Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Diet Plan May Not Work
Apr 21, 2022 1:40 PM CDT
Popular Time-Restricted Diet Plan May Not Work
Comprehensive study suggests limiting meals to a certain time window doesn't matter
- It's a been a popular fitness trend in recent years—people limit their meals to a certain window each day. Small-scale studies suggested this form of intermittent fasting helped people lose weight, but a comprehensive new study concludes otherwise, reports the
New York Times
. The yearlong study out of...
This Famous Stunt Dieter's
Approach: Empathy, Shame
Mar 13, 2022 4:05 PM CDT
This Famous Stunt Dieter's Approach: Empathy, Shame
Like many diet and fitness programs, this may not align with the latest medical research
- Trainer Drew Manning is "the world's most influential stunt dieter," proclaims the headline of Spenser Mestel's piece for
Manning, he explains, is known for his binge-based, emotionally charged Fit2Fat2Fit brand and went viral in 2011 when he spent six months getting fat on...
Christian Diet Guru,
6 Others Die When
Plane Goes Into Lake
May 30, 2021 11:15 AM CDT
Christian Diet Guru, 6 Others Die When Plane Goes Into Lake
Gwen Lara, proponent of 'faith-based dieting,' founded Remnant Fellowship Church
- Gwen Lara, dieting proponent and church founder, apparently died Saturday when a small plane crashed into a Tennessee lake soon after takeoff. Her husband, actor Joe Lara, and five other people were on the plane,
reports. A witness saw the plane hit the water, and officials said the...
More Americans Are on
Special Diets These Days
Nov 3, 2020 1:47 PM CST
More Americans Are on Special Diets These Days
CDC says half of adults are trying to manage a condition such as diabetes or heart disease
- If it seems like more people are on diets these days, you might not be imagining it. A higher percentage of Americans said they're on a special diet to lose weight or for other health reasons compared with a decade ago, according to a report Tuesday by the US...
I Skip Breakfast,
Lunch Every Day
Jan 16, 2020 2:32 PM CST
Twitter CEO: I Skip Breakfast, Lunch Every Day
Jack Dorsey talks more on his intermittent fasting habits, disputes rumor on his sauna/ice bath habit
- People have a lot of questions about Twitter, and about CEO Jack Dorsey in particular, and on Tuesday, the 43-year-old social media leader tried to answer some of them.
has the video interview , and one of the questions that came in via the platform he oversees wanted to know...
Jan 11, 2020 9:30 AM CST
Actor Undergoes '1K-Pound' Change
Ethan Suplee looks incredibly lean and mean
- That guy with the beard and "Die First, Then Quit" T-shirt is someone you recognize—sort of. It's
Remember the Titans
star Ethan Suplee, who has trimmed down, pumped up, and publicly revealed a grueling battle-with-fat story,
reports. "I learned really quickly that if I wanted...
We May Be at 'Transition
Point' on Fasting Diets
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Dec 29, 2019 6:34 AM CST
We May Be at 'Transition Point' on Fasting Diets
Study sees benefits, though hurdles of adopting the practice are high
- The idea of intermittent fasting is gaining popularity, and newly published research will please advocates. A review of existing studies in the
New England Journal of Medicine
finds evidence that fasting can lead to a range of health benefits, from decreased stress to lower blood pressure to improved cognition and...
Penn Jillette Talks 'Hard-Core'
Magic He Uses to Stay Slim
Jun 17, 2019 7:21 AM CDT
Penn Jillette Talks 'Hard-Core' Magic He Uses to Stay Slim
Magician says he fasts 23 hours each day to maintain 100-pound weight loss
- "I don't respect moderation." That's the reasoning magician Penn Jillette gives the
Los Angeles Times
for both the diet that helped him lose over 100 pounds in just a few months in 2015, and now for the "hard-core" way he maintains that weight loss. In...
Suit: He Skipped 2 Meals, Felt
'Lightheaded.' A Woman Died
Mar 11, 2019 11:28 AM CDT
Suit: He Skipped 2 Meals, Felt 'Lightheaded.' A Woman Died
Lawsuit says driver's Whole30 diet caused accident that killed Susan Matthies, 68
- A lawsuit blames a driver and his diet for the death of a woman struck in a Safeway parking lot, saying he was lightheaded after skipping two meals when he lost control of the truck he was driving. Susan Matthies, 68, was putting groceries in her car in Dallas, Ore....
Changes Its Name
Sep 24, 2018 11:28 AM CDT
Weight Watchers Changes Its Name
You don't need a weight-loss goal to join anymore
- Weight Watchers' name is slimming down. The company on Monday announced that it would simply be known as WW going forward—with that double-W relating to some new sets of letters. In a bid to shift from the dieting space into the broader wellness space, it's adopting the tagline...
