Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Amtrak Train Stuck for More
Than a Day in Virginia Storm
Jan 4, 2022 4:15 PM CST
Amtrak Train Stuck for More Than a Day in Virginia Storm
Downed trees force more than 200 to hunker down
- Stranded drivers on Interstate-95 in Virginia aren't the only travelers having a nightmare experience. An Amtrak train with more than 200 people aboard has been stuck in Virginia's stormy weather for more than a day. The train left New Orleans on Sunday but got stuck north of Lynchburg,...
Prosecutors: Amtrak Engineer
Ran 7-Year Chain Saw Scheme
Dec 14, 2021 4:42 PM CST
Prosecutors: Amtrak Engineer Ran 7-Year Chain Saw Scheme
Agents say Jose Rodriguez obtained the equipment for work purposes, sold it
- A New Jersey man who worked for Amtrak for nearly 15 years now faces up to 20 years in prison for what he admitted doing on the job. Federal officials say Jose Rodriguez of Brick, NJ, obtained equipment under the guise of needing it for projects he was doing as...
Before DEA Agent
Was Killed on Train
Oct 6, 2021 3:20 PM CDT
Drugs Found Before DEA Agent Was Killed on Train
Gunman also was killed in the gunfire, Tucson police say
In advance of the deadly shooting Monday on an Amtrak train in Arizona, DEA agents searched bags associated with one passenger and found 2.39 kilograms of marijuana, 50 packages of marijuana edibles and "other marijuana and cannabis products," per the court documents. CNN reports they allegedly...
Killed in Derailment
Sep 29, 2021 2:00 AM CDT
Couple Celebrating 50th Anniversary Killed in Derailment
Cause of Amtrak derailment Saturday in Montana still not clear
- Two of the victims of Saturday's Amtrak train derailment were a Georgia couple celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary. Don and Marjorie Varnadoe, 74 and 72, spent months dreaming of the cross-country trip, and just Friday, Don "had called the office and said how excited they were" and that...
At Least 3 Dead, 50 Injured
in Amtrak Derailment
Sep 25, 2021 10:20 PM CDT
At Least 3 Dead, 50 Injured in Amtrak Derailment
Accident happened in Montana
- At least three people were killed Saturday afternoon when an Amtrak train that runs between Seattle and Chicago derailed in north-central Montana, an official with the Liberty County Sheriff's Office said. Dispatcher Starr Tyler told the AP that three people died in the derailment. Amtrak said in a statement...
Feds Clear Path
for New Northeast Tunnel
May 29, 2021 9:55 AM CDT
Feds Clear Path for New Northeast Tunnel
It will replace the existing Hudson River tunnel connecting NY and NJ
- A planned $11 billion rail tunnel key to train travel up and down the northeastern US received a boost Friday with long sought federal environmental approval. The decision by the Department of Transportation means the project to build a new Hudson River tunnel connecting New York and New Jersey can...
to DC Is Out
Jan 14, 2021 1:30 AM CST
Joe Biden's Amtrak Ride to DC Is Out
Plans change amid security concerns for inauguration
- President-elect Joe Biden will no longer be taking an Amtrak train to Washington for his inauguration because of security concerns, a person briefed on the decision told the AP on Wednesday. The president-elect’s decision reflects growing worries over potential threats in the Capitol and across the US in the...
Arrival in DC
May Be Unusual
Dec 7, 2020 1:59 AM CST
Report: Biden's Arrival in DC May Be Unusual
Sources say he's considering riding in on Amtrak
- Sources tell Axios that Joe Biden may not be arriving in Washington, DC, for the inauguration in the typical way. The president-elect is considering a method more appropriate for him—coming to town on the same Amtrak train the Delaware native used to take during his days as a senator....
Major Service Cuts
Jun 17, 2020 12:01 AM CDT
Pandemic Causes Major Service Cuts for Amtrak
Daily service to hundreds of stations will be terminated
- With ridership way down amid the coronavirus pandemic, Amtrak announced this week it will be cutting daily service to hundreds of stations starting Oct. 1. It's the stations outside the Northeast that will be affected, the
reports; Amtrak is reducing most of its long-distance trains to thrice-weekly...
Amtrak Withdraws 'Outrageous'
$25K Fee for Wheelchair Users
Jan 21, 2020 12:29 PM CST
Amtrak Withdraws 'Outrageous' $25K Fee for Wheelchair Users
Access Living employees can now ride for $16 each, as normal
- Amtrak has backtracked after telling two wheelchair users they needed to pay $25,000 for a two-hour train ride that normally costs $16 per ticket. NPR first reported on the fee applied to employees of Access Living, a disability service and advocacy center, who hoped to travel from Chicago to...
They Were Driving
to a Camping Trip.
