Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Cops Raid Spanish
Soccer Federation's Offices
Sep 28, 2023 7:27 AM CDT
Cops Raid Spanish Soccer Federation's Offices
More bad news for the organization, which was just rocked by a sexism scandal
- Spanish police raided the offices of the country's soccer federation on Thursday as part of an investigation into the payment of millions of dollars over several years by FC Barcelona to a former vice president of Spain's refereeing committee. The Guardia Civil confirmed to the AP that its...
Only One US City
Makes Top 10
Dec 17, 2022 9:30 AM CST
Only One US City Makes Top 10 Travel Destinations
New York squeaks in at No. 10 on Euromonitor International's list; Paris comes in at No. 1
- Recovery from the pandemic for the travel industry is a work in progress, but inbound arrivals around the world increased by more than 80% this year in terms of numbers of trips, CNN notes. That means people are breaking out their passports again, and some cities are drawing travelers in...
Track Dad Who
Helped Son Finish
Memorable Race Has Died
Oct 5, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Track Dad Who Helped Son Finish Memorable Race Has Died
Jim and Derek Redmond participated in 'one of the most inspirational moments in Olympic history'
- Jim Redmond wasn't supposed to be on the track at the Barcelona Olympics in 1992. He wasn't even an athlete, yet he played a key role in what the Olympic Committee calls "one of the most inspirational moments in Olympic history." Per NPR, Jim Redmond died...
Year Later, John McAfee's
Body Still in Morgue
Jun 27, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Year Later, John McAfee's Body Still in Morgue
That's where it's been as legal battle between family, Spanish officials continues
- The fight over what happened to John McAfee continues, and his body remains in limbo in a Spanish morgue in the interim. The 75-year-old, who developed the first commercial anti-virus software, was found dead last June in a Barcelona-area prison cell, and authorities claimed it was a death by suicide....
I Was Attacked
by Wild Boars
Sep 30, 2021 8:53 AM CDT
Shakira: I Was Attacked by Wild Boars
Singer says hogs stole her bag in Barcelona
- Shakira says she was attacked by a pair of wild hogs. The Colombian singer described the apparent attack in a Barcelona park, where she was walking with her son, on Wednesday in videos posted to her Instagram stories, which are no longer visible. The Grammy winner, who is married to...
Aug 14, 2021 4:35 PM CDT
Paris Fans Cheer Their New Star
Soccer great Lionel Messi is introduced but doesn't play yet for his new team
- Lionel Messi wasn't in the lineup Saturday in Paris, but he was made to feel at home by fans. The newly acquired soccer great was introduced before Paris Saint-Germain's 4-2 victory over Strasbourg, the
reports. After receiving a standing ovation from the 49,000 fans at...
'Super League' Craters
Apr 21, 2021 8:15 AM CDT
Europe's Days-Old 'Super League' Craters
Backlash was almost universal; teams withdraw en masse
- It was announced Sunday that a lavishly-funded soccer league made up of major, celebrated teams from across Europe was about to launch. Days later, the European Super League looks to be crumbling in front of team supporters' thankful eyes. After all, "many called it the death of soccer,"...
Cruise Ships' Long Trips End:
'There Was Nowhere to Go'
Apr 20, 2020 7:37 AM CDT
Cruise Ships' Long Trips End: 'There Was Nowhere to Go'
3 vessels still with passengers scheduled to finally dock on Monday amid coronavirus crisis
- Believe it or not, there are still three cruise ships filled with passengers on the high seas—but all three are set to finally dock at various ports around the world on Monday, their around-the-globe itineraries thrown into disarray by the coronavirus pandemic. The BBC calls the MSC Magnifica, which...
Her Heart Stopped
for 6 Hours. She's Fine
Dec 6, 2019 11:55 AM CST
Her Heart Stopped for 6 Hours. She's Fine
Audrey Schoeman survived remarkably long cardiac arrest thanks to cold weather
- Her heart may have stopped beating for as long as six hours. But Audrey Schoeman is perfectly fine, thank you very much. "It's like a miracle except that it's all because of the doctors," says the 34-year-old Brit from Barcelona, who suffered the longest cardiac arrest...
On These Beaches, Cops
Hand Out 'Robbery Kits'
Aug 25, 2019 3:15 PM CDT
On These Beaches, Cops Hand Out 'Robbery Kits'
Barcelona beaches have a crime problem—and a solution
- Going to the beaches of Barcelona? The bad news is that bathers are finding their clothes have been stolen while they're swimming. The good news: Police are handing out so-called "robbery kits" containing a metro ticket, flip-flops, and a pair of shorts to people who find themselves exposed,...
Is That Your Real Hair, or
Are You Smuggling Drugs
Under a Bad Toupee?
