Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sep 28, 2023 5:55 PM CDT
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
Outgoing chairman of Joint Chiefs responds to 'death' post by former president
- Retiring Gen. Mark Milley said he has personal security measures in place, and will take other steps, in response to Donald Trump's suggestion that the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff deserves to be executed. In a
interview scheduled to air Sunday, Axios reports, CBS' Norah...
US Fears Ukraine
Won't Meet Main Goal
Aug 18, 2023 9:42 AM CDT
US Fears Ukraine Won't Meet Main Goal of Counteroffensive
Forces are slowly making progress, but 'gateway to Crimea' could be out of reach
- After more than two months of fighting, Ukraine has failed to make a major breakthrough in its counteroffensive and American intelligence officials now believe it won't meet its main objective, the
reports, citing sources in the intelligence community. The
sources say US officials have predicted...
Trump Owns Having Classified
Document on Recording: Report
Jun 1, 2023 7:21 AM CDT
Trump Owns Having Classified Document on Recording: Report
Former president also reportedly mentions limitations on his ability to declassify records
- Federal prosecutors have obtained a 2021 recording in which former President Trump speaks of having kept a classified military document about a potential attack on Iran after leaving the White House, while noting that it is secret and that he hadn't declassified it, according to CNN and the
May 5, 2023 1:45 PM CDT
Three Big Staffing Moves at White House
Gen. CQ Brown Jr. apparent pick for Joint Chiefs of Staff chair; Wolensky exits; Neera Tanden to replace Susan Rice
- President Joe Biden is expected to nominate a history-making Air Force fighter pilot general with years of experience in shaping US defenses to meet China's rise to serve as the nation's next top military officer, according to two people familiar with the decision. If confirmed by the Senate,...
Top US General Vowed
to Fight Trump 'From the Inside'
Aug 8, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Top US General Vowed to Fight Trump 'From the Inside'
Book excerpt reveals displeasure of Mark Milley, chairman of the joint chiefs of staff
- The books about the presidency of Donald Trump continue to roll out, and an excerpt from an upcoming one details the tension between Trump and Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Milley got so fed up with Trump that he wrote a letter of resignation before...
Milley Sees China Becoming
More Threatening in Pacific
Jul 24, 2022 11:35 AM CDT
Milley Sees China Becoming More Threatening in Pacific
Joint Chiefs chairman meets with region's defense leaders
- The Chinese military has become more aggressive and dangerous over the past five years, the top US military officer said during a trip to the Indo-Pacific that included a stop Sunday in Indonesia. Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said that the number of intercepts by...
'In an Unpredictable World,'
US Leads NATO Exercise
Jun 5, 2022 2:05 PM CDT
'In an Unpredictable World,' US Leads NATO Exercise
Sweden, Finland take part in 7K-personnel drill
- NATO kicked off nearly a two-week, US-led naval exercise on the Baltic Sea on Sunday with more than 7,000 sailors, airmen, and marines from 16 nations, including two aspiring to join the military alliance, Finland and Sweden. The annual BALTOPS naval exercise, initiated in 1972, is not held in...
Going to Ukraine
May 23, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
High-Tech Arms Going to Ukraine Include Harpoon Launcher
International meeting of defense leaders discusses sending more advanced weapons
- Nearly 50 defense leaders from around the world met Monday and agreed to send more advanced weapons to Ukraine, including a harpoon launcher and missiles to protect its coast, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin told reporters. And Gen. Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said that "low-level"...
Gen. Milley Offers Prediction
on Timeline for War in Ukraine
Apr 6, 2022 9:20 AM CDT
Gen. Milley Offers Prediction on Timeline for War in Ukraine
Joint Chiefs of Staff chair says invasion could last 'years': 'I do think this is a very protracted conflict'
- Initial predictions that Russia could quickly take Ukraine , perhaps in a matter of days, haven't come to fruition, and now some are speculating the war will be a long-extended one. Joining that latter camp: Gen. Mark Milley, chair of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and America's top military...
Milley: 4 Administrations
Made Afghanistan Mistakes
Sep 29, 2021 7:15 PM CDT
Milley: 4 Administrations Made Afghanistan Mistakes
Effect was cumulative, general tells lawmakers
- It wasn't any one recent mistake that cost the US the war in Afghanistan, Gen. Mark Milley told lawmakers on Wednesday. "It wasn't lost in the last 20 days or even 20 months," the chairman of the Joint Chiefs said. "There's a cumulative effect...
