Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
UN Agency Warns
of 'Ominous' Rise in
Oct 26, 2022 5:13 PM CDT
UN Agency Warns of 'Ominous' Rise in Greenhouse Gases
Methane in atmosphere posts biggest climb in decades
- The three main greenhouse gases hit record high levels in the atmosphere last year, the UN weather agency said Wednesday, calling it an "ominous" sign as war in Ukraine, rising costs of food and fuel, and other worries have elbowed in on longtime concerns about global warming in recent...
New Zealand Wants to
Tax This Cow's Burps
Oct 12, 2022 8:05 AM CDT
New Zealand Wants to Tax This Cow's Burps
Farmers are not on board with the plan
- There are just 5 million people in New Zealand but some 10 million beef and dairy cattle and 26 million sheep. New Zealand's government on Tuesday proposed taxing the greenhouse gasses those farm animals make from burping and peeing as part of a plan to tackle climate change. The...
Supreme Court Hands Loss
to Green Advocates
Jun 30, 2022 9:23 AM CDT
Supreme Court Hands Loss to Green Advocates
Justices limit EPA's ability to limit emissions from power plants
- In a blow to the fight against climate change, the Supreme Court on Thursday limited how the nation's main anti-air pollution law can be used to reduce carbon dioxide emissions from power plants. By a 6-3 vote, with conservatives in the majority, the court said that the Clean Air...
Experts Warn of Possible 'Taste'
of Crossing Climate Threshold
May 10, 2022 11:00 AM CDT
Experts Warn of Possible 'Taste' of Crossing Climate Threshold
There's a 48% chance temps will reach 1.5 degrees C above preindustrial levels before 2026
- The 2015 Paris Agreement lays out the goal to try to limit global warming to a long-term average of 1.5 degrees Celsius (2.7 degrees Fahrenheit) above preindustrial levels. But there's already a 48% chance that we'll temporarily breach that limit in one of the next five...
Steep Rise in Methane
Is 'Extremely Disturbing'
Apr 8, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Steep Rise in Methane Is 'Extremely Disturbing'
Emissions jumped by record amount last year
- Methane doesn't linger in the air for anywhere near as long as the more notorious greenhouse gas carbon dioxide—but it traps heat 25 times more efficiently, and scientists say the recent steep rise in methane emissions is very disturbing. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration says the concentration...
Gas Stoves Leak Methane
Even When Turned Off
Jan 30, 2022 11:05 AM CST
Gas Stoves Leak Methane Even When Turned Off
New study says effect on the environment is real
- A new study suggests that gas stoves are not as safe for the environment as once believed,
reports. Even when a natural gas cooking stove isn’t on, it leaks methane gas, and the amount is significant in the aggregate, per NPR . In fact, about 80% of the...
Climate Talks End in a Deal
Without Altering Planet's Course
Nov 13, 2021 4:30 PM CST
Climate Talks End in a Deal Without Altering Planet's Course
Weakened wording on coal clears way for accord
- Negotiators from almost 200 nations reached an accord Saturday in the fight against climate change, acknowledging that the problem isn't solved but setting up another attempt at more dramatic action next year. The Glasgow summit did not achieve the central goal of agreeing on action to limit the warming...
'We Are Fighting For the
Survival of Humanity'
Oct 29, 2021 10:25 AM CDT
'We Are Fighting For the Survival of Humanity'
Much of COP26's success rests on China
- The most important climate conference in years is about to begin. Delayed from 2020, the 26th UN Climate Change Conference, or COP26, will run from Sunday to Nov. 12 in Glasgow, Scotland, and will see nations present their updated plans to cut greenhouse gas emissions and lay out how those...
Carbon Dioxide Levels
Reach an Unwanted Record
Jun 7, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Carbon Dioxide Levels Reach an Unwanted Record
Atmosphere is at 419ppm, despite a drop in emissions during the pandemic
- The pandemic and its related shutdowns caused a notable drop in the emission of greenhouse gases. But that did little to put a dent in the growing concentration of carbon dioxide already in the atmosphere, reports the
. The new numbers are in, and they're record-breaking in a...
Study: Meat Prices
Should Jump 146%
Dec 23, 2020 12:31 PM CST
Study: Meat Prices Should Jump 146%
If they're to cover their associated climate costs, that is
- You're doing the planet no favors by eating meat that was produced organically, at least when it comes to greenhouse gas emissions—and whatever meat you're eating, it should cost much, much more than it currently does. That's the determination of a new analysis based on German...
