Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Consumer Product Safety Commission
Stories 1 - 20 |
Another Warning on Infant
Rockers After 14 Babies Die
Jun 15, 2022 12:00 AM CDT
Another Warning on Infant Rockers After 14 Babies Die
CPSC warns about Fisher-Price Infant-to-Toddler Rocker, Newborn-to-Toddler Rocker
- Parents are being warned once again about infant rockers after the deaths of at least 14 babies while using them. At least 13 babies have died over the last 12 years while using the Fisher-Price Infant-to-Toddler Rocker or Newborn-to-Toddler Rocker, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission , and one other...
Fisher-Price Didn't Heed
Rock 'n Play Warnings.
50 Babies Died
Jun 8, 2021 2:03 AM CDT
Fisher-Price Didn't Heed Rock 'n Play Warnings. 50 Babies Died
New report comes to damning conclusion on inclined sleeper
- On the heels of the latest Fisher-Price recall comes a damning report from a congressional oversight committee about the company's 2019 recall of the Rock 'n Play Sleeper . Fisher-Price and parent company Mattel ignored multiple warnings that the product was dangerous, the Committee on Oversight and Reform found...
After Child's Death,
Mar 18, 2021 5:08 PM CDT
After Child's Death, Peloton Issues a Warning
Keep children and pets away from treadmills and other equipment, Peloton advises
- Peloton has advised treadmill owners to be careful after a child was killed in an accident involving its Tread+ product. "While we are aware of only a small handful of incidents involving the Tread+ where children have been hurt, each one is devastating to all of us at Peloton,...
The Qualified Warnings End:
Just Don't Use Inclined Sleepers
Nov 3, 2019 11:01 AM CST
The Qualified Warnings End: Just Don't Use Inclined Sleepers
Number of infants who suffocated leaps
- Federal regulators have moved past warning about specific models of inclined sleepers for infants and now say to just not use them at all—any of them. The danger of suffocation is too great. In April, when Fisher-Price’s Rock 'n Play was recalled , the Consumer Product Safety Commission...
Agency Warns Parents
on Infant Sleeper
Apr 6, 2019 11:15 AM CDT
Agency Warns Parents on Infant Sleeper
Child able to roll over is at risk
- The Consumer Product Safety Commission says infants older than 3 months, or those who can roll over, should not use Fisher-Price Rock 'n Plays because of multiple deaths, the AP reports. The agency and Fisher-Price parent Mattel Inc. said Friday they are aware of at least 10 infant deaths...
Boy Scouts Neckerchief
Sep 28, 2018 10:37 AM CDT
Boy Scouts Neckerchief Sliders Recalled
About 110,000, due to lead content
- Part of the Boy Scout oath is to keep oneself physically strong, meaning Scouts should heed uniform-related news out of the Consumer Product Safety Commission: Fox News reports about 110,000 brass neckerchief sliders have been recalled due to lead content. "The colored enamel on the neckerchief slides contains...
With 8 Children Now Dead,
Ikea Relaunches Dresser Recall
Nov 21, 2017 9:55 AM CST
With 8 Children Now Dead, Ikea Relaunches Dresser Recall
7 of the deaths occurred since 2002
- Ikea relaunched a recall of 29 million chests and dressers Tuesday after the death of an eighth child. The death of a California toddler, who was found trapped underneath an Ikea Malm dresser in May, has raised questions about whether Ikea has effectively spread the word about the recall, which...
Target Won't Take
'Not Safe' Fidget
Spinners Off Shelves
Nov 9, 2017 9:25 AM CST
Target Won't Take 'Not Safe' Fidget Spinners Off Shelves
US PIRG report says the toys have high lead levels; Target says they're not kids' products
- A maker of one of the hottest products of the year has just found itself in a bucket of hot water. According to a consumer advocacy group, two fidget spinners supplied to Target by Iowa-based Bulls-i-Toy contain lead at up to 330 times the federal legal limit for toys. Inspired...
Easter Toys That
Could Expand in
Apr 14, 2017 7:13 AM CDT
Target Recalls Easter Toys That Could Expand in Kids' Stomachs
CPSC issues pullback of 560K 'Hatch & Grow Easter Eggs'
- No injuries have been reported yet, but some parents will have to alter their gift-giving plans after Target pulled back more than half a million Easter toys it says could be hazardous and even life-threatening for kids, NBC News reports. A Consumer Product Safety Commission "Fast Track" recall was...
Cuisinart Recalls 8M Food
Processors Over 20-Year Span
Dec 13, 2016 10:02 AM CST
Cuisinart Recalls 8M Food Processors Over 20-Year Span
Recall warns of blade damage that could cause tiny metal pieces to fall into food
- You may have to temporarily eat your tuna salad in chunks rather than pulverized to a fine pulp if you own one of the 8 million food processors Cuisinart is recalling. Per CBS News , the voluntary pullback involves processors sold for the past 20 years (from 1996 to 2015), and...
