Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Comes to DoorDash
Nov 30, 2022 2:25 PM CST
The Bloodletting Comes to DoorDash
More than 1K corporate employees were laid off Wednesday
- DoorDash shares are down more than 60% for the year but saw a bump on Wednesday after the company announced it was axing 1,250 corporate employees as a cost-cutting measure. CNBC reports it had 8,600 such employees at the end of last year; the AP reports the cuts...
AMC Networks Is Having
a Rough Day
Nov 29, 2022 11:38 AM CST
AMC Networks Is Having a Rough Day
CEO Christina Spade leaves after 3 months as network announces layoffs
- A surprise in the world of cable TV on Tuesday: AMC Networks CEO Christina Spade stepped down after less than three months on the job, reports CNBC . Neither Spade nor the network gave a specific reason, but the company announced large-scale layoffs soon after the announcement was made, per the...
Amazon's Mass Layoffs
Will Extend Into Next Year
Nov 18, 2022 12:04 AM CST
Amazon's Mass Layoffs Will Extend Into Next Year
Company's workforce has doubled to 1.5M since 2019
- Amazon's mass layoffs did indeed begin this week, CNN reports, and the company's CEO sent a note to employees Thursday saying they will extend into next year. "I’ve been in this role now for about a year and a half, and without a doubt, this is...
For First Time,
Nov 7, 2022 6:23 AM CST
For First Time, Zuckerberg Readies Mass Layoffs
Meta, parent of Facebook, will reportedly lay off thousands of people this week
- Twitter employees aren't the only tech staffers facing a bleak November : Facebook parent company Meta is expected to announce its biggest wave of layoffs since Mark Zuckerberg founded it in 2004, reports the
New York Times
. The numbers are unclear, but
Wall Street Journal
predicts "many thousands" of...
2 Struggling Businesses
Announce Major Layoffs
Aug 31, 2022 12:27 PM CDT
2 Struggling Businesses Announce Major Layoffs
Bed Bath & Beyond is closing 150 stores, while Snap is discontinuing several apps
- Two struggling companies announced major job cuts and other restructuring moves Wednesday—and their stock prices moved in opposite directions.
Bed Bath & Beyond
. The retailer, known for its 20% off coupons, said it would cut its corporate and supply chain workforce by 20%, and its stock plunged 20% in
Ford Announces 3K Layoffs
Aug 22, 2022 12:07 PM CDT
Ford Announces 3K Layoffs
Company trims white-collar jobs as part of transition to electric vehicles
- Ford Motor Co. is cutting about 3,000 white-collar jobs as it attempts to lower costs and make the transition from internal combustion to electric vehicles, per the AP . Leaders of the automaker made the announcement Monday in a companywide email, saying that 2,000 full-time salaried workers would be...
Selfie a Symptom
of 'Banal' LinkedIn
Aug 12, 2022 3:53 PM CDT
CEO's Teary Selfie a Symptom of 'Banal' LinkedIn
'Everyone's personal anecdotes sound like TED Talks for robots,' Slate's Shannon Palus writes
- The head of a social media marketing company recently took some flak for posting a "vulnerable" picture on LinkedIn , showing him in tears as he relayed how he had to lay off some of his workers. Braden Wallake has since issued an apology of sorts for his post as...
Robinhood Has More
Bad News for Its Employees
Aug 3, 2022 11:15 AM CDT
Robinhood Has More Bad News for Its Employees
After slashing 9% of workforce earlier this year, CEO Tenev announces another 23% has to go
- Robinhood Markets said Tuesday it's cutting nearly a quarter of its workforce, as crashing cryptocurrency prices and a turbulent stock market keep more customers off its trading app. CEO Vlad Tenev said the company, whose easy-to-use app helped bring a new generation of investors to the market, will reduce...
Google Workers Fret After
Ominous Words From CEO
Aug 1, 2022 6:38 AM CDT
Google Workers Fret After Ominous Words From CEO
Pichai warns that productivity is lacking, company isn't 'immune to economic headwinds'
- It's been a worrisome few weeks for Google, as profits dipped for the second quarter in a row and hiring was temporarily paused. Now, CEO Sundar Pichai has put out an alert to employees, seeking ideas to boost efficiency and up productivity and warning of an economy that doesn'...
Workers in One Sector Are
Seeing Lots of Layoffs
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 11, 2022 12:05 PM CDT
Workers in One Sector Are Seeing Lots of Layoffs
The post-pandemic economy isn't turning out the way some investors hoped
- Overall, the US job market remains strong, according to the Labor Department’s latest jobs report, which shows US employers added 428,000 jobs in May amid record-high job openings. Meanwhile, per Reuters, layoffs and unemployment claims remain far below levels that might signal an economic downturn. "A low...
