Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Ukraine Has Been
Declared a Crime Scene
Jun 1, 2022 6:11 AM CDT
Ukraine Has Been Declared a Crime Scene
ICC makes declaration as 15K war crimes have been reported since Russia invaded
- Since Russia invaded Ukraine, around 15,000 suspected war crimes have been reported so far—and 200-300 more reports come in every day, Ukraine's chief prosecutor says. Several thousand of those were reported in the eastern Donbas region, where fighting is particularly heavy, the BBC reports. Some of the...
Russian Soldier, 21, Thrown in
Prison for Life for War Crime
May 23, 2022 6:36 AM CDT
Russian Soldier, 21, Thrown in Prison for Life for War Crime
Vadim Shishimarin says he was following orders to kill 62-year-old Ukrainian, asks widow to forgive him
- In a big first in the ongoing war in Ukraine, a Russian soldier has been convicted of a war crime and sentenced to life behind bars. The
reports that 21-year-old Sgt. Vadim Shishimarin heard his fate Monday for a crime committed on Feb. 28, just days after the...
Captured Russian on
His Guilt: 'Yes. Fully Yes'
May 18, 2022 8:26 AM CDT
Captured Russian on His Guilt: 'Yes. Fully Yes'
Soldier is accused of gunning down unarmed 62-year-old civilian
A Russian soldier on Wednesday pleaded guilty to charges of killing a Ukrainian civilian just four days after the war began. Sgt. Vadim Shyshimarin pleaded guilty to shooting a 62-year-old man on a bicycle in Chupakhivka in what is being called the first war crimes trial related to the...
Rushed to Ukraine
Apr 29, 2022 1:11 PM CDT
Emergency Contraception Rushed to Ukraine
'The timeframe for treating victims of sexual violence is really essential'
- Aid groups are rushing thousands of doses of emergency contraception to Ukraine amid reports that large numbers of Ukrainian woman are being raped by Russian troops. The International Planned Parenthood Federation says it has sent nearly 3,000 doses of the "morning-after pill" to Ukraine and other groups are...
Mariupol Officials Say
New Mass Grave Found
Apr 25, 2022 5:09 PM CDT
Mariupol Officials Say New Mass Grave Found
Russia says fire at oil depot near Ukraine border won't cause shortages
- Officials in the embattled Ukrainian city of Mariupol say a new mass grave has been identified north of the city. Mayor Vadym Boychenko said authorities are trying to estimate the number of victims in the grave about 6 miles north of the city, the AP reports. Satellite photos released over...
Mayor: Grave Site Is Proof of
'Century's Biggest War Crime'
Apr 22, 2022 7:22 AM CDT
Mayor: Grave Site Is Proof of 'Century's Biggest War Crime'
Mariupol officials say there could be up to 9K civilians in mass graves
- The mayor of Mariupol says 20,000 or more civilians could have died during Russia's long siege of the Ukrainian city—but Russia has been hiding evidence of war crimes and the true death toll may never be known. The
reports that satellite images show more than...
Putin Rewards the
'Butchers of Bucha'
Apr 19, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
Putin Rewards the 'Butchers of Bucha'
Russian president gives the 64th Motor Rifle Brigade an honorary title
- The Russian infantry unit suspected in the mass killings that filled mass graves in Bucha, Ukraine have now been hailed by Putin for their "mass heroism and valor," per the
The Russian president awarded the honorary title of "Guards" to the 64th Motor Rifle Brigade for...
In Bucha, a Summer Camp
Became a Torture Chamber
Apr 14, 2022 3:38 PM CDT
In Bucha, a Summer Camp Became a Torture Chamber
'Time' journalist visits crime scene in Kyiv suburb
- Bucha, once considered one of Kyiv's most attractive suburbs, is now a "byword for war crimes, like Srebrenica or My Lai," writes Simon Shuster at
, who viewed chilling evidence of atrocities at what used to be a children's summer camp. Residents say the Russian troops...
He Played Dead to
Survive Summary Execution
Apr 9, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
He Played Dead to Survive Summary Execution
Ukrainian man says unit was captured, tortured by Russian soldiers in Bucha
- A Ukrainian man says he was shot in the side and played dead to survive after Russian troops executed the other members of his defense unit. The
says it has verified reports of the summary execution, one of countless horrific stories emerging from towns formerly occupied by Russian troops....
Zelensky Calls for
'Firm Global Response'
to Train Station Attack
Apr 9, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
Zelensky Calls for 'Firm Global Response' to Train Station Attack
Kremlin must be held accountable, he says
- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky is calling for a "firm global response" to what he says was another Russian war crime—an attack on a crowded train station in eastern Ukraine that killed at least 52 civilians and injured around 100 more on Friday. Zelensky said an international tribunal should...
