Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
4th Person Found
Dead, 2 Still
Nov 27, 2023 12:30 AM CST
4th Person Found Dead, 2 Still Missing After Landslide
Landslide ripped through remote Alaska fishing community
- Authorities recovered the body of an 11-year-old girl Saturday evening from the debris of a landslide in southeast Alaska that tore down a wooded mountainside days earlier, smashing into homes in a remote fishing village, the AP reports. The girl, Kara Heller, was the fourth person confirmed killed by last...
Alaska Landslide Kills Girl,
Leaves 5 People Missing
Nov 21, 2023 6:30 PM CST
Alaska Landslide Kills Girl, Leaves 5 People Missing
A woman was injured when houses near Wrangell were hit
This file has been updated with information about the victims.
Five people are missing after a landslide near the Alaskan city of Wrangell killed a girl and injured a woman, per the AP . No information about either of them was immediately released. The slide, estimated at 450 feet wide, occurred...
As Houses Slide Into Canyon,
City Needs Answers Fast
Jul 12, 2023 4:52 PM CDT
As Houses Slide Into Canyon, City Needs Answers Fast
A landslide started the California evacuations, but no one is sure of the cause
- A homeowners association in Southern California is trying to hire a geologist—quickly. A landslide that began Saturday night destroyed 12 houses in the city of Rolling Hills Estates and has sent others slowly slipping toward a canyon, the
reports. No one is sure why, so the city told...
Huge Rock Slide Misses
Village by a Whisker
Jun 16, 2023 11:54 AM CDT
Huge Rock Slide Misses Village by a Whisker
Residents of Brienz, Switzerland, evacuated last month, just in case
- Residents of the tiny Swiss village of Brienz had to evacuate last month because geologists feared a massive rock slide was imminent. The geologists were proved to be correct overnight Thursday, though the massive rock slide stopped short of the village by a matter of feet. Remarkable images show the...
Villagers Told to Get Out
Before Mountain Falls
May 11, 2023 10:05 AM CDT
Villagers Told to Get Out Before Mountain Falls
There's a 10% chance Swiss village could be buried in the coming days
- Residents of the small Swiss village of Brienz have been told to get out before a mountain falls on their heads. Geologists say a large chunk of the mountain that looms over the village is unstable, and that more than 70 million cubic feet of dirt and rocks could fall...
Flooding Kills Scores in Congo
May 6, 2023 12:15 PM CDT
Flooding Kills Scores in Congo
About 100 are reported to be missing
- The death toll from flash floods and landslides in eastern Congo has risen to 176, with some 100 people still missing, according to a provisional assessment given by the governor and authorities in the country's South Kivu province. Rivers broke their banks in villages in the territory of Kalehe...
California Saturated Again.
Then, 'a Big Old Crunch'
Mar 17, 2023 11:09 AM CDT
California Saturated Again. Then, 'a Big Old Crunch'
Residents made to evacuate oceanfront homes in San Clemente after moisture-induced landslide
- The California city of San Clemente was hit by a landslide this week after heavy rains, an event that tore away at cliffsides, oceanfront decks, and pieces of patio and forced the evacuation of several apartment buildings perched on the edge of those cliffs. The
San Clemente Times
Landslide Buries Campsite,
Killing at Least 16
Dec 16, 2022 4:21 AM CST
Landslide Buries Campsite, Killing at Least 16
17 missing in Malaysia disaster
- A landslide early Friday at a hillside tourist campground in Malaysia left 16 people dead and authorities said 17 others were feared buried at the site on an organic farm outside the capital, Kuala Lumpur. An estimated 94 people, all Malaysians, were sleeping at the campsite in Batang Kali in...
Huge Fatal Landslide Blamed
on Ill-Advised Development
Nov 27, 2022 5:31 AM CST
Huge Fatal Landslide Blamed on Ill-Advised Development
Dozen people are missing on Italian island of Ischia
- Rescuers dug through mud for a second day Sunday in the search for people lost in an enormous landslide on the Italian resort island of Ischia. One body was recovered on Saturday and about a dozen people, including children, were reported missing in the port town of Casamicciola, feared buried...
Floods Kill 91,
With 26 More
May 30, 2022 4:10 PM CDT
Floods Kill 91, With 26 More Missing
Thousands have been displaced in Brazil, and fear of landslides remains
- Authorities in northeastern Brazil's Pernambuco state said Monday that 91 deaths have been confirmed from flooding over the weekend, with more two dozen people still missing. Hundreds of state and federal rescue workers were searching for 26 people currently unaccounted for, according to the official statement. President Jair Bolsonaro...
