Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Xi Jinping Snubs Kerry,
Jul 21, 2023 5:30 AM CDT
Xi Jinping Snubs Kerry, Welcomes Kissinger
Chinese leader hails 'insightful' American
- Xi Jinping didn't meet John Kerry while the top US climate envoy was in China this week—but he met, and praised, an American who first came to Beijing for talks with Chinese leaders more than 50 years ago. Xi described Henry Kissinger as an "old friend" when...
Climate Talks End in a Deal
Without Altering Planet's Course
Nov 13, 2021 4:30 PM CST
Climate Talks End in a Deal Without Altering Planet's Course
Weakened wording on coal clears way for accord
- Negotiators from almost 200 nations reached an accord Saturday in the fight against climate change, acknowledging that the problem isn't solved but setting up another attempt at more dramatic action next year. The Glasgow summit did not achieve the central goal of agreeing on action to limit the warming...
US, China Say They Agree on
Urgency of Climate Change
Apr 18, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
US, China Say They Agree on Urgency of Climate Change
Announcement precedes Biden's summit this week
- Setting the stage for President Biden's summit this week, the US and China announced Sunday that they've agreed to cooperate in urgently addressing climate change. A joint statement said the two powers are "committed to cooperating with each other and with other countries to tackle the climate...
National Security Team
Nov 24, 2020 5:03 PM CST
Biden Introduces National Security Team
'America is back,' says president-elect
- Declaring "America is back," President-elect Joe Biden introduced his national security team on Tuesday, his first substantive offering of how he’ll shift from Trump-era "America First" policies by relying on experts from the Democratic establishment to be some of his most important advisers. "Together, these...
Kerry Pick Signals
'War Footing' on Climate
Nov 24, 2020 8:23 AM CST
Kerry Pick Signals 'War Footing' on Climate
For first time, a climate adviser will sit on the National Security Council
- Joe Biden unveiled several picks for his administration Monday, including John Kerry as his special presidential envoy for climate. Kerry will not be the first presidential "climate czar," but he will be the first to sit on the National Security Council. That alone is seen as a signal...
'He's a Rocker'
Nov 23, 2020 11:55 AM CST
Biden Pick's Unusual Hobby: 'He's a Rocker'
Antony Blinken set for state post, while John Kerry and some notable firsts also are on board
- Joe Biden is fleshing out his White House. Word leaked Sunday night that he plans to nominate Antony Blinken as his secretary of state, while other big picks were unveiled on Monday. More on Blinken and the others, including John Kerry and some notable firsts:
John Kerry Unloads on
Lawmaker in Surprising Tweet
Mar 27, 2020 11:57 AM CDT
John Kerry Unloads on Lawmaker in Surprising Tweet
He says Thomas Massie has 'tested positive for being an a--hole'
- Rep. Thomas Massie is not a popular man on Capitol Hill because he's gumming up quick passage of the massive stimulus bill in the House. The Kentucky Republican said Friday morning he planned to ask for a roll call vote, meaning lawmakers would have to be physically present to...
John Kerry 'Categorically'
Denies 2020 Rumors
Feb 3, 2020 12:03 AM CST
John Kerry 'Categorically' Denies 2020 Rumors
He was overheard talking about Sanders 'taking down the Democratic Party'
- John Kerry has angrily denied claims that he might be plotting to enter the Democratic race at the last minute. The former secretary of State, who was the party's 2004 nominee, spoke out after NBC reported that he had been overheard in an Iowa hotel talking about entering the...
Biden Picks Up Backing
of a Former Nominee
Dec 5, 2019 1:38 PM CST
Biden Picks Up Backing of a Former Nominee
John Kerry endorses the former VP
- Joe Biden picked up a notable endorsement on Thursday from someone who once won the Democratic nomination. Former Secretary of State John Kerry backed his longtime friend for the White House, reports the
. "The world is broken,” said Kerry, "and I believe very deeply that...
Trump Says He Can't Get
Anybody to Prosecute Kerry
May 9, 2019 5:00 PM CDT
Trump Says He Can't Get Anybody to Prosecute Kerry
Iran talks violate Logan Act, president argues
- President Trump said Thursday that John Kerry, who was secretary of state under President Obama, should face charges for talking to Iran after leaving office. Trump told reporters that Kerry told Iranian leaders not to talk with Trump administration officials, the
reports, saying, "he should be prosecuted...