Then the Train Came
Nov 25, 2019 9:25 AM CST
They Were Driving to a Camping Trip. Then the Train Came
Florida woman, 2 young grandsons killed on tracks that had no gates or signals
- A Florida woman and her two grandsons were killed by a passing Amtrak train on Saturday afternoon as she drove the Cub Scouts to an overnight camping trip near West Palm Beach, per the AP . The train carrying some 200 passengers collided with the family’s Subaru Outback at the...
After a Day and a Half Stuck on
Train, Passengers Disembark
Feb 26, 2019 2:54 PM CST
After a Day and a Half Stuck on Train, Passengers Disembark
Amtrak train pulled back to Eugene, Oregon, train station
- The 183 passengers stuck aboard Amtrak Coast Starlight Train 11 were finally able to exit the train Tuesday morning after a tedious 36+ hours. The Seattle-to-Los Angeles train was blocked by downed trees on the tracks in a remote part of Oregon Sunday night; the area had been hit with...
These Amtrak Passengers Are
Having a Really Bad Journey
Feb 26, 2019 6:03 AM CST
These Amtrak Passengers Are Having a Really Bad Journey
Train in remote Oregon hit a tree Sunday, and they may be there until Tuesday
- Nearly 200 people aboard an Amtrak train now have everyone else beat when it comes to tales about travel nightmares. Their train hit a downed tree in remote Oregon on Sunday evening, and all aboard—183 passengers, plus the crew—will likely be stuck there until Tuesday morning, reports the...
Amtrak's New Problem:
Cars Uncoupling at High Speed
Feb 6, 2018 5:27 PM CST
Amtrak's New Problem: Cars Uncoupling at High Speed
Nobody is hurt in incident involving Acela train in Maryland
- Because Amtrak needed one more negative headline: One of its high-speed Acela trains came apart Tuesday morning while en route from DC to New York. Specifically, the first two cars on the train uncoupled from each other in Maryland, reports the
. Both cars had passengers, but nobody was...
In Train Crash, Safety Upgrade
May Have Played a Role
Feb 5, 2018 6:18 PM CST
In Train Crash, Safety Upgrade May Have Played a Role
Signal system was down as crews installed 'Positive Train Control' system
- Transportation officials have said that a safety system known as Positive Train Control could have prevented the deadly Amtrak train crash in South Carolina over the weekend. Now the AP reports that crews were actually installing it when the accident occurred. In fact, the very installation process may have played...
Freight Firm for
Feb 5, 2018 6:41 AM CST
Amtrak Blames Freight Firm for Deadly Crash
NTSB says safety system would have stopped SC crash
- The crash that killed two Amtrak crew members and injured more than 100 other people wouldn't have happened under a safety system the National Transportation Safety Board has been seeking for decades, says NTSB chairman Robert Sumwalt. He said Sunday that "Positive Train Control," which slows trains...
Amtrak Train Wasn't Speeding:
It Was on the Wrong Track
Feb 4, 2018 1:45 PM CST
Amtrak Train Wasn't Speeding: It Was on the Wrong Track
2 dead, more than 100 injured in South Carolina when it hits a parked freight train
- The cause of Sunday morning's deadly train crash in South Carolina appears to be the most basic one imaginable: The Amtrak train that plowed into a parked freight train was on the wrong track, say state officials. Now the big question is how that happened. Two people are dead—...
2 Dead in New Amtrak Crash
Feb 4, 2018 5:32 AM CST
2 Dead in New Amtrak Crash
Passenger train collides with freight train in SC; at least 50 injured
- At least two people are dead and 50 more injured after an Amtrak train collided with a CSX freight train early Sunday in South Carolina, reports CNN , derailing the Amtrak lead engine and some of its passenger cars. The accident, which involved Amtrak's New York-to-Miami Train 91, occurred about...
Lawmakers OK After Train's
Fatal Collision With Truck
Jan 31, 2018 12:02 PM CST
Lawmakers OK After Train's Fatal Collision With Truck
Republican members of Congress were on their way to West Virginia; person in truck is dead
- A train carrying Republican members of Congress to a retreat in West Virginia struck a garbage truck on Wednesday. One person aboard the truck is dead and another seriously injured, reports NBC Washington . No lawmakers were believed to be seriously hurt, though one was taken to the hospital, according to...
He Was Busted at Train's
Controls. Now, Terror Charges
Jan 5, 2018 12:56 PM CST
He Was Busted at Train's Controls. Now, Terror Charges
FBI says it found weapons, ammo, white supremacist materials at Taylor Wilson's home
- A white supremacist accused of stopping an Amtrak train in Nebraska has been charged with terrorism. Documents unsealed Wednesday in US District Court in Lincoln show 26-year-old Taylor Wilson of St. Charles, Mo., is charged with terrorism attacks and other violence against railroad carriers and mass transportation systems, the AP...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Palin Tests Positive for COVID, NYT Trial Delayed
After Another Attack, a New Subway Warning
Bataclan Survivor 'Shocked' to Find Out What Her Surgeon Did
Virginia's New Republican Governor Making Waves
A Game for the Ages Sparks Call for Rule Change
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.