Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Texas mass shooting
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cop Handing Out Stickers
Chased, Killed a Mass Shooter
Jun 29, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
Cop Handing Out Stickers Chased, Killed a Mass Shooter
Body camera footage from Texas mall shooting is released
- A police officer in Allen, Texas, was having a friendly chat with a mother and her two children, to whom he'd given stickers, when gunshots erupted a short distance away at Allen Premium Outlets on May 6. As a newly released body camera video shows, that officer immediately grabbed...
A Year After Uvalde,
Families Feel 'Betrayal'
May 24, 2023 6:02 AM CDT
A Year After Uvalde, Families Feel 'Betrayal'
Parents are still seeking answers in a Texas city torn by massacre that killed 19 children, 2 teachers
- Wednesday is the one-year anniversary of the mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, which left 19 students and two teachers dead. Plans are in the works for a new school to replace the one where the massacre took place, in a different location in the city. "...
Texas GOP Puts Stop
to Gun Control Measure
May 10, 2023 6:15 PM CDT
Texas GOP Puts Stop to Gun Control Measure
Measure neared House vote before gun rights groups went to work
- Rare momentum in the Texas Capitol for a tougher gun law flickered out Wednesday after Republicans stalled a bill that would raise the purchase age for AR-style rifles, virtually ensuring the GOP-controlled Legislature will in no major way restrict gun access after more mass shootings. The legislation—always a longshot—...
Texas Mall Shooter
Over Mental Health
May 10, 2023 6:10 AM CDT
Army Expelled Texas Mall Shooter Over Mental Health
Gunman was 18 at the time, officials said he had an adjustment disorder
- The gunman who killed eight people and wounded seven others in a shooting at an outlet mall in Allen, Texas, had targeted the shopping center and was carrying three firearms on him when he was killed by a police officer, authorities said Tuesday. He had another five guns in his...
GoFundMe Campaign Surges
for Boy Orphaned by Shooting
May 9, 2023 10:34 AM CDT
GoFundMe Campaign Surges for Boy Orphaned by Shooting
Online fundraiser for William Cho, 6, has raised more than $1.3M in Allen, Texas
- One of the young survivors of the mall shooting in Allen, Texas, has evidently struck a nerve among Americans. A GoFundMe page for 6-year-old William Cho had raised more than $1.3 million as of Tuesday morning. William was orphaned in the shooting—his Korean-American parents, Kyu Cho, 37, and...
After Mass Shooting in Texas,
an Ill-Advised Facebook Post
May 9, 2023 7:51 AM CDT
After Mass Shooting in Texas, an Ill-Advised Facebook Post
Chamber of commerce post welcomed new member 'Pulling Triggers' after tragedy in Allen
- Pulling Triggers and Pulling Corks is "the melding of two amazing worlds," per its website : guns and booze, with a mission of teaching its students firearms skills, as well as holding wine and whiskey events and tastings. What Texas locals didn't find amazing was a promo over...
Boy, 6, Lost His Entire Family
in Texas Mall Shooting
May 9, 2023 6:34 AM CDT
Boy, 6, Lost His Entire Family in Texas Mall Shooting
2 young sisters were also among the dead
- The eight victims in Saturday's mall shooting in Allen, Texas, included two young sisters as well as another young child who was killed alongside his parents, leaving his older brother orphaned. While authorities have not publicly identified all of the victims yet, relatives, friends, and organizations with which they...
Texas Mall Shooter Wore
'Right Wing Death Squad' Patch
May 8, 2023 5:56 AM CDT
Texas Mall Shooter Wore 'Right Wing Death Squad' Patch
Sources say he may have held neo-Nazi beliefs
- The gunman who killed eight people and injured seven others in a shooting at a mall in Allen, Texas, on Saturday has been identified as Mauricio Garcia, 33, a resident of nearby Dallas. Garcia, who was fatally shot by a police officer, may have held neo-Nazi beliefs, sources tell the...
After Shooting, Politicians
Argue Prayers vs. Laws
May 7, 2023 2:55 PM CDT
After Shooting, Politicians Argue Prayers vs. Laws
God's in charge, Texas lawmaker says, while advocate counters 'prayers without action are empty'
- A frequent response to mass shootings has been to urge prayers. After the shooting at a Texas mall on Saturday, politicians who repeated that call—including a couple of them who represent the people of Allen—faced a backlash. The area's congressman, Republican Rep. Keith Self called prayer powerful...
Gunman's Wife Arrested
May 3, 2023 11:45 AM CDT
Suspected Texas Gunman's Wife Arrested
Divimara Lamar Nava is charged with hindering the apprehension of a known felon
- A day after the man suspected of killing five of his neighbors in a Texas shooting was arrested, the sheriff says his wife has also been taken into custody. Divimara Lamar Nava, 53, identified as the wife of suspect Francisco Oropeza, was in custody in connection with the Friday night...
