Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Austin City Manager Fired
Over Ice Storm Response
Feb 16, 2023 4:56 AM CST
Austin City Manager Fired Over Ice Storm Response
Winter storm left more than 100K without power for days
- Austin City Manager Spencer Cronk has been fired amid public anger over the city's slow response to an ice storm that left more than 100,000 people without power for days earlier this month—but a hefty severance package might soften the blow. Cronk, who was appointed in 2018,...
Feb 5, 2023 5:25 PM CST
Below Zero One Day, 45 Above the Next
Temperatures soar in Northeast, especially, after brutal cold
- Temperatures in many areas of the Northeast US climbed to the mid-40s Fahrenheit on Sunday, a day after the region suffered through temperatures that plummeted into the negative teens and felt like minus 45 to minus 50 degrees with the wind chill. Atop 6,288-foot Mount Washington in New Hampshire,...
It's Dangerously Cold in
the Northeast Right Now
Feb 4, 2023 10:45 AM CST
It's Dangerously Cold in the Northeast Right Now
Region hit with dangerous 'Arctic intrusion'; wind chill atop NH's Mount Washington hit minus 108
- Arctic air descended into the Northeast on Saturday morning, bringing dangerously cold subzero temperatures and wind chills that dropped from minus 45 to minus 50 degrees Fahrenheit in many areas. Atop Mount Washington in New Hampshire's White Mountains, the overnight wind chill was measured at minus 108 degrees, according...
Wreak Havoc in Asia
Jan 25, 2023 8:54 AM CST
Freezing Temps Wreak Havoc in Asia
Parts of Japan could see coldest weather in a decade; more than 100 are dead in Afghanistan
- Snow, wind, and freezing temperatures are wreaking havoc across Asia, and in some places it's turned deadly. Earlier this week, more than 120 people died in Afghanistan from the cold, while in China's northernmost city of Mohe, known as "China's North Pole," record lows of...
With Tips for
Feb 18, 2021 2:30 PM CST
Twitter Thread Goes Viral With Tips for Freezing Texans
Towels, blankets, pantyhose, pool noodles, even your own armpits can prove invaluable
- As a writer living in Michigan, Rebecca Mix is no stranger to winter storms and the resulting power outages. That's why she decided to share her tips for keeping as toasty and safe as possible when you've got no heat, no electricity, and perhaps no water, per Digg...
Texas Wind Turbines
Feb 16, 2021 12:00 AM CST
Texas Wind Turbines Are Frozen
Unprecedented storm continues to take its toll
- The historic winter storm causing power outages, canceled flights , and lots of snow and ice across Texas has also frozen many wind turbines in the state. So many, in fact, that nearly half of the state's installed wind power generation capacity is offline, the
reports. The unfrozen...
It's Snowing in Texas
Feb 15, 2021 2:21 AM CST
It's Snowing in Texas
The entire state is under a winter storm warning
- It is surprisingly cold in Texas currently, with the entire state under a winter storm warning and heavy snow coming down in many areas. CBS DFW reports a federal emergency declaration was approved for the state, after Gov. Greg Abbott declared a disaster Friday and warned residents that the entire...
Thought We Avoided the
Polar Vortex? Not So Fast
May 8, 2020 11:44 AM CDT
Thought We Avoided the Polar Vortex? Not So Fast
Parts of Northeast US may experience rare May snow, record low temps
- The northeastern US is about to get a cold spring farewell from the polar vortex, which could bring rare May snowfall and record-low temperatures to some areas over the Mother's Day weekend. Usually the polar vortex is a batch of cold air that stays trapped in the Arctic all...
Child Takes Action After
Power Dies in Bitter Cold
Dec 7, 2019 9:30 AM CST
Child Takes Action After Power Dies in Bitter Cold
Guardian Julie Peter, 37, has been arrested
- Talk about gutsy: A 5-year-old picked up a toddler and trekked through freezing temperatures after the power went out in their home, Fox News reports. The children had been left alone in Venetie, Alaska, where temperatures fell to 31 degrees below zero outside—not unusual in the village some 155...
Can Kill You
Jan 31, 2019 2:34 PM CST
Here's How Cold Weather Can Kill You
An explanation of hypothermia, and the not quite as dangerous but still pretty bad frostbite
- With at least eight deaths linked to the polar vortex currently gripping much of the US, LiveScience offers an answer to the question many likely have on their minds: How does a person freeze to death? As the site explains, the two main health problems that are a danger in...
