Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Gap Resort to
'Pack and Hold'
Aug 31, 2022 9:55 AM CDT
Teeming With Inventory, Kohl's, Gap Resort to 'Pack and Hold'
Clothing retailers are tapping into unusual strategies amid an inventory glut
- As summer tilts toward autumn, major clothing retailers have found themselves with a massive glut of inventory, forcing many chains to make tough choices. Per CNN, discounts and promotions are the usual strategies for clearing excess goods, but that's not good enough for Kohl's and the Gap. Both...
Firm's 'Made in
Made in China
Aug 9, 2022 7:25 AM CDT
FTC: Pro-Trump Firm's 'Made in USA' Apparel Made in China
Agency fines Lions Not Sheep, owner $200K for phony labels
- If you're going to put "Made in USA" labels on your products, you'd better make sure they're actually made in the USA. That's the message the Federal Trade Commission hopes to convey to one pro-Donald Trump apparel company that it just fined more than $200,...
Again, and It's High Tech
Jan 20, 2022 11:42 AM CST
Amazon Goes Brick-and-Mortar Again, and It's High Tech
Doors will open at the Amazon Style apparel store in Glendale, Calif., later this year
- Amazon is the nation's No. 1 apparel retailer , but it has apparently decided that online sales aren't enough. CNBC reports the e-commerce giant will be opening a clothing store (as in one you can actually walk into) in a Los Angeles suburb later this year. Amazon Style will...
Senators Go to Bat for Sinema
Nov 20, 2021 8:30 AM CST
Senators Go to Bat for Sinema Over 'Sexist'
Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski, Jeanne Shaheen slam paper for focusing on Ariz. senator's clothes
- Kyrsten Sinema has become known for her "penchant for patterns and bold colors" in a Senate chamber that's "still largely buttoned up," as the Hill puts it. That's a problem, though—not the Arizona senator's choice of clothing, but the plethora of headlines about...
'Predatory' Firm Fined
for Making False Claims
About Anti-COVID Clothes
Jul 26, 2021 11:45 AM CDT
'Predatory' Firm Fined for Making False Claims About Anti-COVID Clothes
As cases rose in Australia, Lorna Jane started advertising 'anti-virus activewear'
- An Australian clothing company accused of exploiting public fears about COVID-19 by making false claims about its activewear has agreed to pay a $3.7 million fine. As a second wave of infections hit Australia last summer, Lorna Jane started selling what it called "anti-virus activewear," the
NASA Tackles Odd Space
Problem: Doing the Laundry
Jun 22, 2021 11:13 AM CDT
NASA Tackles Odd Space Problem: Doing the Laundry
Tide is sending up special detergent as a test
- How do astronauts do laundry in space? They don't. They wear their underwear, gym clothes, and everything else until they can't take it anymore, then junk them, per the AP . NASA wants to change that—if not at the International Space Station, then the moon and Mars—and...
Comic Strip Characters
Ditching Their Pants on Friday
May 5, 2021 1:38 PM CDT
Comic Strip Characters Ditching Their Pants on Friday
Comic strip artists to celebrate No Pants Day in a way that helps charities
- Fans of newspaper comics will instantly notice something missing in many of the strips this Friday—pants. More than 25 cartoonists behind strips from "Blondie" to "Zippy the Pinhead" are celebrating the quirky holiday No Pants Day in a way that helps charities get clothing to those in...
Lena Dunham's New Plus-Size
Line Slammed for Cost, Sizes
Apr 9, 2021 1:21 PM CDT
Lena Dunham's New Plus-Size Line Slammed for Cost, Sizes
Critics say not enough larger sizes are actually offered, and that pieces are too expensive
- Lena Dunham has a new clothing line out, but like much other news involving Lena Dunham, it's a project not without controversy. Per
, the collaboration between the 34-year-old
star and fashion retailer 11 Honore offers various apparel for women sizes 12 through 26, a line Dunham says...
Sweater Made Famous by
Princess Di Is On Sale Again
Nov 16, 2020 10:20 AM CST
Sweater Made Famous by Princess Di Is On Sale Again
'Black sheep' crewneck is being reissued by designers Warm and Wonderful
- Princess Diana's attire was often the subject of tabloid reviews, but what she wore to one particular polo match in 1980 attracted special attention. It was a red wool crewneck sweater designed by Warm and Wonderful, with white sheep scattered across it—except for one black sheep located four...
He Wore Gap
Khakis On the Air.
Nov 13, 2020 4:53 PM CST
He Wore Gap Khakis On the Air. Now Everyone Wants Them
MSNBC correspondent Steve Kornacki's election week outfit is driving online sales
- They call him the "Map Daddy," but Steve Kornacki may soon see his nickname change to the "Gap Daddy." The MSNBC political correspondent went viral in some circles during election week not only with his nerdy explainers on electoral math, but also with an outfit that...
