Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
or Take Pay Cut
Oct 9, 2023 12:34 PM CDT
Penn Gave Nobel-Winner Ultimatum: Leave, or Take Pay Cut
Katalin Kariko didn't leave, keeping up her dogged research that led to COVID vaccines
- Hungarian researcher Katalin Kariko looks pretty good on paper these days: She co-pioneered mRNA research at the University of Pennsylvania that led to COVID vaccines that helped save millions of lives worldwide during the pandemic; as of last week she has a Nobel for her trouble ; and, just as icing...
She Becomes the 3rd Woman
to Win Economics Nobel
Oct 9, 2023 5:28 AM CDT
She Becomes the 3rd Woman to Win Economics Nobel
Harvard's Claudia Goldin is awarded for her work on women in the labor market
- The Nobel economics prize has been awarded to Claudia Goldin, a professor at Harvard University, for what Nobel officials described as "groundbreaking research" in her work on women in the labor market. Goldin is only the third woman to win the prize, which was announced by Hans Ellegren, secretary-general...
Winner of Nobel Lit Prize: I've
'Cautiously' Prepped for This
Oct 5, 2023 7:04 AM CDT
Winner of Nobel Lit Prize: I've 'Cautiously' Prepped for This
Norwegian author Jon Fosse's works 'give voice to the unsayable'
- Jon Fosse, a master of spare Nordic writing in a sprawling body of work ranging from plays to novels and children's books, won the Nobel Prize in literature on Thursday for works that "give voice to the unsayable." Anders Olsson, chair of the Nobel Committee for Literature,...
Nobel Prize in Chemistry
Winners Revealed in Rare Leak
Oct 4, 2023 5:40 AM CDT
Nobel Prize in Chemistry Winners Revealed in Rare Leak
Moungi Bawendi, Louis Brus, Alexei Ekimov honored for their work on quantum dots
- Two American and one Russian scientist have won the Nobel Prize in chemistry for their work on tiny quantum dots—after receiving an accidental early heads-up. Moungi Bawendi of MIT, Louis Brus of Columbia University, and Alexei Ekimov of Nanocrystals Technology Inc., were honored for their work with the tiny...
Winning a Nobel Isn't
Necessarily Good News
Oct 2, 2023 11:05 AM CDT
Winning a Nobel Isn't Necessarily Good News
Study suggests that scientists who get one might then have a reduced impact on their field
- Nobel season has begun, with the award for medicine having been doled out Monday morning. Winners get $1 million and serious bragging rights should they be so inclined. You might also think the prize translates into the winning scientists going on to have huge impacts in their field, but a...
Nobel Goes to Pair Who
Worked on COVID Vaccines
Oct 2, 2023 5:23 AM CDT
Nobel Goes to Pair Who Worked on COVID Vaccines
Work of Katalin Karikó, Drew Weissman helped fight 'one of the greatest threats to human health'
- Two scientists won the Nobel Prize in medicine on Monday for discoveries that enabled the development of effective mRNA vaccines against COVID-19. As the AP reports, the award was given to Katalin Karikó, a professor at Sagan's University in Hungary and an adjunct professor at the University of Pennsylvania,...
Nobel Team Rescinds
Invite to 3 Nations
Sep 2, 2023 9:00 AM CDT
Nobel Team Rescinds Invite to 3 Nations
Invites to Russia, Belarus, Iran withdrawn after Swedish lawmakers said they'd boycott awards
- The Nobel Foundation on Saturday retracted its invitation for representatives of Russia, Belarus, and Iran to attend this year's Nobel Prize award ceremonies after the controversial decision "provoked strong reactions." Several Swedish lawmakers said Friday they would boycott this year's Nobel Prize award ceremonies in the...
Number of Nobel Peace Prize
Nominees Is Lowest in 4 Years
Feb 22, 2023 11:20 AM CST
Number of Nobel Peace Prize Nominees Is Lowest in 4 Years
305 nominees, and we don't know much about them
- The Norwegian Nobel Committee said Wednesday that 305 candidates were nominated for the 2023 Nobel Peace Prize by the Feb. 1 deadline, the lowest number in four years. The names of the 212 individuals and 93 organizations weren't released, reports the AP , in accordance with committee practice. The Oslo-based...
Ben Bernanke Among Trio to
Share This Year's Final Nobel
Oct 10, 2022 5:46 AM CDT
Ben Bernanke Among Trio to Share This Year's Final Nobel
Nobel Prize in economics was awarded Monday
- This year's Nobel Prize in economic sciences has been awarded to the former chair of the US Federal Reserve, Ben Bernanke, and two US-based economists, Douglas Diamond and Philip Dybvig, "for research on banks and financial crises." In announcing the prize Monday, the AP reports the committee...
Belarus Claims Alfred Nobel
Is 'Turning in His Grave'
Oct 8, 2022 1:20 PM CDT
Belarus Claims Alfred Nobel Is 'Turning in His Grave'
European leaders, meanwhile, praise recognition for rights activists in Belarus, Ukraine, Russia
- Officials in Europe praised the awarding of this year's Nobel Peace Prize to activists standing up for human rights and democracy in Russia, Belarus, and Ukraine, while authorities in Belarus scorned the move. "I hope the Russian authorities read the justification for the peace prize and take it...
