There have been some pretty questionable Best Picture winners at the Oscars over the years—like that time Shakespeare in Love beat out Saving Private Ryan, or Crash was chosen over Brokeback Mountain. But what are the best Best Picture honorees of all time? USA Today is out with a Top 10, while Vulture ranks all 90 winners from worst to best. USAT's top five, along with how they rank on Vulture's list:
- The Godfather (1972): While the mobster epic grabs the top spot on USAT's list, it's No. 2 on Vulture's.
- Casablanca (1942): USAT's No. 2 pick is tops on Vulture's list.
- Schindler's List (1993): But Vulture doesn't list the Holocaust tale until No. 7.
- On the Waterfront (1954): The Marlon Brando classic comes in No. 5 on Vulture's list.
- All About Eve (1950): The Bette Davis flick is Vulture's No. 3 pick.
So what was in Vulture's top 5 that wasn't in USAT
's? The Godfather Part II
at No. 4. See Vulture's full list here
, or the rest of USAT
's top 10 here
, or go to the next page for the five worst
Best Picture winners.