Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
to Focus on
Nov 1, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
NFL Player Is Sidelined to Focus on Mental Health
Calvin Ridley of the Atlanta Falcons is stepping away from the game
- Atlanta Falcons receiver Calvin Ridley says he's stepping away from football, at least temporarily, to focus on his mental health. Ridley was a last-minute scratch from Sunday's game against Carolina, the second game he's missed this season for what the team would only describe as a personal...
Simone Biles Embarks
on 'Career Pivot'
Oct 21, 2021 2:36 PM CDT
Simone Biles Embarks on 'Career Pivot'
Gymnast partners with mental health company
- "I'm still scared to do gymnastics." Simone Biles says the anxiety that forced her to withdraw from competition at the Olympics has not retreated. On the
show Thursday, the gymnast said she's OK doing floor exercises, but she still can't manage to do anything...
I Should Have
Sep 28, 2021 2:00 AM CDT
Simone Biles: I Should Have Quit Before Olympics
Gymnast talks to 'The Cut'
- In an extensive profile at The Cut , Simone Biles says she should not have competed in the Tokyo Olympics—but that she refused to let abusive team doctor Larry Nassar have that impact on her. "If you looked at everything I’ve gone through for the past seven years,...
FBI Agent Tried to Tell Me
Nassar Abuse 'Wasn't That Bad'
Sep 15, 2021 11:42 AM CDT
FBI Agent Tried to Tell Me Nassar Abuse 'Wasn't That Bad'
Larry Nassar victims speak to Senate Judiciary Committee about botched investigation
- Simone Biles says those involved in the botched FBI investigation of her abuser, former USA Gymnastics doctor Larry Nassar, need to be "federally prosecuted to the fullest extent." Her Wednesday statement in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee came a day after the
reported that the...
After Days in the Stands, Biles
Makes the 'Impossible Possible'
Aug 3, 2021 6:21 AM CDT
After Days in the Stands, Biles Makes the 'Impossible Possible'
Gymnast wins a bronze medal, after she'd earlier pulled out of team competition, 4 individual events
- It's been a difficult week for Simone Biles, who pulled out of multiple events at the Summer Olympics to deal with mental health issues after a bout with the "twisties." But the determined gymnast made it back onto the competition floor Tuesday in Tokyo, walking away with...
Looks Like Biles Will Make One
More Olympics Showing
Aug 2, 2021 6:02 AM CDT
Looks Like Biles Will Make One More Olympics Showing
Gymnast set to appear in balance beam finals on Tuesday, though she could still withdraw
- A week after we last saw her compete, Simone Biles will return to the Olympic stage. After pulling out of team competition finals and four individual events— all-around , floor, uneven bars, and vault —to take care of her mental health, saying she was struggling with the "twisties,"...
Aug 1, 2021 7:31 AM CDT
Simone Biles' Important Message: 'Text MyKayla'
American MyKayla Skinner didn't fly home from Tokyo as a result, and she just won a silver
- Simone Biles has opted to skip another event, the floor exercise, because of her continuing mental block . The American gymnast now has only one more event in which she might compete, the balance beam, and USA Gymnastics has not said whether she will take part in that competition on Tuesday....
Out of 2 More
Finals in Tokyo
Jul 31, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Biles Pulls Out of 2 More Finals in Tokyo
No vault or uneven bars for gymnast as she focuses on her mental health
- Simone Biles is opting not to defend her Olympic vault title, pulling out of Sunday's event finals for both vault and uneven bars while she focuses on her mental health. The 24-year-old six-time Olympic medalist removed herself from competition during the team finals on Tuesday and sat out Thursday'...
Simone Biles: 'Twisties' Have
Never Hit Me Like This Before
Jul 30, 2021 9:07 AM CDT
Simone Biles: 'Twisties' Have Never Hit Me Like This Before
She says it's the worst case she's ever had
- Simone Biles says she's still dealing with a very bad case of the "twisties"—a disconnect between body and brain known as a "gymnast's worst nightmare" —and it's not clear whether she will compete again in Tokyo. In a series of now-deleted Instagram...
How Simone Biles Feels Now
Jul 29, 2021 11:58 AM CDT
How Simone Biles Feels Now
Star gymnast says outpouring of support shows she's 'more than my accomplishments'
- Simone Biles acknowledged an "outpouring" of love and support Wednesday following her unexpected exit from events at the Tokyo Olympics. Meanwhile, Texas Deputy Attorney General Aaron Reitz is backtracking on his harsh criticism of the 24-year-old gymnast.
