Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
New Twist on Travel:
Aug 6, 2023 1:55 PM CDT
New Twist on Travel: Mystery Trips
Destination is not revealed until the day of departure
- Travel planning can be a real chore. Booking flights, deciding on the right hotel, and building an itinerary might be fun for some, but others dread it. In an article syndicated to the AP , NerdWallet writer Sam Kemmis writes this is why some travelers are opting for an unorthodox travel...
Please Stop Traveling
Jul 11, 2023 4:24 PM CDT
Please Stop Traveling to Antarctica
Sara Clemence makes her case in the 'Atlantic'
- In the first part of her essay on Antarctica, Sara Clemence recounts its "otherworldly" beauty. But that's merely a prelude to a plea she then issues: Everybody should stop traveling there before the increasingly fragile continent is wrecked irreparably. In the
piece, she notes that Antarctica drew...
It's Hot in Europe, and
We're Traveling Differently
Jul 9, 2023 5:00 PM CDT
It's Hot in Europe, and We're Traveling Differently
The summer tourism trade is heating up in Scandinavia
- As summers in Europe grow hotter, tourists are rethinking their travel plans, reports
. Spain reportedly already broke records for heat and dry weather in April, and Southern Europe in general is dealing with the same dilemma. According to Travel Weekly , climate change data predicts temperatures in the region will...
US Cities With
Worst Hotel Reviews
Jul 1, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
US Cities With Worst Hotel Reviews
PlanetWare gives the unwanted top honor to Myrtle Beach
- The travel site PlanetWare is out with rankings that no chamber of commerce in the country wants to be on: US cities with the worst hotels. The site pored over online reviews at Tripadvisor (which isn't affiliated with the rankings) to figure out which cities get consistently lousy assessments...
You Might Want to Start
Planning Now for 2024 Eclipse
Jun 18, 2023 3:35 PM CDT
You Might Want to Start Planning Now for 2024 Eclipse
Total solar eclipse next April cuts across 13 US states
calls "one of nature's grandest spectacles"—a total solar eclipse—is slated to sweep across North America on April 8, 2024, from Mexico to Eastern Canada. According to CNN and
, it's a not-to-be-missed phenomenon for sky watchers as the moon slides in front...
10 Busiest Airports in the World
Apr 6, 2023 12:26 PM CDT
10 Busiest Airports in the World
Atlanta stays on top
- Atlanta's airport is the busiest in the world for the second straight year and third of the last four, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport lost its title briefly during the weird travel days of the pandemic but has since returned to the top. The new...
The List of Every Place
on Earth Just Got Bigger
Mar 18, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
The List of Every Place on Earth Just Got Bigger
The 'Most Traveled People' group ups the count to 1.5K
- Quick: Name how many countries and territories one could visit on Earth. If your guess was in the hundreds, you're already way off, at least according to the "Most Traveled People" (MTP) community. MTP was founded by Charles Veley after he tried and failed to have Guinness World...
10 'Coolest' Neighborhoods
in the World
Oct 16, 2022 9:09 AM CDT
10 'Coolest' Neighborhoods in the World
Time Out puts 2 spots in the US in top echelon
- It's a little subjective, but Time Out has come up with the "coolest neighborhoods" in the world to visit. Colonia Americana in Mexico tops the list, and two places in the US—the Ridgewood neighborhood of New York City and Barrio Logan in San Diego—crack the top...
This Is the Least-Visited
National Park in America
Feb 22, 2022 4:37 PM CST
This Is the Least-Visited National Park in America
Gates of the Arctic National Park & Preserve in Alaska is where you can head for some solitude
- Looking to avoid crowds while visiting a national park? A CNN travel story highlights the 15 least-visited parks in the nation, with Alaska's Gates of the Arctic National Park & Preserve topping the list. It logs only about 7,000 visits each year, largely because visitors must fly there,...
This Is the Safest
City for Travelers
Sep 17, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
This Is the Safest City for Travelers
Copenhagen is No. 1 in new ranking by the 'Economist'
is out with its annual ranking of "safe cities" in which to travel, and the top spot is occupied by Copenhagen for the first time. Typically, an Asian city has been No. 1, notes CNN . Crime obviously factors into the rankings, but the Safe Cities Index 2021...
