Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
A Century Ago, They Lived
Through a Rampage. Now, $1M
May 20, 2022 6:50 AM CDT
A Century Ago, They Lived Through a Rampage. Now, $1M
3 centenarians who lived through 1921's Tulsa Race Massacre will split gift
- Only three survivors remain from the Tulsa Race Massacre , the 1921 attack in which a white mob descended upon the city's affluent Black neighborhood of Greenwood, torched more than 1,250 homes, and killed hundreds. That trio never received any reparations from either Tulsa or the state of Oklahoma,...
Grim End to Stolen
Statue of Famed
May 3, 2022 1:10 PM CDT
Grim End to Stolen Statue of Famed Native American
Statue of ballerina Marjorie Tallchief appears to have been cut down, sold for scrap for $266
- A bronze statue of Native American ballerina Marjorie Tallchief, stolen last week from the Tulsa Historical Society & Museum, appears to have been cut into pieces and sold as scrap metal. Pieces of the statue—one of five outdoor statues depicting famous Native American ballerinas from Oklahoma known as the...
Judge: Tulsa Race
Lawsuit Can Proceed
May 3, 2022 12:05 AM CDT
Judge: Tulsa Race Massacre Reparations Lawsuit Can Proceed
Lawsuit seeks reparations for 1921 tragedy
- An Oklahoma judge ruled Monday that a lawsuit seeking reparations for the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre can proceed, bringing new hope for some measure of justice for three survivors of the deadly racist rampage who are now over 100 years old and were in the courtroom for the decision. Tulsa...
Don't Do This
Apr 13, 2022 7:32 AM CDT
Really Want an Audi? Don't Do This
Randy Cantwell arrested for impersonating federal marshal, trying to steal car in Tulsa, Okla.
- A man in Oklahoma apparently had his heart set on an Audi, but his alleged scheme to acquire one didn't work out the way it was supposed to. KTUL reports that Randy Cantwell was arrested in Tulsa after police say he showed up at a car dealership in Tulsa,...
in case you missed it
Jan 22, 2022 1:20 PM CST
Pastor Warns Things 'Might Get Nasty.' They Did
Michael Todd of Tulsa's Transformation Church under fire for rubbing spit on man during sermon
- "One touch from God can bring clear vision" reads the caption accompanying the most recent upload from an Oklahoma church, showing "a very special Sunday" service that definitely got people buzzing about not God's touch, but its pastor's. The
notes that thousands of people...
Woman Vanishes While
Searching for Missing Son
Nov 2, 2021 2:52 PM CDT
Woman Vanishes While Searching for Missing Son
Police in Tulsa say hunters found remains of son's friend Jack Grimes
- A Tulsa mother disappeared while searching for her missing son and foul play has not been ruled out in both disappearances, police say. Glenda "Cookie" Parton, 80, was last seen while driving on Oct. 25. A day earlier, her son Dwayne Selby, 56, and his friend Jack Grimes, 76,...
Jul 31, 2021 4:30 PM CDT
Closed Reburial Draws Anger in Tulsa
Protesters say there should have been a funeral for possible massacre victims
- The remains exhumed from a cemetery to check for victims of the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre have been reburied, angering protesters who may be descendants of those killed. The remains of 19 people were returned Friday to their original placements, KTUL reports, while protesters locked out of Oaklawn Cemetery watched...
Tulsa Mother Arrested After
12-Year-Old Girl Gives Birth
Jul 30, 2021 4:21 AM CDT
Tulsa Mother Arrested After 12-Year-Old Girl Gives Birth
Police say family knew girl was having sex with 24-year-old man
- Tulsa woman Desiree Castaneda was arrested Thursday, two weeks after she became a grandmother at the age of 33. Police say she was charged with child neglect and enabling child sex abuse after her 12-year-old daughter gave birth,
reports. Juan Miranda-Jara, a 24-year-old who admitted being the father, was...
Tom Hanks: My Industry
Ignored Tulsa for Too Long
Jun 4, 2021 9:00 AM CDT
Tom Hanks: My Industry Ignored Tulsa for Too Long
He says he had never heard of race massacre before last year
- Tom Hanks considers himself a reasonably well-informed "lay historian"—he has appeared in more than a few historically based movies and TV shows—but he had never heard of the Tulsa Race Massacre before last year. In an opinion piece at the
New York Times
, the actor says...
Biden: 'Literal Hell
Was Unleashed' in Tulsa
Jun 1, 2021 4:55 PM CDT
Biden: 'Literal Hell Was Unleashed' in Tulsa
He marks 100th anniversary of race massacre
- An emotional President Biden marked the 100th anniversary of the massacre that destroyed a thriving Black community in Tulsa, declaring Tuesday that he had "come to fill the silence" about one of the nation’s darkest—and long suppressed—moments of racial violence. "Some injustices are so heinous,...
