Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Jan 5, 2022 5:18 AM CST
Reunion Confuses Emma Watson, Emma Roberts
Mistake has since been corrected
Harry Potter 20th Anniversary: Return to Hogwarts
premiered on HBO Max on New Year's Day, the reunion special confused one of its biggest stars with another actress who has a similar name. During a segment in which Emma Watson, who played Hermione Granger in the movies, talks about...
Dead at 52
Apr 16, 2021 2:40 PM CDT
Peaky Blinders, Harry Potter
Actress Dead at 52
Helen McCrory was married to actor Damian Lewis
- Helen McCrory, a British actress who appeared in three
TV series, and more than 25 plays, has died. Her husband, actor Damian Lewis, made the announcement Friday on Twitter . "I'm heartbroken to announce that after an heroic battle with cancer, the beautiful...
Fan Sites Are
Backing Away From JK Rowling
Jul 3, 2020 4:00 AM CDT
Fan Sites Are Backing Away From JK Rowling
Leaky Cauldron, Mugglenet distance themselves over Rowling's trans views
- Two of the biggest
fan sites are backing far, far away from the
creator thanks to JK Rowling's views on trans people. The Leaky Cauldron and Mugglenet both announced Thursday they won't use the author's photo or link to her website, and they...
JK Rowling to
'Tell Me the
May 22, 2020 1:45 PM CDT
Fan Asks JK Rowling to 'Tell Me the Truth.' So She Did
Author reveals 'true birthplace' of her 'Harry Potter' books: a London apartment
- On Thursday, a
fan implored JK Rowling on Twitter to "tell me the truth"—and she did, with a reveal that may have surprised many readers. CNN notes that the initial tweet included a picture of the Elephant House, a coffeehouse in Edinburgh, Scotland, which has...
Dec 6, 2019 7:18 AM CST
Maggie Smith on
Dame 'didn't really feel I was acting'
- Somebody give a dame a challenge. Legendary British actress Maggie Smith, star of
, says she "didn't really feel I was acting in those things." Smith took home three Emmys, a Golden Globe, and a Screen Actors Guild award for her role as...
Out of Library
Sep 2, 2019 4:45 PM CDT
School Kicks Harry Potter Out of Library
Pastor worries about effects of curses and spells
- After consulting exorcists, a school in Tennessee has pulled the Harry Potter books from its library because of their magical content. In an email, the pastor of St. Edward Catholic School in Nashville said: "These books present magic as both good and evil, which is not true, but in...
Magic Is Lost in New
Harry Potter Spinoff
Nov 16, 2018 11:22 AM CST
Magic Is Lost in New Harry Potter Spinoff
Critics do not like 'Crimes of Grindelwald'
- Early viewers of
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
were told to #ProtectTheSecrets . The directive might've been as much to conceal criticisms as to prevent spoilers, based on what critics are saying. Though the first installment in JK Rowling's Harry Potter spinoff was well-received , the second of five...
Marries US Girlfriend
May 29, 2018 4:06 AM CDT
Star Marries US Girlfriend
Matthew Lewis shares good news on social media
- The man
fans know as Gryffindor wizard Neville Longbottom is now 28 years old—and a married man. British actor Matthew Lewis married American girlfriend Angela Jones, a lifestyle blogger, during a recent trip to Italy, the
reports. He shared a wedding photo on Twitter this week...
Rescues Stranded Family
Oct 15, 2017 1:45 PM CDT
Train Rescues Stranded Family
After losing their canoe, the Cluetts were picked up by the Hogwarts Express
- For one family who found themselves stranded in the Scottish Highlands recently, life became like something out of a movie -- a
movie. Jon and Helen Cluett and their four young children were staying in a small cottage in the remote boggy region of Lochabar when they woke...
Meet Harry Potter
and the Philosophy Class
Sep 10, 2017 8:28 AM CDT
Meet Harry Potter and the Philosophy Class
St. Cloud University offering class focused on the boy wizard
- A Minnesota university is mixing the magical world of Harry Potter into philosophy teachings. St. Cloud State University professor Carolyn Hartz is applying Aristotle's work on friendship to character relationships in JK Rowling's books about the boy wizard, the
St. Cloud Times
reports. The class discusses ethics, logic,...
