Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
New Men's Groups Aim to Turn
Masculinity on Its Head
Aug 20, 2023 1:55 PM CDT
New Men's Groups Aim to Turn Masculinity on Its Head
They're gathering to do breathing exercises, talk, and be more vulnerable, per 'Washington Post'
- Earlier this year, US Surgeon General Vivek Murthy put up a red flag on the widespread loneliness afflicting the United States. Now, groups around the country are forming to allow connections to be forged that might help alleviate that mass feeling of isolation—groups specifically for men, in what Tara...
Men, Don't Throw in the Towel
on Longevity Quite Yet
Aug 3, 2022 2:57 PM CDT
Men, Don't Throw in the Towel on Longevity Quite Yet
Despite lower life expectancy, guys still have 'substantial chance of outliving females,' per study
- It's long been suggested that women outlive the men in their lives, but new research suggests that may be an oversimplified conclusion. Danish scientists who looked at the bigger picture found that the guys, especially those with a ring on their finger or who hold a college degree, might...
In Return to Jobs,
a Huge Gender Gap
Feb 8, 2022 8:47 AM CST
In Return to Jobs, a Huge Gender Gap
BLS stats show 1M-plus men went back to job market in Jan. amid pandemic; only 39K women did
- The pandemic struck a huge blow to the American workforce, but January's jobs report brought some hopeful news, with employers adding 467,000 jobs last month. But the news appears to be better for men than for women, per Axios , which cites a "jaw-dropping" gender disparity in labor...
Why Heartbroken Men
Are Turning to Reddit
Nov 10, 2021 2:28 PM CST
Why Heartbroken Men Are Turning to Reddit
With stigma, they may feel unable to express relationship issues in more traditional contexts
- Research carried out in clinical and counselling settings has suggested men tend to avoid relationship problems and keep partners at a distance, reports Insider . But that may be the result of researchers looking for answers in the wrong places, according to a new study, which finds men are more likely...
In Deaths of Young
People, a Stark
Nov 2, 2021 1:50 PM CDT
In Deaths of Young People, a Stark Gender Gap
New research finds nearly 2/3 of deaths worldwide in 2019 in 10-24 age group were boys, young men
- A group of researchers examined long-term mortality trends among young people, and one finding especially sticks out. Per the study published Saturday in the
journal , males are more likely than their female counterparts to die young, and in many nations, that gender gulf is only getting bigger. The research—...
Jan 11, 2019 2:30 PM CST
Psychologists Warn About 'Traditional Masculinity'
APA report says old-school traits could be wreaking havoc on male mental, physical health
- There's an ideology out there affecting boys and men, and the American Psychological Association says it's "harmful." The
Los Angeles Times
reports on the APA's first official warning on the toxicity of "traditional masculinity," which "has been shown to limit males' psychological...
Men Are From Mars (Logic),
Women From Venus (Empathy)
Nov 13, 2018 9:30 AM CST
Men Are From Mars (Logic), Women From Venus (Empathy)
Cambridge scientists reinforce old stereotypes; critics pounce on 'neurosexism'
- In what's said to be the largest study examining differences between the sexes, a longtime stereotype is holding some water—though critics are pushing back on the supposed biological merit underlying the results. The
reports that researchers at the University of Cambridge tested more than 670,000 people...
Lost Interest in Sex?
This Could Help
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 17, 2017 11:45 AM CDT
Lost Interest in Sex? This Could Help
Men and women who talk about sex are less likely to lose interest: study
- Want to spice up your sex life? Try talking. A new study on sex notes 34% of female participants and 15% of male participants in Britain reported having lost interest in sex for three months or more during the previous year. Both sexes blamed issues such as poor health, lack...
Women's Brains More Active
Than Men's in 2 Key Areas
Aug 8, 2017 8:03 AM CDT
Women's Brains More Active Than Men's in 2 Key Areas
Those managing self-control and focus, as well as mood disorders
- In the latest "men are from Mars, women are from Venus" debate, neuroscience jumps into the fray. In what UPI deems the "largest functional brain imaging survey ever," researchers from California's Amen Clinics used a type of 3D imaging to determine that women's brains are...
Senator Sorry for Joking
Mar 24, 2017 3:54 AM CDT
Senator Sorry for Joking About Mammograms
Pence tweets photo of all-male discussion
- A Republican senator has apologized for joking about mammograms while discussing changes to the GOP's ObamaCare replacement bill. The controversy began after TPM reporter Alice Ollstein tweeted that when she asked Sen. Pat Roberts of Kansas about attempts to roll back the "essential health benefits" rule that requires...
