Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
COVID booster shots
Stories 1 - 20 |
FDA Clears Bivalent COVID
Boosters for Kids 5 and Up
Oct 12, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
FDA Clears Bivalent COVID Boosters for Kids 5 and Up
The CDC now has to sign off
- The US on Wednesday authorized updated COVID-19 boosters for children as young as 5, seeking to expand protection ahead of an expected winter wave. Tweaked boosters rolled out for Americans 12 and older last month, doses modified to target today's most common and contagious omicron relative. While there wasn'...
Coming Soon to Americans'
Arms: a New Bivalent Booster
Aug 31, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Coming Soon to Americans' Arms: a New Bivalent Booster
This one also targets omicron versions BA.4 and BA.5
- The US on Wednesday authorized its first update to COVID-19 vaccines, booster doses that target today's most common omicron strain. Shots could begin within days. The move by the FDA tweaks the recipe of shots made by Pfizer and rival Moderna. Until now, COVID-19 vaccines have targeted the original...
Wait for the Next Booster,
Officials Tell Adults Under 50
Jul 29, 2022 5:30 PM CDT
Wait for the Next Booster, Officials Tell Adults Under 50
Moderna, Pfizer assure government updated omicron version will be ready for fall
- Federal health officials have decided against approving a second booster shot of the coronavirus vaccine this summer for adults under 50, because a retooled version is so close to being ready. Pfizer and Moderna have assured the government their new boosters will be rolled out no later than September, the...
Pfizer Wants FDA to OK
Boosters for 5- to 11-Year-Olds
Apr 14, 2022 8:40 AM CDT
Pfizer Wants FDA to OK Boosters for 5- to 11-Year-Olds
3rd dose among this set appears to offer significant antibody boost, even against omicron
- Pfizer said Thursday it wants to expand its COVID-19 booster shots to healthy elementary-age kids. US health authorities already urge everyone 12 and older to get one booster dose for the best protection against the newest variants—and recently gave the option of a second booster to those 50 and...
FDA Authorizes Second
Booster for Ages 50 and Older
Mar 29, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
FDA Authorizes Second Booster for Ages 50 and Older
CDC will weigh in next on the extra COVID shots
The FDA on Tuesday authorized a second booster shot for people ages 50 and older, reports the
. The Pfizer or Moderna shots won't be made available until the CDC weighs in, and the agency is expected to quickly back the extra booster for those whose first...
Moderna to FDA:
Authorize 4th Dose
for All Adults
Mar 18, 2022 12:21 AM CDT
Moderna to FDA: Authorize 4th Dose for All Adults
Drugmaker's reasoning: provide flexibility for providers to determine who needs one
- Drugmaker Moderna asked the FDA on Thursday to authorize a fourth shot of its COVID-19 vaccine as a booster dose for all adults, the AP reports. The request is broader than rival pharmaceutical company Pfizer's request earlier this week for the regulator to approve a booster shot for all...
Says 4th Dose
Mar 16, 2022 12:44 AM CDT
Pfizer CEO Says 4th Dose 'Is Necessary'
But he's hoping company will soon have a shot that works against all variants
Pfizer, along with its partner BioNTech, on Tuesday asked US regulators to authorize an additional COVID vaccine booster for seniors. The pharmaceutical company says data from Israel as well as an ongoing study of healthcare workers suggest those 65 and older would benefit from a fourth dose, the AP...
Studies Find No Rush
for Next Booster Shot
Feb 21, 2022 6:55 PM CST
Studies Find No Rush for Next Booster Shot
Antibodies produced after third dose appear to do well against variants
- It's reasonable to assume health officials will soon recommend a second booster shot of the coronavirus vaccine to maintain protection against COVID-19. Israel has made fourth shots available, per CNN . The UK plans to do so this spring for people over 75. In the US, the FDA said that...
FDA Slows Down Push
for Shots to Young Kids
Feb 11, 2022 2:32 PM CST
FDA Slows Down Push for Shots to Young Kids
Also, effectiveness of boosters appears to wane after 4 months
- Friday saw two notable developments on the vaccine front:
The FDA is putting the brakes on its rush to approve Pfizer shots for children 5 and younger, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. At this point, it looks like April at the earliest. On Friday, the agency reversed course
US COVID Death Toll
Feb 5, 2022 2:20 PM CST
US COVID Death Toll Approaches 1M
900,000 people have died, officials say
- The US death toll from the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic is inching closer to 1 million as the Omicron variant rages throughout the world, the AP reports. More than 10% of the 900,000 Americans lost to the virus died after Dec. 12, per Reuters . “If you had told most...
