Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Mike Pence Talks
2024 Plans, Trump
May 24, 2022 12:27 AM CDT
Mike Pence Talks 2024 Plans, Trump
Former VP says he could run for president—even against Trump
- Asked by the
New York Times
in a recent interview whether he'd run for president in 2024 even if former President Trump decides to run, Mike Pence wouldn't rule it out. "We’ll go where we’re called," he said of himself and his wife, with...
Stacey Abrams Turns Her
Personal Finances Around
Apr 5, 2022 7:41 AM CDT
Stacey Abrams Turns Her Personal Finances Around
Georgia Democrat, who had little money before 2018 run, is now a multi-millionaire
- When Democrat Stacey Abrams first ran for Georgia governor in 2018, her lackluster personal finances and a hefty bill from the IRS gave Republicans fodder to question how she could manage a state budget when she struggled with her own debts. As she launches a second bid this year, that'...
Finds Herself in a
Feb 9, 2022 6:41 AM CST
Stacey Abrams Finds Herself in a Mask Controversy
She was pictured maskless among masked schoolchildren
- Stacey Abrams apologized Tuesday after a photo of her, maskless, among a group of masked schoolchildren, went viral. The Democratic candidate for Georgia governor was doing a read-aloud at a Decatur elementary school last week for Black History Month and says she had been wearing a mask, but took it...
'Man Who Lost Republicans
the US Senate' Wants New Job
Dec 6, 2021 12:00 AM CST
'Man Who Lost Republicans the US Senate' Wants New Job
Looks like former Sen. David Perdue is running for Georgia governor against Brian Kemp
- Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp, who drew former President Trump's wrath for refusing to act on his false allegations of a stolen election, is likely to face a prominent challenger for the 2022 Republican primary for governor: former Sen. David Perdue. Late Sunday, a website and text updates launched for...
Rematch in Georgia
Dec 1, 2021 7:05 PM CST
Abrams Seeks Rematch in Georgia
Democrat lost close race to Brian Kemp last time
- Stacey Abrams, the Georgia Democrat and leading voting rights activist, said Wednesday that she will launch another campaign to become the nation's first Black woman governor. Without serious competition in a Democratic primary, the announcement could set up a rematch between Abrams and Republican Gov. Brian Kemp. Their 2018...
of Tulsa Race
May 30, 2021 10:40 AM CDT
Tensions Shake Commemoration of Tulsa Race Massacre
Stadium event with John Legend and Stacey Abrams is off
- The 100th anniversary commemoration of the Tulsa Race Massacre has become entangled in a series of contentious developments, canceling some of the centerpiece events. The city is marking the horrific event over the weekend, a century after a white mob killed as many as 300 people, destroying the homes of...
See New Light of Day
May 5, 2021 9:20 AM CDT
Stacey Abrams Romance Novels See New Light of Day
Woman of varied talents has new thriller coming out, to be followed by romance reissues
- Plenty of people know Stacey Abrams, the political organizer, voting rights activist, and former Georgia gubernatorial candidate. Soon, many more will get to know Abrams, the romance novelist . Penguin Random House imprint Berkley has obtained the rights to the first three romance novels Abrams wrote more than 20 years ago...
College Coach Canned for
Racist Stacey Abrams Tweet
Jan 8, 2021 9:18 AM CST
College Coach Canned for Racist Stacey Abrams Tweet
Assistant coach Chris Malone no longer with University of Tennessee at Chattanooga football team
- An assistant coach for the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga's football team no longer has a job after penning a racist tweet voicing his frustrations over the recent results of the Georgia Senate races. ESPN reports Chris Malone was fired Thursday, with both Mocs head coach Rusty Wright and...
Got the Money
to Win Races
Nov 9, 2020 10:40 AM CST
Abrams: We've Got the Money to Win Races in Georgia
Fate of the Senate may come down to state's 2 runoff elections in January
- Stacey Abrams has been winning widespread praise among Democrats after the race in Georgia was called in Joe Biden's favor, even if victory won't be certain until a recount takes place . Now the former gubernatorial candidate is in the spotlight again as she leads Democratic fundraising efforts for...
As Georgia Turns Bluer, All
Eyes Turn to Stacey Abrams
Nov 6, 2020 1:50 PM CST
As Georgia Turns Bluer, All Eyes Turn to Stacey Abrams
Democrats are praising her for years of work on registering voters, fighting suppression
- Joe Biden now has a slim lead in Georgia, while both of the state's Senate races might be headed to a runoff. Not long ago, the possibility that Democrats could do so well in Georgia would have been unthinkable in what has long been a reliably red state. But...
