Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Have a Story to Tell
Sep 6, 2023 11:20 AM CDT
1.9K-Year-Old Roman Swords Have a Story to Tell
Remarkably well-preserved weapons are discovered in an Israeli cave
- Four Roman-era swords, their wooden and leather hilts and scabbards and steel blades exquisitely preserved after 1,900 years in a desert cave, surfaced in a recent excavation by Israeli archaeologists near the Dead Sea, the Israel Antiquities Authority said Wednesday. The cache of exceptionally intact artifacts was found about...
After Eritreans Riot, Netanyahu
Wants Immediate Deportations
Sep 3, 2023 3:45 PM CDT
After Eritreans Riot, Netanyahu Wants Immediate Deportations
Israeli prime minister calls for removing 'illegal infiltrators'
- Saying "a red line" had been crossed in a violent riot in Tel Aviv, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced a move Sunday toward deporting all immigrants who aren't authorized to be in Israel. About 170 people were injured in clashes with police and fighting between supporters and opponents...
Weightlifter Gets Lifetime Ban
Over This Handshake
Aug 31, 2023 12:58 PM CDT
Weightlifter Gets Lifetime Ban Over This Handshake
Iran's Weightlifting Federation said warm encounter with Israeli was 'unforgivable'
- Most sports organizations would view the shaking of an opponent's hand as sportsmanship, something to be applauded. Not Iran's Weightlifting Federation. The body has banned weightlifter Mostafa Rajaee, a former member of the Iranian national team, from competing in any sport for life after he shook the hand...
Clash Over Remarks on Israel
Aug 29, 2023 8:57 AM CDT
Hannity, Ramaswamy Clash Over Remarks on Israel
Fox News host pushes GOP presidential candidate in 'confrontational' interview
- Vivek Ramaswamy is getting into it with everyone these days. Last week, he got combative with CNN's Kaitlan Collins over his comments on Taiwan and 9/11. Then the GOP presidential candidate received a cease-and-desist letter from Eminem's team demanding he stop using the rapper's songs on the...
Netanyahu May Have Uncorked
Something He Can't Control
Jul 25, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Netanyahu May Have Uncorked Something He Can't Control
'These could be the last days of Israeli democracy,' says one critic
- Israel remained convulsed with mass protests on Tuesday in the wake of a judicial overhaul plan passed by Benjamin Netanyahu's far-right coalition government. The stakes? "These could be the last days of Israeli democracy," author Yuval Noah Harari (an expert on big-picture perspective ) tells the
After Cries of 'Shame,' Israeli
Lawmakers Pass Judicial Bill
Jul 24, 2023 8:00 AM CDT
After Cries of 'Shame,' Israeli Lawmakers Pass Judicial Bill
Knesset moves ahead with divisive plan despite the objections of President Biden
- Israeli lawmakers on Monday approved a key portion of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's divisive plan to reshape the country's justice system, per the AP . The vote came after a stormy session in which opposition lawmakers chanted "shame" and then stormed out of the chamber. The vote reflected...
Netanyahu Taken to Hospital
for a Pacemaker
Jul 23, 2023 12:01 AM CDT
Netanyahu Taken to Hospital for a Pacemaker
Health scare comes amid protests over controversial judicial overhaul
- Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was rushed to the hospital early Sunday for an emergency procedure to implant a pacemaker, plunging the country into deeper turmoil after widespread protests overt his contentious judicial overhaul plan. In a brief video statement before the procedure, Netanyahu declared that he "feels excellent" and...
Huge Protests, Ex-Officials,
Reservists Pressure Netanyahu
Jul 22, 2023 3:30 PM CDT
Huge Protests, Ex-Officials, Reservists Pressure Netanyahu
Judicial overhaul heads toward vote Monday in parliament
- Tens of thousands of protesters marched into Jerusalem on Saturday evening, and hundreds of thousands of Israelis took to the streets in Tel Aviv and other cities in a last-ditch show of force aimed at blocking Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's contentious judicial overhaul . Also Saturday, more than 100 of...
Protests Erupt After Netanyahu
Rejects Judiciary Plan Criticism
Jul 20, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
Protests Erupt After Netanyahu Rejects Judiciary Plan Criticism
Prime minister tells nation he won't budge on bill, which is headed for a vote Monday in Parliament
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Thursday vowed to press ahead with his contentious judicial overhaul, despite unprecedented mass protests at home, growing defections by military reservists and appeals from the US president to put the plan on hold. Netanyahu's message, delivered in a prime time address on national...
Drink Plenty of Water
Jul 15, 2023 1:00 PM CDT
Hospitalized Netanyahu: Drink Plenty of Water
Prime minister, who had reported dizziness, may have been dehydrated
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu was rushed to a hospital on Saturday after reporting what he called "mild dizziness," a statement from his office said. Tests showed no abnormalities, CNN reports his aides said, and a video was released in which he says he feels well. Still, Netanyahu,...