In a since-deleted tweet, Reitz shared video of Kerri Strug performing at
Jul 28, 2021 10:40 AM CDT
Biles Experienced a Gymnast's 'Worst Nightmare’
Gymnasts speak out on the dangers of the 'twisties'
- In describing the shaky landing of her Tuesday vault routine at the Tokyo Olympics—after which Simone Biles withdrew from the team and all-around individual competitions —the world's most decorated gymnast said she'd had "a little bit of the twisties." Considering she was attempting to...
Jul 28, 2021 6:33 AM CDT
Simone Biles Drops Out of All-Around
No decision yet on individual events
- The day after Simone Biles removed herself from the Team USA gymnastics final , USA Gymnastics announced she is also exiting Thursday's all-around competition at the Tokyo Olympics. Jade Carey will take the 24-year-old's place, the AP reports. "After further medical evaluation, Simone Biles has withdrawn from the...
US Olympic CEO: 'Simone,
You've Made Us So Proud'
Jul 27, 2021 8:02 PM CDT
US Olympic CEO: 'Simone, You've Made Us So Proud'
Gymnast widely praised for putting her wellbeing first
- After her stunning withdrawal from the women's team gymnastics final in Tokyo Tuesday, Simone Biles is being widely praised for making a tough decision under immense pressure. Biles, the most decorated gymnast in the world, said she was mentally unprepared to continue after a shaky performance on the vault....
Jul 27, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
Simone Biles: It Wasn't a Physical Injury
'I have to focus on my mental health,' says gymnast after exit from team competition
- Simone Biles is shedding some light on the Olympic stunner that saw her exit from team competition on Tuesday. While USA Gymnastics cited a "medical issue," Biles herself clarified that it wasn't a physical injury, reports the
. "I just felt like it would be...
US Falls to Russia After
Simone Biles Pulls Out of Finals
Jul 27, 2021 8:22 AM CDT
US Falls to Russia After Simone Biles Pulls Out of Finals
She left competition 'due to a medical issue'
- The US Women's gymnastics team settled for silver on Tuesday after having to compete without golden girl Simone Biles, who USA Gymnastics confirmed had to exit the competition "due to a medical issue." It continued, "She will be assessed daily to determine medical clearance for future...
Simone Biles' Brother Acquitted,
Victim's Mom Lunges for Him
Jun 15, 2021 4:14 PM CDT
Simone Biles' Brother Acquitted, Victim's Mom Lunges for Him
'You killed my baby,' she screamed at Tevin Biles-Thomas
- "You killed my baby," a woman screamed as she ran toward Tevin Biles-Thomas in a makeshift courtroom in a Cleveland convention center complex Tuesday, moments after the 26-year-old was acquitted of a triple murder on New Year's Eve 2018. "You have to be f------ kidding me,...
Lands a First
in Her Return
May 23, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
Simone Biles Lands a First in Her Return
Gymnast performs Yurchenko double pike in winning US Classic
- Simone Biles hadn't performed competitively since 2019, so no one knew how she'd do Saturday at the US Classic. She did well. Biles posted the highest scores on the vault, beam and floor, the
reports, in winning the all-around title. But Biles broke ground along the...
a Bad Chapter,
Biles Is Ready
Feb 15, 2021 4:31 PM CST
After Closing a Bad Chapter, Biles Is Ready to Compete
After the abuses under USA Gymnastics, athlete says this time, 'It's for me'
- Simone Biles has committed to performing in the summer Olympics this year. She's up at 6am for six hours of training, six days a week, for the Games scheduled for July in Tokyo . And she's committed to being even better, though she already has more Olympic and World...
Facebook Has Something
for the Class of 2020
May 1, 2020 8:43 AM CDT
Facebook Has Something for the Class of 2020
A commencement address from Oprah Winfrey on May 15
- This year, a commencement speaker will address all high school and college graduates across the country, and that speaker is Oprah Winfrey. Facebook has recruited the 66-year-old talk show host to give a virtual commencement address to be streamed on the social network at 2pm EST on May 15, reports...
Mar 15, 2020 7:36 AM CDT
Simone Biles Has Words for USAG's Birthday Wishes
'how about you amaze me and do the right thing... have an independent investigation'
- Simone Biles turned 23 on Saturday, and CNN reports that USA Gymnastics took the occasion to tweet a "HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the most decorated gymnast of all time, @simonebiles! We know you will only continue to amaze us and make history!" Aforementioned most decorated gymnast wasn't having...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After Backlash, Rittenhouse's Student Status Changes
3 Dead, 6 Injured in Michigan School Shooting
Clarence Thomas' Long Fight Reaches Its 'Zenith'
CNN Suspends Chris Cuomo Indefinitely
New Target of Greene's Wrath: a Fellow Republican
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.