Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
After 6-Week Break,
COVID Briefings Are Back
May 19, 2022 4:57 AM CDT
After 6-Week Break, COVID Briefings Are Back
Cases, hospitalizations are rising sharply
- The coronavirus pandemic is far from over, officials warned at the White House's first COVID-19 briefing after a six-week hiatus. Dr. Ashish Jha, the White House's new COVID-19 coordinator, urged Congress to approve more funding for vaccines and treatments, the
reports. "Without additional funding from Congress,...
Shows After Test
May 18, 2022 6:55 PM CDT
Clapton Cancels Shows After Test
Star contracts COVID after blaming ailments on vaccine
- Eric Clapton has postponed a couple of concerts planned for Zurich and Milan this week after contracting COVID-19. A Facebook post said the 77-year-old rock star tested positive after a performance at the Royal Albert Hall in London. Clapton has had AstraZeneca shots,
reports, though he's criticized the...
NK Shuns Outside Help
as COVID Cases Skyrocket
May 18, 2022 8:07 AM CDT
NK Shuns Outside Help as COVID Cases Skyrocket
Kim criticized officials for 'non-positive attitudes' and 'slackness'
- North Korea on Wednesday added hundreds of thousands of infections to its growing pandemic caseload but also said a million people have already recovered from suspected COVID-19 just a week after disclosing an outbreak, which it appears to be trying to manage in isolation as global experts express deep concern...
Zero Cars Were Sold
in Shanghai Last Month
May 17, 2022 3:21 PM CDT
Zero Cars Were Sold in Shanghai Last Month
Lockdown hit city's economy hard
- Shanghai is finally beginning to emerge from a long, harsh lockdown that was initially supposed to last only a few days—but the economic damage will take time to recover from. In what Bloomberg sees as evidence of how strict the lockdown was, not a single car was sold in...
You Can Get 8 More
Free COVID Tests
May 17, 2022 12:52 PM CDT
You Can Get 8 More Free COVID Tests
Government announces kits are again available
- The Biden administration on Tuesday announced a third round of free at-home COVID tests. This time, US households can get eight test kits, as opposed to four in prior rounds, per CNN . Tests can be ordered at covid.gov/tests . The White House says the government has delivered about 350 million...
Teen's 'Lifesaving' Transplant
Hinges on Parents' Vax Stance
May 17, 2022 9:10 AM CDT
Teen's 'Lifesaving' Transplant Hinges on Parents' Vax Stance
They argue hospital vaccination requirement violates their religious beliefs
- Parents of a Michigan teen are asking a judge to overturn a hospital's requirement that their daughter be vaccinated against COVID-19 before receiving a "lifesaving" kidney transplant. The 17-year-old girl known by her initials "AC," has only one kidney, stage-three chronic kidney disease, and end-stage renal...
US COVID Death Toll
Officially Hits 1M
May 16, 2022 5:01 PM CDT
US COVID Death Toll Officially Hits 1M
Toll equals Civil War, WWII deaths combined
- The US death toll from COVID-19 hit 1 million on Monday, a once-unimaginable figure that only hints at the multitudes of loved ones and friends staggered by grief and frustration. The confirmed number of dead is equivalent to a 9/11 attack every day for 336 days, the AP reports. It...
He Got the Whole Town's COVID
Payments. Then He Vanished
May 16, 2022 9:20 AM CDT
He Got the Whole Town's COVID Payments. Then He Vanished
Man in Japanese town of Abu took off with nearly $360K mistakenly transferred to him
- Last month, more than 450 households in a Japanese town in the Yamaguchi prefecture eagerly awaited COVID relief payments of about $770 each, designed to help families struggling due to the pandemic. One villager received all the payments in his account, however, and he's now disappeared, as has the...
North Korea's Sudden
COVID Spike Is Looking Grim
May 16, 2022 7:11 AM CDT
North Korea's Sudden COVID Spike Is Looking Grim
'Fever' has spread across the country 'explosively' since late April
- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un criticized officials over slow medicine deliveries and mobilized the military to respond to a surge in suspected COVID-19 infections, as his nation struggled to contain a fever that has reportedly killed dozens and sickened nearly a million others in a span of three days....
US Must Act on New Vaccines
Quickly, COVID Chief Warns
May 12, 2022 7:45 PM CDT
US Must Act on New Vaccines Quickly, COVID Chief Warns
Funding has dried up, preventing the government from ordering more
- The White House COVID-19 response coordinator issued a dire warning Thursday that the US will be increasingly vulnerable to the coronavirus this fall and winter if Congress doesn't swiftly approve new funding for more vaccines and treatments. Dr. Ashish Jha told the AP that Americans' immune protection from the...
