She Lit What She Thought Was a Candle. It Was Dynamite

Connecticut woman suffers severe hand injuries during power shortage
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted Sep 7, 2018 2:32 PM CDT
Looking for a Candle, She Found Dynamite

Authorities say a Connecticut woman mistook a stick of dynamite for a candle during a power outage and suffered severe hand injuries, the AP reports. Assistant Bridgeport Fire Chief Michael Caldaroni says the woman was looking to light a candle in her home about 9:30pm Thursday after the power went out during a storm. The dynamite went off in the woman's hand.

One of her children called 911 and she was taken to the hospital. No one else was injured in the blast, which blew out one of the home's windows. Firefighters found another explosive device in the home and as a precaution, evacuated people in the homes on either side of the woman's residence and called the state police bomb squad to remove it. The woman's name wasn't released.

(Read more Connecticut stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.
Get the news faster.
Tap to install our app.
Install the Newser News app
in two easy steps:
1. Tap in your navigation bar.
2. Tap to Add to Home Screen.