Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
A Mysterious Hunt for Cash Is
Underway in a Canadian City
May 13, 2022 2:30 AM CDT
A Mysterious Hunt for Cash Is Underway in a Canadian City
Miramichi, New Brunswick, residents can thank Roman Dungarvan, whoever that is
- It'll be a Friday the 13th like no other in the small Canadian city of Miramichi. The New Brunswick locale is home to 17,600 people, and someone among them has started hiding $100 bills with sometimes creepy clues leading to them. And on Friday the 13th comes the...
Jan 12, 2022 2:51 PM CST
Wordle Is Taking Over the World
Ad-free word game is a massive online hit
- Last year, New York-based programmer Josh Wardle created a game for his partner Palak Shah, a big fan of crosswords and other word games. Fast-forward a few months, and Wordle is taking over the world. The free online game, in which users have six chances to guess a five-letter word,...
She Called Out James Corden,
Is Now Getting Death Threats
in case you missed it
Jul 3, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
She Called Out James Corden, Is Now Getting Death Threats
Petition creator Kim Saira wants an apology for segment she sees as anti-Asian
Late Late Show
host James Corden has vowed to reform his occasional "Spill Your Guts or Fill Your Guts" segment, but that's not enough for critics who call it racist. Some 46,000 people have signed a Change.org petition demanding a public apology, a donation to Asian...
Netflix Series Has Made
Chess a Hit Again
Nov 24, 2020 2:56 PM CST
Netflix Series Has Made Chess a Hit Again
Viewers of ' Queen's Gambit' have been inspired to play, sending sales of sets soaring
- Chess already seemed like a good fit for a pandemic—challenging, competitive, and time-consuming. Sales were up early in the lockdown, as people stuck at home played games of all kinds more. But then, last month, a Netflix miniseries kicked off. "Ever since the
Game Guy Started at Age 14
Still Going On in His 50s
Sep 23, 2020 10:35 AM CDT
Game Guy Started at Age 14 Still Going On in His 50s
Robert Wardhaugh began his Dungeons and Dragons marathon in 1982 and hasn't stopped since
- Right from the description on his website , you can tell he's serious about gaming: "My name is Robert Wardhaugh and I am the Dungeon Master (DM)." Although Wardhaugh's full-time job is as a history professor at the University of Western Ontario, the Canadian man's unofficial...
Hide-and-Seek Turns Into
'Bit of a Disaster' for Teen
Apr 22, 2020 1:12 PM CDT
Hide-and-Seek Turns Into 'Bit of a Disaster' for Teen
Amari Dancy, 18, had to be rescued from washing machine by firefighters
- Amari Dancy doesn't usually play with younger members of her family, but on Sunday she broke down and joined in a game of hide-and-seek. The spot the 18-year-old ultimately chose as her hiding place, however, turned into "a bit of a disaster," per FOX 5 . "We...
Happy Is a Twitter Game
You're Bound to Lose
Jun 25, 2019 11:10 AM CDT
Keeping Beyonce Happy Is a Twitter Game You're Bound to Lose
FYI: Wet hair before a show is a no-no
- Twitter is playing host to a hit new game, all about whether you could survive a day as Beyonce's assistant without getting fired. "They gotta start giving pulitzers for tweets,"
New York Times
reporter Astead W. Herndon wrote of the choose-your-own-adventure-style thread created by 19-year-old student Landon...
This Game Is Known to Offend.
It May Have Gone Too Far
Dec 30, 2017 8:32 AM CST
This Game Is Known to Offend. It May Have Gone Too Far
Target pulling Cards Against Humanity's 'Chosen People Pack' off shelves for anti-Semitic content
- First Target had a problem with fidget spinners . Now it's taking heat for another item in its toy department, apologizing for a game that's designed to be offensive but looks to have crossed the line. TMZ reports the retailer is pulling an expansion pack for the popular game...
A Retro Game Is Suddenly
Very Much in Vogue
Dec 26, 2017 12:04 PM CST
A Retro Game Is Suddenly Very Much in Vogue
Pinball is making a comeback
- The old-school arcade game of pinball is resurging in popularity. The AP reports interest has skyrocketed over the last decade, with the number of players and competitions growing worldwide, per the International Flipper Pinball Association. There were 500 players in 50 competitions worldwide in 2006, according to the IFPA; in...
Critics Blast Rosie for 'Gross'
Link to Trump Game
Jul 19, 2017 8:01 AM CDT
Critics Blast Rosie for 'Gross' Link to Trump Game
'Push Trump Off a Cliff Again' isn't going over well with conservatives
- There's no love lost between Rosie O'Donnell and President Trump , and a tweet the comedian posted over the weekend is unlikely to mend any fences. Per
, O'Donnell tweeted a link on Saturday to an online game that invites players to "Push Trump Off a...