200-Year-Old Firm Becomes
Latest Pandemic Victim
Jul 8, 2020 2:44 PM CDT
200-Year-Old Firm Becomes Latest Pandemic Victim
Brooks Brothers has filed for bankruptcy
- Brooks Brothers, the 200-year-old company that dressed nearly every US president, filed for bankruptcy protection Wednesday, the latest major clothing seller to be toppled by the coronavirus pandemic. Founded in New York in 1818, Brooks Brothers survived two world wars and the Great Depression and even managed to stay afloat...
Shop Owner Posts
Edgy Mask Sign
That Goes Viral
Jul 4, 2020 11:30 AM CDT
Shop Owner Posts Edgy Mask Sign That Goes Viral
Sarah Bingham denies that she's making light of seniors' plight
- Sarah Bingham says her frustration with anti-maskers entering her Arizona store was rising—in fact, it had just about peaked. "It was a conversation I had to have every day and I got kind of sick of it," she tells 12 News . So last month she created a...
a Big Brand
Jun 27, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
Kanye Strikes 10-Year Deal That Might Just Save a Big Brand
The singer-songwriter joins forces with the Gap
- "He just might make Gap cool again." That's how TMZ describes a new 10-year deal between Kanye West and the Gap to forge a clothing line. The mall brand and Kanye's company, Yeezy, say the new "Yeezy Gap" line will provide "modern, elevated basics...
Jun 12, 2020 6:18 AM CDT
Workers Slam Starbucks' 'Hypocritical' Ban
Company won't let employees wear 'Black Lives Matter' clothing, accessories
- Last week, Starbucks made its pinned tweet one with a timely message: "Black lives matter. We are committed to being a part of change." This week, per the Hill , some are calling the company's stance a disingenuous one in light of its recent enforcement of a dress...
Clothing Retailers Jump
on the Rentals Bandwagon
Feb 10, 2020 9:04 AM CST
Clothing Retailers Jump on the Rentals Bandwagon
Idea of wear-it-and-return-it is gaining steam
- Renting clothes could be the future of fashion—or it could just be a fad. But traditional retailers can no longer afford to wait on the sidelines to find out, per the AP . That's why a growing number are now offering customers the option to rent clothes for a...
Walmart's 'Ugly' Xmas Sweaters
Just Took It to the Next Level
Dec 9, 2019 8:21 AM CST
Walmart's 'Ugly' Xmas Sweaters Just Took It to the Next Level
Attire showing Santa doing blow, getting whipped by Mrs. Claus have been taken off site
- If a sweater showing Santa doing lines of coke or getting whipped by Mrs. Claus was on your Christmas wish list, they just got a little harder to find. Walmart Canada is on Santa's naughty list after it posted several "ugly" Christmas sweaters for sale on its website,...
Oct 23, 2019 9:30 AM CDT
Kylie Jenner's New Trademark Attempt Raises Eyebrows
Billionaire sees a business opportunity in 'rise and shine'
- Kylie Jenner is trying to trademark the phrase "rise and shine" after singing it to her daughter in a viral video clip. The nine-second clip —taken from a YouTube video in which Jenner offered a tour of the Kylie Cosmetics offices—has been viewed 15 million times in...
A 'Friend' Gets
Sep 19, 2019 11:52 AM CDT
A 'Friend' Gets Major Ralph Lauren Homage
Designer to offer collection inspired by Rachel Green character
- If you didn't win that gig live-tweeting during
to celebrate the NBC sitcom's 25th anniversary, there's now another way you can honor the show: Dress like Rachel. Ralph Lauren just made that easier, with its announcement of a new "ready-to-wear" collection inspired by Rachel Green,...
Woman Dies After Getting
Caught in Clothing 'Death Trap'
Jan 8, 2019 11:45 AM CST
Woman Dies After Getting Caught in Clothing 'Death Trap'
She's at least the 8th fatality in Canada in 4 years to become trapped in donation bin
- A woman in Toronto died after she became stuck in a clothing donations bin, reports NBC News . Police don't suspect foul play. The unidentified woman, found early Tuesday morning, apparently reached in too far, either to put in or pull out clothes, and could not get back out. Her...
A Swedish Power Plant
Is Burning H&M Rejects
in case you missed it
Dec 2, 2017 4:25 PM CST
A Swedish Power Plant Is Burning H&M Rejects
A rep for the company says the clothing may have mold or chemical issues
- H&M's fashions are on fire—literally, that is, in Vasteras, Sweden. A heat and power station that powers 150,000 homes there has a mandate to stop burning fossil fuels like coal and oil by 2020. Its path to achieving that involves burning "only renewable and recycled...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tom Brady, Gisele Bundchen Hire Divorce Attorneys
Brad Pitt Fires Back at Angelina Jolie
Family 'Destroyed' After Tragedy During College Parents Weekend
Herschel Walker's Abortion Story Was No Secret
It's Canned Water. And It's Nearly a Unicorn
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.