Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Autopsies In on Family Who
Died Trying to Live Off the Grid
Sep 1, 2023 2:17 PM CDT
Autopsies In on Family Who Died Trying to Live Off the Grid
Christine and Rebecca Vance and latter's teen son likely died of malnutrition, hypothermia
- The stepsister of a Colorado woman who was found dead along with her sister and teenage son at a remote Rocky Mountain campsite says the women fled into the wilderness after struggling to cope with societal changes in recent years, but they were unequipped to survive off the grid. Exposed...
Decomposed Bodies Belong to
Sisters Trying to Live Off-Grid
Jul 26, 2023 11:12 AM CDT
Decomposed Bodies Belong to Sisters Trying to Live Off-Grid
Remains of Rebecca and Christine Vance and 14-year-old boy were found in Colorado
- Three decomposed bodies found earlier this month at a remote Colorado campsite have been identified as those of two sisters and a teenage son from Colorado Springs who sought to live "off the grid." A hiker came across one of the bodies in the Gunnison National Forest, located...
8 Bodies Found in River
Near US-Canadian Border
Apr 1, 2023 7:30 AM CDT
8 Bodies Found in River Near US-Canadian Border
Canadian police say 2 families, including an infant, were trying to cross St. Lawrence to get to US
- On Thursday, Canadian authorities recovered six bodies from the St. Lawrence River, near the border with the United States. On Friday, two more bodies were found, including an infant, bringing the total number of the dead to eight—six adults and two children. Police now say that the deceased, who...
Name Now Attached
to Lake Mead Bones
Mar 29, 2023 9:25 AM CDT
Name Now Attached to Lake Mead Bones
Remains found in Callville Bay area belong to 1974 drowning victim Donald Smith: officials
- Skeletal remains found in Lake Mead in October belong to a Las Vegas man who died almost 50 years ago. Donald Smith, identified through DNA analysis, was 39 when he drowned at the national recreation area in April 1974, Clark County officials say, per KLAS . His bones were found in...
Update on Soccer
Feb 18, 2023 5:30 AM CST
Heartbreaking Update on Soccer Player Caught in Quake
Body of Christian Atsu, 31, found in Antakya, Turkey, after initially being reported as rescued
- Christian Atsu, the Ghana international forward who played for Premier League clubs Chelsea and Newcastle, has died in the earthquake in Turkey. He was 31. Search teams recovered Atsu's body in the ruins of a luxury 12-story building where he'd been living in the city of Antakya, Hatay...
Cops Reveal Cause of Death
for Michigan Rappers, Friend
Feb 8, 2023 7:27 AM CST
Cops Reveal Cause of Death for Michigan Rappers, Friend
3 men, whose bodies were found Thursday in Highland Park, were shot to death, police say
- The autopsies are in. Three men who vanished before two of them were set to perform a hip-hop set at a Detroit club last month were shot to death, each with multiple gunshot wounds, reports ClickOnDetroit.com . The frozen bodies of rappers Armani Kelly, 27, and Dante Wicker, 31, along...
Bodies Dumped in Bogs Over
7K Years Reveal a Nasty End
Feb 4, 2023 10:00 AM CST
Bodies Dumped in Bogs Over 7K Years Reveal a Nasty End
Signs of violence, including 'overkilling,' found in first comprehensive study of bog bodies
- Ancient bodies pulled from bogs are often so well preserved, they could pass for modern-day murder victims . And they're often murder victims. A new study covering 7,000 years of history across the New Stone, Bronze, Iron, and Middle Ages finds most human remains discovered naturally mummified in bogs—...
Lake Search Completes
Family Tragedy in Minnesota
Jul 3, 2022 8:06 AM CDT
Lake Search Completes Family Tragedy in Minnesota
3 young children, parents are dead in suspected murder-suicide
This story has been updated throughout with new developments.
The bodies of three young children and a woman believed to be their mother have been recovered from a Minnesota lake, and authorities say the deaths are being investigated as murder-suicide, per the AP . The body of the children's...
Missing Man's Family
Jun 15, 2022 6:16 AM CDT
Brazil Apologizes for Misinforming Missing Man's Family
Bodies were not found, ambassador says
Brazilian authorities on Tuesday said the family of a British journalist who went missing in the Amazon had been incorrectly informed that two bodies, likely the journalist and the Indigenous expert who vanished along with him, had been found. "We are deeply sorry the Embassy passed on to...
Kids Last Seen Friday Found
in 'Absolute Horrible Tragedy'
Dec 20, 2021 10:50 AM CST
Kids Last Seen Friday Found in 'Absolute Horrible Tragedy'
3 children among 7 people found dead in home in Moorhead, Minn., with no info yet on how they died
- Authorities said Sunday that the bodies of seven people were discovered inside a twin home in a northwestern Minnesota city, but they didn't say how they died. Police said the victims included four adults and three children. They were found just before 8pm Saturday by family members conducting a...