Difficult to Calculate
Jul 5, 2023 3:05 PM CDT
In Jenin, 'It's Honestly Difficult to Calculate the Damages'
Israeli says 2-day offensive dealt blow to Palestinian militants
- Palestinian residents of the Jenin refugee camp encountered scenes of widespread destruction Wednesday as they emerged from their homes and returned from nearby shelters following the most intense Israeli military operation in the occupied West Bank in nearly two decades. The two-day offensive was meant to crack down on Palestinian...
Israel Hits West Bank With
Biggest Strikes Since 2006
Jul 3, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Israel Hits West Bank With Biggest Strikes Since 2006
At least 8 Palestinians killed in refugee camp, with 50 injured
- Israel struck targets in a militant stronghold in the occupied West Bank with drones early Monday and deployed hundreds of troops in the area, reports the AP , in an incursion that resembled the wide-scale military operations carried out during the second Palestinian uprising two decades ago. Palestinian health officials said...
Settlers Storm West Bank Town
to Avenge Deadly Shooting
Jun 21, 2023 12:09 PM CDT
Settlers Storm West Bank Town to Avenge Deadly Shooting
'It was terrifying, we just saw mobs of people in the streets, masked, armed'
- Hundreds of Israeli settlers stormed into a Palestinian town in the occupied West Bank on Wednesday, setting fire to dozens of cars and homes to avenge the deaths of four Israelis killed by a pair of Palestinian gunmen the previous day, residents said. Palestinians said one man was killed in...
This Is One of the
Priciest Books Ever Sold
May 18, 2023 7:36 AM CDT
This Is One of the Priciest Books Ever Sold
1.1K-year-old Hebrew Bible fetches $38.1M
- A 1,100-year-old Hebrew Bible, among the world's oldest biblical manuscripts, is now also among the world's most expensive books. The handwritten manuscript on 792 leather-bound pages of sheepskin, dubbed Codex Sassoon after a previous owner, sold for $38.1 million at a Sotheby's auction in New...
Islamic Jihad, Israel
Agree to Cease-Fire
May 13, 2023 3:15 PM CDT
Islamic Jihad, Israel Agree to Cease-Fire
Egypt brokered the deal
- Israel and the Islamic Jihad militant group in the Gaza Strip agreed to an Egyptian-brokered cease-fire late Saturday, ending five days of intense fighting that left 33 Palestinians, including at least 13 civilians dead. Two people in Israel were killed by rocket fire. The cease-fire took effect just after 10pm,...
Israel Kills 3 Islamic Jihad
Commanders in Gaza Strikes
May 9, 2023 12:53 AM CDT
Israel Kills 3 Islamic Jihad Commanders in Gaza Strikes
Palestinian health officials say 12 people were killed in total
- Israel killed three senior commanders of the militant Islamic Jihad group in targeted airstrikes early Tuesday, the military said. Palestinian health officials said 12 people were killed in all, including the commanders, their wives, several of their children and others nearby, the AP reports. The strikes hit the top floor...
One Nation Still Spying on
Civilians With Potent Tool
Apr 23, 2023 3:40 PM CDT
One Nation Still Spying on Civilians With Potent Tool
Israeli military spies on civilians with Pegasus despite promises to stop, reports 'New York Times'
- It is, write Natalie Kitroeff and Ronen Bergman in the
New York Times
, the "world's most infamous spyware." The pair do a deep dive into Pegasus , a surveillance tool that can compromise every piece of data on a target's phone—even encrypted phones—including the camera....
Thousands Protest Before
Apr 22, 2023 3:45 PM CDT
Thousands Protest Before Israel's Anniversary
Demonstrators link Netanyahu's judicial plan to future of democracy
- Tens of thousands of protesters flocked to Tel Aviv and cities across Israel on Saturday to vent their opposition to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's far-right government and its divisive plan to overhaul the country's judicial system. The mass protest—which has raged weekly since the start of the...
Israeli Mother Dies Days
After Attack Killed Daughters
Apr 10, 2023 6:40 PM CDT
Israeli Mother Dies Days After Attack Killed Daughters
Lucy Dee had been in a coma since gunmen shot their car on Friday
- An Israeli mother who survived an assault in the West Bank that killed her two daughters died of her own injuries on Monday, reports the BBC . Lucy Dee, 45, had been in a coma since Friday. The three had been riding in the same car that day on their way...
Apr 10, 2023 5:50 PM CDT
Netanyahu Drops Firing of Defense Minister
'We continue together with full strength,' prime minister says of Gallant
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday reversed his decision to fire his defense minister over criticism of the government's contentious plan to overhaul the judiciary. In a live press conference, Netanyahu said that Yoav Gallant is staying at his post. "I decided to put the differences we...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
16-Year-Old Arrested After Felling of Iconic Tree
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
House Approves Amendment to Make Defense Secretary's Salary $1
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.