X

33 Injured in Kenya Blast

Al-Shabab has threatened such an attack in the past
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted May 28, 2012 1:45 PM CDT

(Newser) – An explosion ripped through a building full of small shops in downtown Nairobi today, injuring at least 33 people, including a woman who blamed the blast on a "bearded man" who left behind a bag shortly before the detonation. Police officials first indicated the explosion could have been caused by some sort of electrical malfunction but the prime minister said it was deliberate. Al-Shabab—an Islamist militant group from Somalia—has threatened to carry out such an attack.

story continues below

Al-Shabab's threat to carry out large-scale attacks here followed Kenya's decision last October to send troops into Somalia to pursue the Islamist militants. Kenya said back then that it was sending in the troops as a response to kidnappings on Kenyan soil last year blamed on al-Shabab. The kidnappings caused tourism in Kenya to plummet, especially around the coastal resort of Lamu. Since October, a series of grenade attacks has rocked Kenya. (Read more Kenya stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
X