Biden Unveils $2T Climate
Plan: 'What I Think of Is Jobs'
Jul 15, 2020 8:26 AM CDT
Biden Unveils $2T Climate Plan: 'What I Think of Is Jobs'
'The Climate President that America needs,' Wash. Gov. Inslee said in an email response
- Joe Biden released a $2 trillion plan Tuesday to boost investment in clean energy and stop all climate-damaging emissions from US power plants by 2035, arguing that dramatic action is needed to tackle climate change and revive the economy. In remarks near his home in Wilmington, Del., the presumptive Democratic...
Greenhouse Gas Numbers
Are In, and They're Remarkable
May 19, 2020 11:49 AM CDT
Greenhouse Gas Numbers Are In, and They're Remarkable
Carbon dioxide emissions dropped by 17% amid pandemic, but scientists say it won't last
- Scientists have completed the first comprehensive look at how the pandemic has affected greenhouse gas emissions, and the big stat is eye-popping. Daily emissions dropped 17% in April as nations around the world went into lockdown mode, according to the study in the
Nature Climate Change
journal. That figure is...
US Could Be 'Disruptor' at
Climate Change Conference
Dec 2, 2019 3:26 AM CST
US Could Be 'Disruptor' at Climate Change Conference
Negotiators from almost 200 countries are in Madrid
- The annual Conference of Parties climate change talks are underway in Madrid, after a last-minute change of city. The conference was originally meant to be held in Santiago, Chile, but Spain offered to host the talks as Chile's political crisis deepened. Representatives from almost 200 countries, including around 50...
Over Next Decade
Nov 26, 2019 12:30 PM CST
What's Needed Over Next Decade Is 'Unprecedented'
UN Environment Program releases annual Emissions Gap Report
- It's called the Emissions Gap Report . NPR reports that "Chasm" might be a more appropriate word. It's the annual assessment put out by the UN Environment Program, and it was issued Tuesday to gloomy headlines. That's because "the summary findings are bleak," the report...
Have a Dirty Secret
Oct 13, 2019 5:00 PM CDT
20 Companies Have a Dirty Secret
The Climate Accountability Institute says they're responsible for 35% of emissions
- Fossil fuel companies emit greenhouse gases—we know. But a new analysis says 20 such companies are responsible for over a third of all greenhouse gas emissions since 1965, the
reports. Conducted by Richard Heede, an authority at the Climate Accountability Institute, the study says 20 companies have released...
This EPA Rollback
Has a Twist
Aug 29, 2019 8:30 AM CDT
This EPA Rollback Has a Twist
Agency moves to loosen methane regulations, but big companies like Exxon oppose the idea
- The EPA has begun the process of overturning an Obama-era rule on the emission of methane at oil and gas operations, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. The move is in line with the Trump administration's anti-regulatory philosophy, but environmentalists are incensed because methane is seen as a major contributor...
Green New Deal
Fizzles in Senate
Mar 26, 2019 5:10 PM CDT
Green New Deal Fizzles in Senate
But Democrats call it a 'sham' vote
- The Senate on Tuesday defeated a proposal to take up the Green New Deal as both parties shunned an opportunity to debate a comprehensive climate change plan offered by Democrats. Majority Republicans forced the vote as they seek to turn the Green New Deal into a wedge issue in the...
Levels Haven't Been
This Bad in 3M Years
Nov 22, 2018 10:30 AM CST
Greenhouse Gas Levels Haven't Been This Bad in 3M Years
Researcher says the gravity has 'not sunk in'
- Congratulations, you've lived to see a planet transformed back to the Pliocene Epoch , at least in terms of greenhouse gas levels. "The window of opportunity for action is almost closed," says the UN's World Meteorological Organization after its annual assessment found concentrations of carbon dioxide in...
Ocean Study Has
for Climate Change Fight
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Nov 4, 2018 8:43 AM CST
Ocean Study Has Horrific Implications for Climate Change Fight
Heat is going into oceans, not space, researchers say
- A recent United Nations report warned that the world had just a dozen years left to avoid some of the most catastrophic effects of climate change. A new study suggests that assessment was far too optimistic. Researchers using a new method to calculate the amount of heat absorbed by the...
White House Takes Third Step
to Ease Greenhouse Gas Rules
Sep 11, 2018 7:47 AM CDT
White House Takes Third Step to Ease Greenhouse Gas Rules
Administration plans to weaken restrictions on the release of methane gas
- The Trump White House thinks the previous administration went overboard on rules about greenhouse gases, and it's about to make its third big move to correct that. After earlier moves on carbon dioxide pollution from autos and coal plants , this time it's all about methane, reports the
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Black Guest Badgered by Staff Member at Palace Event
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
She Was Behind Some of Fleetwood Mac's Biggest Hits
After Serving 8 Years, Infomercial Pitchman Could Be Jailed Again
Cruise Passenger Found in Gulf Was Seconds From Death
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.