Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Scammers Clone Exec's Voice,
Steal $35M From Bank
Oct 15, 2021 8:35 AM CDT
Scammers Clone Exec's Voice, Steal $35M From Bank
Dubai investigators say deepfake technology fooled bank manager
- The crimes of the future are here today, according to a court document connected to a $35 million bank heist in the United Arab Emirates. Per the document, investigators in Dubai say a bank manager "received a phone call that claimed to be from the company headquarters. The caller...
The Publishing World
Has Been Battling a
Truly Bizarre Thief
Aug 21, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
The Publishing World Has Been Battling a Truly Bizarre Thief
Someone has been working to access manuscripts for years, but not for profit
- Reeves Wiedeman has spent years trying to unravel a literary-world mystery, and his lengthy recap of his digging for
New York Magazine
is confounding at times. As is the mystery. In simplest terms, for the past four years someone has been using somewhat sophisticated measures to try to steal book...
'Stupidly Obvious' Flaw
Led to Massive Xbox Fraud
Jul 10, 2021 8:00 AM CDT
'Stupidly Obvious' Flaw Led to Massive Xbox Fraud
Microsoft engineer was able to generate millions in fake gift-card codes and sell them
- The crime was audacious, lucrative, and relatively simple—and the mastermind might have gotten away with it had he not gotten too greedy, too fast. Last year, a Microsoft engineer was imprisoned over fraud related to Xbox gift cards, and Bloomberg now offers an in-depth look at Volodymyr Kvashuk's...
Feds Charge Russian
in Plot to Sow Distrust
Sep 11, 2020 12:10 AM CDT
Feds Charge Russian in Plot to Sow Distrust
They say he was part of 'Project Lakhta'
- The Trump administration has charged a Russian national in a sweeping plot to sow distrust in the American political process and imposed sanctions against a Russia-linked Ukrainian lawmaker accused of interfering in the US presidential election. Those actions on Thursday, combined with a Microsoft announcement on hacking attempts targeting US...
Working From Home During
Virus? Beware of 'Zoombombs'
Apr 1, 2020 12:27 PM CDT
Working From Home During Virus? Beware of 'Zoombombs'
FBI warns that hackers are 'hijacking' videoconferencing app
- As the coronavirus pandemic rages on, people stuck at home have taken to using videoconferencing apps to hold work meetings and chat with family and friends. One such app that's become ubiquitous: Zoom, founded by Cisco engineer Eric Yuan. But be careful before you log in for that virtual...
Jan 21, 2020 1:49 PM CST
Brazil Accuses Glenn Greenwald of Cybercrimes
Prosecutors allege the US journalist was involved in hacking phones of officials
- "The reporting will continue." So tweeted American journalist Glenn Greenwald on Tuesday as federal prosecutors in Brazil accused him of cybercrimes. They allege he "helped, encouraged, and guided" phone hackers who accessed messages sent between prosecutors and other officials who were involved in a corruption investigation, reports...
Visa Issues Warning About
Buying Your Gas Like This
Dec 15, 2019 12:45 PM CST
Visa Issues Warning About Buying Your Gas Like This
Using cards at gas pumps can be risky, Visa says
- Ever wonder about the safety of using credit cards at gas pumps? Well, Visa has issued two recent security alerts ( here and here ) about cybercrime groups that have hacked North American fuel dispensers, installed malware, and culled out what appears to be unencrypted card data, ZDNet reports. Seems...
Jan 1, 2019 10:15 AM CST
Johansson Talks Deepfake Porn
The actor laments a seedy Internet practice
- Scarlett Johansson is throwing in the towel: How can deepfake porn be stopped? For the uninitiated, deepfakes are AI-generated videos that place one person's face on another's body to simulate them doing something they'd likely never do, per Business Insider . Deepfakes can be fairly harmless fun—like...
FBI Warns New 'ATM Cash-Out'
Scheme May Be Imminent
Aug 13, 2018 8:24 AM CDT
FBI Warns New 'ATM Cash-Out' Scheme May Be Imminent
An alert was sent to banks on Friday
- "ATM cash-out." It's a phrase that has the ring of a game show but the reality of a nightmare, at least according to the FBI, which has issued a warning about the scheme. Per Krebs on Security , the FBI has been on the receiving end of "...
The World's Biggest
Digital Heist Is Ongoing
Jul 7, 2018 1:40 PM CDT
The World's Biggest Digital Heist Is Ongoing
The Carbanak gang continues, even after a major arrest
- A typhoon was winding down in Taipei on July 10, 2016, but two men braved the rain to make a surprise withdrawal from First Commercial Bank: stacks of bills that the ATM spat out without either man touching a button. They were two of 15 "mules" stealing the equivalent...
Security Breach Hits
Delta, Sears Customers
Apr 6, 2018 12:07 AM CDT
Security Breach Hits Delta, Sears Customers
Malware exposed customers' credit card details
- Delta Air Lines' payment-card information for about "several hundred thousand" airline customers may have been exposed by a malware breach last fall that also hit Sears and other companies. The airline says that the malware attack may have exposed customers' names, addresses, credit card numbers, card security codes, and...
