Thirty under 30? Pshaw. Slate offers up its annual 80 Over 80, a list of politicians, industry leaders, and other icons who also happen to be really old, ranked in order of power and importance. The top five:
- Thomas S. Monson: The Mormon president, 83, acts as divine prophet for 5.5 million Americans—and a total of more than 12 million around the globe.
- Daniel Inouye: The senior senator from Hawaii, 86, is three heartbeats away from the presidency.
- Warren Buffett: The billionaire philanthropist, 80, came in second on Forbes’ 2010 list of the richest Americans.
- George Soros: The investor, 80, ranked as the world’s second-biggest philanthropist last year.
- Clint Eastwood: The actor, director, and producer, 80, has been involved in quite a few Oscar-nominated projects of late, and plans to direct until he’s 100 or older.
for the complete list, which includes some octogenarians who have fallen to a lower spot this year—like Helen Thomas
. (Read more Helen Thomas