Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Starting to Dread
Jun 4, 2023 9:10 AM CDT
Autism Advocates Starting to Dread 2024 Election
Steve Bannon's line that DeSantis is 'on the spectrum' raises concerns about stigma
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is frequently described as "awkward" when it comes to schmoozing with voters—see this
New York Times
story describing him in Iowa—so much so that it seems to have become an accepted truth on the 2024 campaign trail. In fact, wife Casey DeSantis is...
'We Build The Wall' Founder
Sentenced to 4 Years
Apr 26, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
'We Build The Wall' Founder Sentenced to 4 Years
Brian Kolfage tells judge he is 'remorseful, disgusted, humiliated'
- The co-founder of a fundraising group linked to Steve Bannon that promised to help Donald Trump construct a wall along the southern US border was sentenced to four years and three months in prison on Wednesday for stealing hundreds of thousands of dollars from donors. Brian Kolfage, a decorated Air...
in $1B Fraud
Mar 15, 2023 2:14 PM CDT
Feds Charge Bannon Ally in $1B Fraud
Guo Wengui accused of defrauding investors, laundering funds
- A billionaire who fled China before he could be arrested on charges including fraud in 2014 has been charged with fraud in the US. Guo Wengui, a close ally of former Trump adviser Steve Bannon, was arrested on federal charges early Wednesday at his $32 million Manhattan apartment, ABC reports....
Hunter Biden's Legal Team
Is Now Playing Hardball
Feb 2, 2023 7:50 AM CST
Hunter Biden's Legal Team Is Now Playing Hardball
Lawyers' aggressive new attempt to turn the tables involves urging probes of Giuliani, Bannon
- House Republicans have started their long-sought investigation into Hunter Biden—but the legal team of the president's son has decided it's not going to settle for playing defense. CBS News reports that Biden's lawyers tag-teamed this week in an aggressive new strategy, going hard against longtime detractors...
Amid Brazil Riot, Bannon
Cheers 'Freedom Fighters'
Jan 9, 2023 6:32 AM CST
Amid Brazil Riot, Bannon Cheers 'Freedom Fighters'
Hundreds arrested after supporters of losing President Bolsonaro storm the capital
- Authorities in Brazil have reclaimed control of the nation's seat of power after supporters of former President Jair Bolsonaro rioted in the capital Brasilia on Sunday. Estimates of the number of arrested range between 200 and 400 in news coverage:
Thousands stormed the nation's Congress, its
Bolsonaro Backers Storm
Jan 8, 2023 2:20 PM CST
Bolsonaro Backers Storm Government Buildings
Mob wanting Lula's removal also breaks into Supreme Court, presidential palace
- Supporters of defeated former President Jair Bolsonaro stormed Brazil's Congress on Sunday, demanding that the military restore the far-right politician to power. Hundreds of people breached security barriers and broke into the building, Deutsche Welle reports, as police tried to keep them out with tear gas. Brazilian media displayed...
Dec 16, 2022 1:27 PM CST
Bannon, Other Trump Allies Vent Over Trading Cards
They say whoever advised the former president to do this should be fired
- Jimmy Kimmel and other late-night hosts took great delight in mocking Donald Trump's "major announcement" to start selling NFT trading cards of himself. And if you're expecting Trump's usual allies to rally to his defense, think again. Many of them also think the NFT stunt was...
His Next Move in
Nov 5, 2022 6:30 AM CDT
Bannon Makes His Next Move in Contempt Case
Trump ally officially files appeal over conviction, 4-month prison sentence
- Steve Bannon is officially pushing back on his most recent conviction and its accompanying four-month prison sentence. Reuters reports the 68-year-old Trump ally filed an appeal notice Friday in federal court, two weeks after he was sentenced in his contempt of Congress case, in which he refused to testify or...
for 6 Months
Oct 17, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
Feds: Lock Up Bannon for 6 Months
Prosecutors issue sentencing recommendation for contempt of Congress
- Steve Bannon defiantly blew off a subpoena from the Jan. 6 House committee. Now federal prosecutors say he should go to prison for six months as a penalty. The Justice Department on Monday issued its sentencing recommendation for the Donald Trump ally, who was found guilty of contempt of Congress...
As Bannon Surrenders,
Sep 8, 2022 10:40 AM CDT
As Bannon Surrenders, Charges Revealed
Former White House strategist charged with money laundering, conspiracy in New York
- Steve Bannon has turned himself in to authorities in New York, who accuse him of stealing more than $1 million from donations meant to fund a border wall on the US-Mexico border. The allegations mirror federal charges Bannon faced before he was pardoned by President Trump. Two other men charged...
