Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Toddler Takes Himself on
$2K Online Shopping Spree
Jan 25, 2022 7:38 AM CST
Toddler Takes Himself on $2K Online Shopping Spree
22-month-old Ayaansh Kumar teaches his parents a lesson about phone security
- Born at the start of the pandemic, Ayaansh Kumar is no stranger to screens. The 22-month-old from Monmouth Junction, NJ, often plays on mom Madhu Kumar's phone, mimicking his older siblings who've been studying virtually over the last two years. However, his parents never expected that he was...
RIP to an Iconic
Jan 4, 2022 7:27 AM CST
RIP to an Iconic Mobile Device
BlackBerry is discontinuing service after Tuesday on all of its devices not running on Android software
- If you're still clinging to your older BlackBerry not for nostalgia's sake but for actual functionality, you're out of luck after today. In what multiple outlets are calling the "end of an era," the Canadian company known for its once-ubiquitous mobile devices with thumb-friendly QWERTY...
Man Steals Reporter's Phone,
Has Face Seen by Millions
Oct 21, 2021 11:44 AM CDT
Man Steals Reporter's Phone, Has Face Seen by Millions
Egyptian man was arrested hours later
- A Cairo-area reporter had his phone grabbed from his hands by a thief on a motorbike, but it wasn't exactly the perfect crime—the reporter had been livestreaming a broadcast at the time, and the thief's face was seen by millions. The Youm7 news site says its reporter,...
In a Shot at Apple, Europe
Plans New Law on Chargers
Sep 23, 2021 11:17 AM CDT
In a Shot at Apple, Europe Plans New Law on Chargers
Legislation would require that phones, etc., use universal charger, a USB-C
- Anyone who's fought with a tangle of wires hunting for the right charger may find themselves cheering a proposed law in Europe: It would require that all phones, tablets, and all other such electronic devices use the same type of charger—a USB-C, reports the BBC . Apple is already...
Lithuania to Citizens: Dump
Those Phones From China
Sep 22, 2021 11:33 AM CDT
Lithuania to Citizens: Dump Those Phones From China
Nation warns that devices from Huawei, others could be vulnerable to cyberattacks, censoring
- Citizens in Lithuania may want to double-check what country their smartphones were made in, as there's now a new warning out from the defense ministry telling them to dump devices manufactured in one particular country. "Our recommendation is to not buy new Chinese phones, and to get rid...
Apple: Don't Attach iPhones
to High-Power Motorcycles
Sep 13, 2021 6:45 PM CDT
Apple: Don't Attach iPhones to High-Power Motorcycles
Company says it can permanently damage camera
- The iPhone apparently was not born to be wild. Apple warned users last week that attaching iPhones to powerful motorcycles exposes the devices to " intense high-amplitude vibrations" that could damage camera systems, the BBC reports. A support document released Friday states that vibrations "transmitted through the chassis and...
Can You Stay Away From Tech
for a Day? $2.4K Awaits
Mar 22, 2021 8:45 AM CDT
Can You Stay Away From Tech for a Day? $2.4K Awaits
Reviews.org's 'detox' challenge offers the chance to ditch your phone, TV, other devices for cash prize
- Could you go a whole day without checking your smartphone, posting on Instagram, and watching TV? There could be $2,400 in it for you if you think you're up for the task. CNN reports on the 2021 Digital Detox Challenge being held by Reviews.org , which offers a...
Verizon's Advice on Saving
Battery Life Was 'a Bit Weird'
Mar 1, 2021 8:39 AM CST
Verizon's Advice on Saving Battery Life Was 'a Bit Weird'
Tweet indirectly suggested turning off 5G, which the company has been heavily promoting
- Just last week, MarketWatch asked: "Will 5G ever live up to the hype?" According to those who spotted now-deleted tweets from Verizon about the much-promoted cellular technology, it looks like the answer, at least for now, is somewhat of a no. The Verge first spotted the company's Sunday...
Are You Using Your
iPhone's 'Secret Button'?
in case you missed it
Nov 7, 2020 7:00 AM CST
Are You Using Your iPhone's 'Secret Button'?
Back of the phone has been touch-sensitive since late September
- The latest update to iPhone software added a nifty new feature that may have escaped the attention of many users. It added what Chaim Gartenberg at the
calls a "secret button"—the back of the phone. The Back Tap feature turns the "entire back of your...
Phone Costs $2K
Sep 1, 2020 2:55 PM CDT
Samsung's New Phone Costs $2K
Folding phone is 'definitely a luxury device'
- Samsung has again unveiled a folding phone with a price tag of almost $2,000—and it says the $1,999 Galaxy Z Fold 2 won't suffer from the issues that plagued the original Galaxy Fold last year. Samsung says the phone, its third folding phone and one that...