'Jackpotting' Thieves Hit
US ATMs for First Time
Jan 29, 2018 7:34 AM CST
'Jackpotting' Thieves Hit US ATMs for First Time
Sophisticated cybercrime lets criminals steal cash with the press of a button
- With just the press of a button, "cash out crews" have been attacking ATMs around the world, and now apparently in the US. Reuters reports that two big ATM makers, Diebold Nixdorf and NCR Corp., have issued warnings about the so-called "jackpotting" scheme, which has made its way...
Equifax Security Chief's
Degree Was in Music
Sep 16, 2017 10:55 AM CDT
Equifax Security Chief's Degree Was in Music
She is one of 2 senior execs stepping down
- Two senior Equifax execs have stepped down as the investigation of what may be the biggest data breach in US history continues. The credit-reporting firm says security chief Susan Mauldin and chief technology officer David Webb are retiring effective immediately, the
New York Times
reports. After the leak that exposed...
3 Equifax Execs
Sold $1.8M in Stock
Days After Hack
Sep 8, 2017 3:00 AM CDT
3 Equifax Execs Sold $1.8M in Stock Days After Hack Discovered
Company says they didn't know about intrusion
- Days after Equifax discovered a massive security breach affecting 143 million Americans, three senior executives sold off almost $2 million in shares. The company says it discovered the intrusion, which was only made public Thursday, on July 29. Records show that three days later, Chief Financial Officer John Gamble; Joseph...
HBO Hackers Demand
Millions in Ransom
Aug 8, 2017 1:03 AM CDT
HBO Hackers Demand Millions in Ransom
Data dump so far has included 'Game of Thrones' script
- A group of hackers posted a fresh cache of stolen HBO files online Monday and demanded a multimillion-dollar ransom from the network. HBO, which had previously acknowledged the theft of "proprietary information," says it's continuing to investigate and is working with police and cybersecurity experts. In a...
Nude Photos Leaked After
Plastic Surgery Clinics Hacked
May 31, 2017 2:11 AM CDT
Nude Photos Leaked After Plastic Surgery Clinics Hacked
Hackers tried to blackmail clients
- Police in Lithuania say personal data and more than 25,000 private photos—including nude pictures—were made public Tuesday following the hacking of a chain of plastic surgery clinics. Police said a hacking group called Tsar Team broke into the servers of Grozio Chirurgija clinics earlier this year and...
2 Russian Spies, 2 Hackers
Behind Yahoo Hack: Reports
Mar 15, 2017 10:44 AM CDT
2 Russian Spies, 2 Hackers Behind Yahoo Hack: Reports
Sources say they're to be indicted Wednesday by Justice Department
- The Justice Department is set to make a big announcement Wednesday about the massive 2014 Yahoo data breach, which affected 500 million users : the indictment of Dmitry Dokuchaev and his boss Igor Sushchin, both Russian spies from the Federal Security Service intelligence agency, as well as Russia-hired hackers Alexsey Belan...
Hollywood Hospital Pays Bitcoin Ransom to Hackers
Feb 18, 2016 3:00 AM CST
Hollywood Hospital Pays Bitcoin Ransom to Hackers
They demanded bitcoins to unlock computer systems
- A Hollywood hospital faced with an alarming 21st-century dilemma caved in and paid a $17,000 ransom to hackers holding its computer systems hostage. Hollywood Presbyterian Medical Center CEO Allen Stefanek says hackers infected the private 434-bed hospital's systems with malware and wouldn't restore them until they received...
Abu Dhabi Jails Woman for
Facebook Picture of Car
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Jul 19, 2015 7:00 PM CDT
Abu Dhabi Jails Woman for Facebook Picture of Car
Jodi Magi has 'zero idea' why she's in trouble for post about parking
- They could have just washed her mouth out with soap, but instead Abu Dhabi officials threw Australian Jodi Magi in jail for posting a picture of a parked car online, Australia's ABC News reports. It started in February when Magi, annoyed at a driver who took up two handicap-parking...
IRS to 104K Taxpayers:
Thieves Stole Your
Data on Our Site
May 26, 2015 6:40 PM CDT
IRS to 104K Taxpayers: Thieves Stole Your Data on Our Site
Agency shuts down 'Get Transcript' service temporarily
- More than 100,000 people are about to get an unpleasant letter from the IRS, but it doesn't involve the word "audit." Instead, think cyber-theft. The agency said today that online criminals tapped into the information of 104,000 people though the IRS' popular "Get Transcript"...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Secrets of Playboy 's Hugh Hefner Allegations Are Graphic
'Stealth Omicron' Has Arrived in the US
In This City, a US First on Gun Ownership
After 6 Years in Jail for Staying Mum on Gold, a New Roadblock
Melania Trump's Hat 'Collateral Damage' of Crypto Crash
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.