Senator Praises Meghan
McCain Following Funeral
SUNDAY TALK SHOWS
Sep 2, 2018 3:15 PM CDT
Senator Praises Meghan McCain Following Funeral
The South Carolina Republican praised his friend's child
- On CNN's
State of the Union
, Sen. Lindsey Graham praised Meghan McCain as "her father's daughter" following her headline-grabbing eulogy to her dad that many said appeared to bash President Trump. Former Secretary of State John Kerry appeared on
Face The Nation
and bashed the country's...
Chances of Trump Staying
in Iran Deal 'Very Small'
May 8, 2018 4:09 AM CDT
Chances of Trump Staying in Iran Deal 'Very Small'
President says he'll announce his decision Tuesday
- President Trump says he will announce his decision on the Iran nuclear deal at 2pm Tuesday—and he's widely expected to declare that the US is pulling out. European diplomats who've been trying to change the president's mind now say the chances of him staying in the...
to Save Iran
May 5, 2018 5:30 PM CDT
John Kerry on 'Stealth Campaign' to Save Iran Nuke Pact
Former Secretary of State is talking to world leaders
- While President Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu publicly slam the Iran nuclear deal, John Kerry is quietly trying to save it. The former secretary of state has held private meetings with Iranian Foreign Minister Javad Zarif, French President Emmanuel Macron, and German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier in an effort...
Trump of Being
TALK SHOW ROUNDUP
Jun 4, 2017 10:28 AM CDT
Gore Accuses Trump of Being 'Divisive' With London Tweets
Trump criticized and misquoted London mayor in tweet
- Al Gore appeared on CNN's
State of the Union
Sunday to take President Trump to task for criticizing and misquoting London Mayor Sadiq Khan in a tweet while the latter attempts to deal with the aftermath of Saturday's deadly attack. “I don’t think that a major...
Israel PM Rejects
Kerry's 'Parting Shot'
Dec 29, 2016 6:45 AM CST
Israel PM Rejects Kerry's 'Parting Shot'
Bill Clinton offered very similar solution in 2000
- John Kerry fired what was widely seen as a frustrated parting shot at Israel amid rising tensions Wednesday, warning, as "a friend," that the country needs to hear some "hard truths" about its settlement policy, which he believes is jeopardizing any hope of a two-state solution. The...
Needs to Hear
Dec 28, 2016 1:01 PM CST
Kerry: Israel Needs to Hear 'Hard Truths'
Secretary of state lays out vision for Middle East peace one last time
- John Kerry says the US is still Israel's friend—despite last week's surprising decision to allow a UN resolution condemning Israeli settlements—but said Wednesday that sometimes "friends need to tell each other the hard truths," the
New York Times
reports. With just 23 days left...
China to Trump:
We Didn't Make Up
Nov 17, 2016 1:56 AM CST
China to Trump: We Didn't Make Up Global Warming
Minister points out Reagan's role in climate talks
- China wants Donald Trump to know that contrary to his notorious 2012 tweet , global warming is not a concept it invented to undermine American manufacturing. At United Nations climate talks in Morocco Wednesday, China's Vice Foreign Minister Liu Zhenmin pointed out that Republican presidents helped launch Intergovernmental Panel on...
A Historic Antarctica
Trip Is Underway
Nov 11, 2016 12:20 AM CST
A Historic Antarctica Trip Is Underway
John Kerry plans to visit US base near South Pole
- US Secretary of State John Kerry became the highest-ranking American official to visit Antarctica on Friday when he landed for a two-day trip. Kerry, who will hear from scientists about the impact of climate change on the frozen continent, left from New Zealand after being held up for about a...
US Threatens Russia Over Syria
as UN Decries 'Slaughterhouse'
Sep 28, 2016 11:27 AM CDT
US Threatens Russia Over Syria as UN Decries 'Slaughterhouse'
John Kerry decries Russian and Syrian attacks, says US will cut off all contact
- Secretary of State John Kerry is threatening to cut off all contact with Moscow over Syria, unless Russian and Syrian government attacks on Aleppo end, the AP reports. The State Department says Kerry issued the ultimatum in a Wednesday telephone call to Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov. Kerry's spokesperson,...
US, Russia Announce
Plan for Ceasefire in Syria
Sep 9, 2016 6:56 PM CDT
US, Russia Announce Plan for Ceasefire in Syria
It could be a 'turning point' in the five-year civil war
- Russia and the US announced plans for a ceasefire in the five-year Syrian civil war Friday, CNN reports. Under the agreement—which both the Syrian government and opposition groups have tentatively agreed to—calls for an end to hostilities starting at sundown on Monday. Secretary of State John Kerry says...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Bad News for Trump on Jan. 6 Civil Suits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.