FBI Cracks Phone of Shooter
on Base, Finds al-Qaeda Link
May 18, 2020 10:20 AM CDT
FBI Cracks Phone of Shooter on Base, Finds al-Qaeda Link
Saudi shooter at Pensacola naval base killed 3 Americans
- Last year, a Saudi military officer training at a US naval base in Florida shot and killed three American sailors and wounded eight others. Now, federal authorities have finally broken into one or both of his iPhones and discovered a link to al-Qaeda, reports the
New York Times
. The gunman,...
Apple, Google Plan
Virus Tracing on
Apr 10, 2020 5:15 PM CDT
Apple, Google Plan Virus Tracing on Smartphones
Users would be warned they'd been exposed to someone who tested positive
- Apple and Google announced Friday that they're teaming up to build software that would let people use their smartphones to follow the potential spread of the coronavirus. Contact tracing could support governments removing stay-at-home orders, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. The tools would use Bluetooth to keep track of...
The Proper Way
to Clean Your Phone
Mar 13, 2020 12:57 PM CDT
The Proper Way to Clean Your Phone
The AP has some tips, including what not to do
- You're washing your hands countless times a day to try to ward off the coronavirus. You should also wash that extension of your hand and breeding ground for germs—your phone, per the AP . Tests done by scientists show that the virus can live for two to three days...
This Is Why
Movie Bad Guys
Never Have iPhones
Feb 27, 2020 9:20 AM CST
This Is Why Movie Bad Guys Never Have iPhones
Knives Out director spills the beans
- In the version of the world that Apple wants to see on the big screen, only the good guys have iPhones, according to
director Rian Johnson. In what may be a spoiler for
and numerous other films, Johnson tells
Beware of This
Feb 8, 2020 3:00 PM CST
When Traveling, Beware of This
Experts warn against using public USB charging stations
- Travel much? You may already know not to fire up your devices on free USB public charging stations, but if not, here's the warning: "Depending on the vulnerability they exploit, they would have access to everything you would have access to on your phone," cybersecurity pro Jim...
Nov 14, 2019 3:33 PM CST
Razr Returns, Only Different
Motorola includes a functioning retro mode for reliving the original
- Motorola is bracing for the future by returning to the past . The company is adapting its historical flip-phone design for a smartphone with a foldable screen. Samsung, Huawei, and others have phones that fold like a book and offer a double-size display when unfolded. Motorola’s new Razr phone, on...
A Cheaper iPhone May
Be Headed Our Way
Oct 14, 2019 11:19 AM CDT
A Cheaper iPhone May Be Headed Our Way
Renowned analyst predicts iPhone SE 2 will cost $399, arrive sometime in first quarter of 2020
- As Mashable puts it, Ming-Chi Kuo "tends to be right a lot of the time," meaning people are paying attention to his latest reveal on a possible new iPhone. MacRumors reports the analyst is adding to his previous disclosure that he thinks Apple is planning on releasing a...
New Cameras Have One
Goal: Catch Drivers on Phones
Sep 24, 2019 12:11 PM CDT
New Cameras Have One Goal: Catch Drivers on Phones
Australia's New South Wales may be the first to employ the technology
- Australia's most populous state is trying to get people to put down their phones while driving by rolling out cameras to prosecute distracted motorists. New South Wales Roads Minister Andrew Constance says his is the first jurisdiction in the world to use such technology to punish drivers distracted by...
Cops Go Undercover in Georgia
Jul 21, 2019 6:15 PM CDT
Cops Go Undercover in Georgia
Police hand out tickets under the state's hands-free law
- Drivers in Cobb County, Georgia got a little surprise this week when construction workers turned out to be undercover cops, CBS News reports. The helmet-wearing officers aimed to stop drivers from using smartphones behind the wheel, and wrote 170 tickets at one crossing alone in only a few hours, mostly...
We're Growing Little Skull
Horns Because of Our Phones
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jun 23, 2019 3:35 PM CDT
We're Growing Little Skull Horns Because of Our Phones
Peer-reviewed research finds spikes at back of the skull, just above the neck
- It sounds like a crazy tabloid headline—humans are growing little horns in the back of their skulls. Except it comes not from a tabloid but a peer-reviewed study in
. Australian researchers say more people, young ones especially, are showing up with what's known as an "...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman Accuses Pastor in Front of His Church
One Fell Off the Cliff. The Other 3 Followed
Officials Determine What Killed US Tourists at Bahamas Resort
She Was the City's Only Doctor. Russians Put a Bag Over Her Head
Conway Spills on George, Kushner, Trump in New Book
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.