Monopoly's Classic Tokens
Might All Be Replaced
Jan 11, 2017 3:00 AM CST
Monopoly's Classic Tokens Might All Be Replaced
Hasbro collecting votes on tokens for new game
- Your lucky Monopoly thimble is at risk of being replaced by a hashtag. Monopoly maker Hasbro is asking fans of the classic board game to help choose eight tokens for a new Token Madness version of the 82-year-old game to be released this fall, with options like a hashtag and...
Westboro Baptist Church Gets In on
Jul 11, 2016 1:33 PM CDT
Westboro Baptist Church Gets In on
With its usual offensive messages against LGBT community
- The new
game that everyone's obsessing over isn't all fun and games: In Missouri, four teens were busted for using the app to lure victims they could rob , and now the Westboro Baptist Church is tapping into it to spread its own message,
How Ted Cruz
Jan 14, 2016 12:10 PM CST
How Ted Cruz Is Prepping for Thursday's Debate: Zombies
And some Bible readings
- Donald Trump may be preparing for Thursday night's GOP debate by scarfing cheeseburgers , but Ted Cruz has his own preparation strategies, he tells Politico in a look at how well the candidate is doing during the debates. While the site notes that the Texas senator's "brain trust...
Feb 4, 2015 6:05 PM CST
Next From Cards Against Humanity Guy: Sex Game
Brace yourself for Weapons of Mass Seduction
- "Cards Against Humanity gives you a reason to talk about the taboo. Weapons of Mass Seduction gives you a reason to do it." So says Daniel Dranove, co-creator of both the former and the latter, the latter being a sex game designed with couples in mind. How it...
Jan 14, 2015 6:38 PM CST
Ancient Greek Drinking Game Is Reborn
Kottabos involves hurling your wine at a target
- What better place to re-create an ancient drinking game than a college campus? A teacher at West Chester University in Pennsylvania and her students kept up an ancient Greek tradition by playing kottabos, a game that involves hurling one's wine from a glass onto a target at the center...
New Bot Plays
Jan 11, 2015 2:10 PM CST
New Bot Plays Perfect Poker: Researchers
Its strategy involves the ability to 'regret' past moves
- The world's greatest poker players have a formidable new foe. Scientists have developed a computer program they say plays an effectively perfect game of Fixed-limit Heads-up Texas Hold 'em, the BBC reports. The Cepheus system "can't be beaten with statistical significance within a lifetime of human...
New Tourist Craze:
Jul 6, 2014 3:30 PM CDT
New Tourist Craze: Locked Rooms
From Budapest to New York, it's a bona fide craze
- The latest tourist trend comes via Budapest, where visitors are flocking to locked rooms and struggling to get out. Sound weird? Maybe, but the city's 50-odd room-escape games are like video game puzzles where the clues—like a laminated stamp in a metal box, or numbers etched on wrench...
Hit Wedding Gift:
May 11, 2014 2:10 PM CDT
Hit Wedding Gift: A Super-Vulgar Card Game
Cards Against Humanity earns spot on Amazon's most-requested list
- Many sample phrases from Cards Against Humanity are too disturbing to print here, yet it's become hugely popular—among couples getting married. The card game was the no. 7 most-requested wedding gift item on Amazon last year, the site has revealed. How does it work? Well, it's a...
May 3, 2014 1:37 PM CDT
Here's a Winning Strategy for Rock-Paper- Scissors
Study shows how you can predict opponents' actions
- Thanks to researchers in China, you never have to leave a game of rock-paper-scissors up to chance again. They observed 360 students in 60 groups of six players each; the students played what must have been an exhausting 300 rounds. Perhaps unsurprisingly, players played each move—rock, paper, or scissors—...
1,200 Games Later, America Has New Marbles Champs
Jun 21, 2013 9:57 AM CDT
1,200 Games Later, America Has New Marbles Champs
Emily Cavacini wins for the girls, Cooper Fisher for the boys
- Yesterday saw the completion of the 90th National Marbles Tournament, and America has crowned two new winners. Emily Cavacini, 11, who hails from outside Pittsburgh, took home the title of girls' champion, while Cooper Fisher, 12, from Middletown Valley, Maryland, beat out the other boys, reports the AP . It was...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Final Autopsy Results Released
Polygamous Leader Had 'Wives' as Young as 9: FBI
Germany Uncovers Alleged Coup Plot Involving Aristocrat
Iranian Patrol Boat Tries to Temporarily Blind US Navy Ships
What Sleeping With a Weighted Blanket Does to Your Brain
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.