Biden on Afghanistan Exit
Sep 28, 2021 5:30 PM CDT
Generals Contradict Biden on Afghanistan Exit
They say they wanted to keep force of 2.5K in the country to prevent collapse
- In an ABC interview last month, President Biden defended the chaotic US exit from Afghanistan, denying that advisers had wanted him to keep 2,500 troops in the country. He was contradicted by top military officials during a heated six-hour Senate Armed Services Committee hearing Tuesday, the Hill reports. Gen....
Calls to China
Sep 28, 2021 10:07 AM CDT
Gen. Milley Defends His Calls to China Before Congress
'My job was to de-escalate,' he testifies
- The top US military official appeared before Congress on Tuesday and defended controversial calls he made to his Chinese counterparts near the end of the Trump administration. While critics have accused Milley of overstepping his authority, he said the calls were just part of his job:
Milley Defends China Calls
in First Public Comments
Sep 17, 2021 7:45 AM CDT
Milley Defends China Calls in First Public Comments
Top military leader says they were 'routine,' will go into more detail before Congress
- The nation's top military officer has offered his first public comments on the controversy over his newly revealed calls to China in the waning days of the Trump administration. In an interview with the AP , Gen. Mark Milley says the calls were above board. Coverage:
Trump, GOP Senators Accuse
Gen. Milley of Treason
Sep 15, 2021 3:36 PM CDT
Trump, GOP Senators Accuse Gen. Milley of Treason
Biden says he has 'complete confidence' in Joint Chiefs chairman
- Donald Trump and other Republicans are hopping mad about reports that the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff secretly called his Chinese counterpart because he was worried about Trump's mental state in the last months of his presidency—though the former president believes the report in Bob Woodward'...
Book: Worried About Trump,
General Secretly Called China
Sep 14, 2021 2:16 PM CDT
Book: Worried About Trump, General Secretly Called China
Bob Woodward, Robert Costa say Milley feared Trump was unstable after the election
- The top military officer in the US was seriously worried about the mental state of then-President Trump in the final months of his presidency, according to a new book by Bob Woodward and
reporter Robert Costa. So much so that Gen. Mark A. Milley, chairman of the Joint...
Jul 15, 2021 2:51 PM CDT
Trump Calls Coup Report 'So Ridiculous'
Denial includes criticism of Joint Chiefs chairman he appointed
- Former President Trump said Thursday that despite a new book reporting that the chairman of the Joint Chiefs feared a coup led from the Oval Office, Gen. Mark Milley had nothing to worry about. "I never threatened, or spoke about, to anyone, a coup of our Government," Trump...
Chairman of the
Jul 15, 2021 9:03 AM CDT
Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Feared a Trump Coup
Gen. Mark Milley thought Trump was adopting 'gospel of the Führer': book
- America's top general was so worried President Trump would refuse to give up the presidency that he asked confidants if a coup was imminent. So Pulitzer Prize winners Carol Leonnig and Philip Rucker of the
I Alone Can Fix It: Donald J. Trump's Catastrophic
Order Invoking Insurrection Act
Was Prepared for Trump
Jun 26, 2021 4:00 PM CDT
Order Invoking Insurrection Act Was Prepared for Trump
Former president denies wanting to use active-duty troops against protesters
- As protesters near the White House demonstrated against the killing of George Floyd last summer, aides were preparing a proclamation allowing President Trump to put active-duty US troops on the streets of the capital. The document was drafted after an angry Trump told the attorney general and military leaders he...
Pelosi Calls Pentagon,
Worried About Nuclear Codes
Jan 8, 2021 2:10 PM CST
Pelosi Calls Pentagon, Worried About Nuclear Codes
Joint chiefs chairman discusses steps involved should president try to order a military strike
- The Pentagon has assured House Speaker Nancy Pelosi that there are barriers to President Trump ordering a nuclear strike before he leaves office, reports
. Pelosi told House Democrats in a letter Friday that she'd spoken to "Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Mark Milley to...
US Commander Names
America's 'Biggest Enemy'
Dec 10, 2020 12:10 AM CST
US Commander Names America's 'Biggest Enemy'
Gen. Mark Milley warns that a 'great-power war' would be a 'disaster'
- America's military priority in the coming years? China, China, and China—or so says the top US military commander. Speaking at a
Wall Street Journal
summit Tuesday, Army Gen. Mark Milley said China is aiming to equal America's military might by 2035 and be ready to win a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
Cops Chasing Stolen Forklift Find Surprise Driver
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.