Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
The Coronavirus Pandemic
Confirmed US cases: 1,831,000+ »
Read our complete coverage here »
Stories 1 - 20 |
Veterans Memorial Vandalized in Boston
'It’s a terrible insult to the Puerto Rican community'
- Police in Boston have promised to find the culprits behind the "cowardly" vandalism of the first monument in the mainland US to Puerto Rican veterans. Police say one stone pillar at the entrance to the Puerto Rican Veterans Memorial was knocked to the ground and the other was dislodged,...
First a Quake, Then the Virus, Now Another Quake
5.5 magnitude temblor hits Puerto Rico, four months after another destroyed hundreds of home
- A 5.5 magnitude earthquake hit near southern Puerto Rico on Saturday, jolting many from their beds on an island where some people still remain in shelters from previous quakes earlier this year. There were no immediate reports of casualties. The US Geological Survey says the quake hit just off...
Disney Gives the World Good Coronavirus News
But sadly the world has its youngest coronavirus case: a newborn
- Amid all the negative COVID-19 stories, a good one from Disney:
will be available for streaming three months earlier than expected, CNN reports. New Disney CEO Bob Chapek says the movie's "powerful themes of perseverance and the importance of family" are "incredibly relevant during this...
As Puerto Rico Again Suffers, an Outrageous Find
A warehouse full of disaster relief supplies from 2017 discovered in island's south
- People in a southern Puerto Rico city discovered a warehouse filled with water, cots, and other unused emergency supplies, then set off a social media uproar Saturday when they broke in to retrieve goods as the area struggles to recover from a strong earthquake. With anger spreading in the US...
5.9 Temblor Hits Quake-Stunned Puerto Rico
Island suffers even further damage
- A magnitude 5.9 quake shook Puerto Rico on Saturday, causing further damage along the island’s southern coast, where previous recent quakes have toppled homes and schools, the AP reports. The US Geological Survey said the 8:54am quake hit 8 miles southeast of Guanica at a shallow depth...
Tsunami Alert Issued After Puerto Rico Earthquake
Island-wide power outage confirmed after 6.5 earthquake
- A 6.5-magnitude earthquake struck Puerto Rico before dawn on Tuesday, the largest in a series of quakes that have struck the US territory in recent days and caused heavy damage in some areas. A tsunami alert was issued for Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands. Puerto Rico's...
Puerto Rico Has Been Shaking Since Dec. 28
The biggest earthquake yet came early Monday
- A 5.8-magnitude quake hit Puerto Rico before dawn Monday, unleashing small landslides, causing power outages, and severely cracking some homes. The 6:32am quake was one of the strongest yet to hit the US territory, which has been shaking since Dec. 28. The quake was followed by a string...
Plea Deal a Possibility in Toddler's Cruise Ship Death
Sam Anello was charged with negligent homicide in the death of Chloe Wiegand
- A plea deal is on the table for the grieving grandfather charged with negligent homicide in the July death of his 18-month-old granddaughter , Chloe Wiegand. The news comes as surveillance video of the toddler's 11-story fall from the open window of a Royal Caribbean cruise ship was leaked to...
Grandpa Who Dropped Toddler From Cruise Ship Breaks Silence
Salvatore Anello says he thought there was glass in front of granddaughter
- For the first time, an Indiana man accused of negligent homicide after his 18-month-old granddaughter fell to her death from a Royal Caribbean cruise ship is speaking publicly. In an interview with CBS News , Salvatore Anello recalls to David Begnaud what happened on that July day in Puerto Rico, when,...
Lawyer: Cruise Ship Video of Toddler's Fall Exonerates Grandpa
Surveillance video is being used as evidence in Indiana man's Puerto Rico trial
- The lawyer for Salvatore Anello says his client thought he was holding his 18-month-old granddaughter, Chloe Wiegand, up to a closed window on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship before she fell to her death in July—and surveillance video of the tragic incident will prove that to be the case....
