Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
They Escaped Certain Death
Only to Face It Again
Nov 20, 2021 1:00 PM CST
They Escaped Certain Death Only to Face It Again
For some Rohingya refugees, assassins lurk
- As the
New York Times
tells it, they've gone from one hell to the next. The first would be Myanmar, the country Rohingya Muslims fled en masse in 2017 to escape ethnic cleansing. Where most have landed is Bangladesh, which is home to what is the biggest single refugee...
17 Dead After Lightning Strikes
Boat Carrying Wedding Party
Aug 5, 2021 7:46 AM CDT
17 Dead After Lightning Strikes Boat Carrying Wedding Party
Another 14 were injured in tragedy in Bangladesh
- What was supposed to be a day of celebration turned into a day of mourning in Bangladesh, after a lightning strike killed more than a dozen people in a wedding party. Authorities say a boat headed toward the bride's house on Wednesday had just reached the banks of the...
Locked Factory Door Blamed
in Bangladeshi Deaths
Jul 9, 2021 1:39 PM CDT
Locked Factory Door Blamed in Bangladeshi Deaths
Officials say at least 52 are dead in fire
- A fire engulfed a food and beverage factory outside Bangladesh's capital, killing at least 52 people, many of whom were trapped inside by an illegally locked door, fire officials said Friday. The blaze began Thursday night at the five-story Hashem Foods Ltd. factory in Rupganj, just outside Dhaka, sending...
of Killing 70 Tigers
Jun 1, 2021 4:31 PM CDT
Poacher Accused of Killing 70 Tigers
Bangladesh man finally in custody after 20 years
- A poacher suspected of killing a significant proportion of his country's population of wild Bengal tigers is finally in custody, authorities in Bangladesh say. Habib Talukder, 50, is believed to have killed up to 70 endangered tigers over the last 20 years, the BBC reports. The pelts and other...
For One Neighbor of India,
Worries of a 'New Wave'
May 8, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
For One Neighbor of India, Worries of a 'New Wave'
Bangladesh just detected variant originally IDed in India
- India's surge in coronavirus cases is having a dangerous effect on neighboring Bangladesh. Health experts warn of imminent vaccine shortages just as the country should be stepping up its vaccination drive, and as more contagious virus variants are beginning to be detected. On Saturday, health authorities said that for...
Bangladesh's Death Penalty for
Rape Isn't Enough: Advocates
Oct 18, 2020 11:00 AM CDT
Bangladesh's Death Penalty for Rape Isn't Enough: Advocates
Rights groups say system doesn't support victims or hold rapists accountable
- From now on, rapists could face the death penalty in Bangladesh. The government is making the change in the face of public outrage over a series of well-publicized attacks on women, the
New York Times
reports, though human rights groups said the change in the law won't solve the...
Teens Thought They'd Found
Love. Instead, a Terrible Turn
Oct 1, 2020 1:40 PM CDT
Teens Thought They'd Found Love. Instead, a Terrible Turn
'Nat Geo' tells the stories of 2 sex slaves fighting against the odds
- They thought they'd found love. But Sayeda and Anjali, pseudonyms given to two teenage girls born into poverty and sold to the same Indian brothel, were fooled, as Yudhijit Bhattacharjee writes in an expose of child trafficking for
. Sayeda, an aspiring dancer from Khulna, Bangladesh, who by...
Gas Line Explodes
Near Mosque, Killing 16
Sep 5, 2020 9:00 AM CDT
Gas Line Explodes Near Mosque, Killing 16
Dozens of injuries also reported after blast in Bangladesh
- An underground gas pipeline near a mosque exploded during evening prayers outside Bangladesh's capital, leaving 16 Muslim worshipers dead and dozens injured with critical burns, officials say. The blast occurred Friday night as people were finishing their prayers at Baitus Salat Jame Mosque at Narayanganj, per a local police...
China Gets Worst
Virus News in 2 Months
Jun 14, 2020 8:37 AM CDT
China Gets Worst Virus News in 2 Months
57 new cases on Sunday
- China on Sunday reported its biggest one-day jump in coronavirus cases in two months after closing the biggest wholesale food market in Beijing and locking down nearby communities. The 57 new confirmed infections included 36 in Beijing. The Xinfadi market on Beijing’s southeastern side was closed Saturday and neighboring...
2.6M Forced to
—in a Pandemic
May 20, 2020 8:03 AM CDT
2.6M Forced to Flee Super-Cyclone —in a Pandemic
Amphan makes landfall around India-Bangladesh border
- A process is underway to move 2.6 million people from isolation to shelters in India and Bangladesh with a super-cyclone making landfall. Amphan, the first super-cyclone in the Bay of Bengal since 1999, has already claimed one life as it plowed into the India-Bangladesh border on Wednesday morning. A...
