Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Patton Oswalt's Message
on Dave Chappelle Backfires
Jan 3, 2022 10:25 AM CST
Patton Oswalt's Message on Dave Chappelle Backfires
Comedian insists he's an 'LGBTQ ally' after post about his longtime friendship with Chappelle
- The comedy business can be a somewhat insular one, where everybody knows everybody and ties stretch back decades. So it's not surprising that comedian Patton Oswalt has known Dave Chappelle for more than three decades, and his New Year's Eve post on that topic is now drawing heat....
She Broke a Bunch
of Swim Records,
Dec 17, 2021 1:00 PM CST
She Broke a Bunch of Swim Records, Now Faces Transphobia
Controversy swirls over U of Penn's Lia Thomas, who moved to women's team after transitioning
- The debate on trans athletes participating in college sports has just been kicked up a notch after a University of Pennsylvania swimmer broke three school records and two national ones over the past month. LGBTQ advocates say the ensuing controversy has veered into transphobic waters. NBC News reports on the...
Conversion Therapy Bill in
Canada Gets a Unanimous Vote
Dec 9, 2021 9:40 AM CST
Conversion Therapy Bill in Canada Gets a Unanimous Vote
Controversial practice that tries to change a person's sexual orientation, identity is now banned
- Conversion therapy is officially outlawed in Canada. A bill making it a criminal offense to provide, promote, advertise, or profit from conversion therapy—used in an effort to change a person's sexual orientation or identity—unanimously passed the Senate "with little debate and no committee study" on Tuesday,...
in a Big First
Oct 27, 2021 12:31 PM CDT
'X' Marks US Passport in a Big First
United States has issued one with 'X' gender designation instead of 'male' or 'female'
- The US has issued its first passport with an "X" gender designation—a milestone in the recognition of the rights of people who don't identify as male or female—and expects to be able to offer the option more broadly next year, the State Department said Wednesday. The...
Putin Likens Trans Views
to 'Crimes Against Humanity'
Oct 22, 2021 1:46 PM CDT
Putin Likens Trans Views to 'Crimes Against Humanity'
Russian president rails against concept of gender fluidity, Western culture
- Russian President Vladimir Putin on Thursday said the teaching of gender fluidity "verges on crimes against humanity." Putin spoke on a number of issues at an annual meeting of the Valdai Discussion Club in Sochi, Russia, including cancel culture, reverse racism, and other "sociocultural disturbances" in the...
Netflix Co-CEO on Chappelle
Controversy: 'I Screwed Up'
Oct 20, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
Netflix Co-CEO on Chappelle Controversy: 'I Screwed Up'
Ted Sarandos says his defense of comedy special lacked humanity
- A trans Netflix employee who was among the first to speak out about the $24.1 million Dave Chappelle comedy special
directs her criticism toward Netflix's defense of the show in an essay published Monday. "When a company like Netflix says something like, 'We do...
Schools Put On
Oct 16, 2021 3:25 PM CDT
Schools Put On Drag Show at Halftime
Crowd cheers students and faculty parading in support of LGBTQ people
- A Vermont high school homecoming football game turned into a "drag ball" runway at halftime, with a mix of students and faculty members parading in gowns, wigs, and makeup—and a big crowd in rainbow colors to cheer them on. "Things went amazing," Ezra Totten, student leader...
With Ex-Actor Over
a Dressing Room
Oct 14, 2021 6:50 AM CDT
New Duel: With Ex-Actor Over a Dressing Room
Transgender actor: show wouldn't renew contract over request for gender-neutral dressing room
- A former
cast member has filed a discrimination complaint against the show, and their lawyer says it's one that should serve as "a wake-up call for the theater industry." Suni Reid, a Black transgender nonbinary actor who'd appeared with the New York, Chicago, and Los...
1K Netflix Workers Plan
Walkout Over Chappelle Special
Oct 14, 2021 6:39 AM CDT
1K Netflix Workers Plan Walkout Over Chappelle Special
Virtual walkout to protest company's support of the special deemed harmful to trans people
- An employee group at Netflix is planning a walkout over the company's continued support of a Dave Chappelle stand-up special that some say is offensive to transgender people. The transgender-employee group and allies are planning a virtual walkout for Wednesday in protest of the company's defense of
Oct 7, 2021 11:55 AM CDT
Chappelle in 'Familiar Hot Water' Over Netflix Special
Comedian on blast for comments made about transgender women
- Dave Chappelle isn't one to shy away from controversial takes , and he's back in what CNN calls "familiar hot water." This time, the backlash has emerged after comments the 48-year-old comedian made on gender and transgender women in his new Netflix special,
, which debuted...
