archdiocese
- A lawyer who alerted a Catholic high school to past sexual misconduct by its chaplain has been fined $400,000 for violating confidentiality rules by speaking out. Attorney Richard Trahant says he'll appeal the decision handed down Tuesday, which gives him 30 days to pay the Archdiocese of New...
2 Priests Gunned Down in
Mexico Church, Bodies Taken
Jun 22, 2022 2:30 AM CDT
2 Priests Gunned Down in Mexico Church, Bodies Taken
Jesuit priests were protecting man who sought refuge in church
- Two Jesuit priests were fatally gunned down in a Mexico church Monday, the Jesuits of Mexico announced Tuesday. Fathers Javier Campos Morales, 79, and Joaquín César Mora Salazar, 80, who had almost a century of service between them, were trying to protect a man who was being chased...
Missionary Revered in Catholic
Nation Is Headed to Prison
Dec 21, 2021 10:50 AM CST
Missionary Revered in Catholic Nation Is Headed to Prison
American ex-priest Richard Daschbach, 84, found guilty in East Timor of sexually abusing young girls
- A defrocked American priest accused of sexually abusing orphaned and disadvantaged young girls under his care in East Timor was found guilty Tuesday and sentenced to 12 years in prison, in the first case of its kind in the staunchly Catholic nation. Richard Daschbach, 84, who spent decades as a...
Priest Who Held Voter-Fraud
Exorcisms Leaves Diocese
Jan 27, 2021 8:37 AM CST
Priest Who Held Voter-Fraud Exorcisms Leaves Diocese
Rev. John Zuhlsdorf, who didn't have OK from bishop, says he's going to work on his 'mo jo'
- Earlier this month, the Diocese of Madison announced a "mutual" agreement between itself and one of its "freelancer" priests regarding his departure. Now, more on what prompted that. Per the
Wisconsin State Journal
, the Rev. John Zuhlsdorf, a member of Wisconsin's clergy who also runs his own...
You've Never Seen a Priest
Bless Quite Like This
May 18, 2020 5:20 AM CDT
You've Never Seen a Priest Bless Quite Like This
Father Timothy Pelc of Michigan uses a squirt gun
- It happened over Easter weekend, but thanks to a Twitter user who just now discovered the photos, a Michigan priest is going viral. Father Timothy Pelc was shown in pictures posted by St. Ambrose Parish last month blessing parishioners' Easter food baskets ... by squirting holy water out of a water...
France's Worst Case of
Clergy Abuse Is Over
Mar 17, 2020 1:08 AM CDT
France's Worst Case of Clergy Abuse Is Over
Ex-priest who abused at least 75 boys is sentenced to 5 years
- A French ex-priest who acknowledged sexually abusing at least 75 boys over decades was sentenced Monday to five years in prison, in France’s worst case of clergy abuse to reach trial. The court in Lyon issued the verdict against 74-year-old Bernard Preynat behind closed doors because the coronavirus outbreak...
Francis Makes Surprise
Decision on Married Priests
Feb 12, 2020 7:37 AM CST
Francis Makes Surprise Decision on Married Priests
Pope has rejected ordaining married men in remote areas of South America
- Late last year, Pope Francis gave hints that he might be open to the ordination of married men, letting them become priests in far-flung parts of the world like the Amazon region, after bishops representing indigenous areas made this push . Now, however, that idea has been officially quashed: The pontiff...
Hoping for a Pope Fight?
One Just Took a Step Back
Jan 14, 2020 9:15 AM CST
Hoping for a Pope Fight? One Just Took a Step Back
Benedict has name removed as co-author from controversial pro-priesthood celibacy book
- If you were hoping that there'd be a bona fide public bickering between Pope Francis and his predecessor, you may have to tamp down your expectations. The current pope has reportedly been mulling whether to allow married men to become priests in some cases, and news broke this week...
In the Amazon, Married
Catholic Priests? Perhaps
Jun 17, 2019 10:05 AM CDT
In the Amazon, Married Catholic Priests? Perhaps
Vatican proposal would permit the ordination of married men there
- It's just a proposal, but the Vatican on Monday opened debate on what would be a very narrow path to the priesthood for married men, specifically those living in remote parts of the Amazon. The AP reports the call for study on the proposal was included in a working...
He Was Once a Slave.
Now He May Become a Saint
Jun 13, 2019 7:05 AM CDT
He Was Once a Slave. Now He May Become a Saint
Pope deems Augustus Tolton, America's first black Roman Catholic priest, 'venerable'
- Pope Francis on Wednesday deemed the first known black Roman Catholic priest in the US to be "venerable," positioning the ex-slave for possible sainthood. The pontiff's designation of the Rev. Augustus Tolton as venerable, meaning the church intensely scrutinized his life and recognizes it as one of...