Mania Is Putting
Wild Owls at Risk in Asia
Aug 15, 2017 9:45 AM CDT
Mania Is Putting Wild Owls at Risk in Asia
Demand for pet 'Hedwigs' has spiked illegal trade
- Families looking to bring the magic of Harry Potter into their homes are causing major problems among wild owls in Asia. A paper chronicling this phenomenon as the “Harry Potter effect” traces the rise in the illegal owl trade since the boy wizard’s film debut, reports the
Here's How the Internet
Jun 26, 2017 6:41 PM CDT
Turns 20. Here's How the Internet Is Celebrating
Facebook, Google getting in on the action
- The first book in JK Rowling's
series was released on June 26, 1997. A roundup of the celebration surrounding the series' 20th anniversary:
Facebook has added a fun "easter egg" for anyone who includes the words "Harry Potter," "Gryffindor," "Slytherin,"
Thieves Make Off With
Harry Potter Prequel
May 12, 2017 7:15 AM CDT
Thieves Make Off With Harry Potter Prequel
Cops asks fans worldwide to be on the lookout
- Police in Britain are asking Harry Potter fans worldwide to be on the lookout for a one-of-a-kind Harry Potter prequel. The untitled 800-word story, handwritten on a card, was stolen during a burglary in Birmingham last month, and police say they are going public in the hope that "the...
Muggle Banks: Cops
Dec 21, 2016 11:03 AM CST
'Harry Potter' Busted Robbing Muggle Banks: Cops
Lookalike suspect in 6 bank robberies arrested
- Washington state police say they've nabbed a suspected bank robber who resembles a certain boy wizard, and who they say has a not-so-magical history of busting into banks. Police and the FBI say Caleb Andrew Dierlam, 20, is the "Harry Potter Bandit" responsible for at least six bank...
An Old Friend Tops Amazon's
Bestselling Books of 2016
Dec 7, 2016 4:31 PM CST
An Old Friend Tops Amazon's Bestselling Books of 2016
'Harry Potter and the Extremely Good-Selling Book'
- Amazon has released its list of the top 20 bestselling books of 2016, a year in which a new
story was released, so the top spot shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. “The power of Potter is still strong, and readers of all ages can’t...
JK Rowling Makes Some
Magic for Young Girl in Aleppo
Nov 23, 2016 2:22 PM CST
JK Rowling Makes Some Magic for Young Girl in Aleppo
The author sent 'Harry Potter' books to the girl in war-torn Syria
- JK Rowling just introduced another child surrounded by daily horrors to the wizarding world. But instead of Harry Potter living under the Dursleys' stairs, it's 7-year-old Bana Alabed living with her family in war-torn Aleppo.The
reports Bana's parents are trying to distract her from the fighting...
Is, Well, Fantastic
Nov 18, 2016 10:59 AM CST
Is, Well, Fantastic
It's 'a rare kind of magic,' say critics
- Thought the Wizarding World only existed in the UK? Not so. Dive into America's magic community circa 1926 in
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
, the first of five planned films in a
spinoff (with JK Rowling as screenwriter) centering on Newt Scamander, the author of...
4 Privet Drive
Could Be Yours
Sep 21, 2016 8:33 AM CDT
Harry Potter's 4 Privet Drive Could Be Yours
Expect visitors (no, not Dumbledore)
- A suburban house that starred onscreen as Harry Potter's childhood home is on the market—complete with a cupboard under the stairs. Fans of the boy wizard will recognize 12 Picket Post Close as 4 Privet Drive, home of Harry's dastardly aunt and uncle, who took Harry in...
Could Make You
Aug 12, 2016 7:05 AM CDT
Typo Could Make You $34K Richer
First edition copy will be sold in November
- It might be time to revisit your old copy of
Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
. A hardcover first edition of the book, published in 1997, is expected to fetch up to $33,700 (or about 4,585 Galleons ) at a Bonhams Fine Books and Manuscripts sale in...
Like Harry Potter? You May
Have Lower Opinion of Trump
Jul 22, 2016 9:28 AM CDT
Like Harry Potter? You May Have Lower Opinion of Trump
'Fictional story may have implications for general election preferences'
- The novel
Uncle Tom's Cabin
was believed to help turn the tide of public opinion away from condoning slavery after it was published in 1852, but even the most popular fictional works today aren't shown to impact political leanings on a mass scale. Now researchers at the University...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
NPR's Supreme Court Story Takes Another Turn
Family Dies in 'Heartbreaking Tragedy' at Canadian Border
Mitch McConnell Contrasts Black Voters, American Voters
British Doctor Visiting US Shot Dead in Bed
Meat Loaf Dead at 74
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.