France, Germany Expel
Dozens of Russian Diplomats
Apr 5, 2022 12:01 AM CDT
France, Germany Expel Dozens of Russian Diplomats
Zelensky visits scene of atrocities
- Moscow faced global revulsion and dozens of Russian diplomats were expelled from European countries Monday after the Russian pullout from the outskirts of Kyiv r evealed streets strewn with the corpses of civilians and other evidence of apparent war crimes . The French foreign ministry announced Monday that France has decided...
'Brutality Against Civilians'
Europe Hasn't Seen in Decades
Apr 4, 2022 12:00 PM CDT
'Brutality Against Civilians' Europe Hasn't Seen in Decades
International outrage grows as mass graves found around Kyiv region
- President Biden calls it a "war crime," while Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelensky uses the term "genocide." Both are referring to reports and images emerging from areas around Kyiv after Russian soldiers pulled back. Ukraine authorities say they have so far counted the bodies of more than...
Biden on Putin's Tactics:
'I Think It Is a War Crime'
Apr 4, 2022 10:25 AM CDT
Biden on Putin's Tactics: 'I Think It Is a War Crime'
'What's happening in Bucha is outrageous,' he says
- President Biden is again escalating his public condemnation of Vladimir Putin. As evidence emerges of mass atrocities against civilians in areas around Kyiv, Biden on Monday doubled down on his branding of Putin as a "war criminal" and said the US is gathering information about alleged war crimes, reports...
Amnesty Accuses Russia
of War Crimes in Mariupol
Mar 28, 2022 7:35 PM CDT
Amnesty Accuses Russia of War Crimes in Mariupol
'That is the reality of Ukraine right now'
- Amnesty International is accusing Russia of committing war crimes in the Ukrainian port city of Mariupol. The human rights organization will soon release an in-depth report on the devastation caused by Russia's assault on the city on the Sea of Azov, Amnesty's Secretary-General Agnes Callamard said at a...
US Now Unequivocal: Russia
Has Committed War Crimes
Mar 23, 2022 1:28 PM CDT
US Now Unequivocal: Russia Has Committed War Crimes
Secretary of State Antony Blinken announced the formal determination
- The Biden administration on Wednesday made a formal determination that Russian troops have committed war crimes in Ukraine and said it would work with others to prosecute offenders. "Today, I can announce that, based on information currently available, the US government assesses that members of Russia’s forces have...
He Dug a Mass Grave. Then an
Ice Cream Truck Showed Up
Mar 16, 2022 11:40 AM CDT
He Dug a Mass Grave. Then an Ice Cream Truck Showed Up
'NYT' reports on 2 mass gravesites in Syria, which could hold evidence of war crimes
- The murdered dissidents of Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad ended up in mass graves, which could hold evidence of war crimes, the
New York Times
reports after speaking with four men who claim to have worked around two mass gravesites near Damascus, which the
located using satellite images. Each one...
Mar 7, 2022 5:06 PM CST
Ukraine, US Collect Evidence of War Crimes
Teams go to sites of bombings to build a case for International Criminal Court
- The US has joined the effort to build a case that Russia is committing war crimes in its attack on Ukraine, officials said Monday. "We will support accountability using every tool available, including criminal prosecutions where appropriate," a National Security Council spokesperson said, per NBC News . That includes...
Ex-Secret Police Officer Guilty
of Crimes Against Humanity
Jan 13, 2022 4:31 AM CST
Ex-Secret Police Officer Guilty of Crimes Against Humanity
Syrian man was convicted in German court
- A German court has convicted a former Syrian secret police officer of crimes against humanity for overseeing the abuse of detainees at a jail near Damascus a decade ago. The verdict Thursday in the landmark trial has been keenly anticipated by Syrians who suffered abuse or lost relatives at the...
Concentration Camp Secretary,
96, Flees Before Trial Begins
Sep 30, 2021 9:20 AM CDT
Concentration Camp Secretary, 96, Flees Before Trial Begins
Irmgard Furchner was detained hours later
- Some 76 years after the end of World War II, an alleged Nazi war criminal made one last effort to escape justice Thursday. A warrant was issued for the arrest of 96-year-old Irmgard Furchner and she was declared a fugitive after she failed to appear at her trial for aiding...
Aug 11, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
Brutality in Ethiopia Is 'Absolutely Shocking'
Amnesty International says government is using rape as weapon of war
- Ethiopia's military is guilty of war crimes, including using rape as a weapon of war, according to Amnesty International, which shares horrific accounts from victims in a new report . The group says "overwhelming evidence" shows rape has been rampant in Ethiopia's northern Tigray region since fighting between...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Before Trip, Petito Worried About Laundrie's 'Episodes'
At Least 6 Killed, 24 Hurt in Parade Mass Shooting
Cheney: 'Trump Can Never Be Near the Oval Office Again'
'Denmark Was Hit by a Cruel Attack on Sunday Night'
Teen's Sudden Mental Collapse Ended in a National Park
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.