Accused Pedophile Priest
Now a Homicide Victim
Mar 13, 2019 7:15 AM CDT
Accused Pedophile Priest Now a Homicide Victim
Dozens in New Jersey alleged John Capparelli had sexually abused them when they were boys
- John Capparelli traveled across the US three years ago, hoping to leave the sexual abuse allegations about him behind on the East Coast, and many in the defrocked priest's Henderson, Nev., neighborhood may have had no clue about his past. That history came to light this week after Capparelli,...
Pope at Sex
'Listen to Cry
of Little Ones'
Feb 21, 2019 6:31 AM CST
Pope at Sex Abuse Summit: 'Listen to Cry of Little Ones'
Skeptics hope his vow for 'concrete and efficient measures' isn't an empty one
- "Simple and predictable condemnations" aren't what's needed to fight sex abuse within the Catholic Church; "concrete and efficient measures" are. That's according to Pope Francis, who kicked off on Thursday a four-day global summit on the matter in Rome in front of nearly 200 bishops,...
on 'Children of
Feb 19, 2019 8:07 AM CST
Vatican's 'Next Scandal': Rules on 'Children of the Ordained'
Spokesman confirms secret rules on how to deal with children fathered by priests
- "It's the next scandal" for the Vatican, according to one man right in the middle of it. Just days after Pope Francis admitted there was a problem within the Catholic Church involving nuns impregnated by male clergy, sometimes leading to forced abortions, Vincent Doyle talks to the
on Nuns: 'Sexual
Slavery,' Forced Abortions
Feb 6, 2019 6:03 AM CST
Pope's Shocker on Nuns: 'Sexual Slavery,' Forced Abortions
'Do we have to do more? Yes. Are we willing? Yes.'
- A shocking first emerged from the pope on Tuesday: admission of more sexual abuse within the Catholic Church, this time of nuns at the hands of male clergy. The
New York Times
notes it's the first time the pontiff has publicly recognized the church's very own #MeToo issue,...
Cardinal on Sex
Jan 16, 2019 7:57 AM CST
Cardinal on Sex Abuse Allegations: They Slipped My Mind
One alleged victim isn't buying that story from DC's Donald Wuerl
- Cardinal Donald Wuerl says there's a reason why he hasn't been completely forthcoming about abuse allegations against Theodore McCarrick, the man who held the post before him: He forgot he knew about them, or at least some of them, per the
. That's the story the...
Illinois AG: Names of 500
Accused Priests Kept Hidden
Dec 20, 2018 9:40 AM CST
Illinois AG: Names of 500 Accused Priests Kept Hidden
Claims involving only one victim often found not credible: report
- The Catholic Church in Illinois withheld the names of at least 500 priests accused of sexually abusing children, while nearly 75% of allegations were either not investigated or investigated but not substantiated, according to a scathing report from the state's attorney general. Claims involving just one victim were often...
Parents Want Priest Fired
Over Suicide Sermon
Dec 15, 2018 11:30 AM CST
Parents Want Priest Fired Over Suicide Sermon
The Hullibargers couldn't believe what they heard
- Maison Hullibarger's suicide was painful enough—then his parents heard the priest's homily. "We wanted him to celebrate how Maison lived, not how he died," his mother Linda tells the
Detroit Free Press
. Hullibarger, who had five siblings and studied criminal justice at the University of...
A Priest Had
Aug 23, 2018 9:40 AM CDT
A Priest Had Just Finished Praying. Then, an Ambush
Attack on Indiana priest Basil John Hutsko being investigated as hate crime
- A "hardworking" Indiana priest said by a colleague to rise before dawn every day to help his community may have been the object of a hate crime, and the FBI is now investigating. Merrillville Police rep Jeff Rice tells the
that 64-year-old Basil John Hutsko is "...
Amid Pa. Wave of
a New Cleric
Aug 22, 2018 8:33 AM CDT
Amid Pa. Wave of Predator Priests, a New Cleric Is Charged
Allentown priest Kevin Lonergan allegedly sent nude pics to teen on Snapchat, groped her
- More than 300 "predator priests" were recently identified by a grand jury report in Pennsylvania. Now, an unrelated case is bringing an Allentown priest into the headlines. Charges of indecent assault and corruption of a minor have been filed against 30-year-old Kevin Lonergan, who served in Allentown's Cathedral...
Ex-Priest Guilty of Murdering
Beauty Queen in 1960
Dec 8, 2017 2:00 AM CST
Ex-Priest Guilty of Murdering Beauty Queen in 1960
John Feit confessed to 2 fellow priests
- An ex-priest was convicted of murdering a 25-year-old Texas schoolteacher and beauty queen on Thursday, more than 57 years after Irene Garza went to Sacred Heart Catholic Church in McAllen intending to go to confession. Garza's body was found days after her April 16, 1960, disappearance. An autopsy revealed...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
China Responds to Balloon Hit, but Its Options Are Limited
Missing Missouri Children Found in Florida Supermarket
Hashtag 'Died Suddenly' Is Up 740% in 2 Months
Watch Fighter Jet Take Down China's Balloon
Women Are Suffering Unnecessarily From Menopause
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.