GOP Ready to Make Its Move Against Schiff - Page 2
But push to censure expected to fail in the House Monday evening
Posted Oct 21, 2019 2:41 PM CDT
- Backlash: Trump and GOP critics immediately pounced on Schiff's paraphrasing of the call and accused him of exaggerating what Trump said. Schiff later said his summary "was meant to be at least part in parody. The fact that's not clear is a separate problem in and of itself." GOP Rep. Andy Biggs introduced the resolution to censure Schiff on Oct. 15. (Here is what Trump actually said on the call.)
- Now what: Republicans are expected to try to force a vote on censure Monday, but a Politico Playbook item predicts the measure won't even get an up-or-down vote. Democrats will move to table it, and the vote will be on whether to table, not whether to censure. "This is almost certainly going to be tabled on party lines, and then, that’s it. Republicans can, however, bring this up again, if they want."
- The symbolic win: In a Washington Post analysis, Amber Phillips writes that Schiff made an "unforced political error" with his parody. Why not just quote what Trump actually said? "Perhaps most useful to Trump is that this censure resolution has become a way for his defenders to create a villain in this impeachment inquiry out of someone who otherwise is not necessarily a household name."
- Pushing the message: On Fox News Monday, Republican Biggs said the point is to "make sure that the American people understand what Adam Schiff is doing is not the normal way that you conduct an impeachment inquiry," per Fox. "He's kind of poisoned the well there." Trump, meanwhile, continued his criticism as well. "Censure (at least) Corrupt Adam Schiff! After what he got caught doing, any pol who does not so vote cannot be honest....are you listening Dems?" he tweeted.
- Pelosi fact sheet: Also Monday, Nancy Pelosi released a fact sheet rehashing key points of the impeachment. Read it here, via the Hill. Among other things, she accuses Trump of a "pressure campaign" on Ukraine and of a related "cover up."
(Read more Adam Schiff
My Take on This Story
Show results |