2.8M Bottles of Craft Paint
Recalled for Possible Bacteria
Oct 6, 2016 6:58 AM CDT
2.8M Bottles of Craft Paint Recalled for Possible Bacteria
Sargent Art warns people with weak immune systems could be at risk
- No injuries or illnesses have yet been reported, but Sargent Art isn't taking any chances after finding that 13 different types of its craft paint may be contaminated with a harmful bacteria, Consumerist reports. Per a notice on the art supplier's site and one from the Consumer Product...
Samsung Has a
Sep 28, 2016 10:34 AM CDT
Samsung Has a New Exploding Product: CPSC
Top-loading washing machine could be a problem, per consumer safety group
- Samsung isn't having a great year. First there was a worldwide recall for millions of its new smartphones after some caught fire; then the company was accused of messing up that recall . Now a warning has been issued by the Consumer Product Safety Commission about some of its top-loading...
Ikea Recalls 29M
After 6 Child Deaths
Jun 28, 2016 7:00 AM CDT
Ikea Recalls 29M Chests, Dressers After 6 Child Deaths
Refunds, store credit being offered for dangerous furniture that can tip
- "Please take them out of the room." That was the stark statement Monday by Ikea USA President Lars Petersson to NBC News regarding 29 million of its dressers and chests, now the subject of a massive recall as Petersson admits they "could be a danger." The...
Hoverboard Torched Home
Dec 1, 2015 10:14 AM CST
Family: 'Exploding' Hoverboard Torched Home
Board burst into flames while charging, says Louisiana mom
- "It was like fireworks." That's how Jessica Horne of Lafitte, La., describes the first time her 12-year-old son, Hayden, plugged in his new $300 hoverboard, powered by lithium batteries, to charge. Purchased from "Fit Turbo" on Amazon and given to Hayden as a birthday gift a...
Toddler's Death May Spur
Desk-Toy Magnet Ban
in case you missed it
Sep 7, 2014 10:33 AM CDT
Toddler's Death May Spur Desk-Toy Magnet Ban
19-month-old swallowed 'Buckyball'-type magnets
- The small rare-earth magnets best known as "Buckyballs" are too dangerous to young children to remain on the market, staff at the Consumer Product Safety Commission have decided. Regulators—who vote on a recommendation to ban the desk-toy magnets later this month unless they're large enough to not...
2 Kids Die in
Bean Bag Chairs,
Aug 22, 2014 11:48 AM CDT
2 Kids Die in Bean Bag Chairs, Prompting Recall
Recall covers 2.2M zippered chairs from Ace Bayou
- More than two million Ace Bayou bean bag chairs are being recalled after the company says two children died inside the cushy seats. A 13-year-old Texas boy and a 3-year-old girl in Kentucky are both suspected of opening the chair's zippers and climbing inside, where they were found suffocated,...
'Government Gone Absurd'
Aug 17, 2012 4:36 AM CDT
Buckyballs Battles 'Government Gone Absurd'
Maker bucking calls to stop selling magnetic desk toy
- The interests of business and of government regulators have met head-on in a battle over the Buckyballs magnetic desk toy. The rare-earth magnets are powerful enough to cause horrific injuries when swallowed by children, and while 11 other makers of similar products have complied with a Consumer Product Safety Commission...
Government Bans Killer Cribs
May 21, 2010 5:12 PM CDT
Government Bans Killer Cribs
Drop-side design linked to 32 infant deaths since 2000
- If you grew up in the US, chances are you spent some time in a drop-side crib, which allows adults to lower one side so they have easy access to the occupant. T the government is about to ban the popular crib design, which has been linked to 32 infant...
Baby Slings Can Kill, Feds Warn
Mar 10, 2010 4:32 AM CST
Baby Slings Can Kill, Feds Warn
Infants can smother if they slip into wrong position
- Baby slings can suffocate infants, the Consumer Product Safety Commission is warning. The agency is preparing to issue a warning on the popular infant carriers, AP reports. "We know of too many deaths in these slings and we now know the hazard scenarios for very small babies," agency...
Feds: Zhu Zhu Pets OK
Dec 7, 2009 9:06 PM CST
Feds: Zhu Zhu Pets OK
Chemical levels don't violate standards
- Zhu Zhu Pets robotic hamsters—one of the holiday season's hottest toy crazes—do not violate safety standards, federal toy regulators say after a consumer group raised concerns over the presence of a heavy metal on one model. The toy "is not out of compliance," says a spokesman...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Cause of Death Revealed
After Failed Effort to Help New Orleans, Brad Pitt Settles
Lowe's Makes Big Move to Help Workers With Inflation
Trump Donors Respond to Push After FBI Search
20-Year-Old Makes $110M on Bed Bath & Beyond Stock
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.