Atlanta Wendy's Burns
in New Protests
Jun 14, 2020 5:43 AM CDT
Atlanta Wendy's Burns in New Protests
Some 3 dozen arrested in Georgia as anti-racist protests continue to roil the US, Paris, England
- Protests initially ignited by the May 25 death of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police continued over the weekend, as anti-racism protesters sought to call attention to the deaths of two more black men and Black Lives Matter demonstrations unfolded in London and Paris. Early Sunday, Atlanta police...
Next for Kamala Harris?
She's Looking Beyond VP
May 11, 2020 8:57 AM CDT
Next for Kamala Harris? She's Looking Beyond VP
She's a top contender, but attorney general, governor, or longer Senate career also options
- Last summer, then-presidential candidate Kamala Harris emerged as Joe Biden's toughest critic in the Democratic primary over his record on race issues. Now, however, Politico reports that the California senator is the favorite to be his running mate. The story says Elizabeth Warren also is in strong contention, but...
'Willing to Serve'
Apr 27, 2020 5:16 AM CDT
Stacey Abrams: 'Willing to Serve'
She's in if she's Joe Biden's VP pick
- Count Stacey Abrams in. "As a young black girl growing up in Mississippi, I learned that if I didn’t speak up for myself, no one else would, so ... my mission is to say out loud if I’m asked the question, 'Yes, I would be willing to...
Now the Big Biden
Question: Who Is VP?
Apr 9, 2020 8:32 AM CDT
Now the Big Biden Question: Who Is VP?
Kamala Harris is seen as a top contender to be his running mate
- Now that Bernie Sanders has dropped out , focus is turning to the VP pick of presumptive nominee Joe Biden. The former vice president already has pledged to pick a woman as his running mate, and Aaron Blake of the
ranks the "most logical" candidates. No. 1 on...
I'm Open to Being
Aug 14, 2019 1:25 PM CDT
Stacey Abrams: I'm Open to Being Nominee's VP
'I would be honored to be considered by any nominee'
- Stacey Abrams may have decided to focus her efforts on voter protection rather than running for president—but that doesn't mean she's completely shutting down the idea of entering the 2020 fray. "I would be honored to be considered by any nominee" for the position of vice...
Aug 13, 2019 6:51 PM CDT
Stacey Abrams Makes Her 'Big Announcement'
She's not running for president, but is launching a voter protection initiative
- Democrat Stacey Abrams, who vaulted onto the national political stage championing voting rights during an unsuccessful 2018 run for Georgia governor, announced on Tuesday that she's launching a new multistate voter protection initiative and not running for president in 2020. Abrams revealed plans for the multimillion-dollar initiative, called Fair...
Biden Reportedly Considers
Unusual 2020 Strategy
Mar 21, 2019 5:12 PM CDT
Biden Reportedly Considers Unusual 2020 Strategy
Stacey Abrams could be his choice on Day One
- When Joe Biden announces that he's running for president, he might make it a double reveal, Axios reports: Close advisers say the former vice president is considering telling voters he'll pick popular Georgia Democrat and rising star Stacey Abrams as his running mate if he wins the Democratic...
Stacey Abrams: 'We
Do Not Succeed Alone'
Feb 6, 2019 12:14 AM CST
Stacey Abrams: 'We Do Not Succeed Alone'
Democrat delivers powerful SOTU response
- Stacey Abrams stepped onto the biggest stage of her political career Tuesday and accused President Trump and his fellow Republicans of abandoning working Americans and fomenting partisan and cultural discord. The Georgia Democrat introduced herself to the nation months after narrowly losing her bid to become America's first black...
Abrams Ends Georgia Bid
With Fiery Parting Shot
Nov 16, 2018 6:54 PM CST
Abrams Ends Georgia Bid With Fiery Parting Shot
She acknowledges Brian Kemp will be the next governor, accuses him of voter suppression
- It's over in Georgia: Stacey Abrams called a press conference Friday to acknowledge that Republican Brian Kemp will be the state's next governor, reports Politico . But Abrams made clear that she thinks Kemp, who oversaw the election as secretary of state, is guilty of foul play. "To...
In Contentious Ga.
Kemp Resigns as
Secretary of State
Nov 8, 2018 10:10 AM CST
In Contentious Ga. Governor's Race, Kemp Resigns as Secretary of State
Stacey Abrams is still hoping for a runoff
- Republican Brian Kemp resigned Thursday as Georgia's secretary of state, a day after his campaign said he has enough votes to become Georgia governor, even though his election rival is conceding nothing in one of the nation's marquee midterm races. As the state's top election official, Kemp...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
2 Deaths in the World of Music
Teen Has Heart Attack After Massive Horse Kick
10-Year-Old Survivor Describes Shooting
Almost Everyone Has Now Pulled Out of NRA Concert
Texas Official: Police Made 'Wrong Decision' at Shooting
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.