After Hair-Loss Drug Came
Years of Erectile Dysfunction
Mar 10, 2017 7:36 AM CST
After Hair-Loss Drug Came Years of Erectile Dysfunction
It's the first study to arrive at the finding
- Two drugs—one to treat hair loss, the other to shrink enlarged prostates—could wreak havoc on men's sexual health. Researchers at Northwestern University reported Thursday in the journal
that among the men they studied who are between the ages of 16 and 89 and who took either...
Course Teaches Men
to Avoid Sex-Trade Trap
in case you missed it
Feb 11, 2017 4:40 PM CST
Course Teaches Men to Avoid Sex-Trade Trap
Innovative program in Washington state aims to break stereotypes, the patriarchy
- Ask a guy why he commissions a prostitute and he may come up with a variety of answers, or even a shrug and an "I'm not sure." But in King County, Wash., men who’ve been busted trying to pay for sex—many with girls they believed...
Viruses May Hit Men Harder
Than Women for a Reason
Dec 17, 2016 12:17 PM CST
Viruses May Hit Men Harder Than Women for a Reason
From a virus' perspective, women are the superior host
- It is now well established that many viruses wreak more havoc on men than on women. Examples: Men are five times as likely to develop cancer from HPV as women, twice as likely to develop Hodgkin's lymphoma from the Epstein-Barr virus, and 1.5 times as likely to die...
Nov 22, 2016 12:05 PM CST
Study Links Manliness to Depression in Men
Conforming to certain masculine norms plays out negatively in many men
- Being sexist results in a double whammy on men's mental health, new research suggests. When men strongly conform to social masculine norms, they're more likely to suffer from ailments such as depression—and the more they cling to these norms, the less likely they are to seek help...
Women Are Boozing It Up
as Much as Men
Oct 25, 2016 11:35 AM CDT
Women Are Boozing It Up as Much as Men
The ladies have closed the consumption gap over the past 100 years
- Women have almost achieved equality with men … when it comes to tying one on. Looking back on the imbibing habits of more than 4 million people globally over the last 100 years or so, Aussie researchers say the ladies have closed the drinking gap with men, partly due to...
Millennial Men Are Weak Sauce
Compared to Their Dads
Aug 12, 2016 9:20 AM CDT
Millennial Men Are Weak Sauce Compared to Their Dads
Too much texting, not enough heavy lifting
- If today's men think that all those video games are helping them maintain optimal hand strength, they'd better think again. In a series of studies testing grip and pinch strength, researchers report in the
Journal of Hand Therapy
that among the 237 healthy millennials studied between the ages...
For First Time,
May 31, 2016 9:33 AM CDT
For First Time, Sweden Has More Men Than Women
Some worry this could set women's rights back if trend continues as expected
- Sweden is dealing with a surprise surplus of something it didn't quite expect: men. Per the AP , the Scandinavian country of 10 million now has more males than females for the first time since they started tracking such things in the mid-1700s, and this guy growth has been booming...
Mar 23, 2016 5:45 PM CDT
Women More Devout Than Men: Study
Gender gap in Pew study may be explained by both nature and nurture
- Every pope, Jesus, Moses, Muhammad, and most other major religious leaders have been men, and many religions have either only recently let up restrictions on women officiants or continue to ban them, the
notes. Yet a new study from the Pew Research Center finds that women are the ones...
Unloved Single Men
Take to Streets to
Dec 19, 2015 4:45 PM CST
Unloved Single Men Take to Streets to Protest Christmas
'Losers With Women' call the holiday a 'capitalist ploy'
- About 20 men took to the streets of Tokyo on Saturday to protest Christmas for discriminating against single men, AFP reports. "Unpopular men, who don't have a girlfriend or are not married, are overly discriminated," says the group's leader, going by the fake name Mark Waters....
Men Are Better
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Dec 13, 2015 2:10 PM CST
Science Says: Men Are Better Navigators
But not necessarily because of testosterone
- "Men have a better sense of direction than women." So goes the headline on a press release outlining a new study from the Norwegian University of Science and Technology. The fact that men excel at certain spatial tasks, the release says, is well established. The goal of the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Sandy Hook Families Give Alex Jones Options for Paying
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.