US Flags Are at Half-Staff
to Mark a 'Tragic Milestone'
May 12, 2022 1:07 PM CDT
US Flags Are at Half-Staff to Mark a 'Tragic Milestone'
US is close to recording a million COVID deaths
- With the US on the cusp of recording a million COVID-19 deaths, President Biden has ordered flags to be flown at half-staff at government buildings from Thursday until sunset Monday. Each death is an "irreplaceable loss," the president said in a statement . "As a Nation, we must...
May 10, 2022 7:54 PM CDT
Bill Gates Has COVID
Microsoft co-founder is experiencing mild symptoms
- Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates said Tuesday he has tested positive for COVID-19 and is experiencing mild symptoms, the AP reports. Via Twitter, the billionaire philanthropist said he will isolate until he is again healthy. “I’m fortunate to be vaccinated and boosted and have access to testing and great...
May 7, 2022 4:00 PM CDT
Administration: 100M New Cases Are Possible
Warning of big wave this fall and winter is designed to increase preparation and funding
- With a combination of factors making a major wave of coronavirus infections look more likely later this year, the Biden administration has raised the alarm by suggesting a distressing scenario: 100 million new cases over fall and winter. Deaths and hospitalizations would post sharp increases, the
Blinken Tests Positive
May 4, 2022 7:25 PM CDT
Blinken Tests Positive
Secretary of State attended the correspondents' dinner over the weekend
- Secretary of State Antony Blinken tested positive for COVID-19 on Wednesday and said he is dealing with mild symptoms. Blinken and his wife, Evan Ryan, attended the White House Correspondents' Association dinner on Saturday night in Washington, CNBC reports. So did President Biden. The White House said the president's...
Outrage in China
After Live Patient
Found in Body Bag
May 3, 2022 3:09 PM CDT
Outrage in China After Live Patient Found in Body Bag
Shanghai incident called a sign of 'chaos' under zero COVID strategy
- An elderly COVID patient in Shanghai is lucky someone decided to double check the body bag before sending it to the morgue. Videos of the incident, which occurred Sunday, show mortuary workers putting a body bag into a vehicle and then pulling it back out, opening it, and realizing that...
Harris Tests Negative,
Will Mask Up at White House
May 2, 2022 6:45 PM CDT
Harris Tests Negative, Will Mask Up at White House
Vice president didn't develop any COVID-19 symptoms, aides say
: Vice President Kamala Harris will return to work in the White House on Tuesday, an aide said, after testing negative for the coronavirus. Harris had been working at home, in isolation at her residence, after positive test results last Tuesday. For her first five days back at the White...
COVID Revisits Late-Night TV
May 2, 2022 6:02 PM CDT
COVID Revisits Late-Night TV
Jimmy Kimmel says he's tested positive and picks a guest host
- No sooner does one late-night TV host return from a bout with COVID-19 than another has to take his leave. Jimmy Kimmel announced Monday that he's got the coronavirus, Deadline reports. "Our daughter brought us covid (even though we specifically asked her not to)," he tweeted , adding...
COVID Restrictions Ease
in Time for Tourist Season
May 1, 2022 11:32 AM CDT
COVID Restrictions Ease in Time for Tourist Season
Greece relaxes flight rules, as Italy drops health pass
- Italy and Greece relaxed certain COVID-19 restrictions on Sunday, in a sign that life was increasingly returning to normal before Europe's peak summer tourist season. Greece's civil aviation authority announced that it was lifting all COVID-19 rules for international and domestic flights, except for the wearing of face...
US Aid to Ukraine is 'Almost
Exhausted.' Now, a New Plan
Apr 28, 2022 11:48 AM CDT
US Aid to Ukraine is 'Almost Exhausted.' Now, a New Plan
Biden proposes $33B assistance package to last an estimated 5 months
- President Biden will ask Congress for an additional $33 billion to help Ukraine fend off the Russian invasion, two administration officials said Thursday, per the AP . Biden's latest proposal—which the officials said was expected to last for five months—has more than $20 billion in military assistance for...
Big Move From Moderna on
Shots for Youngest Kids
Apr 28, 2022 8:01 AM CDT
Big Move From Moderna on Shots for Youngest Kids
Pharma company submits data to FDA, asks regulators to OK COVID shots for under-6 set
- Moderna on Thursday asked US regulators to authorize low doses of its COVID-19 vaccine for children younger than 6, a long-awaited move toward potentially opening shots for millions of tots by summer. Frustrated families are waiting impatiently for a chance to protect the nation's littlest kids as all around...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
How Parade Shooting Suspect Managed to Buy 5 Guns
Scathing Obit: 'It Will Be Challenging to Miss Lawrence'
Suspected 'Mass Fentanyl Poisoning Event' Kills 9 in Florida
Boys 'Shouldn't Have Been Able to Physically Do What They Did'
Amazon Prime Rolls Out a Big 'Thank You' to Customers
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.