X

WHO: Report on Phone Call Was 'Unfounded and Untrue'

The World Health Organization fires back over 'Der Spiegel' article
By Newser Editors and Wire Services
Posted May 10, 2020 1:20 PM CDT

(Newser) – The World Health Organization has dismissed as "false allegations" a media report that it withheld information about the new coronavirus following pressure from China, the AP reports. The UN agency said in a statement late Saturday that a German magazine’s report about a telephone conversation between WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus and Chinese President Xi Jinping on Jan. 21 was "unfounded and untrue." Weekly Der Spiegel reported that Xi asked Tedros during the call to hold back information about human-to-human transmission of the virus and delay declaring a pandemic. The magazine quoted Germany's foreign intelligence agency, the BND, which declined to comment Sunday.

Der Spiegel also claimed that the BND concluded up to six weeks of time to fight the outbreak had been lost due to China’s information policy. The UN agency said Tedros and Xi "have never spoken by phone” and added that "such inaccurate reports distract and detract" from the fight against the pandemic. It said that China confirmed human-to-human transmission of the new coronavirus on Jan. 20. WHO officials issued a statement two days later saying there was evidence of human-to-human transmission in Wuhan, but more investigation was necessary. The global body declared COVID-19 a pandemic on March 11. President Trump has been among the strongest critics of WHO’s handling of the pandemic, accusing it of deference to China and ceasing payments to the agency.

(Read more World Health Organization stories.)

We use cookies. By Clicking "OK" or any content on this site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. Read more in our privacy policy.