Another Body Found After
Nov 21, 2021 8:45 AM CST
Another Body Found After Devastating Landslide
Drivers swept to their deaths off Canada highway
- The British Columbia Coroners Service has confirmed the discovery of three more bodies near the village of Pemberton, bringing to four the number of people who died in a landslide caused by heavy rains that swept vehicles off the road. The search continues for a fifth body, chief coroner Lisa...
First Came the Rain. Then,
a Mudslide 'as Fast as a Car'
Jul 3, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
First Came the Rain. Then, a Mudslide 'as Fast as a Car'
At least 19 are missing in Atami, Japan
- A powerful mudslide carrying a deluge of black water and debris crashed into rows of houses in a town west of Tokyo following heavy rains on Saturday, leaving at least 19 people missing, officials said. Dozens of homes may have been buried in Atami, a town known for hot springs,...
Town's Cemetery Collapse an
Feb 24, 2021 12:34 PM CST
Town's Cemetery Collapse an 'Unimaginable Catastrophe'
As many as 200 coffins fell in Camogli, Italy
- An "unimaginable catastrophe" has befallen a town near Genoa, Italy, where hundreds of coffins that long rested in a seaside cemetery fell some 160 feet toward the Mediterranean Sea on Monday. CNN reports that as many as 200 coffins were swept up in a landslide in Camogli, and only...
Piece of Joy
Jan 5, 2021 7:25 AM CST
Amid Landslide's Destruction, a Piece of Joy
Healthy Dalmatian rescued from the rubble in Norway
- Three people remain missing after the worst landslide in modern Norwegian history, which has so far killed seven, but there is a sign of hope. Late Monday, six days after the landslide took out nine buildings containing more than 30 apartments, leaving a 2,300-foot-long and 1,000-foot-wide ravine in...
26 Missing After
Their Homes Slid Away
Dec 30, 2020 8:44 AM CST
26 Missing After Their Homes Slid Away
Homes toppled into a deep ravine in landslide in Ask, Norway, early Wednesday
- Twenty-six people are unaccounted for in a Norwegian town following a landslide early Wednesday. At least 10 people were injured when the landslide struck around 4am in the town of Ask in the Gjerdrum municipality, some 15 miles northeast of Oslo, per the Local . The landslide took out a road...
'The Whole Side of the Hill
Has Come Down' in Alaska
Dec 3, 2020 7:20 AM CST
'The Whole Side of the Hill Has Come Down' in Alaska
6 Haines residents are unaccounted for
- Alaska State Troopers say six people are missing after a massive landslide caused by a record-breaking storm. Troopers said Wednesday evening that four homes were buried under 9 feet of mud and trees after a landslide 600 feet long swept through a neighborhood in Haines, around 90 miles north of...
Video Shows Massive
Mine Collapse That
Took 120 Lives
Jul 2, 2020 7:20 AM CDT
Video Shows Massive Mine Collapse That Took 120 Lives
'I feel empty in my heart,' says a Myanmar miner
- At least 126 people are dead after a terrifying mine collapse buried workers in a wave of rock and mud Thursday in Myanmar, the BBC reports. Officials say rainfall caused a heap of muddy waste to crumble at the jade mine in Hpakant township in Kachin state, setting off the...
Huge Alaskan Tsunami
Could Be Imminent
May 15, 2020 12:57 PM CDT
Huge Alaskan Tsunami Could Be Imminent
A glacier is retreating, and scientists say a massive wave will eventually result
- Scientists are warning that the sudden collapse of an Alaskan slope currently being propped up by a retreating glacier could trigger a catastrophic tsunami hundreds of feet high. "It could happen anytime, but the risk just goes way up as this glacier recedes," researcher Anna Liljedahl tells the...
Is Staying Put
Jun 7, 2019 4:26 AM CDT
Colorado Says 'Memorial Boulder' Is Staying Put
State thinks it could become tourist attraction
- A boulder the size of a house that tumbled across and gouged a southwestern Colorado state highway last month will stay put. State officials plan to rebuild the highway next to it, saving taxpayers money and possibly creating a tourist attraction, the AP reports. Democratic Gov. Jared Polis says Colorado...
Mayor: '99%' Chance
Landslide Victims Are Dead
Sep 17, 2018 9:05 AM CDT
Mayor: '99%' Chance Landslide Victims Are Dead
But mayor vows to keep digging
- A Philippine mayor said Monday that it's unlikely any of the dozens of people feared buried in a huge landslide set off by Typhoon Mangkhut will be found alive, though rescuers are still digging through the massive mound of mud and debris covering a chapel where they'd taken...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Boomers Throw a Wrench Into Housing Market
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Here's Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year for 2023
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.