Netflix Lays Off
May 17, 2022 5:54 PM CDT
Netflix Lays Off Another 150, Including Directors
Company is dealing with subscriber loss for the first time
- The hits keep coming at Netflix. After announcing last month that it had lost subscribers, the streaming service laid off employees in animation and at its Tudum website. Content has been cut, with projects in the works being canceled. On Monday, 150 more employees were laid off, per Vulture . "...
Netflix Layoffs Begin
on Its Tudum Website
Apr 28, 2022 4:48 PM CDT
Netflix Layoffs Begin on Its Tudum Website
Employees fear more cuts are ahead after subscriber loss
- Not five months ago, Netflix launched Tudum, an editorial website to supply consumers with original content about its programming. On Thursday, the layoffs began, with about 10 full-time employees and contractors sent on their way, per the
. In between, Netflix announced a major loss of subscribers . The company...
Workers Find Out
They're Laid Off Via
Mar 8, 2022 4:36 PM CST
Workers Find Out They're Laid Off Via Computer Error
Better.com employees saw severance payment in payroll app
- When Better.com CEO Vishal Garg abruptly informed 900 employees they were being laid off during a Zoom call in December, critics called the approach callous and said the mortgage company could have done better. With the latest round of layoffs, the startup actually did worse, workers tell the Daily...
CEO Who Fired
Zoom Is Back:
'Everyone Is Upset'
Jan 19, 2022 9:25 AM CST
CEO Who Fired Workers on Zoom Is Back: 'Everyone Is Upset'
Vishal Garg back in Better.com driver's seat after backlash over laying off 900 staffers last month
- Vishal Garg has apparently taken all the time he needed to think about what made him decide to pink-slip 900 Better.com workers last month on a short Zoom call. Per a Tuesday memo to staff from the company's board of directors, the embattled founder and CEO is back...
CEO Who Fired
Zoom Is Taking
Dec 11, 2021 6:02 AM CST
CEO Who Fired Workers Over Zoom Is Taking Time Off
Better.com's board made the announcement about Vishal Garg internally on Friday
The CEO who shot to infamy last week after opting to fire 900 workers during a brief Zoom call is "taking time off." The board of mortgage lender Better.com announced in an internal email on Friday that Vishal Garg would be taking a break "effective...
CEO's 'Cold' Zoom
Call: 'I Come to
You With Not
Dec 6, 2021 7:24 AM CST
CEO's 'Cold' Zoom Call: 'I Come to You With Not Great News'
Better.com's Vishal Garg laid off 900 employees in video conference right before holidays
- Mortgage lender startup Better.com markets itself as combining technology with a human touch to help make the homeownership process "friendly and enjoyable," but that's not how most employees would describe the Zoom call they attended with the company's billionaire CEO last Thursday. In what
Disney Says 32K Will
Lose Jobs by March
Nov 26, 2020 12:31 PM CST
Disney Says 32K Will Lose Jobs by March
Company announces another 4K layoffs
- More bad news from Disney: The company announced in a Thanksgiving Eve filing that it plans to lay off 32,000 workers by March of next year, 4,000 more than previously announced . Most of the laid-off workers will be employees at the company's theme parks in Florida and...
Nov 5, 2020 4:24 PM CST
ESPN Announces Big Layoffs
300 to lose jobs as network hasn't recovered from 4 months without games
- When the pandemic hit, ESPN was left with hardly any games to show for four months. Sports is back, but ratings and advertising still lag. Now the other shoe has dropped for employees of the cable network. The company is laying off 300 people and not filling another 200 jobs,...
Mass Layoffs at Airlines:
'It Didn't Have to Be This Way'
Oct 1, 2020 7:26 AM CDT
Mass Layoffs at Airlines: 'It Didn't Have to Be This Way'
Tens of thousands of furloughs at American, United after deadline for Congress deal passes
- Nineteen thousand workers at American Airlines and 13,000 at United are getting bad news this week, and they may not be the only ones. The
Wall Street Journal
reports the two airlines are laying off tens of thousands of employees after Congress was unable to OK a coronavirus relief...
2 More Companies
Aug 28, 2020 1:19 PM CDT
2 More Companies Announce Layoffs
MGM Resorts and Coca-Cola join the list
- Two more big companies announced layoffs on Friday:
will lay off 18,000 people as the casino industry struggles to recover. That represents about a quarter of the company's American workforce of 68,000 before the pandemic took hold, reports the
Wall Street Journal
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
After Serving 8 Years, Infomercial Pitchman Could Be Jailed Again
A Sleeping Giant Awakes, With Plenty of Spectators
Protesters Cheered Iran's World Cup Exit. Then Bullets Rained
On First Day in US, a Surprise Event for William and Kate
Cops Issue 'Clarification' on Murder of Idaho Students
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.