Jul 17, 2019 8:17 AM CDT
Is That Your Real Hair, or Are You Smuggling Drugs Under a Bad Toupee?
$33K worth of cocaine was quickly spotted on nervous guy arriving in Spain
- A nervous-looking man flew from Colombia to Spain with what authorities there describe as an "oversized" toupee beneath his hat. Beneath that hairpiece was roughly a pound of cocaine bundled up and stuck to his head, according to police in Barcelona, who shared before and after images of the...
137 Years Later, Iconic Church
Gets a Building Permit
Jun 9, 2019 8:02 AM CDT
137 Years Later, Iconic Church Gets a Building Permit
After 137 years, Gaudi's Sagrada Familia basilica will finish construction legally
- Architect Antoni Gaudi broke ground on his iconic La Sagrada Familia basilica in 1882, and if he weren't long dead, he might be gratified to know that in the year of our lord 2019 he's finally got a building permit, reports CNN . Still unfinished after 137 years , the...
'Heartless' Prank With Oreo
Earns YouTuber Jail Sentence
Jun 3, 2019 9:30 AM CDT
'Heartless' Prank With Oreo Earns YouTuber Jail Sentence
Kanghua Ren, aka ReSet, filled cookie with toothpaste
- A prank called "heartless" and "disgusting" has now earned its perpetrator jail time and a hefty fine. YouTuber ReSet—real name Kanghua Ren—has been given a 15-month jail sentence by a court in Barcelona, Spain, and has to fork over $22,300 to a homeless man after...
136 Years Later,
to Be Completed
Oct 19, 2018 1:10 PM CDT
136 Years Later, Famous Landmark to Be Completed
Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, Spain, finally has necessary permits to be finished
- It's taken nearly 140 years of building and two recent years of talks , but it looks like Barcelona's most-visited tourist attraction, the unfinished Sagrada Familia, may finally see its finishing touches put on. The
New York Times
report a $41 million, 10-year deal has been struck...
Jul 4, 2018 10:33 AM CDT
Activists Redecorate Columbus Statue
Barcelona statue gets a life jacket protesting plight of migrants, as ship carrying 60 more docks
- Activists in Barcelona have dressed a statue of 15th-century explorer Christopher Columbus in an orange life-vest to draw attention to the loss of migrant and refugee lives in the Mediterranean Sea, reports the AP . Two volunteer firefighters on Wednesday climbed the 197-foot monument towering above the northeastern Spanish city and...
Catalans Plan Wave
of Civil Disobedience
Oct 30, 2017 3:54 AM CDT
Catalans Plan Wave of Civil Disobedience
Civil servants expected to defy rule from Madrid
- After lawmakers in Catalonia voted in favor of independence Friday, the Spanish government was aghast, quickly triggering unprecedented constitutional measures to fire the regional government and take direct control of many of Catalonia's affairs in order to thwart secession. But some separatist-minded Catalans have vowed to carry out a...
In Spain, a Wave
of Pro-Unionists Rally
Oct 29, 2017 7:04 AM CDT
In Spain, a Wave of Pro-Unionists Rally
As Madrid moves to impose order after declaration of Catalan independence
- Tens of thousands of demonstrators, many carrying Spanish and official "senyera" Catalan flags, have gathered on a central Barcelona boulevard in a call for Spain's unity. The atmosphere was festive, reports the AP , as many cheered politicians and central government officials who joined the march. Some chanted "...
Oct 8, 2017 8:31 AM CDT
Thousands Rally in Barcelona— Against Secession
As Spanish PM says he'll stop separatists by any legal means necessary
- Thousands of people are rallying Sunday in downtown Barcelona to protest the Catalan government's push for secession from the rest of Spain. Many in the crowd gathered in a central square carried Spanish and Catalan flags. Some chanted "Don't be fooled, Catalonia is Spain" and called for...
Death Toll Rises
in Barcelona Attacks
Aug 27, 2017 7:01 AM CDT
Death Toll Rises in Barcelona Attacks
51-year-old German woman has died of injuries
- Health authorities in Catalonia say a 51-year-old German woman has died from injuries suffered in the Aug. 17 attack in Barcelona, raising the death toll in attacks there and the nearby coastal town of Cambrils to 16. The woman died Sunday in the intensive care unit of Barcelona's Hospital...
Barcelona Suspect: We Planned
to Blow Up Church, Other Sites
Aug 23, 2017 7:58 AM CDT
Barcelona Suspect: We Planned to Blow Up Church, Other Sites
Terror group's mission was partly foiled when Alcanar bomb-making 'factory' blew up
- The suspected driver of the van that rammed into crowds in Barcelona is now dead , but details are still emerging about last week's carnage that left 15 dead in two attacks and injured more than 130. The newest development, per the
: A 21-year-old suspect in custody told a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.