Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
NBA Makes Unusual
Move for Election Day
Aug 16, 2022 1:24 PM CDT
NBA Makes Unusual Move for Election Day
No games will be played on November 8, to encourage voting
- The NBA will release its 2022-23 schedule on Wednesday, but one day is already known to be a blank slate—November 8. As in, Election Day. The league announced Tuesday that no teams will play that day in order to encourage people to vote, reports Politico . Instead, all 30 teams...
Election Officials Fear
Paper Ballot Shortage
Mar 18, 2022 3:38 PM CDT
Election Officials Fear Paper Ballot Shortage
Supply chain issues, and even truck driver shortages, cause worry about handling voting
- The same supply chain problems that have limited the availability of consumer goods have election officials worried about having enough paper ballots and envelopes for this year's voting. Orders are being placed much earlier than usual, which complicates budgeting, Politico reports. "Sometimes that means ordering in advance of...
After George Floyd, a Big
Choice for Minneapolis Voters
Nov 2, 2021 12:35 PM CDT
After George Floyd, a Big Choice for Minneapolis Voters
Residents to decide whether to replace police department with new public-safety agency
- Voters in Minneapolis were deciding Tuesday whether to replace the city's police department with a new Department of Public Safety, more than a year after George Floyd's death under the knee of a white police officer launched a movement to defund or abolish police across the country. The...
Robocalls Told Voters to
'Stay Safe, Stay Home'
Nov 4, 2020 12:05 AM CST
Robocalls Told Voters to 'Stay Safe, Stay Home'
But there were few incidents of intimidation
- The FBI says it is looking into reports of robocalls aimed at discouraging voting on Election Day—including some that told voters in Michigan they could be arrested for outstanding warrants if they went to the polls. The BBC reports that millions of voters in multiple states received calls saying,...
This Election Day,
It's a Common Sight
Nov 3, 2020 12:32 PM CST
This Election Day, It's a Common Sight
Storefronts boarded up across the country in anticipation of protests
- This Election Day looks different. Federal officials on Monday erected "non-scalable" fencing around the White House in anticipation of protests, per ABC News . Some businesses are following suit. "If you go downtown, everything is boarded up," a manager at Commercial Glass Door Repair in Washington, DC, tells...
Election Day Have You Stressed,
Hungry? Check Out the Freebies
Nov 3, 2020 10:38 AM CST
Election Day Have You Stressed, Hungry? Check Out the Freebies
Doughnuts, chicken, and massages are gratis
- Once you've voted, head to the gym for a free workout and massage, then reward yourself with a free doughnut. Still waiting around for election results early Wednesday? You can snag a free coffee, too. It's all possible with perks offered by various businesses this Election Day, which...
Dow Is Surging
on Election Day
Nov 3, 2020 10:15 AM CST
Dow Is Surging on Election Day
Investors hoping for elections results with little drama
- Election Day jitters aren't plaguing Wall Street. The Dow was up more than 600 points in morning trading, more than 2%, and the S&P 500 and the Nasdaq also were up by more than 2%. What the
Wall Street Journal
reads into this: Investors are betting that Joe...
Poll: Few Believe Winner Will
Be Announced Election Night
Nov 2, 2020 6:30 PM CST
Poll: Few Believe Winner Will Be Announced Election Night
Only 17% are expecting an immediate result
- President Trump has said the election winner should be announced on election night—but few Americans are expecting that to happen, according to a Politico /Morning Consult poll. The poll found that only 17% of Americans expect to know the winner Tuesday night, while 18% expect to know the following...
White Castle Starting
'New Tradition' on Nov. 3
in case you missed it
Oct 31, 2020 12:00 PM CDT
White Castle Starting 'New Tradition' on Nov. 3
Restaurants will be closed for 4 hours to give employees time to vote
- White Castle normally keeps its restaurants open 24 hours a day every day except Christmas Day—but it is making an exception on Tuesday. The burger chain says its 377 restaurants in 13 states will be closed from 7am to 11am on Election Day to give workers time to vote....
Twitter Puts New
Rules in Place
Oct 9, 2020 1:56 PM CDT
Twitter Puts New Rules in Place for Election
Politicians can't declare victory on their own
- Twitter is going to look and feel slightly different over the coming days. Per the
, the social media platform will be putting in place guardrails to mitigate misleading and false tweets regarding the Nov. 3 election, including warnings on politicians' falsehoods and strict rules on when the election...
Bill Gates: US Pandemic
Response is 'Shocking'
Sep 15, 2020 11:24 AM CDT
Bill Gates: US Pandemic Response is 'Shocking'
He also doesn't expect a vaccine before Election Day
- Bill Gates has some bad news for President Trump, who has suggested that a coronavirus vaccine could be available by Election Day. Gates tells CNBC that he doesn't see it happening. "None of the vaccines are likely to seek approval in the US before the end of October,...
