Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Nations, Church Decry Displays
of Anti-Semitism on Holiday
Nov 13, 2021 3:50 PM CST
Nations, Church Decry Displays of Anti-Semitism on Holiday
Polish nationalists shouted 'Death to Jews' during Independence Day celebrations
- Israeli and Polish government officials on Saturday condemned an antisemitic incident involving Polish nationalists chanting "Death to Jews" on Poland's Independence Day this week. Participants at the gathering also burned a copy of a medieval document that offered Jews protection and rights in Polish lands, the AP reports....
Boy Spirited Away
After Cable Car Crash
Must Be Returned: Court
Nov 12, 2021 1:44 AM CST
Boy Spirited Away After Cable Car Crash Must Be Returned: Court
An arrest warrant was just issued for the boy's grandfather
- An Israeli appeals court has said a 6-year-old boy who survived a cable car crash in Italy must be returned to his relatives there within 15 days, upholding an earlier ruling in a bitter custody battle with family members in Israel, the AP reports. Eitan Biran’s parents and younger...
Hit Record Highs
Nov 11, 2021 10:15 AM CST
COVID Cases Hit Record Highs in Germany, Netherlands
Meanwhile, Austria plans a lockdown for the unvaccinated
- Winter is approaching in Europe—and with it, a return to tighter COVID restrictions, at least for the unvaccinated. Reuters reports that, with strained ICUs and infections at a record high, Austria is planning a lockdown for the unvaccinated. Chancellor Alexander Schallenberg said Thursday that the country is just days...
Arrest Warrant Out for Grandpa
of Boy in Cable Car Crash
Nov 10, 2021 9:55 AM CST
Arrest Warrant Out for Grandpa of Boy in Cable Car Crash
Prosecutors say Eitan Biran was abducted in a 'premeditated strategic plan'
The maternal grandfather of a 6-year-old who survived a May cable car crash that killed his parents and younger brother is now officially in legal hot water. The BBC reports Italy has issued an international arrest warrant for Shmuel Peleg, who's accused of abducting the boy from Italy,...
Amid Lofty Goals,
a More Earthly Snub
Nov 2, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
Amid Lofty Goals, a More Earthly Snub
Israeli minister was shut out of climate meetings because forum wasn't wheelchair accessible
- The world climate summit continues in Scotland, and the coverage of COP26 is wide-ranging. A sample:
The US has formally rejoined a group known as the High Ambition Coalition at the climate talks, reports the
. The group, made up of developed and developing countries, will push for nations
200 Naked People Weren't
at Dead Sea for a Swim
in case you missed it
Oct 23, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
200 Naked People Weren't at Dead Sea for a Swim
Painted and nude, they were part of US artist Spencer Tunick's latest installation on climate change
- It's not uncommon to see people in their swim trunks along the shores of the Dead Sea. What is uncommon is hundreds of naked people in white body paint congregating there, but the hordes that gathered over the weekend weren't there to take a dip in the famous...
Off the Coast of Israel,
a Rare Archaeological Find
Oct 19, 2021 8:07 AM CDT
Off the Coast of Israel, a Rare Archaeological Find
900-year old sword that likely belonged to knight from the Crusades discovered by diver
- Imagine arriving in the Holy Land nearly 1,000 years ago, fired up to yank back the territory from Islamic rule in the name of the pope, and then ... dropping your sword in the sea. That seems to have been the embarrassing scenario for one knight, whose long-lost sword has...
Nixes a Hebrew
of Her Novel
in case you missed it
Oct 16, 2021 7:00 AM CDT
Sally Rooney Nixes a Hebrew Translation of Her Novel
Author's decision is due to her opinion on the Israel-Palestine conflict
- Sally Rooney, an author who's been referred to as "the first great millennial novelist," is making her stance on the Israel-Palestine conflict crystal clear: The 30-year-old won't allow a Hebrew translation of her latest novel. Rooney rejected an offer from Israeli publisher Modan, which published her...
Harris' Staff Goes
to Work After Her
Answer on Israel
Oct 1, 2021 4:50 PM CDT
Harris' Staff Goes to Work After Her Answer on Israel
Vice president didn't contest student's claim about ethnic genocide
- Vice President Kamala Harris had a chance to argue the point made by a college student who asked her about "ethnic genocide" supposedly committed by Israel. But she didn't. That's got her staff scrambling now to reassure allies that her support for Israel remains "consistent and...
Prison Break Is First
of Its Kind in Decades
Sep 7, 2021 12:37 AM CDT
Prison Break Is First of Its Kind in Decades
Manhunt has been launched in Israel
- For the first time in years, Palestinian prisoners have broken out of an Israeli jail. Six men escaped around 1am Monday, the
New York Times
reports. Five of them are Islamist militants, according to the prison service, while the sixth is said to be the former commander of another militant...
