Forbes called around to travel experts to get a sense of the "coolest places" to visit in 2018 and came away with far-flung locales such as Bolivia and Cambodia. But also making the list is a specific US location—Asheville, North Carolina. The city has a thriving arts scene, a lovely backdrop with the Blue Ridge Mountains, and plenty to see around town, from mansions to a botanical gardens. In short, it "is at once hipster and classic Americana" says one travel industry expert. A sample of the other picks:
- Bolivia: "A country on the verge" that is enjoying a new reputation as a hot spot for foodies.
- Cambodia: 2018 could be a big year for this country, home to stunning beaches and new luxury hotels.
- Chad: Tourism is almost non-existent right now, but Zakouma National Park, home to a conservation success story in the form of elephants, could change that.
- Milan: Long considered a stopover on the way to grander destinations, Milan is now a destination in its own right as a "design mecca."
- Northern Brazil: This part of the country has traditionally been hard to reach, but new fight routes are opening up.
Click for the full list
of 15 and more details on the locales. (Read more Travel