Trials Are Now Underway
Jan 27, 2022 6:22 AM CST
Omicron-Specific Booster Trials Are Now Underway
Moderna cites 'long-term threat demonstrated by omicron's immune escape'
- The first participant has received a shot in Moderna's Phase 2 clinical trial of an omicron-specific vaccine booster. Moderna, which made the announcement Wednesday, expects to enroll 600 adults in the US study, including some who have already received a booster shot, per Reuters . "We are reassured by...
Jan 21, 2022 2:21 PM CST
New Data: Boosters Work Against Omicron
CDC releases real-world studies filling in the gaps on vaccine effectiveness
- Full vaccination provides the best—and safest—protection from the delta and omicron coronavirus variants, new studies released Friday by the CDC confirm. It's the first comprehensive examination of the vaccines' effectiveness in preventing hospitalization for omicron infections, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. Booster shots were shown to make...
'Lot of Infections'
From Omicron After
4th Dose: Trial
Jan 18, 2022 7:27 AM CST
'Lot of Infections' From Omicron After 4th Dose: Trial
In preliminary study from Israel, the first of its kind, antibodies rise after 2nd booster, infections persist
- Preliminary results are in on a clinical trial testing the efficacy of a fourth COVID shot, the world's first, and when it comes to omicron, that booster isn't doing the job researchers had hoped for. The
Times of Israel
reports that, in a study that began last month...
to All Over 12
Jan 5, 2022 7:50 PM CST
CDC Change: Give Boosters to All Over 12
New policy provides for a clearer message to parents
- With coronavirus infections skyrocketing and schools at risk of shutting down, a panel of advisers on Wednesday urged the CDC to fight back by recommending 10 million young people receive the protection of a vaccine booster shot. CDC Director Rochelle Walensky agreed, the
reports. The change will allow...
FDA: Fine to Get Booster
After Just 5 Months
Jan 3, 2022 9:35 AM CST
FDA: Fine to Get Booster After Just 5 Months
It also now recommends boosters for kids 12 to 15
- The US is expanding COVID-19 boosters as it confronts the omicron surge, with the FDA allowing extra Pfizer shots for children as young as 12. Boosters already are recommended for everyone 16 and older, and federal regulators on Monday decided they're also warranted for 12- to 15-year-olds once enough...
In England, Vaccinations
Don't Pause for Christmas
Dec 25, 2021 4:30 PM CST
In England, Vaccinations Don't Pause for Christmas
Thousands receive 'jingle jabs' on holiday
- Thousands of people across England took a few minutes of Christmas Day to line up under leaden winter skies and be vaccinated against COVID-19 as the omicron variant fuels a surge in infections across the country. The Good Health Pharmacy in north London is one of dozens of vaccination sites...
Health Care Workers Must
Get Booster Shots in This State
Dec 22, 2021 12:49 AM CST
Health Care Workers Must Get Booster Shots in This State
California Gov. Gavin Newsom makes the announcement on Twitter
- California health care workers will be required to have coronavirus booster shots to ensure that hospitals are ready to deal with a surge in cases as the more-transmissible omicron variant spreads throughout the state, the AP reports. Gov. Gavin Newsom announced the order Tuesday on his personal Twitter account and...
Trump: I Got My Booster
Dec 20, 2021 12:21 PM CST
Trump: I Got My Booster
Remark is met with some booing at event with Bill O'Reilly
- Only about one-third of the US population has received a COVID booster shot, notes the
, but one of the recipients has a particularly high profile. Donald Trump said Sunday that he received his third shot, reports
. The reveal came during a public forum with former Fox anchor...
Dec 20, 2021 8:33 AM CST
Good News on Moderna Booster
Early lab results suggests third shot provides significant protection against omicron
- Lab results from Moderna add to health officials' chorus on omicron: Get a booster. The company said Monday that preliminary results suggests a third shot of its vaccine provides significant protection against the new variant. The usual half-dose booster raised antibody levels 37-fold, while a full-dose booster—typically given to...
You'll Soon Need Not
Just a Vaccine but a
Booster to Get In Here
Dec 16, 2021 12:24 AM CST
You'll Soon Need Not Just a Vaccine but a Booster to Get In Here
Employees will be subject to the same requirement at Met Opera
- The Metropolitan Opera is requiring audience and employees to receive COVID-19 booster shots for entry starting Jan. 17, the AP reports. “With the news of the rapid spread of the Omicron COVID-19 variant,” the Met said in an email to the company on Wednesday, “it is clear...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After Serving 8 Years, Infomercial Pitchman Could Be Jailed Again
A Sleeping Giant Awakes, With Plenty of Spectators
Protesters Cheered Iran's World Cup Exit. Then Bullets Rained
On First Day in US, a Surprise Event for William and Kate
Cops Issue 'Clarification' on Murder of Idaho Students
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.