Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read recent news stories and reports about ISIS on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
FBI Reportedly Foils ISIS
Plot to Kill Bush in Texas
May 24, 2022 1:38 PM CDT
FBI Reportedly Foils ISIS Plot to Kill Bush in Texas
Operative reportedly filmed the former president's Dallas residence
and NBC News are out with stories asserting that the FBI foiled a recent ISIS plot to assassinate former President George W. Bush. The accounts are based on FBI search warrants and court documents unsealed in federal court in Ohio that include informants' details about the alleged scheme....
The Verdict Is In for
This ISIS 'Beatle'
Apr 29, 2022 2:01 PM CDT
The Verdict Is In for This ISIS 'Beatle'
El Shafee Elsheikh convicted for role in hostage-taking plot that left four Americans dead
- A jury convicted a British national Thursday for his role in an Islamic State group hostage-taking scheme that took roughly two dozen Westerners captive a decade ago, resulting in the deaths of four Americans, three of whom were beheaded. In convicting El Shafee Elsheikh, the jury concluded he was one...
Lawmaker's Death Was an
'Assassination.' Now, a Verdict
Apr 12, 2022 12:55 PM CDT
Lawmaker's Death Was an 'Assassination.' Now, a Verdict
ISIS supporter Ali Harbi Ali, 26, found guilty of stabbing UK lawmaker David Amess to death
- A jury deliberated for just 18 minutes Monday before finding a fervent Islamic State supporter guilty of stabbing lawmaker David Amess to death, a slaying that shocked the nation and sparked calls for increased police protection for politicians. Ali Harbi Ali, 26, was found guilty by London's Central Criminal...
ISIS Captive's Letter to Dad
Leaves Courtroom in 'Tears'
Apr 7, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
ISIS Captive's Letter to Dad Leaves Courtroom in 'Tears'
Peter Kassig, killed in 2014, wrote that his last thought would be of the love of his parents
- If Peter Kassig was true to his word, the only thought running through his mind as he was beheaded by Islamic State terrorists was how much his parents loved him. Ed Kassig, the father of the US aid worker who was taken hostage in Syria in 2013 and killed a...
Israel Faces a
'New Wave of Terror'
Mar 30, 2022 7:18 AM CDT
Israel Faces a 'New Wave of Terror'
Gunman kills 5, including a police officer, in 3rd attack in a week
- "We are dealing with a new wave of terror," Israeli Prime Minister Naftali Bennett said Tuesday after a gunman on a motorcycle killed five people with an assault rifle in a suburb of Tel Aviv. Police said they shot and killed the shooter—identified as Diaa Hamarsheh, a...
Kansas Mom of 5
Jihadist Denied Bail
Feb 4, 2022 1:29 AM CST
Kansas Mom of 5 Turned Alleged Jihadist Denied Bail
Allison Fluke-Ekren is charged with aiding a terrorist organization
The so-called "all-American girl" turned alleged jihadist was denied bail during a court appearance in Virginia Thursday, the BBC reports. The judge said factors including the safety of the local community are considered during bond hearings, and Allison Fluke-Ekren did not contest the order to remain in custody...
ISIS Leader Died Same Way
as His Predecessor
Feb 3, 2022 2:35 PM CST
ISIS Leader Died Same Way as His Predecessor
US says Abu Ibrahim al-Qurayshi deliberately blew himself up amid raid
- An overnight raid in Syria by US special-operations forces resulted in the death of the Islamic State's leader, but it wasn't American forces who killed Abu Ibrahim al-Hashimi al-Qurayshi. The US says the ISIS commander detonated a bomb as the raid unfolded at his compound, deliberately blowing himself...
ISIS Stormed a Prison. There
Are Hundreds of Boys Inside
Jan 26, 2022 11:00 AM CST
ISIS Stormed a Prison. There Are Hundreds of Boys Inside
Siege on Gweiran Prison shines a light on the children's plight
- A distressing series of voice notes sent by an Australian teen from a prison in northeast Syria underscores the plight of thousands of forgotten children who remain trapped in detention facilities in Syria and Iraq. Hundreds of minors (Human Rights Watch estimates 600 boys) are believed to be holed up...
She Left the US to Join
ISIS. Now, a SCOTUS Decision
Jan 13, 2022 7:50 AM CST
She Left the US to Join ISIS. Now, a SCOTUS Decision
Supreme Court won't hear appeal of Hoda Muthana, who went to Syria in 2014, wants to come back
She was born in New Jersey and raised in Alabama, but it looks like Hoda Muthana won't be going back to either anytime soon. On Monday, the US Supreme Court refused, without comment, to hear an appeal from the 27-year-old—who'd left Alabama to join the Islamic...
Admits He Made It All Up
Oct 10, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
'ISIS Executioner' Admits He Made It All Up
Shehroze Chaudhry featured in key episodes of the hit 'NYT ' podcast series 'Caliphate'
The Canadian man who pulled the wool over the eyes of the
New York Times
, among others, by weaving tales of time spent as an ISIS executioner, admitted to his lies in a Canadian court on Friday. In doing so, Shehroze Chaudhry, now 26, saw the charges against him—...
