Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Oct 17, 2023 11:33 AM CDT
Audience Lauds Spacey's 'Cancel Culture' Lecture
Actor gets standing ovation during Oxford speech that included short Shakespeare performance
- While one UK theater recently snubbed Kevin Spacey, canceling the world premiere of his latest film, another audience across the pond just gave the actor a standing ovation. Spacey, acquitted this summer by a London jury of sexual assault, delivered a lecture on Monday at the University of Oxford, in...
Kid Rock's Latest
Causes a Stir
Aug 21, 2023 10:34 AM CDT
Kid Rock's Latest Beverage Choice Causes a Stir
Singer spotted sipping Bud Light months after he shot up cases of it in Dylan Mulvaney protest
- Back in April, Kid Rock posted a rather to-the-point video of himself shooting up cases of Bud Light—declaring in no uncertain terms, "F--- Bud Light and f--- Anheuser-Busch"—amid the Dylan Mulvaney transgender brouhaha . Here in August, the singer/rapper was spotted swilling a Bud Light at a...
Jul 26, 2023 6:34 AM CDT
6 Seconds Have Vanished From Aldean Music Video
Footage from BLM protests has been scrubbed from 'Try That in a Small Town' amid backlash
- Jason Aldean may still be defiantly performing his controversial song, "Try That in a Small Town," but the music video for the song is now six seconds shorter. That's because the footage has been "quietly edited" since its initial upload on July 14 to remove references...
Canceled Teen's Story Reveals
Major Holes in Social Fabric
Jun 21, 2022 5:40 PM CDT
Canceled Teen's Story Reveals Major Holes in Social Fabric
It's a truly tough time to be a teen, and schools can't seem to help
- Whatever one thinks of the term "cancel culture" and how it may be used by various politicians and pundits, one thing is certain: it’s very real for many teenagers, and both the causes and effects seem both baffling and inevitable. Elizabeth Weil explores the topic for the Cut...
Putin Drags JK Rowling
Into Latest 'Bizarre Rant'
Mar 25, 2022 12:12 PM CDT
Putin Drags JK Rowling Into Latest 'Bizarre Rant'
Leader says both Russia, 'Harry Potter' author have been 'canceled'—Rowling for her trans views
- It's not terribly surprising that Vladimir Putin might try to control the narrative on his country's invasion of Ukraine by painting Russia as some kind of victim. And he did just that during a Friday address on state TV, touching on the concept of "cancel culture" and...
'I Said Counsel Kanye,
Not Cancel Kanye'
Mar 21, 2022 12:33 PM CDT
'I Said Counsel Kanye, Not Cancel Kanye'
Trevor Noah responds after Ye's banishment from the Grammys
- Trevor Noah's latest comment about Ye, aka Kanye West, is succinct and maybe one that could be applied to lots of public feuds in the modern age: "I said counsel Kanye not cancel Kanye," the
host tweeted on Sunday. The line comes after news emerged...
Editorial Board Sees
a 'Cancel Culture' Problem
Mar 18, 2022 1:05 PM CDT
Editorial Board Sees a 'Cancel Culture' Problem
Blames the left and right on free-speech matters, while critics pile on the editorial itself
- The editorial board of the
New York Times
generated a lot of conversation on Friday with a lengthy piece under the headline "America Has a Free Speech Problem." The editorial criticizes both the left and the right for being in "a destructive loop of condemnation and recrimination...
Putin Likens Trans Views
to 'Crimes Against Humanity'
Oct 22, 2021 1:46 PM CDT
Putin Likens Trans Views to 'Crimes Against Humanity'
Russian president rails against concept of gender fluidity, Western culture
- Russian President Vladimir Putin on Thursday said the teaching of gender fluidity "verges on crimes against humanity." Putin spoke on a number of issues at an annual meeting of the Valdai Discussion Club in Sochi, Russia, including cancel culture, reverse racism, and other "sociocultural disturbances" in the...
Depp: 'No One Is Safe'
From 'Cancel Culture'
Sep 23, 2021 7:20 AM CDT
Depp: 'No One Is Safe' From 'Cancel Culture'
He spoke before receiving top award at Spanish film festival
- Johnny Depp, whose movie career has suffered since he lost a libel case against a British tabloid that called him a "wife beater," portrayed himself as a victim of "cancel culture" at a film festival in Spain on Wednesday. He slammed the "instant rush to judgment"...
GOP Governor Nixes
'Relic of the Confederacy'
May 20, 2021 7:57 AM CDT
GOP Governor Nixes 'Relic of the Confederacy'
Larry Hogan approves repeal of Maryland's Civil War-era state song, which refers to 'Northern scum'
- Since 1939, "Maryland, My Maryland" has served as Maryland's state song, but its 82-year-old reign has just come to an end. On Tuesday, Gov. Larry Hogan OKed a repeal of the Civil War-era tune after a longtime bipartisan effort to nix it over its controversial lyrics—including referring...