Facebook to Employees: Here's
Time Off, Go Work Those Polls
Sep 12, 2020 6:30 AM CDT
Facebook to Employees: Here's Time Off, Go Work Those Polls
Company joins in efforts to alleviate shortage of poll workers for Election 2020
- With shortages of poll workers looming before the election, one big tech company is stepping up to help fill that gap. Facebook executives told Axios this week that it will be offering its employees additional paid time off so they can become poll workers if they so choose, which would...
GOP Governor Refuses
to Concede in Kentucky
Nov 6, 2019 1:52 AM CST
GOP Governor Refuses to Concede in Kentucky
Democrat has lead of 5K votes
- Democrat Andy Beshear claimed victory over incumbent Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin with a lead of a few thousand votes Tuesday night, although the Republican refused to concede. With 100% of precincts reporting, Beshear, the state's attorney general, has a lead of around 5,000 votes, but Bevin said there...
4 States Hold Elections Tuesday
Nov 5, 2019 5:42 AM CST
4 States Hold Elections Tuesday
Races seen as a test run for 2020
- Gubernatorial and legislative elections in four states Tuesday will test voter enthusiasm and party organization amid impeachment proceedings against President Trump and a fevered Democratic presidential primary scramble. Results in Kentucky, Mississippi, New Jersey, and Virginia won't necessarily predict whether Trump will be reelected or which party will control...
Hospital Worker Loses
Job Over Election Day Outfit
Nov 9, 2018 2:35 AM CST
Hospital Worker Loses Job Over Election Day Outfit
It had a noose and the words 'Mississippi Justice'
- It's not clear what Mississippi man Clayton Hickey was hoping to achieve by wearing a pro-lynching T-shirt on Election Day—but if it was getting fired, then job done. Photos shared online showed Hickey at a polling place in Olive Branch, Mississippi, wearing a T-shirt that featured a Confederate...
Chris Christie Gets in Argument
With Constituent Outside Polls
Nov 8, 2017 11:07 AM CST
Chris Christie Gets in Argument With Constituent Outside Polls
Salon calls it 'most Christie way possible' to say goodbye to voters
- Chris Christie still has a couple more months as governor of New Jersey, but on the day his eventual successor was elected , Christie offered what Salon calls a pretty fitting goodbye to voters in his state. While chatting with reporters outside his local polling site Tuesday, Christie was approached by...
For GOP, the Perils of
'Trumpism Without Trump'
Nov 8, 2017 10:05 AM CST
For GOP, the Perils of 'Trumpism Without Trump'
Democrats have a great night in Virginia and elsewhere
- The dust is settled on Tuesday night's election results , and most pundits are declaring them worthy of a big celebration for Democrats. The big win, of course, came in Virginia, where Ralph Northam fended off Ed Gillespie in the governor's race, though there's disagreement on how much...
In Tuesday's Biggest Race,
Trump Looms Large
Nov 7, 2017 10:28 AM CST
In Tuesday's Biggest Race, Trump Looms Large
Virginia governor's race is neck and neck
- America votes on Tuesday, and the biggest race on the ballot is in Virginia. Democrat Ralph Northam and Republican Ed Gillespie are in a razor-tight race for governor that has turned into a referendum on President Trump. Gillespie has closed the gap in the polls with a series of ads...
Why So Many
Pollsters Were So
Nov 9, 2016 12:54 PM CST
Why So Many Pollsters Were So Completely Wrong
Some theories as to where it went off the rails
- The prevailing question the morning after Donald Trump's stunning victory is: How did so many get it so wrong? An "absolutely unreal" "Chance of Winning Presidency" graphic on the
New York Times'
forecasting page Tuesday evening showed Trump ascending from a 20% chance of winning the White...
Obama: 'Presidency Is
Bigger Than Any of Us'
Nov 9, 2016 12:00 PM CST
Obama: 'Presidency Is Bigger Than Any of Us'
President speaks on the election, Clinton, Trump, and the nation's future
- President Obama called Donald Trump in the early morning hours after the president-elect claimed victory in Election 2016, extending an invite to visit the White House on Thursday to talk about the power transition. After Hillary Clinton delivered her concession speech Wednesday morning from Manhattan's New Yorker Hotel, Obama...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Amended Autopsy Report: McClain Died Due to Ketamine
Elton John's WH Concert Ends With a Big Surprise
He Wanted to Be Taller. Agony, $75K Got Him There
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
9 Months Later, Case of Lina Sardar Khil Still Baffles
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.