Man Accused of
May 3, 2023 6:51 AM CDT
Man Accused of Killing Neighbors Found Hiding Under Laundry
38-year-old suspect found in nearby town
- The man accused of fatally shooting five of his Texas neighbors after he was asked to fire his weapon farther away from their home was caught Tuesday night after a four-day manhunt. Francisco Oropesa (sometimes spelled Oropeza) was found mere miles from the Cleveland, Texas, home where the massacre took...
Texas Shooting: Family
Called Cops 5 Times
May 1, 2023 12:20 PM CDT
Texas Shooting: Family Called Cops 5 Times
Wilson Garcia talks about the events that led up to the slayings of his wife, son, 3 others
- Wilson Garcia hadn’t even asked his neighbor to stop shooting his gun. People in their rural Texas town are used to people firing their weapons to blow off steam, but it was late Friday, and Garcia had a month-old son who was crying. So, Garcia tells the AP , he...
Texas Governor Slammed for
Tweets After Mass Shooting
May 1, 2023 6:24 AM CDT
Texas Governor Slammed for Tweets After Mass Shooting
Gregg Abbott labels victims 'illegal immigrants'; reward for suspected gunman jumps to $80K
- On Saturday, Texas authorities had an idea where the suspect in a mass shooting that killed five Friday night might have been hiding out. By Sunday, that inkling had vanished. "We do not know where he is. We do not have any tips on where he may be,"...
Gunman On the Run
After Texas Mass Shooting
Apr 29, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
Gunman On the Run After Texas Mass Shooting
5 are dead after Friday night killings in San Jacinto County, Texas; youngest victim was 8
- Five are dead, including an 8-year-old, following a mass shooting late Friday night in a Texas town north of Houston. The San Jacinto County Sheriff's Office says that four of the victims were pronounced dead at the scene, while a fifth was taken to a local hospital and died...
Feds Reach Payout Deal in
Deadliest Texas Shooting
Apr 5, 2023 11:31 AM CDT
Feds Reach Payout Deal in Deadliest Texas Shooting
They appealed judge's order to pay $230M in Sutherland Springs mass shooting case
- More than five years after a man who shouldn't have been able to buy a gun massacred 26 people, including an unborn child, at a church in Texas, the Justice Department says it has reached a deal with survivors and the families of the victims. "The agreement in...
Mass Shooting Defendant Enters
Guilty Pleas to Federal Charges
Feb 8, 2023 6:50 PM CST
Mass Shooting Defendant Enters Guilty Pleas to Federal Charges
Death sentence is still possible if state wins capitol murder conviction in El Paso slayings
- A Texas man pleaded guilty Wednesday to federal charges accusing him of killing nearly two dozen people in a racist attack at an El Paso Walmart, changing his plea weeks after the federal government said it wouldn't seek the death penalty for the hate crimes and firearms violations. Patrick...
Mother of Uvalde Killer Charged
in Domestic Violence Case
Jan 6, 2023 4:10 PM CST
Mother of Uvalde Killer Charged in Domestic Violence Case
Adriana Martinez Reyes jailed in Oklahoma
- The mother of the gunman who killed 21 people in the Uvalde, Texas, school massacre in May has been arrested in a domestic violence case, Oklahoma City police said. Officers were called to a home Wednesday morning, where a man told them that Adriana Martinez Reyes had threatened to kill...
Uvalde Aide Accused
of Leaving Door Open Speaks
Oct 25, 2022 12:58 AM CDT
Uvalde Aide Accused of Leaving Door Open Speaks
Emilia Marin says she is suffering mentally, emotionally
- The gunman who killed 19 students and two teachers at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, was initially said to have gotten into the school via a door left propped open by a teacher. The director of the Texas Department of Public Safety, Col. Steven McCraw, who initially made that...
Uvalde School District
Shuts Down Police Force
Oct 7, 2022 3:30 PM CDT
Uvalde School District Shuts Down Police Force
All officers are suspended, and superintendent decided to retire
- In the face of bitter criticism and unanswered questions about the law enforcement response to the Uvalde mass shooting, the Texas school district on Friday announced that it has suspended its entire police force. District officials said they've asked for state troopers to fill in at campuses and extracurricular...
Grieving Uvalde Dad Gets
Poignant, Unsettling Tattoo
Sep 21, 2022 1:00 AM CDT
Grieving Uvalde Dad Gets Poignant, Unsettling Tattoo
Brett Cross' 10-year-old son was among the students killed
- In July, the
published video from the hallway where police officers waited to confront the gunman who killed 19 children and two teachers at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, on May 24. An editor's note was attached to the video: "The sounds of children screaming...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
$100M Botticelli Found in Home
Her Body Was Found by Rock Climbers 26 Years Ago
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.