'They Were Killing
All the Black People'
May 31, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
Tulsa Witness: 'They Were Killing All the Black People'
City marks centennial of attack whose destruction is still felt today
- For decades, many Americans knew little of the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre. Events and news media coverage marking the centennial this weekend are trying to change that, partly by assessing the lasting pain and depth of the horrific attack on the city's Black people—including an examination of how...
of Tulsa Race
May 30, 2021 10:40 AM CDT
Tensions Shake Commemoration of Tulsa Race Massacre
Stadium event with John Legend and Stacey Abrams is off
- The 100th anniversary commemoration of the Tulsa Race Massacre has become entangled in a series of contentious developments, canceling some of the centerpiece events. The city is marking the horrific event over the weekend, a century after a white mob killed as many as 300 people, destroying the homes of...
City: We Know Who Hacked Us
May 20, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
City: We Know Who Hacked Us
Cyberattack is similar to the one against Colonial Pipeline, Tulsa says
- A cybersecurity attack on the city of Tulsa's computer system was similar to an attack on the Colonial Pipeline, officials said Thursday. The hacker is known, the AP reports. "I can't share anything other than we know who did it," Mayor G.T. Bynum said, adding...
Event to Mark
100 Years Since
May 14, 2021 4:05 PM CDT
Event to Mark 100 Years Since Race Massacre
John Legend to headline Tulsa ceremony of speeches and performances
- An event this month, "Remember & Rise," will commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Tulsa Race Massacre. Singer John Legend will headline the nationally televised ceremony, speaking and performing, officials announced Friday, KJRH reports. The event, to be held May 31 at ONEOK Field, will include speeches from...
Found in Search for
1921 Massacre Victims
Oct 21, 2020 12:01 AM CDT
Human Remains Found in Search for 1921 Massacre Victims
It's not yet clear whether they belong to victims of the Tulsa race massacre
- On the second day of a renewed search for victims of the 1921 Tulsa race massacre , officials announced at least one set of human remains has been found. They will be analyzed to determine whether they are from a massacre victim, CNN reports; the
notes that will happen...
Oct 18, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
Tulsa Renews Search for Massacre Victims
More than 300 people were killed in 1921 attack on Black residents
- A second excavation begins Monday at a cemetery in an effort to find and identify victims of the 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre and shed light on the tragedy. The violence left hundreds dead and decimated an area that was once a cultural and economic center for African Americans. "I...
Sep 3, 2020 8:40 AM CDT
Lawsuit Filed Over Century-Old 'Massacre in Slow Motion'
105-year-old leads plaintiffs in demanding reparations for destroying 'Black Wall Street'
- Lessie Benningfield "Mother" Randle was just a child when the Greenwood area of Tulsa, Okla., (aka "Black Wall Street") was attacked by a white mob and burned down in the spring of 1921, killing an estimated 300 Black Americans. Now a lawsuit led by Randle, 105—who...
Health Official: Trump Rally
'Likely' a Factor in COVID Surge
Jul 9, 2020 12:20 AM CDT
Health Official: Trump Rally 'Likely' a Factor in COVID Surge
Tulsa has seen a dramatic increase in new COVID cases
- President Trump's campaign rally in Tulsa in late June that drew thousands of participants and large protests "likely contributed" to a dramatic surge in new coronavirus cases, Tulsa City-County Health Department Director Dr. Bruce Dart said Wednesday. Tulsa County reported 261 confirmed new cases on Monday, a one-day...
Trump Campaign Blocked
Social Distancing in Tulsa
Jun 28, 2020 11:40 AM CDT
Trump Campaign Blocked Social Distancing in Tulsa
Staff ordered removal of 'Do Not Sit Here' stickers
- With coronavirus cases on the rise in the Tulsa area, arena management bought 12,000 stickers to place on seats to enforce social distancing before President Trump's rally. But the Trump campaign had the stickers—reading "Do Not Sit Here, Please!" and placed on almost every other...
More Aides Test
Positive After Rally
Jun 22, 2020 7:15 PM CDT
More Aides Test Positive After Rally
Two Secret Service staffers are among those infected with the coronavirus
- Coronavirus tests have come back positive for two more members of President Trump's Tulsa advance team. Both were at the president's reelection rally Saturday, NBC reports, and the campaign said they wore masks. That brings the number of staff members who were in Tulsa known to be infected...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Gunman Sent Message: 'Going to Shoot Elementary School'
Details Emerge About Teen Shooter in Texas
'She Is Gone,' Texas Man Sobbed Into Phone
Beto O'Rourke Interrupts Abbott's Press Conference
All the Uvalde Victims Were in One 4th-Grade Classroom
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.