Thailand Urged Not to Deport
Transgender Beauty Tycoon
Sep 28, 2021 7:12 PM CDT
Thailand Urged Not to Deport Transgender Beauty Tycoon
Nur Sajat is wanted in Malaysia for 'insulting Islam'
- Authorities in Malaysia say they don't want to "punish" transgender businesswoman Nur Sajat, only to "educate" her. Advocates say the 36-year-old is likely to face serious mistreatment if Thailand deports her back to her homeland. Sajat, a cosmetics entrepreneur who starred in a reality show in 2018,...
It's the First
Big Movie With
Sep 24, 2021 1:19 AM CDT
It's the First Big Movie With All-Gay Cast
Billy Eichner's 'Bros' will make Hollywood history
starring Billy Eichner is released in August of next year, it will be a milestone event in multiple ways:
First No. 1:
The film from Universal Pictures will be the first romantic comedy about two gay men put out by a major studio, notes Deadline .
First No. 2:
She Used to Be
an 'Angry' Golfer.
Now, a Try
Aug 20, 2021 7:23 AM CDT
She Used to Be an 'Angry' Golfer. Now, a Try at History
Hailey Davidson, who wants to be first trans athlete on LPGA tour, is at qualifying event this weekend in Calif.
- Three years after undergoing gender confirmation surgery in 2010, Bobbi Lancaster did what no transgender athlete had done before: At the age of 63, the family physician tried to qualify for the Ladies Professional Golf Association tour. She didn't make it, but she earned international media attention and went...
DC Comics Character
Comes Out as Bisexual
Aug 10, 2021 1:58 PM CDT
DC Comics Character Comes Out as Bisexual
Fans welcome Robin to the LGBTQ community
- A comic book superhero rescued someone, then the two decide to go on a date. It's a not a big moment—unless it enters into the canon a big update to one of the characters. Batman’s affable sidekick, Robin, appears to have come out as bisexual,
Aug 2, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Trans Weightlifter Makes History at Games
Laurel Hubbard's participation has been controversial
- A New Zealand weightlifter named Laurel Hubbard will not leave the Tokyo Olympics with a medal. However, her very participation has earned Hubbard the unwanted distinction of being one of its most controversial athletes. Why? She's a transgender woman. Coverage:
In Monday's competition, the 43-year-old Hubbard failed to
Him on Gay Slur
Aug 2, 2021 8:15 AM CDT
Matt Damon's Daughter Schooled Him on Gay Slur 'Months Ago'
50-year-old Harvard alum just recently realized he shouldn't use the word after an ill-received 'joke'
- Matt Damon is making the promotional rounds for his new film,
, but an anecdote he relayed in a recent interview is making its own headlines. Talking with the
, the 50-year-old Harvard alum touched on the state of the movie industry before moving onto the topics of the...
Berlin March Answers
Anti-LGBTQ Steps Elsewhere
Jul 24, 2021 3:20 PM CDT
Berlin March Answers Anti-LGBTQ Steps Elsewhere
Tens of thousands rally as parade returns to city
- Around 65,000 revelers marched for LGBTQ rights at Berlin's annual Christopher Street Day celebration on Saturday, more than three times as many as expected. It was the biggest demonstration in Berlin since the start of the coronavirus pandemic, the AP reports. The parade started with a call from...
I'll 'Go to War'
Jul 15, 2021 7:26 AM CDT
Lindsey Graham: I'll 'Go to War' for Chick-fil-A
SC senator says he'll back chain after Notre Dame students protest possible eatery on campus
- In May, the University of Notre Dame's dining service noted in a social media post that it may be considering adding Chick-fil-A to its on-campus options—and the hubbub that has emerged at the Indiana school since now involves a senator from South Carolina. The Hill reports that Lindsey...
Meet the First
Jun 30, 2021 1:00 PM CDT
Meet the First Transgender Miss USA Contestant
Kataluna Enriquez was just crowned Miss Nevada in another first
- For the first time in the history of the Miss Nevada pageant, an openly transgender woman has nabbed the crown. Kataluna Enriquez bested 21 other women to become the first openly transgender Miss Nevada at a ceremony at the South Point Hotel Casino in Las Vegas on Sunday, per
Supreme Court Move
Is a Win for Trans Student
Jun 28, 2021 10:54 AM CDT
Supreme Court Move Is a Win for Trans Student
Justices decide not to wade in on issue of school bathrooms in case of Gavin Grimm
- The Supreme Court said Monday that it wouldn't weigh in on the thorny question of transgender students and school bathrooms. That inaction amounts to a victory for transgender student Gavin Grimm , whose high school in Virginia wouldn't allow him to use the boys bathroom, reports
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Clarence Thomas' Wife the Focus of Critical New Profile
Adventurer's 2nd Attempt to Cross Atlantic Ends in Death
Food Poisoning Can Cost You Far More Than You Think
Hate Mail Flooded In After Golfer's Greatest Moment
Deception or an Oversight? 2 Fans Sue Over Movie Trailer
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.