Massive Cyclone Is Bearing
Down on 2 Nations
May 19, 2020 9:00 AM CDT
Massive Cyclone Is Bearing Down on 2 Nations
Amphan, headed toward India and Bangladesh, is 2nd super cyclone ever to form over Bay of Bengal
- A powerful cyclone was moving toward India and Bangladesh on Tuesday as authorities tried to evacuate millions of people while maintaining social distancing. Cyclone Amphan is expected to make landfall on Wednesday afternoon, and forecasters warned of extensive damage from high winds, heavy rainfall, tidal waves, and some flooding in...
Starving Refugees Rescued
After 2 Months at Sea
Apr 16, 2020 4:23 AM CDT
Starving Refugees Rescued After 2 Months at Sea
Almost 400 people were on overcrowded boat
- Hundreds of starving Rohingya refugees have been rescued after spending almost two months at sea. The coast guard in Bangladesh says more than 30 people died on the vessel, which may have been turned back from Malaysia due to the coronavirus pandemic, the BBC reports. Authorities say the refugees are...
7 Sentenced to Die
for 2016 Terror Attack
Nov 27, 2019 12:13 AM CST
7 Sentenced to Die for 2016 Terror Attack
Bangladesh extremists killed 20 hostages
- A special anti-terrorism tribunal in Bangladesh has sentenced seven members of a banned militant group to death for their involvement in an attack on a Dhaka cafe that killed more than 20 people. Judge Mojibur Rahman on Wednesday found the men from the Jumatul Mujahedeen Bangladesh group guilty of various...
Principal, 15 Others Sentenced
to Death for Killing Student
Oct 25, 2019 6:43 AM CDT
Principal, 15 Others Sentenced to Death for Killing Student
Bangladesh woman had refused to drop sexual harassment charges
- A court in eastern Bangladesh sentenced the principal of an Islamic school and 15 others to death on Thursday over the killing of an 18-year-old woman who was set on fire for refusing to drop sexual harassment charges against the principal. Judge Mamunur Rashid found Principal Siraj Ud Doula and...
'Virgin' Category Scrubbed
From Bangladeshi Marriages
Aug 27, 2019 1:15 PM CDT
'Virgin' Category Scrubbed From Bangladeshi Marriages
High court says women can identify as 'unmarried'
- Women in Bangladesh no longer need to declare if they are virgins before heading to the altar. The country's high court has ordered two major changes to marriage forms, which previously required women to choose one of three options to describe themselves: divorced, widowed, or the Bengali word "...
She Was Burned Alive
for Reporting Assault.
May 29, 2019 2:48 PM CDT
She Was Burned Alive for Reporting Assault. Now, Charges
Family wants justice for Nusrat Jahan Rafi
- Nusrat Jahan Rafi was burned alive after reporting that her school headmaster had groped her. Now, 16 people have been charged in the Bangladesh teen's murder, the BBC reports. That includes the headmaster, Siraj Ud Doula, who police say ordered the hit on Rafi from prison after she refused...
It's a Grim Prognosis
for Bengal Tigers
May 10, 2019 10:14 AM CDT
It's a Grim Prognosis for Bengal Tigers
One of their biggest strongholds may be gone entirely in 50 years
- One of the world’s largest populations of wild tigers will be without its major habitat in 50 years, according to a new UN study. Research published this month in the journal
Science of The Total Environment
predicts rising sea levels will be "enough to decimate" the few hundred...
Student Set on Fire After
Reporting Sex Harassment
Apr 19, 2019 12:08 PM CDT
Student Set on Fire After Reporting Sex Harassment
Police negligence alleged in Bangladeshi case
- "The teacher touched me, I will fight this crime 'til my last breath," Nusrat Jahan Rafi spoke into a cellphone as she was taken to a Bangladeshi hospital with burns covering 80% of her body. She would die four days later, and now her case has gained...
She Gave Birth in February,
and Then Again Last Week
Mar 28, 2019 8:34 AM CDT
She Gave Birth in February, and Then Again Last Week
Bangladesh's Arifa Sultana is just a bit overwhelmed
- Arifa Sultana gave birth to her first child in late February. Her next two came less than a month later—via a previously unknown second womb. It was one shock after another for the 20-year-old Bangladeshi woman, whose water broke 26 days after her vaginal delivery of a premature baby...
Bangladesh: We Can't Take
More Rohingya Refugees
Mar 1, 2019 7:47 AM CST
Bangladesh: We Can't Take More Rohingya Refugees
They say Myanmar has made 'hollow promises'
- Rohingya people fleeing ethnic cleansing in Myanmar will no longer be accepted as refugees in Bangladesh, the country's foreign secretary says. Shahidul Haque has informed the United Nations Security Council that Bangladesh will stop accepting Rohingya Muslim refugees because Myanmar has made "hollow promises" during discussions on returning...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Actor Ray Liotta Is Dead at 67
Slain Teacher's Husband Dies 2 Days After Her
2 Deaths in the World of Music
Anger Over Police Response: 'There Are Kids!'
Almost Everyone Has Now Pulled Out of NRA Concert
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.