Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
US Hits 4 Russian Soldiers
With War Crimes Charges
Dec 6, 2023 9:50 AM CST
US Hits 4 Russian Soldiers With War Crimes Charges
DOJ says soldiers kidnapped, tortured an American in Ukraine
- The Department of Justice on Wednesday said it has filed war crimes charges against four members of the Russian military accused of abducting and torturing an American during the invasion of Ukraine in a case that's the first of its kind. The four Russians are accused of kidnapping the...
France's Arrest Warrant
for Assad May Mark a First
Nov 15, 2023 10:30 AM CST
France's Arrest Warrant for Assad May Mark a First
Syrian president is accused of war crimes in connection with 2013 chemical attack
- French investigative judges have issued an international arrest warrant for Syrian President Bashar Assad and those close to him. The warrants for Assad, his brother, and two army generals accuse them of complicity in war crimes and crimes against humanity in connection with August 2013 chemical attacks on rebel-held Damascus...
Ukraine: Russia Blows Up
Dam in Latest 'War Crime'
Jun 6, 2023 6:55 AM CDT
Ukraine: Russia Blows Up Dam in Latest 'War Crime'
Thousands live in flood zone along Dnipro River
- Ukraine accuses Russia of blowing up a dam in the Russian-occupied Kherson region, threatening catastrophic flooding. The Kakhovka Hydroelectric Power Plant in Nova Kakhovka, one of six dams along the Dnipro River, holds as much water as Utah's Great Salt Lake, per Reuters . Images show most of the 100-foot...
Judge Says Decorated
Committed War Crimes
Jun 1, 2023 5:47 AM CDT
Judge Says Decorated Australian Veteran Committed War Crimes
Ben Roberts-Smith loses defamation case
- Ben Roberts-Smith, Australia's most decorated living veteran, has lost his defamation case against three newspapers that reported that he had committed war crimes in Afghanistan. After a year-long, high-profile trial, federal Justice Anthony Besanko determined that the newspapers have proven that the former Special Air Services had committed war...
A War Hero's Potential Fall
May 31, 2023 12:57 PM CDT
A War Hero's Potential Fall Rivets Australia
Decorated soldier Ben Roberts-Smith sued newspapers over claims he killed civilians, unarmed captives
- Ben Roberts-Smith of Australia is his nation's most decorated living war veteran, notes the
. But three Australian newspapers printed allegations the 44-year-old is also a war criminal who unlawfully killed six Afghans who were either unarmed prisoners or civilians. Now, after a dramatic and months-long trial that has...
There's an Arrest Warrant
Out for Putin From ICC
Mar 17, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
There's an Arrest Warrant Out for Putin From ICC
Russian president accused of war crimes for unlawful deportation, transfer of Ukrainian children
- Expect Vladimir Putin to continue keeping a low profile. The International Criminal Court said Friday it has issued an arrest warrant for the Russian president for war crimes because of his alleged involvement in abductions of children from Ukraine , per the AP . The court said in a statement that Putin...
In Ukraine, More Grisly
Evidence of Atrocities
Nov 30, 2022 10:20 AM CST
In Ukraine, More Grisly Evidence of Atrocities
EU seeks specialized court to investigate possible Russian war crimes in Ukraine
- Russia's retreat from eastern Ukraine in April revealed what many said was evidence of war crimes . Now, the pattern is repeating in southern Ukraine with the retreat of Russian soldiers from Kherson, the
New York Times
reports, describing "mounting evidence of atrocities" there. In the village of Pravdyne...
Nazi Hunter Vows
'Relentless' Pursuit of
Russian War Criminals
Nov 2, 2022 2:12 PM CDT
Nazi Hunter Vows 'Relentless' Pursuit of Russian War Criminals
Eli Rosebaum is leading Justice Department unit
- Eli Rosenbaum, the renowned "Nazi hunter" who led the US government's pursuit of World War II-era war criminals for decades, is now focusing on Russian war criminals—and he says the hunt will be relentless. Rosenbaum, the 67-year-old son of Jewish refugees from Germany, is now leading the...
Ukrainian Official: We've
Found Torture Chambers
Sep 16, 2022 5:41 AM CDT
Ukrainian Official: We've Found Torture Chambers
'Russia leaves death everywhere,' Zelensky says
- "Russia leaves death everywhere. And it must be held accountable for it," Ukrainian President Volodmyr Zelensky said after hundreds of graves were reportedly found in a mass burial site in a forest near the recently liberated city of Izium. Regional police chief Volodymyr Tymoshko told the BBC that...
Ukraine Has Been
Declared a Crime Scene
Jun 1, 2022 6:11 AM CDT
Ukraine Has Been Declared a Crime Scene
ICC makes declaration as 15K war crimes have been reported since Russia invaded
- Since Russia invaded Ukraine, around 15,000 suspected war crimes have been reported so far—and 200-300 more reports come in every day, Ukraine's chief prosecutor says. Several thousand of those were reported in the eastern Donbas region, where fighting is particularly heavy, the BBC reports. Some of the...