Steve Bannon Plans to Turn
Himself in Thursday: Source
Sep 7, 2022 12:27 AM CDT
Steve Bannon Plans to Turn Himself in Thursday: Source
Trump ally says he expects to be charged soon in New York
- Steve Bannon, a longtime ally of former President Trump, said Tuesday that he expects to be charged soon in a state criminal case in New York City, the AP reports. Bannon, 68, plans to turn himself in on Thursday, according to a person familiar with the matter. The person insisted...
Bannon Warns Jan. 6 Panel
Jul 23, 2022 1:25 PM CDT
Bannon Warns Jan. 6 Panel
Convicted Trump ally says Republicans will investigate the Democratic investigators
- After being found guilty of contempt of Congress on Friday, Steve Bannon went on Fox News to put Democratic lawmakers on notice of future retaliation. "We have to have a real Jan. 6 committee," Bannon told host Tucker Carlson, speaking of a Republican return to control of Congress....
Steve Bannon Guilty
of Contempt of Congress
Jul 22, 2022 2:27 PM CDT
Steve Bannon Guilty of Contempt of Congress
He defied a subpoena from the Jan. 6 House committee
- A federal jury convicted longtime Donald Trump ally Steve Bannon of contempt of Congress on Friday, reports the AP . The jury deliberated for just under three hours in finding Bannon guilty of defying a subpoena last fall from the Jan. 6 House panel. He was found guilty of two counts—...
In Bannon Trial, It's Already
Time for Closing Arguments
Jul 21, 2022 4:04 PM CDT
In Bannon Trial, It's Already Time for Closing Arguments
Lawyers call for acquittal, arguing prosecution didn't prove contempt charge
- Lawyers for Trump ally Steve Bannon did not call any witnesses and declined to have him testify in his contempt of Congress trial on Thursday. Instead, they argued the judge should just acquit him, saying prosecutors didn't prove their case. The decision to forego calling any witnesses in Bannon'...
It's a Big Day
for Steve Bannon
Jul 18, 2022 7:52 AM CDT
It's a Big Day for Steve Bannon
Jury selection is scheduled to begin in his rare contempt of Congress case
- Steve Bannon's big day in court is still on track to begin Monday, though the possibility of a last-minute plea remains very much on the table. Coverage:
Bannon faces rare contempt of Congress charges for failing to appear before the Jan. 6 House panel last fall despite being
Despite 180 on Testifying,
Bannon Trial Still Starts Monday
Jul 12, 2022 5:14 AM CDT
Despite 180 on Testifying, Bannon Trial Still Starts Monday
Judge refuses to delay it
- A federal judge on Monday declined to delay the upcoming trial of Steve Bannon, a one-time adviser to former President Trump who faces contempt of Congress charges after refusing for months to cooperate with the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection. Bannon is still scheduled to go on...
Bannon Says He'll Testify
Jul 10, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
Bannon Says He'll Testify
Jan. 6 committee has 'many questions,' member says
- Steve Bannon, a former White House strategist and ally of Donald Trump who faces criminal charges after months of defying a congressional subpoena over the Capitol riot, has told the House committee investigating the attack that he is now willing to testify. Bannon's turnabout was conveyed in a letter...
Ex-Trump Aide Navarro
Indicted by Jan. 6 Panel
Jun 3, 2022 11:21 AM CDT
Ex-Trump Aide Navarro Indicted by Jan. 6 Panel
Former trade adviser did not show up for a deposition
- Former White House official Peter Navarro was indicted Friday on contempt charges after defying a subpoena from the House panel investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, per the AP . Navarro is the second former Trump aide to be charged with contempt of Congress for refusing to cooperate with...
Bannon's Co-Founder Pleads
Guilty in 'Build the Wall' Scam
Apr 21, 2022 7:25 PM CDT
Bannon's Co-Founder Pleads Guilty in 'Build the Wall' Scam
Brian Kolfage admits to taking hundreds of thousands in donors' money
: The co-founder of the project to raise money for a border wall pleaded guilty Thursday in a case that once included Steve Bannon, who was an adviser to former President Donald Trump. Brian Kolfage admitted to pocketing hundreds of thousands of dollars, the AP reports, while promising that all...
Go the Route
of Steve Bannon
Feb 13, 2022 8:20 AM CST
Giuliani May Not Go the Route of Steve Bannon
'New York Times' reports he's in talks with House panel to testify about the Capitol riot
- Trump allies Steve Bannon and Mark Meadows have defied the House panel investigating the Capitol riot to the extent that they now face the possibility of criminal charges. Rudy Giuliani may go a different route. The
New York Times
reports that Trump's longtime attorney is in negotiations to testify...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boston College Suspends Swimming, Diving Teams
'When I First Saw It, I Thought This Can't Be Real'
She Worked Her Way Up the Men's Wearhouse Ladder. Now, Jail
Young Would-Be Voters Answer Taylor Swift's Plea
Man Flees After Child Exposed to Fentanyl Dies at Wife's Daycare
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.