Inside Newborn's Large
Tummy: Parts of a Twin
Jul 29, 2021 1:11 PM CDT
Inside Newborn's Large Tummy: Parts of a Twin
It's likely a rare case of 'fetus in fetu' in Israel
- A baby girl born in Israel this month is doing well after surgery to remove what is thought to be at least one embryo from her stomach, likely from a twin she absorbed. When the child's mother arrived at Ashdod's Assuta Medical Center to give birth, "we...
Israel Rolls Out World First:
COVID Booster Shots
Jul 29, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
Israel Rolls Out World First: COVID Booster Shots
They're being offered to people over 60 who received vaccinations 5 months ago
- Israel on Thursday became the first nation to approve COVID booster shots for parts of its population, reports Haaretz . Starting Sunday, anyone in the country older than 60 who received their initial vaccination at least five months ago can get another dose from Pfizer, the nation's main vaccine supplier,...
Olympian Refuses to Face
Jul 24, 2021 6:30 AM CDT
Olympian Refuses to Face Israeli Opponent
Fethi Nourine bowed out rather than face Tohar Butbu
- An Algerian athlete is being sent home from the Tokyo Olympics after refusing to face an Israeli opponent. Fethi Nourine bowed out of men's judo 73K division late Thursday and told Algerian television that his support for the Palestinian people precludes him from facing Tohar Butbul. Per Reuters , Nourine...
Israel PM: Ben & Jerry's Will
Face 'Serious Consequences'
Jul 20, 2021 3:24 PM CDT
Israel PM: Ben & Jerry's Will Face 'Serious Consequences'
Naftali Bennett promises to 'act aggressively' against boycott actions
- Israel's prime minister has warned Ben & Jerry's that there will be "serious consequences, legal and otherwise" for its decision to ban sales of its ice cream in what the company calls "Occupied Palestinian Territory." Naftali Bennett said Tuesday that Israel "will act aggressively...
Israel Has Bad News
for Pfizer Vaccine
Jul 7, 2021 7:26 AM CDT
Israel Has Bad News for Pfizer Vaccine
Its efficacy drops against Delta variant, but it was still 93% effective at preventing severe disease
- Israel's Ministry of Health says the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine isn't offering the same level of protection against COVID-19 now that the Delta variant is dominant. In May, when the Alpha variant dominated Israel, the vaccine was found to be 95.3% effective against infection, per CNN . But in a...
Israel: 'We Are Seeing a
Doubling Every Few Days'
Jun 25, 2021 8:20 AM CDT
Israel: 'We Are Seeing a Doubling Every Few Days'
Country brings back mask requirement just 10 days after it was lifted
- With COVID cases surging, Israel has reimposed a mask mandate in indoor public spaces just 10 days after it was lifted. The country—which had the world's fastest vaccination program and lifted all other restrictions earlier this year—recorded two consecutive days with zero new cases earlier this month,...
Netanyahu Moving Out Weeks
After Being Voted Out
Jun 20, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
Netanyahu Moving Out Weeks After Being Voted Out
Israel has no established protocol for handing over official residence
- Benjamin Netanyahu says he and his family will move out of Israel's official prime minister's residence by July 10, nearly a month after he was ousted from office following a record 12-year reign. That's not nearly soon enough for critics who have long accused the Netanyahus of...
Israel Breaks Ceasefire
Jun 16, 2021 12:05 AM CDT
After Incendiary Balloons Launched, Israel Breaks Ceasefire
The balloons, in turn, were launched from Gaza in response to an Israeli march
- Israeli aircraft carried out a series of airstrikes at militant sites in the Gaza Strip early Wednesday, the first such raids since a shaky cease-fire ended the war with Hamas last month, the AP reports. The airstrikes targeted facilities used by Hamas militants for meetings to plan attacks, the Israeli...
Netanyahu Gets Booted, Then
Makes Seating Faux Pas
Jun 14, 2021 11:18 AM CDT
Netanyahu Gets Booted, Then Makes Seating Faux Pas
He sat down in prime minister's chair after getting booted, though it appears to have been inadvertent
- Israel has a new prime minister , but the old one seems rather resistant to leaving his post. Naftali Bennett officially took over the job on Monday from Benjamin Netanyahu, after the latter's 12-year rule, and the friction surrounding Netanyahu's ouster was apparent. First, there was no traditional handing-over...
Netanyahu's Long Tenure
Officially Over in Israel
Jun 13, 2021 1:40 PM CDT
Netanyahu's Long Tenure Officially Over in Israel
Naftali Bennett will be sworn in Monday morning
- Benjamin Netanyahu is leaving office after 12 straight years, 15 years total. Naftali Bennett's coalition government survived—barely—a confidence vote Sunday, the
New York Times
reports. The Knesset, Israel's parliament, was closely split, with a 60-59 majority favoring Bennett, who will be sworn in as prime minister...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Garland Warns States About Abortion Pills
Collins on Roe Ruling: 'I Feel Misled'
Miner's Surprise Find: 'She's Perfect and She's Beautiful'
Missing at Sea for 11 Days, Va. Couple Emerges
Drought Ruins Crops, Shuts Off Milan's Fountains
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.