Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Wife of 'El Chapo'
Learns Her Fate
Nov 30, 2021 5:14 PM CST
Wife of 'El Chapo' Learns Her Fate
Emma Coronel sentenced to 3 years on drug charges
- The wife of Mexican drug kingpin Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman was sentenced Tuesday to three years in prison after pleading guilty to helping her husband run his multibillion-dollar criminal empire. Emma Coronel Aispuro also helped her husband plan a dramatic escape through a tunnel dug underneath a prison in...
Mexico Is Giving Away
El Chapo's Safehouse
Sep 15, 2021 5:45 PM CDT
Mexico Is Giving Away El Chapo's Safehouse
Entrance to escape tunnel has been covered
- The house former drug kingpin Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzmán fled in 2014 when Mexican marines had him surrounded underwent some changes recently as the Mexican government prepared to give it away in a national lottery. The surveillance cameras that covered every angle of the modest home's...
Key to El Chapo's Big Escape:
Wife's Gift of a GPS Watch
Jun 10, 2021 1:50 PM CDT
Key to El Chapo's Big Escape: Wife's Gift of a GPS Watch
Emma Coronel Aispuro pleads guilty to helping run Mexican cartel, admits role in 2015 escape
- Both heads of the El Chapo household are now guilty of running a drug cartel. Emma Coronel Aispuro, the 31-year-old wife of Mexican drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman, pleaded guilty in federal court in DC on Thursday to multiple charges including drug trafficking and money laundering, reports CNN...
El Chapo's Wife Arrested
Feb 23, 2021 12:05 AM CST
El Chapo's Wife Arrested
Emma Coronel Aispuro accused of helping Joaquin Guzman run drug cartel
- The wife of Mexican drug kingpin Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman was arrested Monday in the United States and accused of helping her husband run his multibillion-dollar cartel and plot his audacious escape from a Mexican prison in 2015. Emma Coronel Aispuro, a 31-year-old former beauty queen, was arrested at...
Mar 30, 2020 3:37 PM CDT
Mexico Rattled by President's Handshake
Andrés Manuel López Obrador traveled to El Chapo's hometown, greeted his mother
- Mexicans may not want to imitate the behavior of their president. Just one day after the country's deputy health minister urged the population to stay at home, Andrés Manuel López Obrador traveled to Badiraguato, well known as the birthplace of El Chapo. He made his visit on...
of 'The Empress'
Feb 3, 2020 3:48 PM CST
El Chapo's Daughter Weds Nephew of 'The Empress'
Alejandrina Guzman marries Edgar Cazares in Mexico
- Mazel tov: El Chapo's daughter has married the nephew of another drug boss. Alejandrina Guzman, daughter of Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman, married Edgar Cazares on Jan. 25 in Sinaloa’s state capital, Culiacan, Reuters reports. As the UK
explains, Cazares is the nephew of Blanca Margarita Cazares,...
Prosecutor Reveals an Alleged
$1M Bribe Paid by 'El Chapo'
Oct 3, 2019 12:38 AM CDT
Prosecutor Reveals an Alleged $1M Bribe Paid by 'El Chapo'
Claims Guzman gave the money to the Honduras leader's brother
- Prosecutors alleged Wednesday that convicted Mexican drug lord Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán personally gave $1 million in bribes to the brother of Honduras' president to pass on to the Central American leader—who swiftly denied wrongdoing. Prosecutor Jason Richman revealed the allegation in a federal court in...
El Chapo Decries Case as
'Stained' as He's Handed Life
Jul 17, 2019 10:30 AM CDT
El Chapo Decries Case as 'Stained' as He's Handed Life
Joaquin 'El Chapo' Guzman will spend rest of his life in a US prison
- El Chapo's punishment is not a light one. A federal judge in Brooklyn on Wednesday sentenced Mexican drug lord Joaquin Guzman to life in prison plus 30 years; he also must pay $12.6 billion in forfeiture, reports CNN . Guzman spoke at the sentencing hearing, saying "my case...
to El Chapo
Jul 3, 2019 5:14 PM CDT
Judge Hands Bad News to El Chapo
Rejects Mexican drug lord's request for a new trial
- A New York judge has rejected a request for a new trial by the Mexican drug lord known as El Chapo, the AP reports. US District Judge Brian Cogan said in a written ruling Wednesday that a "mountain range of evidence" introduced against Joaquin Guzman overcame his claims that...
Drug Lord's Wife to Run
El Chapo Clothing Line
Apr 1, 2019 5:16 PM CDT
Drug Lord's Wife to Run El Chapo Clothing Line
Convict wanted a 'legitimate business' for his family, lawyer says
- With plenty of time on his hands, Joaquín Guzmán has signed a contract in his prison cell to market a clothing line bearing his name and signature. His wife, Emma Coronel Aispuro, will run the new company. "This project is an idea Joaquin and I have had...