Dieting 'Screwed Up' My Body
Aug 26, 2018 2:00 PM CDT
Emma Thompson: Dieting 'Screwed Up' My Body
The British actress reveals her dieting woes to the 'Guardian'
- Emma Thompson is no stranger to punchy interviews. The 59-year-old British actress—who recently joked with Yahoo Movies UK about Hollywood needing to "exhume" male actors to play opposite her—has opened up about her terrible dieting experience. "Dieting screwed up my metabolism, and it messed with my...
The Best Diets Ranked
Jan 5, 2018 6:08 PM CST
The Best Diets Ranked
Our ground-breaking all-cookie diet didn't make the cut
- Having trouble sticking to a diet? Maybe you just haven't found the right one. Let
US News & World Report
be your guide. The publication consulted with a panel of health experts to rank 40 of the most popular diets in multiple categories. They judged diets on safety, nutritiousness,...
More Bad News
on Yo-Yo Dieting
Apr 7, 2017 8:30 PM CDT
More Bad News on Yo-Yo Dieting
People with coronary heart disease have something else to worry about
- Losing weight is one thing, keeping it off quite another. And now researchers are finding that among those with coronary heart disease (CHD)—which the Mayo Clinic reports develops from damaged or diseased blood vessels typically caused by blockage and inflammation—yo-yo dieting may dramatically increase the risk of stroke,...
New Weight-Loss Aid:
Sweet Potato Wastewater?
Dec 14, 2016 10:14 AM CST
New Weight-Loss Aid: Sweet Potato Wastewater?
Mice lost weight after consuming it in new study
- Tired of Thanksgiving weight gain? Next year you might want to pass on the sweet potato pie and drink a tall glass of sweet potato wastewater instead. That's what a new study in the
hints at with what
says "might be the weirdest weight-loss...
Yo-Yo Dieting Is Bad
for Women's Hearts
Nov 16, 2016 11:47 AM CST
Yo-Yo Dieting Is Bad for Women's Hearts
'Weight cycling' appears to be a significant risk factor for otherwise healthy women
- Lots of people are trying to lose weight—24% of American men and 38% of American women—but most who succeed also gain it back quickly, reports Medical News Daily . This so-called "weight cycling" or "yo-yo effect" could end up being quite hard on the hearts of both...
Man Vows to Keep
Potato-Only Diet for a Year
Feb 12, 2016 7:26 AM CST
Man Vows to Keep Potato-Only Diet for a Year
Andrew Taylor says he's already lost 30 pounds in 2016
- A little over 40 days into 2016, Andrew Taylor has lost more than 30 pounds eating as much as he likes. The catch: He's only eating potatoes. The Australian man—who weighed 333 pounds at the start of the year—says he decided to go on a spud diet...
Study: Carbs Are
Not a Dieter's Enemy
Aug 14, 2015 12:30 PM CDT
Study: Carbs Are Not a Dieter's Enemy
A physician's mathematical model proves to be correct
- Think carbs are a dieter's enemy? It turns out restricting one's fat intake leads to a 68% greater loss of body fat than restricting the same amount of calories through carbohydrates in obese adults on strictly controlled diets—and this is in spite of the fact that a...
Best Diet for
Jul 1, 2015 8:08 AM CDT
Best Diet for Weight Loss: Veganism
A review of diets finds that those who go vegan lose the most weight fastest
- If you want to lose weight and you want to lose it fast, a review of 12 weight loss studies concludes that your road to success is a vegan one. Reporting in the
Journal of General Internal Medicine
, Ru-Yi Huang of E-Da Hospital in Taiwan finds in her review of...
Good for You
Mar 30, 2015 6:50 PM CDT
Why Nuts, Peanuts Are Good for You After All
It's time to turn nuts' reputation around
- You may hear that nuts and peanuts are fattening, constipating, and allergy-inducing, but don't worry: They're good for you after all, the
New York Times
reports. Several large studies —at least two with tens of thousands of participants—found that more nut consumption led to less chance...
Zaps You While You Eat
Sep 4, 2014 1:55 PM CDT
'Fat-Shaming' Fork Zaps You While You Eat
HAPIfork flashes and vibrates when you eat too fast
- Since you probably don't feel awful enough while eating chocolate cake, the HAPIfork is here to make you feel worse. At least that's the general consensus about the high-tech, bulky utensil that vibrates and flashes when you eat too fast, the
Los Angeles Times
reports. The weight-loss gadget...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Freak Wave Slams Cruise Ship, Claims Life of Passenger
Green Book Actor Found Dead on Bronx Street
Dad: My Baby ODed on Fentanyl at Public Park
Activists Behind 'Despicable' Robocalls Hear Their Fate
Teen Campaigning for Warnock Shot on Doorstep
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.