In Frigid Chicago, Those
Booms May Be 'Frost Quakes'
Jan 31, 2019 12:45 PM CST
In Frigid Chicago, Those Booms May Be 'Frost Quakes'
Weather phenomenon involves water freezing and expanding underground
- Already suffering brutally low temperatures, some Chicago residents were alarmed on Wednesday night by booming sounds, reports WGN TV . "I thought I was crazy! I was up all night because I kept hearing it," a local viewer posted on Facebook. Per CNN , meteorologists suspect the sounds were caused...
Tiny Frogs' No. 1 Option:
Hold in Pee All Winter
May 2, 2018 9:20 AM CDT
Tiny Frogs' No. 1 Option: Hold in Pee All Winter
Behold the wood frog, which literally freezes to 'death' and comes back to life
- If you've ever been unable to find a bathroom in a moment of need, you know the gotta-go feeling. That's nothing compared to the wood frog, which doesn't urinate all winter; in Alaska, that's eight months without peeing, reports the AP . Scientists have figured out how...
2-Year-Old Ohio Girl
Dies on Frigid Afternoon
Feb 5, 2018 2:41 PM CST
2-Year-Old Ohio Girl Dies on Frigid Afternoon
The Akron girl was discovered by her mother on porch
- The temperature never got above 19 degrees in Akron, Ohio, on Friday, and on that frigid afternoon, a 2-year-old girl lost her life. The
Akron Beacon Journal
reports police are investigating the death, which occurred after the mother found the toddler unresponsive on a porch—which the paper describes as...
In NH's White Mountains,
Wind Chills of -100 Degrees
Jan 6, 2018 6:30 AM CST
In NH's White Mountains, Wind Chills of -100 Degrees
East Coast set to have a wickedly cold Saturday
- Brutally cold conditions are expected to envelop the East Coast most of this weekend, prompting wind chill warnings from Virginia to Vermont. Temperatures will reach close to zero from Philadelphia to Boston through Saturday night, with wind chills making it feel like minus 10 degrees to minus 20 degrees. Even...
In Parts of East Coast,
Temps Will Feel
as Low as -15
Jan 5, 2018 1:00 AM CST
In Parts of East Coast, Temps Will Feel as Low as -15
Stay warm, Philly
- East Coast residents are bracing for a deep freeze a day after a massive winter storm slammed the region with heavy snow, hurricane-force winds, and coastal flooding. Forecasters predict that record-breaking cold air and strong winds will set people's teeth chattering like castanets from the mid-Atlantic to New England...
5 US Cities Where
It's Astoundingly Cold
Jan 2, 2018 8:20 AM CST
5 US Cities Where It's Astoundingly Cold
Omaha broke an 1884 record
- Bone-chilling cold gripped much of the US as 2018 began, breaking century-old records and leading to several deaths that authorities attributed to exposure to the dangerously low temperatures. The National Weather Service issued wind chill advisories and freeze warnings Tuesday covering a vast area from South Texas to Canada and...
Winter Olympics Sites Should
Be Cold—But Not This Cold
Dec 8, 2017 11:10 AM CST
Winter Olympics Sites Should Be Cold—But Not This Cold
S. Korea officials worry roofless arena will leave spectators for 2018 Games freezing and miserable
- What may soon become the next Olympic sport: extreme spectating. At least, that's what organizers for the 2018 Pyeongchang Games in South Korea are worried about during the opening and closing ceremonies in February, each expected to last between four and five hours. Reuters has glimpsed an internal document...
More Heart Attacks
Aug 29, 2017 8:20 AM CDT
Cold Weather May Trigger More Heart Attacks
Drop in air temps could be a risk for people with plaques in their arteries
- When the temperature drops, the number of heart attacks goes up, according to a massive 16-year study of some 280,000 patients in Sweden. "There is seasonal variation in the occurrence of heart attack, with incidence declining in summer and peaking in winter," says the lead author in...
Steps From Home, Tragedy
for 97-Year-Old Twins
Mar 6, 2017 7:37 AM CST
Steps From Home, Tragedy for 97-Year-Old Twins
Rhode Island sisters apparently froze to death after both falling outside
- A double tragedy took the lives of 97-year-old twin sisters over the weekend in Rhode Island. Jean Haley and Martha Williams were found Saturday morning after both fell outside the door of Haley's home in Barrington on Friday night, reports the
. Police don't suspect foul play....
Here Comes the Polar Vortex
Dec 8, 2016 9:34 AM CST
Here Comes the Polar Vortex
Hopefully it won't be as bitterly cold as 2014's
- A somewhat ominous tweet from The Weather Channel on Wednesday evening offered fair warning about a returning winter phenomenon. Showing frigid temperatures dipping into the teens, single digits, and even minuses in some parts of the country, the tweet read: "No, these are not forecast low temperatures. These are...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
Dr Pepper's Tuition Toss Was a Lot More Exciting Than Usual
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.