Grandfather Charged in Toddler's Cruise Ship Death
Salvatore Anello faces manslaughter charge in girl's fall through open window
- The grandfather who'd been holding a toddler before she fell to her death from a Royal Caribbean cruise ship in July is facing a new heartbreak: charges of negligent manslaughter. Prosecutors in Puerto Rico say Salvatore Anello "negligently exposed" 18-month-old Chloe Wiegand, who fell through an open window...
Emergency Meeting Called After Puerto Rico Mass Shooting
6 killed Monday, following the killing of 2 others Sunday
- Puerto Rico's governor called an emergency meeting Tuesday after six people were killed in a mass shooting in a San Juan housing project and gunfire left two people dead a day earlier in the island's north, the AP reports. Automatic weapon fire and screams could be heard in...
Puerto Rico Hit by Strongest Quake in Years
No reports of injuries after 6.0 quake
- A 6.0-magnitude earthquake struck near Puerto Rico late Monday, rousing and scaring many from their sleep in the US territory. The US Geological Survey says the quake struck 49 miles off the island's northwest coast at a shallow depth of 6 miles. Two aftershocks, of 4.7- and...
Dorian to America: Here I Come
The hurricane eyes Florida while building toward Category 3
- For the Caribbean, it was bad but not crushing. For Florida, it's time to worry. That's the gist of Hurricane Dorian news Wednesday after the Category 1 storm caused flooding and power outages across Caribbean islands—including Puerto Rico—and grew closer to a Category 3 while churning...
As Puerto Rico Braces for Dorian, 2 Jabs From Trump
Tropical storm expected to pass over or near the island
- Tropical Storm Dorian is threatening Puerto Rico with a direct hit at near-hurricane force on Wednesday and forecasters say it could strengthen further as it approaches the US mainland. The storm is expected to pass over or near Puerto Rico, with landslides, widespread flooding, and power outages possible in what...
Puerto Rico's New Governor Is Out, 5 Days After Swearing In
High court overturns Pedro Pierluisi as governor
- Puerto Rico's Supreme Court on Wednesday overturned the swearing in of Pedro Pierluisi as the island's governor less than a week ago , clearing the way for Justice Secretary Wanda Vázquez to take up the post after weeks of turmoil. The unanimous ruling said Pierluisi must step aside...
Puerto Rico Has a New Governor, but There Are Already Problems
Some question legitimacy of Pedro Pierluisi, sworn in to replace Ricardo Rossello
- Puerto Rico has a new governor, and his "unbreakable commitment" to the island is "stronger than ever." Those were the words of Pedro Pierluisi, 60, sworn in Friday to the US territory's top spot after a tumultuous month , a rep for the governor's office says,...
Puerto Rico Governor Names His Possible Successor
Whether Pedro Pierluisi will be approved by legislators remains to be seen
- Puerto Rico's governor says he's chosen former Congress representative Pedro Pierluisi as the US territory's secretary of state. That post would put Pierluisi in line to take over as governor when Ricardo Rosselló steps down this week—but he's unlikely to be approved by legislators, reports...
Next in Line for Puerto Rico Governor: Not Gonna Happen
Justice Secretary Wanda Vázquez says she's not interested
- The woman who is supposed to replace Puerto Rico's embattled governor announced Sunday that she doesn't want the job as the US territory reels from political crisis, the AP reports. Justice Secretary Wanda Vázquez says in a Twitter post that she hopes Gov. Ricardo Rosselló will appoint...
Puerto Rico's Next Governor Has Her Own Challenges
Wanda Vázquez could see her term complicated by criticism
- The woman set to become Puerto Rico's next governor—and just its second female governor—has been criticized for her reluctance to confront problems in Gov. Ricardo Rosselló's administration during her nearly two years as the territory's top law enforcement official. That criticism is likely to...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Ben & Jerry's 'Just Put All Corporate Statements to Shame'
Last Pension Tied to Civil War Has Been Paid Out
Fauci Has Good News, Not as Good News on Vaccine
After Post About Looters, Law & Order Writer Out of a Job
In 'Major Upset,' Steve King Is Out
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
Newser In Your Inbox
Get The Morning 8: The eight stories you need to know, bright and early.
View all Newsletters and sign up
Get our apps
Suggest a Story
© 2020 Newser, LLC. All rights reserved.
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.