Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 2,830,856+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Texas mass shooting
Stories 1 - 20 |
Walmart Shooting Claims Another Victim, 8 Months on
Guillermo 'Memo' Garcia dies of his injuries
- The death toll from the August mass shooting at an El Paso Walmart is now 23. More than eight months after he was shot in the store's parking lot, Guillermo “Memo” Garcia has died, KTSM reports. The soccer coach leaves behind his wife and two children . Twenty girls...
Cops: El Paso Shooting 'Hero' Made Up His Story
Chris Grant was honored by President Trump Monday
- For many people, the day they visited the White House to be honored for heroic actions would be one to remember with pride. It didn't work out that way for El Paso mass shooting survivor Christopher Grant. The 50-year-old was arrested by Secret Service agents when he arrived with...
Cops: Call From Dad Prevented Possible Mass Shooting
Texas man planned copycat shooting, police say
- A concerned father and law-abiding businesses helped thwart a potential mass shooting in Texas last week, police say. Officers in Fort Worth say the father of a 27-year-old man contacted police on Sept. 3, warning that his son had not been taking his medication and he was worried that he...
After Mass Shooting, O'Rourke Campaign Hawks 'F-ed Up' T-Shirts
Proceeds will benefit anti-gun violence groups
- Beto O'Rourke denounced gun violence in no uncertain terms after Saturday's mass shooting in his home state—and his campaign has now put those words on a T-shirt. The Democratic presidential candidate repeatedly described the massacre in Odessa, Texas, and the "epidemic of gun violence in America"...
'What a Horrific Day for Odessa'
Texas shooting began with a traffic stop
- The nation's latest mass shooting began with a simple afternoon traffic stop: NBC News reports that a police officer pulled over the suspect, driving a gold Honda, for failing to signal a left turn around 3:17pm on Saturday between Midland and Odessa, Texas. The AP reports that the...
Alleged El Paso Shooter Now on Suicide Watch
El Paso suspect is accused of killing 22
- Jail officials do not want alleged El Paso mass shooter Patrick Crusius to become the next Jeffrey Epstein. An El Paso County Sheriff's Office spokesperson tells KVIA that the 21-year-old is now on suicide watch at the El Paso County Detention Facility, where he was already segregated from the...
More Arrests Follow Threats to Walmart Stores
13-year-old is among those charged
- A man was arrested at home in south Texas on Saturday on a charge of making a terrorist threat involving a local Walmart, the
Dallas Morning News
reports. Police say the man had said he planned a shooting at the store that morning. In a city nearby, police had arrested...
Weeks Before El Paso Shooting, Suspect's Mom Called Cops
She said she was worried about her son's new rifle
- The mother of the man accused of killing 22 people in an El Paso Walmart called police weeks before the mass shooting because she was worried about his new gun, but they told her there wasn't a lot they could do, lawyers for the family say. Attorneys Chris Ayres...
Amnesty International Issues US Travel Warning
Organization cites 'rampant gun violence'
- The US is now among the countries covered by an Amnesty International travel warning. The international human rights organization issued the warning Wednesday, tweeting that visitors to the United States should "exercise extreme caution & have a contingency plan when travelling throughout the country" because of ongoing "rampant...
Trump to Face Protests in El Paso, Dayton
He plans to meet with first responders, shooting victims
- President Trump says he is going to visit Dayton and El Paso on Wednesday "to meet with First Responders, Law Enforcement, and some of the victims of the terrible shootings"—but protesters in both cities say he will not be welcome. Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley, a Democrat, said...
Last Body Removed From Walmart, Then Death Toll Rose
Number killed in El Paso now stands at 22
- The number of people killed at an El Paso Walmart has increased by two to 22, officials said Monday, as two of the wounded succumbed to their injuries. The El Paso PD tweeted news of the two additional deaths this morning. Neither victim's name has been released. ABC News...
Neil deGrasse Tyson Ripped Apart Over Shooting Tweet
He shared the 'data'
- Like so many other Americans, Neil deGrasse Tyson took to Twitter on Sunday afternoon to tweet about the El Paso and Dayton shootings. His words weren't well received. The astrophysicist wrote :
"In the past 48hrs, the USA horrifically lost 34 people to mass shootings. On average, across any
Manifesto Linked to Texas Shooter: 'Send Them Back'
Purported words of Patrick Crusius emerge in media reports
- About 20 minutes before the shooting started at an El Paso Walmart, a rambling screed was posted to an online message board saying the massacre was in response to an "invasion" of Hispanics coming across the southern border, the AP reports. Titled "The Inconvenient Truth," it railed...
After 2 Mass Shootings, Trump Hides From View
His tweets oddly mix support for the grief-stricken and UFC fighter Colby Covington
- As the nation reeled from two mass shootings in less than a day, President Donald Trump spent the first hours after the tragedies out of sight at his New Jersey golf course, sending out tweets of support awkwardly mixed in with those promoting a celebrity fight and attacking his political...
O'Rourke: 'Let's Be Very Clear About What Is Causing This'
Other Democrats also react strongly to the latest mass shootings
- Democratic candidates are hitting President Trump—and hitting him hard—after two mass shootings gut-punched America over the weekend. Beto O'Rourke appeared on CNN's
State of the Union
: "Let's be very clear about what is causing this and who the president is," said the former...
Texas Shooting Gets Official Designation
And an anti-immigrant screed has been linked to the shooter
- A Justice Department official says the federal government is treating the El Paso shooting that killed 20 people as a "domestic terrorist" case, the AP reports. US Attorney John Bash said Sunday in El Paso that the feds are also investigating the attack at a shopping plaza with a...
In El Paso Shooting, a Soldier Saved Lives
Glendon Oakley Jr. started running kids outside when shooting broke out
- Twenty people died in a hail of bullets Saturday at an El Paso mall, but officials say that the tragedy might have been worse were it not for the efforts of Glendon Oakley Jr., reports the
. The 22-year-old private stationed at Fort Bliss was at a Foot...
Trump Tweets Condolences for Wrong Mass Shooting
He sent late-night message about Sutherland Springs
- A possibly jet-lagged President Trump arrived back in the US late Tuesday—and sent his condolences to victims of the wrong mass shooting. "May God be with the people of Sutherland Springs, Texas," he tweeted around midnight. "The FBI and Law Enforcement has arrived." Trump apparently...
Ex-Wife Says Texas Shooter 'Had a Lot of Demons'
And an Air Force staff sergeant says Devin Kelley was 'a dude on the edge'
- "He just had a lot of demons or hatred inside of him," Tessa Brennaman tells CBS News regarding her ex-husband, Devin Kelley, who killed 26 people in a Texas church last Sunday. Brennaman gave her first interview since the shooting Friday. The
New York Times
reports Brennaman was...
Pastor: Site of Massacre Can't Be a Church Anymore
Frank Pomery suggests building in Sutherland Springs be demolished
- The Texas church where more than two dozen people were killed by a gunman during Sunday services will be demolished, the pastor said. Pastor Frank Pomeroy told leaders of the Southern Baptist Convention that it would be too painful to continue using First Baptist Church as a place of worship,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump at Rushmore: Protests, Few Masks, a Miffed Neil Young
Trump Jr. GF Gets Bad News Before Mount Rushmore Event
Trump Niece: Here's Why the Case Against Me Is Nuts
Mutated Virus Now Dominates: Research
Shop Owner Posts Edgy Mask Sign That Goes Viral
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.