Russian Soldier, 21, Thrown in
Prison for Life for War Crime
May 23, 2022 6:36 AM CDT
Russian Soldier, 21, Thrown in Prison for Life for War Crime
Vadim Shishimarin says he was following orders to kill 62-year-old Ukrainian, asks widow to forgive him
- In a big first in the ongoing war in Ukraine, a Russian soldier has been convicted of a war crime and sentenced to life behind bars. The
reports that 21-year-old Sgt. Vadim Shishimarin heard his fate Monday for a crime committed on Feb. 28, just days after the...
Captured Russian on
His Guilt: 'Yes. Fully Yes'
May 18, 2022 8:26 AM CDT
Captured Russian on His Guilt: 'Yes. Fully Yes'
Soldier is accused of gunning down unarmed 62-year-old civilian
A Russian soldier on Wednesday pleaded guilty to charges of killing a Ukrainian civilian just four days after the war began. Sgt. Vadim Shyshimarin pleaded guilty to shooting a 62-year-old man on a bicycle in Chupakhivka in what is being called the first war crimes trial related to the...
Rushed to Ukraine
Apr 29, 2022 1:11 PM CDT
Emergency Contraception Rushed to Ukraine
'The timeframe for treating victims of sexual violence is really essential'
- Aid groups are rushing thousands of doses of emergency contraception to Ukraine amid reports that large numbers of Ukrainian woman are being raped by Russian troops. The International Planned Parenthood Federation says it has sent nearly 3,000 doses of the "morning-after pill" to Ukraine and other groups are...
Mariupol Officials Say
New Mass Grave Found
Apr 25, 2022 5:09 PM CDT
Mariupol Officials Say New Mass Grave Found
Russia says fire at oil depot near Ukraine border won't cause shortages
- Officials in the embattled Ukrainian city of Mariupol say a new mass grave has been identified north of the city. Mayor Vadym Boychenko said authorities are trying to estimate the number of victims in the grave about 6 miles north of the city, the AP reports. Satellite photos released over...
Mayor: Grave Site Is Proof of
'Century's Biggest War Crime'
Apr 22, 2022 7:22 AM CDT
Mayor: Grave Site Is Proof of 'Century's Biggest War Crime'
Mariupol officials say there could be up to 9K civilians in mass graves
- The mayor of Mariupol says 20,000 or more civilians could have died during Russia's long siege of the Ukrainian city—but Russia has been hiding evidence of war crimes and the true death toll may never be known. The
reports that satellite images show more than...
Putin Rewards the
'Butchers of Bucha'
Apr 19, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
Putin Rewards the 'Butchers of Bucha'
Russian president gives the 64th Motor Rifle Brigade an honorary title
- The Russian infantry unit suspected in the mass killings that filled mass graves in Bucha, Ukraine have now been hailed by Putin for their "mass heroism and valor," per the
The Russian president awarded the honorary title of "Guards" to the 64th Motor Rifle Brigade for...
In Bucha, a Summer Camp
Became a Torture Chamber
Apr 14, 2022 3:38 PM CDT
In Bucha, a Summer Camp Became a Torture Chamber
'Time' journalist visits crime scene in Kyiv suburb
- Bucha, once considered one of Kyiv's most attractive suburbs, is now a "byword for war crimes, like Srebrenica or My Lai," writes Simon Shuster at
, who viewed chilling evidence of atrocities at what used to be a children's summer camp. Residents say the Russian troops...
He Played Dead to
Survive Summary Execution
Apr 9, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
He Played Dead to Survive Summary Execution
Ukrainian man says unit was captured, tortured by Russian soldiers in Bucha
- A Ukrainian man says he was shot in the side and played dead to survive after Russian troops executed the other members of his defense unit. The
says it has verified reports of the summary execution, one of countless horrific stories emerging from towns formerly occupied by Russian troops....
Zelensky Calls for
'Firm Global Response'
to Train Station Attack
Apr 9, 2022 8:30 AM CDT
Zelensky Calls for 'Firm Global Response' to Train Station Attack
Kremlin must be held accountable, he says
- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky is calling for a "firm global response" to what he says was another Russian war crime—an attack on a crowded train station in eastern Ukraine that killed at least 52 civilians and injured around 100 more on Friday. Zelensky said an international tribunal should...
France, Germany Expel
Dozens of Russian Diplomats
Apr 5, 2022 12:01 AM CDT
France, Germany Expel Dozens of Russian Diplomats
Zelensky visits scene of atrocities
- Moscow faced global revulsion and dozens of Russian diplomats were expelled from European countries Monday after the Russian pullout from the outskirts of Kyiv r evealed streets strewn with the corpses of civilians and other evidence of apparent war crimes . The French foreign ministry announced Monday that France has decided...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Husband, Mom of Woman Killed on Wedding Night in Ugly Legal Fight
Judge Sentences Woman to Work in Fast Food Restaurant
Congress' $7.5B for EV Chargers Has Yielded Zero Chargers
Gunman Kills 3 at UNLV, Critically Wounds Another
Kevin McCarthy to Exit the House at Month's End
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.