As Barack Obama prepares for an appearance at Lollapalooza this weekend, Radar revisits odd moments when music invaded the political arena. Sometimes scary, sometimes silly, but always strange, here are some highlights:
- Elvis and Nixon: The King visited the White House and offered to help in the fight against drugged-out hippie culture. He even got his very own DEA badge.
- Harry and the critics: Truman once fired off an angry note to a reviewer who panned daughter Margaret's singing, warning him he'd need a "new nose" and a "supporter below" if they ever met.
- Willie and Jimmy: Rumor has it that Willie Nelson toked up at the White House with Carter's sons. The ex-president and singer laugh off the rumor but don't exactly deny it.
- Mudhoney and Bill Clinton: Our hippest president asked of the visiting Seattle band: "Now, who are these Mudhonies, and are they popular with the MTV?"
- John McCain and Nine Inch Nails: In 1999, the senator gushed about NIN and Trent Reznor. Later, when presented with some lyrics, he professed to be joking.
For the full 10 list, click the link below. (Read more lists