Pepe Le Pew Is
Mar 9, 2021 12:50 AM CST
Pepe Le Pew Is Apparently Canceled
Skunk cut from 'Space Jam' sequel, has no planned upcoming appearances
- Don't plan on seeing Pepe Le Pew again, unless you're watching old
media. The amorous, French-accented cartoon skunk won't be in
Space Jam: A New Legacy
, the sequel to 1996's
that will be released July 16. (Another change in the sequel, per...
TCM Is 'Reframing' These
18 'Troubling' Classic Films
Mar 5, 2021 8:33 AM CST
TCM Is 'Reframing' These 18 'Troubling' Classic Films
Network to reexamine films like 'Psycho,' 'Gunga Din' with new historical, cultural context
- As cries of "cancel culture" swirl around changes within the Dr. Seuss and Potato Head spheres, Turner Classic Movies is now reexamining a portfolio of timeless films that it says contain "troubling and problematic" aspects. The
Los Angeles Times
reports that throughout March, the network will screen 18...
After Dr. Seuss Books Are
Pulled, Demand Spikes
Mar 4, 2021 11:42 AM CST
After Dr. Seuss Books Are Pulled, Demand Spikes
Other Seuss titles are topping bestseller lists, while 6 yanked ones are hot on eBay
- A decision by the company that controls the Dr. Seuss name to no longer publish or sell six books in its portfolio doesn't seem to have hurt the brand.
reports that, as of Thursday morning, Dr. Seuss books are selling like hotcakes online: On Amazon's bestseller...
Jan 26, 2021 8:11 AM CST
Murdoch Puts Cancel Culture on Blast
News Corp chairman rails against censorship in rare public remarks
- Freedom of speech is being suppressed by "awful woke orthodoxy," according to the head of the conservative publishing empire that includes Fox News. News Corp Executive Chairman Rupert Murdoch spoke against "cancel culture" and a "wave of censorship" in rare public remarks Saturday as he accepted...
White Professor on Leave
After Using Chinese Word
Sep 6, 2020 3:10 PM CDT
White Professor on Leave After Using Chinese Word
Greg Patton is no longer teaching his USC course
- A California professor has been replaced for uttering a Chinese word that sounds—in English—like a racist slur, the
reports. Greg Patton was teaching an online communications course for University of Southern California students when he discussed the importance of pausing and using "er" and "...
Placido Domingo: 'I Never
Promised a Part to a Singer'
Aug 23, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Placido Domingo: 'I Never Promised a Part to a Singer'
The disgraced opera giant says he hopes to clear his name
- Opera legend Plácido Domingo denied ever abusing his power during his management tenure at two US opera houses in an interview with the AP on Sunday, as he embarks on a full-throttle campaign to clear his name after two investigations found credible accusations he had engaged in "inappropriate...
NBA to Photog
Aug 16, 2020 4:40 PM CDT
NBA to Photog Who Posted Harris Meme: You're Fired
Bill Baptist apologized, but it was too late
- An NBA photographer is out of a job after sharing a sexist meme that apparently mocked Joe Biden and Kamala Harris, CNN reports. The photog, Bill Baptist, posted a faux logo for the Democratic ticket that read, "Joe and the Hoe." Former WNBA Hall of Famer Sheryl Swoopes...
One After Anti-
Jul 16, 2020 7:30 AM CDT
Cannon Offers Apology, Demands One After Anti- Semitic Words
TV host on his podcast remarks: 'reinforced the worst stereotypes of a proud and magnificent people'
- When ViacomCBS nixed its relationship with Nick Cannon this week over anti-Semitic remarks he made in a recently aired podcast, the company noted its disappointment that Cannon hadn't apologized for those comments. That now appears to have changed, with the 39-year-old TV host and comedian offering his mea culpa...
New Battle Over
Jul 11, 2020 3:30 PM CDT
New Battle Over 'Cancel Culture' Is Getting Vicious
Dozens of writers, thinkers fire back at open letter in Harper's Magazine
- Over 160 academics and journalists issued an open letter Friday in an ongoing battle over so-called "cancel culture," the Wrap reports. The letter rebuked an earlier letter —published in
and signed by luminaries including Fareed Zakaria, JK Rowling, and Gloria Steinhem—that decried "the...
Popular on Newser
UN Has Harsh Words for Iran Over Child's Execution
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
Matthew Perry's Famous Stepdad Breaks His Silence
Cause of Death Released for Former Child Star
Woman Dies After Falling Into Home's Hidden Well Shaft
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.