Tragic Find Made in
Search for Missing Teens
Jul 8, 2021 11:14 AM CDT
Tragic Find Made in Search for Missing Teens
SUV fell hundreds of feet off cliff
- The search for a teenage California couple missing for almost a week came to a tragic end Tuesday when two bodies were found in an SUV that had plunged hundreds of feet off a winding mountain road. The mangled vehicle was spotted by a volunteer with a search and rescue...
Jun 7, 2021 11:31 AM CDT
Cops: Driver Knocked 2 People Off Bridge, Fled
Police in Wilkesboro, NC, are seeking driver in deadly hit-and-run
- North Carolina police are seeking a driver in a hit-and-run that left two people dead over the weekend. Per the
, the bodies of a male and female were found Sunday around 2:30pm under Wilkesboro's Curtis Bridge, which passes over the Yadkin River. Local police said in a...
Find at School Site
a 'Horrifying Reminder'
of Indigenous Abuse
May 29, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
Find at School Site a 'Horrifying Reminder' of Indigenous Abuse
Ground-penetrating radar on property in British Columbia, Canada, finds remains of 215 children
- The site of a residential school that was once the largest in Canada has been hiding a gruesome secret for more than 40 years—one that serves as "a horrifying reminder of the abuses against Indigenous people in Canada," per CTV News . On Friday, Chief Rosanne Casimir of...
Alleged Cult Leader
Dies, Followers Apparently
Can't Part With Her
May 5, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Alleged Cult Leader Dies, Followers Apparently Can't Part With Her
7 members of Love Has Won religious group kept mummified remains of Amy Carlson in home
- Police say a man returned to his rural Colorado home last week to find a mummified woman, who "appeared to be set up in some type of shrine." The face, with missing eyes, was caked in glittery makeup, and the body was wrapped in a sleeping bag and...
'Horror on Top of Heartbreak'
After Funeral Vehicle Stolen
Feb 12, 2021 10:09 AM CST
'Horror on Top of Heartbreak' After Funeral Vehicle Stolen
Woman's body was inside van taken from St. Louis convenience store
- In this week's "you had one job" post, a Missouri funeral home driver may be in a bit of trouble after an incident in St. Louis. Per KSDK , which deems the case "horror on top of heartbreak," local police are on the hunt for a white...
Woman's Fear of
Eviction Led to
Jan 30, 2021 9:00 AM CST
Cops: Japan Woman's Fear of Eviction Led to Gruesome Act
Yumi Yoshino stashed mom's body in freezer for 10 years so she could stay in apartment: authorities
- A Japanese woman is being detained "on suspicion of abandoning and hiding a female body"—with the body being that of her own mother. Per the
, cops say that 48-year-old Yumi Yoshino kept her mom's remains for about 10 years in a freezer in their once-shared...
In Search for Human
Bodies, Plants May Be Key
Sep 8, 2020 10:35 AM CDT
In Search for Human Bodies, Plants May Be Key
Chemicals from decomposing remains may trigger visible changes in vegetation
- Researchers are toying with a new idea that could transform grueling and expensive body-recovery missions, and it involves what you might call cadaver plants. Yes, plants. Neal Stewart, a biologist at the University of Tennessee, has long been interested in the ways plants sense and respond to stresses. Now, he...
7 People, One Dog
Dead in 'Horrific Scene'
Jun 5, 2020 11:06 AM CDT
7 People, One Dog Dead in 'Horrific Scene'
Authorities trying to piece together what happened in mass shooting in Morgan County, Alabama
- Deputies responding to a call about a shooting in Alabama early Friday found seven people dead inside a home that had been set afire, news outlets reported, per the AP . Morgan County deputies were able to put out the fire before firefighters got to the scene, and that’s when...
They Showed Up to
Work on the Bridge.
They Made a Grim Find
May 16, 2020 6:00 AM CDT
They Showed Up to Work on the Bridge. They Made a Grim Find
Bodies of 2 sisters found in Georgia, and investigators say it was a double homicide
- The bodies of a teen about to graduate from high school and her older sister were found under a Georgia bridge this week, and police say it's now a homicide investigation. CNN identifies the women as 19-year-old Vanita Richardson and 31-year-old Truvenia Campbell. The news site says the women...
Bodies Were Sent From
Hospital in Back of Pickup
Apr 24, 2020 8:48 AM CDT
Bodies Were Sent From Hospital in Back of Pickup
Unacceptable, Philadelphia authorities say
- Pandemic or no pandemic, bodies should not be moved from hospitals to the medical examiner's office in the back of a pickup truck, say officials in Philadelphia—who confirmed that very thing happened. A
photographer saw the truck arrive Sunday with seven bodies in the back. The...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Motherhood May Bring On Interesting Quirk
'Open Secret' at Chicken Slaughterhouses: Kids at Work
In an Unannounced Outing, Carters Attend Plains Festival
Bundchen: 'Now I'm Living,' Not Just 'Surviving'
He's Erasing a 2012 Murder, One Pitch at a Time
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.