Author Who Uses Words Like
'a Knife' Wins Nobel in Literature
Oct 6, 2022 6:41 AM CDT
Author Who Uses Words Like 'a Knife' Wins Nobel in Literature
French author Annie Ernaux, 82, takes home the writing world's big prize
- French author Annie Ernaux is the winner of the Nobel Prize in literature. Ernaux, 82, was cited for "the courage and clinical acuity with which she uncovers the roots, estrangements, and collective restraints of personal memory," the Nobel committee said. Mats Malm, permanent secretary of the Swedish Academy,...
Trio of Nobel Winners Have
Helped Make Chemistry 'Click'
Oct 5, 2022 6:04 AM CDT
Trio of Nobel Winners Have Helped Make Chemistry 'Click'
K. Barry Sharpless wins 2022 honor with Carolyn Bertozzi, Morten Meldal; Sharpless has won before
- This year's Nobel Prize in chemistry has been awarded in equal parts to Carolyn R. Bertozzi, Morten Meldal, and K. Barry Sharpless for developing ways of "snapping molecules together" that can be used to design medicines. Their work, known as click chemistry and bioorthogonal reactions, is used to...
Science Work Earns a Nobel
Oct 4, 2022 5:43 AM CDT
'Groundbreaking' Quantum Science Work Earns a Nobel
Scientists Alain Aspect, John F. Clauser, Anton Zeilinger split 2022's physics prize
- This year's Nobel Prize in physics has been awarded to Alain Aspect of France, John F. Clauser of the US, and Anton Zeilinger of Austria for their work on quantum information science. Hans Ellegren, secretary general of the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences, announced the winners Tuesday at the...
DNA Task Earns
Him a Nobel
Oct 3, 2022 5:52 AM CDT
'Seemingly Impossible' DNA Task Earns Him a Nobel
Swede Svante Paabo wins prize for physiology or medicine for work on human evolution
- This year's Nobel Prize in physiology or medicine has been awarded to Swedish scientist Svante Paabo for his discoveries on human evolution. Thomas Perlmann, secretary of the Nobel Committee, announced the winner Monday at the Karolinska Institute in the Swedish capital of Stockholm. Paabo has spearheaded research comparing the...
for Ukraine, Gets
Jun 21, 2022 6:20 AM CDT
Nobel Winner Sells Medal for Ukraine, Gets Huge Price
Journalist Dmitry Muratov's gold prize went for a staggering $103.5M; proceeds will go to UNICEF
- Ukrainian children and their families who've been uprooted from their homes due to the Russian-led invasion are about to get a boost from a benevolent benefactor. Dmitry Muratov, editor-in-chief of Russia's independent
newspaper, announced earlier this year that he was selling the gold Nobel Peace Prize...
Selling Medal for
Mar 22, 2022 10:10 AM CDT
Nobel Winner Selling Medal for Noble Reasons
Russia's Dmitry Muratov, who won peace prize last year, wants funds raised to assist Ukraine refugees
- People from all over the world are donating where they can to help the millions of refugees streaming out of Ukraine as Russia continues its invasion there—but very few have Nobel Peace Prize gold they can hawk to free up some funds. Russia's Dmitry Muratov is one of...
Nobel Chief Rules Out
Quotas for Gender
Oct 12, 2021 6:50 PM CDT
Nobel Chief Rules Out Quotas for Gender
'In the end, we will give the prize to those who are found the most worthy'
- Just one of this year's 13 Nobel Prize winners was a woman, but the head of the academy that awards the prizes in science has ruled out bringing in quotas to even the balance. Since 1901, only 59 Nobel Prizes—6.2% of the total—have gone to women....
Nobel Winners 'Completely
Reshaped' Economics World
Oct 11, 2021 6:15 AM CDT
Nobel Winners 'Completely Reshaped' Economics World
David Card, Joshua D. Angrist, Guido Imbens show 'many of society's big questions can be answered'
- Three US-based researchers have been awarded the Nobel Prize in Economics for their work that shows "many of society's big questions can be answered," per the Nobel Committee . UC Berkeley's David Card has won half of the top prize "for his empirical contributions to labor...
Writer Takes Home
Nobel for Literature
Oct 7, 2021 6:33 AM CDT
'Uncompromising' Writer Takes Home Nobel for Literature
Abdulrazak Gurnah of Tanzania began writing as a 21-year-old refugee in exile
- The 2021 Nobel Prize for literature was announced Thursday, an award that has in the past honored poets, novelists, and even a songwriter, Bob Dylan. The AP reports that Tanzanian writer Abdulrazak Gurnah took home the top award, with the Swedish Academy noting the Nobel was in recognition of Gurnah'...
Work in a
Oct 6, 2021 5:54 AM CDT
Chemistry Nobel Awarded for Work in a 'Difficult Art'
Benjamin List of Germany and Princeton's David MacMillan win for new way of building molecules
- The Nobel Prize for chemistry has been awarded to German scientist Benjamin List of the Max Planck Institute and Scotland-born scientist David WC MacMillan of Princeton University. They were cited for their work in developing a new way for building molecules known as "asymmetric organocatalysis." The winners were...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Another of Italy's 'Leaning' Towers May Be in Trouble
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Doritos Caters to Gamers With Crunch-Silencing App
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.