X

CNN Sues Trump, Sanders Over Acosta Controversy

Network wants a judge to restore his press credentials
By John Johnson,  Newser Staff
Posted Nov 13, 2018 8:41 AM CST
President Trump speaks to CNN journalist Jim Acosta during a news conference in the East Room of the White House, Wednesday, Nov. 7, 2018, in Washington.   (AP Photo/Evan Vucci)

(Newser) – CNN has sued the White House over last week's controversy involving reporter Jim Acosta. The White House revoked Acosta's press credentials after he rebuffed an intern who was trying to take his mic away as the reporter peppered President Trump with questions. Now the network wants a judge to intervene and restore his credentials, reports the Washington Post. The White House accused Acosta of "placing his hands" on the female intern, and Acosta accused the White House of distorting what happened. Controversy also erupted over video of the incident.

“We have asked this court for an immediate restraining order requiring the pass be returned to Jim,” said a network statement. "If left unchallenged, the actions of the White House would create a dangerous chilling effect for any journalist who covers our elected officials," it added, per Politico. The development comes after renowned First Amendment lawyer Floyd Abrams floated the idea of a lawsuit over the weekend on CNN. "I think it's a really strong lawsuit," said Abrams. The suit names six defendants: Trump, chief of staff John Kelly, press chief Sarah Sanders, deputy chief of staff for communications Bill Shine, Secret Service director Joseph Clancy, and an unnamed Secret Service officer who took the physical pass from Acosta. (The reporter once clashed with Stephen Miller, too.)

My Take on This Story
Show results  |  
8%
4%
3%
38%
2%
45%