EU: Time to Close Doors
to US Travelers
Aug 30, 2021 12:17 PM CDT
EU: Time to Close Doors to US Travelers
European Union recommends member nations ban non-essential travel
- American tourists have been able to fly to Europe throughout the summer, but it will likely become more difficult to get those flights in the near future. The European Union on Monday recommended that its 27 member nations ban non-essential travel from the US, reports the
Wall Street Journal
Hawaii Is Just Not Up
for Visitors Right Now
Aug 24, 2021 1:57 PM CDT
Hawaii Is Just Not Up for Visitors Right Now
Governor stops short of banning travel, but says 'it's not a good time'
- Summer is winding down. The weather is cooling. Students are getting ready to go back to school. Doesn’t it sound like a great time to squeeze in a little vacation, maybe a trip to Hawaii? Guess again. "It’s not a good time to travel to the islands,...
Woman in Tonga for Weekend
Ends Up Trapped For 18 Months
Aug 22, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Woman in Tonga for Weekend Ends Up Trapped For 18 Months
She's not that upset about it
- A British woman is telling her story of a weekend trip to the South Pacific that has now stretched on for some 18 months. It'll come as no surprise that COVID is to blame for what Zoe Stephens dubs "the longest weekend of my life," but the...
CDC's Thanksgiving Travel
Advice Is Pretty Simple
Nov 19, 2020 12:25 PM CST
CDC's Thanksgiving Travel Advice Is Pretty Simple
Just don't do it, says health agency in new advisory
- The CDC's new advice for Thanksgiving travelers can be summed up in two words: Stay home. The federal health agency "is recommending against travel during the Thanksgiving period," CDC coronavirus official Dr. Henry Walke said Thursday, per CNBC . He said the agency is alarmed by the "...
Staying 6 Feet Apart Is
No Way to Travel: Steves
in case you missed it
Jun 27, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
Staying 6 Feet Apart Is No Way to Travel: Steves
Host is off the road for the first summer in 30 years
- For the first summer in 30 years, Rick Steves is home instead of savoring Europe. It's an adjustment. He doesn't know what's next for travel after the pandemic any more than the rest of us do, he told the
in an interview. But he knows...
Beware of This
Feb 8, 2020 3:00 PM CST
When Traveling, Beware of This
Experts warn against using public USB charging stations
- Travel much? You may already know not to fire up your devices on free USB public charging stations, but if not, here's the warning: "Depending on the vulnerability they exploit, they would have access to everything you would have access to on your phone," cybersecurity pro Jim...
Huge Airlift Planned
for 600K Travelers
Sep 22, 2019 4:50 PM CDT
Huge Airlift Planned for 600K Travelers
Debt-laden Thomas Cook is teetering on the edge
- More than 600,000 vacationers who booked through tour operator Thomas Cook were on edge Sunday, wondering if they will be able to get home, as one of the world's oldest and biggest travel companies teetered on the edge of collapse. The debt-laden company, which confirmed Friday it was...
US Woman Becomes
Youngest Person Ever
to Visit All 196 Countries
Jun 4, 2019 6:32 PM CDT
US Woman Becomes Youngest Person Ever to Visit All 196 Countries
Lexie Alford is in the process of confirming Guinness World Record
- Lexie Alford entered North Korea on Friday and achieved a "lifelong dream": visiting all 196 countries. And at just 21, she is slated to break the current Guinness World Record for youngest person to accomplish it; the current record-holder was 24 when he achieved the same feat. "...
These Amtrak Passengers Are
Having a Really Bad Journey
Feb 26, 2019 6:03 AM CST
These Amtrak Passengers Are Having a Really Bad Journey
Train in remote Oregon hit a tree Sunday, and they may be there until Tuesday
- Nearly 200 people aboard an Amtrak train now have everyone else beat when it comes to tales about travel nightmares. Their train hit a downed tree in remote Oregon on Sunday evening, and all aboard—183 passengers, plus the crew—will likely be stuck there until Tuesday morning, reports the...
Massive Data Breach
Nov 30, 2018 7:26 AM CST
Marriott Reveals Massive Data Breach
Information on 500M Starwood customers is exposed
- Bad news for anyone who has stayed at a Starwood brand hotel, which includes big names like Westin and Sheraton, in the last few years: Hackers may have your data, including credit card information. Marriott said Friday that up to 500 million customers under its Starwood Hotel umbrella have been...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Pentagon: US Ships Were Attacked in Red Sea
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Your Walking Speed Affects Health Benefits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.