Taliban Tells US
There'll Be No Help With IS
Oct 9, 2021 2:20 PM CDT
Taliban Tells US There'll Be No Help With IS
That's how this weekend's negotiations begin
- The Taliban on Saturday ruled out cooperation with the US to contain extremist groups in Afghanistan, staking out an uncompromising position on a key issue ahead of the first direct talks between the former foes since America withdrew from the country in August. Senior Taliban officials and US representatives are...
US Survivor of Paris Attacks
Delivers Wrenching Testimony
Oct 7, 2021 5:55 PM CDT
US Survivor of Paris Attacks Delivers Wrenching Testimony
Helen Wilson says boyfriend died in her arms
- Clarisse Faure told a Paris court Wednesday that she was there "for those who cannot do it today, for those who never left the Bataclan." She was among many survivors who delivered emotional testimony at the trial of 20 suspects accused of involvement in the 2015 terror attacks...
Since US Left
Oct 3, 2021 11:55 AM CDT
Kabul Has Deadliest Attack Since US Left
Mosque bombed during Taliban service, reportedly killing at least 5 civilians
- At least five civilians were killed in a bomb blast at the entrance to a Kabul mosque Sunday, a Taliban official said, describing the deadliest attack in the Afghan capital since US forces left at the end of August. There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but suspicion fell on...
France Says It Killed
Regional ISIS Leader
Sep 16, 2021 4:19 AM CDT
France Says It Killed Regional ISIS Leader
Adnan Abu Walid al-Sahrawi was killed weeks ago, French defense officials say
- France killed the leader of Islamic State in the Greater Sahara because the group attacked French aid workers, African civilians, and US troops, French officials said Thursday, calling him "enemy No. 1" in protracted anti-terrorism efforts in the Sahel. French President Emmanuel Macron announced the death of Adnan Abu...
After Paris Terror Suspect's
Outburst, 'You Bastard' Is Heard
Sep 8, 2021 3:14 PM CDT
After Paris Terror Suspect's Outburst, 'You Bastard' Is Heard
'We suffered 130 deaths, you bastard,' somebody said from back of courtroom
- The trial of 20 men accused of involvement in the 2015 Paris terror attacks got underway Wednesday —and it was soon disrupted by an outburst from the main suspect, Saleh Abdeslam. The
reports that Abdeslam, believed to be the only survivor of the group that carried out the...
US Drone Hits Vehicle Taking
Suicide Bombers to Airport
Aug 29, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
US Drone Hits Vehicle Taking Suicide Bombers to Airport
Secondary blasts indicate a load of explosives, officials say
- A US drone strike on a vehicle killed suicide bombers on their way to the Kabul airport on Sunday, Pentagon officials said. US officials said the attack eliminated "an imminent ISIS-K threat," the
New York Times
reports. According to initial reports, no civilians were injured, a spokesman said,...
US Bombs Afghanistan
After Biden Vows to Retaliate
Aug 28, 2021 6:00 AM CDT
US Bombs Afghanistan After Biden Vows to Retaliate
Unmanned airstrike hit ISIS target.
- The US military struck back at the Islamic State on Saturday, bombing an IS member in Afghanistan less than 48 hours after a devastating suicide bombing claimed by the group killed as many as 169 Afghans and 13 American service members at the Kabul airport. Per the AP , US...
Group 'More Extreme' Than
the Taliban Struck in Kabul
Aug 27, 2021 8:42 AM CDT
Group 'More Extreme' Than the Taliban Struck in Kabul
Here's what we know about ISIS-K
- The group claiming responsibility for Thursday's bombings near Kabul's airport, which killed 13 US service members and at least 95 Afghans, is the Islamic State Khorasan, or ISIS-K. This is the affiliate of the Islamic State in Afghanistan and Pakistan. What we know:
How it formed:
'Imminent Attack' Feared
at Kabul Airport
Aug 26, 2021 6:45 AM CDT
'Imminent Attack' Feared at Kabul Airport
Massive airlift is entering final phase
- European nations offered stark warnings Thursday about the waning days of a massive airlift to bring people out of Taliban-controlled Afghanistan, with a British official saying an "imminent attack" could target Kabul's international airport. As President Biden says he'll stick with his deadline of Aug. 31 to...
Biden: We're Sticking to
Aug. 31 Afghanistan Deadline
Aug 24, 2021 6:16 PM CDT
Biden: We're Sticking to Aug. 31 Afghanistan Deadline
He warns of terror attacks if evacuation mission extends past withdrawal date
- President Biden declared Tuesday he is sticking to his Aug. 31 deadline for completing a risky airlift of Americans, endangered Afghans and others seeking to escape Taliban-controlled Afghanistan. The decision defies allied leaders who want to give the evacuation more time and opens Biden to criticism that he caved to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
92 Tons of Popular Topping Recalled
Sentencing in Flight Attendant Assault a 'Very Strong Message'
The Clues Were Ingenious, but Staging the Hunt Would Kill Him
Trump Piles On Abbott, Other No-Shows at NRA Meeting
Once the Vatican's No. 2 Man, His Legacy Was Marred
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.