After Reports About Jury,
El Chapo Wants New Trial
Feb 22, 2019 4:15 PM CST
After Reports About Jury, El Chapo Wants New Trial
Jurors reportedly disobeyed judge, followed media accounts of the trial
- The defense team for Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman said Friday it will seek a new trial for the notorious drug lord in light of "misconduct" on the part of several jurors who allegedly followed media accounts of the case against the instructions of a federal judge. Defense attorney...
El Chapo's Sons
Feb 22, 2019 8:00 AM CST
Feds Charge El Chapo's Sons
2 younger sons accused of conspiracy to distribute drugs in US
- The feds got El Chapo . Now they want two of his sons. The Justice Department on Thursday announced drug conspiracy charges against the younger sons of Joaquin Guzmán, who are accused of working to send cocaine, marijuana, and methamphetamine across the US border from Mexico, where both are believed...
El Chapo Juror: We Violated
the Judge's Instructions
Feb 21, 2019 5:44 AM CST
El Chapo Juror: We Violated the Judge's Instructions
Lawyers suggest the drug lord didn't get a fair trial
- A member of the jury that found Mexican drug lord Joaquín "El Chapo" Guzman guilty on all counts tells Vice News at least five jurors followed news coverage of the case during the trial, violating the judge's orders. Judge Brian Cogan regularly reminded jurors to stay away...
Guzman Jurors Were
Warned Not to Go Public
Feb 14, 2019 7:40 AM CST
Guzman Jurors Were Warned Not to Go Public
'Once that door is opened, it can't be closed,' judge said
- There has been a huge amount of public interest in the trial of Joaquin Guzman—but jurors who listened to months of testimony about the bloodthirsty Sinaloa drug cartel are in no rush to release tell-all books or make the rounds on talk shows. The identities of the 12 jurors...
Guzman Likely Bound
for 'Escape-Proof' Prison
Feb 13, 2019 6:52 AM CST
Guzman Likely Bound for 'Escape-Proof' Prison
'He'll never be allowed on the yard,' former warden says
- Joaquin Guzman has a history of spectacular prison breaks—but this time, he's not going to be able to climb through an escape hatch in his shower and ride away on a motorbike. Experts say "El Chapo," who faces a mandatory life sentence after being found guilty...
After El Chapo Found Guilty,
'Subtle' Gesture From Wife
Feb 12, 2019 12:47 PM CST
After El Chapo Found Guilty, 'Subtle' Gesture From Wife
Joaquin Guzman will get a mandatory life sentence
- After a Hollywood-esque trial and a week of jury deliberations , Mexican drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman has been found guilty of all 10 counts against him and will get a mandatory life sentence, reports the
New York Times
. The first count essentially accused Guzman of being the mastermind...
The El Chapo Jury Is Still
Deliberating. Here's Why
Feb 12, 2019 10:15 AM CST
The El Chapo Jury Is Still Deliberating. Here's Why
The first of 10 counts has 27 separate violations to assess. Then there are 9 more counts
- The trial itself was riveting in a made-for-the-movies kind of way. Jurors in the El Chapo case in New York heard about murders , mistresses , daring escapes , massive bribes , and much more. You might have even envied jurors for their front-row seats. Now, not so much. The jury deciding whether Joaquin...
Trial of 'El Chapo'
Was an 'Amazing
Feb 1, 2019 1:24 PM CST
Trial of 'El Chapo' Was an 'Amazing Open Book'
Now Joaquin Guzman's fate is in the hands of the jury
- Closing arguments wound down Thursday in the trial of Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman, leaving in their wake in a Brooklyn courthouse tales "that at times echoed a Shakespearean drama and at others detailed a Sinaloa cartel bloodbath," per NBC News . The 61-year-old drug kingpin's fate is...
El Chapo's Defense
Rests Case After 30 Minutes
Jan 29, 2019 1:51 PM CST
El Chapo's Defense Rests Case After 30 Minutes
Closing arguments set to begin Wednesday in trial of Mexican drug kingpin
- After a prosecution that spanned 11 weeks and had its share of bombshells, the defense case at the US trial of Mexican drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman clocked in on Tuesday at a mere 30 minutes, the AP reports. Attorney Jeffrey Lichtman called one witness and entered one...
El Chapo Trial May End
Sooner Than Expected
Jan 29, 2019 12:07 AM CST
El Chapo Trial May End Sooner Than Expected
Guzman waved to the guy who plays him on Netflix
- Mexican drug lord Joaquin "El Chapo" Guzman told a judge Monday that he won't take the witness stand in his own defense at his US drug-trafficking trial, ending speculation that he might go for broke and build on a notorious reputation already cemented by the sprawling government case...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Prosecutors Whip Out Surprise Document in Trump Org Trial
She Vanished From Her Home. A FedEx Driver Has Been Arrested
Musk's Surprise Friday Leak: 'The Twitter Files'
Green Book Actor Found Dead on Bronx Street
Report Details 'Enormous, Virtually Irreversible' Loss in Amazon
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.